• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta GOML 2016 (Top 96) Impressions

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
iStudying had a 50% lead on Alph before he died to a KO punch.

And then that Mac proceeded to nearly beat Nairo. A player with more expericence, more skill, and is using a better character.

Like . . . how is it safe to write greninja off just from this?

:150:

Djent

Smash Champion
Because it's not just from this tournament. 25th at Pound and 7th at that one MW tournament were (IIRC) also underperformances relative to iStudying's seeding.

Last edited:

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Leo down 2-0 after zero made a clutch gimp
Zero takes it 3-2 in a nutty series

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Cloud seems to give Zero a hard time. No wonder he thinks the character's broken.

:059:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
zero is powering up tho, he could beat ally if he gets there, he is good vs ally

but then he has to take this next game vs leo

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
If Zero really thought Cloud was broken, he'd be playing Cloud.

/s... maybe.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
ZeRo BARELY clutches it out 3-2 vs. Leo

This really should put the Mew2King set into perspective

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm gonna admit that I was never the biggest Leo believer, but goddamn I'm enlightened after this tournament. Kid is a monster.

AxelVDP

Smash Apprentice
"better character this better character that"
what counts in a game is not how good you character is on the tierlist, but how the tools between the 2 characters interact (aka the matchup)

LittleMac is certainly not a high tier character (neither is he a low tier but i digress), but his matchup against ZSS is not actually a terrible one (in general I feel like Mac has a lot of unfavorable matchups but basically none is unwinnable (or terribly hard))

anyways, props to Alphicans for putting in the work

what an amazing tournament

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Dtilt to upsmash is Diddy's clutch, gave Zero all his kills - Emphasis on 'gave', no 50/50 di reads but a straight up guaranteed kill confirm.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
And Leo is out after almost making a comeback from ZeRo's terror!

ZeRo moves on 3-2!

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Jesus Christ that ZeRo-Leo match must be the most hype set in the history of Smash 4.

(yes I lied)

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Cloud seems to give Zero a hard time. No wonder he thinks the character's broken.

Well I mean, there's an argument to be made for this character being the best in the game, so is it really that shocking? Remember, it is M2K we're talking about.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Yea, that dtilt is monsterous. With banana counterplay being very evolved at the top, Diddy relies more on his normals after the nana interaction. Felt like Zero got tripped as much as he tripped others, yet the bana still controls the pace and makes his shield amazing.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Because it's not just from this tournament. 25th at Pound and 7th at that one MW tournament were (IIRC) also underperformances relative to iStudying's seeding.
This is the most important point here.

GOML has actually been very successful for iStudying/Greninja. 17th is great at a tournament with 500 entrants and top USA talent. You all have very short memories - Marth and Yoshi were lauded for getting 17th at Pound. iStudying losses were to the best Fox in the world and a guy who took Nairo to 2-2. This particular performance doesn't prove anything about Greninja and it's becoming a Pikachu situation where people write him off as crap when ESAM doesn't get top 3, which is ridiculous.

However.

We are NOT seeing top 16 presence from supposedly the best Greninja in the world. Whilst this performance is good from a standalone perspective, this is the 3rd "good" performance when at least one of them should have been "great". Whether the issue lies with iStudy (jetlag?) or the character himself isn't super clear right now but Greninja really hasn't had that Abadango/Mewtwo moment which proves he's a real contender. BEAST was great, but it was still half the size of Pound in a weaker region.

I'm also constantly finding myself thinking like "okay, iStudy should do well if he fights him, but he has to avoid that guy, and that one..." whereas I think Abadango could plow through anyone with Mewtwo on a good day - Sheiks, Sonics, Foxes, the lot.

Frog future is not looking good right now. And if I'm saying that, you know things are serious.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Leo should make the switch to Cloud honestly.

We see that MK doesn't have what it takes to be a top level threat; not even Leo can get strong results with solo MK.

Regardless, I'm really happy he's fully proving his worth as a player.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Felt like I was the only one rooting for Zero. lol
That M2K Nario match was something else. Sad to see M2K not capitalize on that last whiffed UpB. Could have used Finishing Touch or even his own UpB.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Nairo 3-1 Mew2King

M2K choked a bit. Definitely got shaken up by the losses to Leffen, Lurr, and n0ne. The latter in Melee probably hurt the most since he's usually a Falcon slayer.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I'd love to see MKLeo's neutral on the frog. Im hype thinking about it.

If only people couldn't DI away, or he had a solid mixup kill for DI up+away... alas.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Leo should make the switch to Cloud honestly.

We see that MK doesn't have what it takes to be a top level threat; not even Leo can get strong results with solo MK.

Regardless, I'm really happy he's fully proving his worth as a player.
I think MK did fine tbh, he beat Nairo going all MK.

Djent

Smash Champion
Leo beats Nairo, but loses to ZeRo.
M2K beats ZeRo and loses to Nairo.

Sad that the crowd favorites lost, but at least bracket symmetry is preserved. :estatic:

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Kinda not really related to tourney itself but I'm thankful for all the people here reporting outcomes in the tourney for those who can't watch right now but still want to be kept up to speed on what's going on

Super diverse results so far though! Seeing some very unexpected characters like Shulk and Little Mac making it this far along with not so popular ones like Ike and Greninja is really cool to see.

Loser's bracket was absolutely stacked today and I have no idea who's even gonna take this

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ally's not gonna lose to anybody today. I think he only lost a single game so far, against Leo's Marth.

Edit: And just as I say it Larry takes a game off him ...

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I think MK did fine tbh, he beat Nairo going all MK.
The ZSS MU is very possibly even. The Mario and Diddy MU's are not, so that factors in. Leo, Nairo, Ally, and ZeRo are roughly on the same skill level, and are the best reps of their mains, so such sets are good representations of how such MU's play. MK did very good for his supposed high-tier placement; my point is he definitely isn't solo viable at the top level, which some still say he is.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Nairo vs. ZeRo again

Last time they fought iirc was at Genesis 3 crews which was a bodybag

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, after ZeRo's victory over Leo I think anything else is just the wrapper. First time facing off versus Nairo since Genesis is hype and all, but we already got the emotional high point of the tournament. Not even gonna care if ZeRo gets eliminated.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The ZSS MU is very possibly even. The Mario and Diddy MU's are not, so that factors in. Leo, Nairo, Ally, and ZeRo are roughly on the same skill level, and are the best reps of their mains, so such sets are good representations of how such MU's play. MK did very good for his supposed high-tier placement; my point is he definitely isn't solo viable at the top level, which some still say he is.
Holy **** it's like MK is the only character in the game with mus. You need to ****ing stop. Mario has SEVERAL awful mus with other top tiers (rosa, cloud) and anyone saying he's not top level needs to have their ****ing head checked. That's not how this **** works. In fact as the game is right now, MOST of the top tiers have counter mus.

Like damn you just watched Leo place 5th at an international tournament with MK + Cloud. And MK isn't top level viable? Cut it out.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Breakout performance of the tournament is definitely Little Mac, courtesy of Alphicans. Getting to Top 16 and taking Nairo to the absolute limit is no joke.

Ike, courtesy of Sans had probably the second-strongest performance from a non Top Tier. After that, Darkwolf's Shulk got to a Top 16 (and did well against Alphicans even though he got 3-0d in the end). People will be disappointed in iStudying's Greninja but he still made Top 32 in a very stacked field. Marth also made some appearences and did very well - Mr. E took Ally to Game 3 and really should've ended up in Top 16, some stupid crap happened in his last matches.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
ZeRo 3-0s Nairo.

The fact ZeRo is pulling this run after months off and with an injured finger is just nuts

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZeRo 3-0s Nairo.

The fact ZeRo is pulling this run after months off and with an injured finger is just nuts
Every time he takes a break and pulls off these wins shows me exactly how far ahead of everyone he was at his peak.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
Zero is leveling up every time he plays. Maybe he just needed to get back into the swing of things.

Top Bottom