• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Utilt and bair beat it. Those are the only ones I know for sure though. Fair, nair, uair, dair, usmash, dtilt if they're low enough to the ground, and a Gordo probably also beat it. I'm pretty sure Inhale doesn't beat it though. I have no idea about jab but I know Marth's jab can stop Falco's sideB so who knows.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Bair would have to be spaced properly.
The hitbox is behind falco, any attack timed properly will beat it except neutral air, which is so far inward on us that our hurtbux is exposed.
Uptilt must be timed properly if they are at the level of your feet or body, wouldn't recomened it. Down air is my favorite option.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
**** it Beefy, change the title to King DeDeDe Q&A or something... >_> Apparently, it confuses some people.
I think having the word "Questions" catches people's attention more than "Q&A". It's just that newer folks need to observe more and not click away.
i meant hold shield and press A to continue regrabbing (during an infinite).

also the first post is kind of a mess. i would have never thought to look there.
Holding shield and then pressing "A" doesn't work through the infinite cycle because it's just not quick enough. It doesn't work, sorry you're going to have to do it the way it's done normally.

The first post isn't a mess at all...it's like what I quoted above this is about. People need to observe what's there more and not rush. I put an introductory paragraph in there, and then the Contents are there.

wht beats falcos side b ? does D3 multipe jabs stop phantom ?? and wht about inhale ??
Even if the jab works...just don't do it. I've tried at times and it's too laggy to time correctly. You have many better options...
Yes the Gordo works but Inhale does not sadly. Gates is correct about all of the moves he said, but let's get serious here and only list the ones that are the best options, or else the mind will be juggled and somewhat confused.
Crashic listed one of the better ones, down air. But from what I've done in the past, up tilt works great but only for the kill (95%ish or above....you need to try it more Crashic). If you predict the sideB blindly and do up tilt right away, King Dedede's "nodding" frame will still hit Falco off his sideB, so you can do it earlier than you think and still kill him with it.
Best ones are: Down air and properly spaced back air [Both for all purposes besides killing]
Up tilt for the kill. And forward air for the kill if Falco does his sideB out of up tilt's range.

The rest are true that Gates said but need unnecessary timing, or the properties of the moves suck for the situation.

tekkie

Smash Master
since the best video in the "Best Vids of Each Character" thread isn't what I was hoping for, can anyone recommend D3 matches that are good representations of Dedede's playing style at its best?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Just watch vids of CO18, Seibrik, lain, and Atomsk and old videos of M2K.

Can't really think of anything specific sorry.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raDIZvv7bHY

This has always been my personal favorite.
That video doesn't even show half of his moveset because of the specific matchup. It won't really give an idea to Tekkie of what King Dedede is about except for the Wario matchup.
Sorry but just search on youtube for the above mentioned players and you should get a glimpse. Or look at Seibrik's video thread...it should be one of the first five threads in the list below the stickies.

Hyliandescent

Smash Rookie
I'd have to agree with you completely gates, M2K was deff ahead of his time, I mean look at the way he plays that D3. I actually ran into him recently in an Ohio turny, I didn't see the end results but I know he played meta knight and kicked some ***

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
And to think that most Dededes have only begun to play similarly a few months ago...M2K was really ahead of his time.
If you all think and comprehend the underlined portion, it doesn't make any literal sense in this context. I think Gates meant that Mew2King was really ahead of the metagame-time secretly, and that he knew just about everything about the game before it was figured out by others.

And Hyliandescent...I would say it's not the way he played King Dedede, but it's the way he read his opponent during the match the whole time.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
OOS pivot grab is one very, very good with D3.
There are loads of others I think have potential, but I won't recommended them till I or someone else test their use in tournament.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
are there any advanced techniques with Dedede worth learning?
I'd say every advanced technique is worth using (except one that I'm not listing) so I'll list them out to you. Unfortunately, King Dedede has no exclusive advanced techniques...just the "true" ones, meaning that every character can do it.
1.) Jab cancel > Do a jab and during the frames of him swinging the hammer, press the Shield button and it will cancel the jab so you can do any move afterwards without worrying about the second jab coming out.
2.) Pivot Grab > While running or dashing one direction, press "Z" and C-stick the opposite way at the same time. Or I think press C-stick the opposite way a tinsey bit before hitting "Z".
3.) Forward Smash with an Item > Pick up an item (including Diddy Kong's banana peels, Peach's turnips, or R.O.B.'s Gyro) and keep hold of the "A" button. You'll be able to do a forward smash while holding the item by pressing the C-stick in the appropriate direction.
4.) Hugging > Run off the stage and immediately press down and slightly to the left/right to grab the ledge. (This fast way of grabbing the ledge pretty much replaces Wavedashing backwards to the ledge from Melee.)
5.) Fox Trot > Do the same input on the control stick as you would do for dashing, and just let go of the control stick and you'll get that fast motion.

They're all easy to pick-up.

:laugh:

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Wow, that was incredible. He played the Wario matchup almost perfectly. And to think that most Dededes have only begun to play similarly a few months ago...M2K was really ahead of his time.
On the contrary I don't think reflex played the matchup right.

PS I was at that tourney

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The metagame is still all MK Serin wtf are you talking about.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Not really.
Ally
ADHD

In fact, what is the percent of Metaknight winning major tournaments in the past 4 months? I'd imagine its strongly diminished.
And wasn't that vid pre MK fever? I thought MK started when Mew2King called him the best character in the game.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Last few posts are a little too spammy. There was actually a slight discussion so I let it slide, but yeah. Stick to actual questions please.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
hey all, so i got back into college recently, so i've been playing some pretty decent people at bu, and i finally got some recorded matches so my ddd can finally be critiqued! my friend posted up like 20 vids, so i'll pick and choose a few to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48qjcWAk4o&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=6 me vs. snake, i won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct8zw28Xlf8&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=7 another one vs. snake, lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdksQpiRuwA&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=12 me vs. his falco, lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkL4qJNmos&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=13 again vs. falco, won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3XavzvXq08&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=16 one against a kirby, different guy playing here, lost

he wasn't able to upload any of the matches we had on smashville =( which is my favorite stage. if you really care to see other vids here's the playlist but it's really much the same: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=85A7CFD58518B555

i also understand that i suck at chaingrabbing so i've worked on it since these matches have occurred. i don't know if he can still get out with the nades, but nowadays he rarely uses snake against my ddd and prefers using falco against me now. i'm working on integrating oos bairs (you guys with tap jump off, do you just do jump to cstick real quick or have another jump button like L, or what? its been an issue for me), and as of late i've begun to use lagless fairs and dairs much more effectively, though there aren't any recent vids with me using em well =/. i'll get more vids up when i play on his wii again, since he's the only one with infinite replay.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
hey all, so i got back into college recently, so i've been playing some pretty decent people at bu, and i finally got some recorded matches so my ddd can finally be critiqued! my friend posted up like 20 vids, so i'll pick and choose a few to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48qjcWAk4o&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=6 me vs. snake, i won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct8zw28Xlf8&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=7 another one vs. snake, lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdksQpiRuwA&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=12 me vs. his falco, lost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkL4qJNmos&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=13 again vs. falco, won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3XavzvXq08&feature=PlayList&p=85A7CFD58518B555&index=16 one against a kirby, different guy playing here, lost

he wasn't able to upload any of the matches we had on smashville =( which is my favorite stage. if you really care to see other vids here's the playlist but it's really much the same: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=85A7CFD58518B555

i also understand that i suck at chaingrabbing so i've worked on it since these matches have occurred. i don't know if he can still get out with the nades, but nowadays he rarely uses snake against my ddd and prefers using falco against me now. i'm working on integrating oos bairs (you guys with tap jump off, do you just do jump to cstick real quick or have another jump button like L, or what? its been an issue for me), and as of late i've begun to use lagless fairs and dairs much more effectively, though there aren't any recent vids with me using em well =/. i'll get more vids up when i play on his wii again, since he's the only one with infinite replay.
Ah Dawall... it's been too long since you've last introduced yourself to these boards lol.
To answer your almost-hidden question in that paragraph...Always use Tap Jump off because that tap jump can interfere with chances where you might up tilt kill somebody. And that's the only configuration that you really need with King Dedede so don't switch any of button...including "L" to jump lol. And I personally just do the regular "-->, A" for a back air if I ever do it out of shield or to shorthop it in general. C-stick isn't any faster to be honest.
And that kid is smart to use Falco more against you because it's one of our toughest matchups while Snake is near Even...and the kid just doesn't know the King Dedede matchup with Snake.

Judging by the first video against Snake...like you said you really need to work on the timing of chaingrabbing this guy. He's not hard at all to master chaingabbing at without him pulling out a grenade. And you walk way too much here. You can walk at points where he's recovering high or sometimes approaching his campy state, but never do it excessively. You should be dashing and cancelling with shield more against Snake only whenever you approach him at the right time. Try to get used to seeing Snake pulling out a grenade in shield, and don't attack him there, it'll save you 10%. And when you receive vertical knockback, it's better to use back air to help with Directional Influence, not down air. I saw that you just barely survived that up tilt on the second video. Other than that, you have a great mentality for the matchup Dawall.
Against Falco, you need to down air camp more with a mix of Inhale. He cannot punish it when you have an extra jump and it puts him in the air. Good job on avoiding his chaingrab the majority of the game though. And when you down throwed him and he just stayed on the ground for a little...don't forward tilt him when he has that low percent because you'll get punished as you did. Do down tilt instead of you see him laying there again.
Okay you seem to walk against everybody all the time. Walk less, dash/shield more and balance them. No need to explain there.
And you need to add Inhhale, Down Smash, and pummeling more into your game, that's very important. Utilize your whole moveset to the best it can be (except Jet Hammer.)
4/5

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
thanks! haha, walking more often is something i've been trying to work on since you can do more things out of the walk then from a dash, but i suppose walking too much isn't the best idea either. I inhale a lot more against characters that can't punish me for it as easily as falco and snake can with their lasers and grenades. i go for it every so often, but i guess i should go for it more, i just remember times where i got lasered to usmash cuz i inhaled. as for di, is bair also the best choice horizontally? i heard a fast falled fair can work well too, but i'm not sure. pummeling is something i really need to remember, i never pummel =/. down smash i should also try to do, i generally kill with utilt, bair or fair, using dsmash would be good too. i'm trying to work the buuman trap into my game, i just needa learn the spacing for it.

Hyliandescent

Smash Rookie
I read a few threads that talked about working on one thing or "tech" at a time.. So definitely try to put these things into your game, but take your time.. and work on them one by one.. in my opinion it really seems to let you get a handle on things better

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
i go for it every so often, but i guess i should go for it more,

as for di, is bair also the best choice horizontally? i heard a fast falled fair can work well too, but i'm not sure.
Yes go for Inhale more often, but don't excess on it, and do not use it occasionally.

When knocked far which aerials are best for momentum canceling? bair,uair,dair,fair?
I'm sure you're talking about Directional Influence (DI), so the best to use when you're knocked back vertically, you should use back air. When knocked back horizontally, DI downwards following a forward air. When knocked back diagonally either the left or the right corners of offstage, use back air.

^ ^ ^[Got that staight from the first post.] Seriously guys...read the Question History. There's a lot of useful facts and information in there. If one was very determined to read a guide in the "Grand United Royal Guide", then you won't have any problem reading the Question History.
Thank you for your input Hyliandescent.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I actually have a new strat with DDD in working on. I've found i have the most agressive approaching wall as a DDD, its weird.

When someone is on the ledge, i space and time f-tilts, then if i see my ftilt out, and THEN see movement, i spam jab, just the first hit, cuz i belive its his fastest move, and its weak enough that it puts them back on the ledge, and nothing else......

I'll try to get vid examples soon, but thats how i've been incorporating jabs into my game most.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Why Fair beef? We should always use Bair. Its not like it extends our hitbox that much.
Why? Because it simply does better at DI when receiving horizontal knockback after fastfalling. Also adding the fact that back air will slightly stretch our body the other way and there's a chance we'll die from that. Snake's back air is for the same reason when they receive vertical knockback. His body "shrinks".

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I actually have a new strat with DDD in working on. I've found i have the most agressive approaching wall as a DDD, its weird.

When someone is on the ledge, i space and time f-tilts, then if i see my ftilt out, and THEN see movement, i spam jab, just the first hit, cuz i belive its his fastest move, and its weak enough that it puts them back on the ledge, and nothing else......

I'll try to get vid examples soon, but thats how i've been incorporating jabs into my game most.
IIRC, our grab is our fastest move. I'd more than likely be better to try to dtilt them so you have spaced them enough to try to edgeguard them. Just a thought though.

Top Bottom