• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gliding over tall buildings in a single shuttle loop: The Meta Knight Social

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
I feel like Mario has more priority than MK where it matters. Also, about Fox, the difference between Fox and MK is that Fox has a projectile. This would mean that in a situation where Fox or MK is being overwhelmed for whatever reason, Fox can go back and laser camp, whereas MK has to space, and MK ain't no Marth.

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I can't figure out exactly how to play that MU at times >.>. I mainly avoid grabs above all else and shoot out shffl nairs until they get into a good position to be combo'd.

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
Well, that's just something you can do with most characters in the roster xD. I figured it was common knowledge. I was talking about the other approaches MK has.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Really you can just play D-throw tech chase to like 100% and dsmash. But that is my style I'm very grab originate make your own style

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so moves that do not require a lot of inputs are better for ridding projectiles

dettadeus

Smash Lord
interesting note that i hadn't found before

when edge cancelling on platforms, it is easiest to actually land on the platform near the edge without glide dropping or glide attacking, the landing animation has a fairly long slide that is simpler and smoother than glide attacking (and for those who have not tried it, the glide drop landing lag cannot be edge-cancelled)

kind of sucks because i spent so much time practicing edge-cancelled glide attacks while recovering ; -;

also at apex i got nintendude's peach to game 3 after an absolutely insane comeback in game 2, wish it was recorded but i read him super hard and killed him with a glide attack at like 100 while i was at 140

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
If it weren't for my job, I would have gone to Apex X_X.

So how would you describe the way you all play MK? I tend to rely less on grabs and more on a rush-down, circle-around kind of playstyle.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I always have the plan to grab in my mind, that is the most abusive thing about his game is his easy tech chase and since I play Marth in melee I'm very comfortable with gimping space animals [ Thanks you prince(ss) ] and specially with four jumps and godlike priority. I think that I can utilize him the best I want to start making a MetaKnight guide soon or just build off of detta's not sure what I'll be doing.

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
So when you guys d-throw tech chase, how do you guys react to what they do? I must be doing something wrong because I never manage to get past the second d-throw.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
i techchase 90% on reaction and 10% on knowing that they generally only have one good option in the first place

also for some stupid reason whenever i techchase people to the edge and bthrow them to reset the stage positioning and continue the techchase, they always tech roll away thinking that i'm not fast enough to catch them

my general flow chart for it is this though
1. dthrow
2. check DI
2a: di'd up and in - dash > SH nair > regrab or dash > sh fair > uair > nair etc, or instant dimensional cape at kill percents
2b: di'd down and away - dash foward, crouch to cancel run animation
3. did they tech?
3a: no - ftilt > regrab or dtilt hilt hitbox > nair/etc, or instant dimensional cape at kill percents
3b: yes, in place - regrab
3c: yes, behind - dash back, regrab
3d: yes, away - dash foward, regrab or instant dimensional cape at kill percents (they will probably be DI'ing with it still due to teching away and so it will kill earlier)

this is virtually inescapable until you either hit an edge or they DI in
once you hit an edge you have three options which are all hard DI mixups

dthrow at the edge is arguably the worst for an opponent at high percents - if they DI correctly (down and away) you cannot get anything guaranteed except sometimes on super floaty chars, but they are in a terrible position to recover against a superb edgeguarding character. if they DI incorrectly (up and in), you have guaranteed nair and IDC against basically every character in the game and it will kill at like 80-90% on most stages regardless of DI
fthrow at the edge is a very good DI mixup with bthrow, especially if you have been shown to habitually bthrow them when you get to the edge to continue a techchase - it is basically impossible to DI on reaction (unlike dthrow and arguably bthrow), if they were DI'ing for a bthrow (down and away from you, therefore towards center stage - technically survival DI), you have guaranteed nair and IDC even at kill percents on most chars (haven't tested with really floaty chars like jiggs because i rarely play against them). if they were DI'ing for a dthrow (hopefully down and away from you and the stage) then you still have basically the same options but you will probably kill yourself with IDC
bthrow at the edge is good at low percents, hard to DI on reaction, and continues tech chases by forcing the opponent back on stage, also if you condition your opponent to expect this when you grab by the edge you will get super free kills with fthrow

uthrow is bad don't use it please

didn't really intend to write paragraphs on this but w/e now people know how it's done

also since i think it will be useful here:
some people in my scene were calling me out for only recovering with shuttle loop in my match against arcadia at apex so i wrote some stuff on why i think mk's other recovery options are terrible generally

basically the reasons i dislike other recovery options are thus:

once you dimensional cape up, you have three options: attempt to grab the edge with no jumps when every aerial you could cover yourself with has too much endlag to be used without missing the ledge, attempt to dair onstage which won't work against a good opponent because there are literally only two places you can land with it, or get hit by a non-killing move, DI up, and try a different option (your only viable one will be shuttle loop at this point)

as i mentioned before, dimensional caping to the edge while offstage is dangerous because you have a good chunk of endlag where you can do literally nothing if you want a chance at grabbing the ledge; this would only be useful against a character that goes out to edgeguard you, which doesn't exist because you are metaknight and designed to beat basically everyone offstage

if you sideb to the edge, any character with disjoints and a move that can hit at or below the ledge can literally kill you for trying to sweetspot; marth happens to be one of these characters. against characters with few or no moves like this sideb is a safe option and i sometimes use it because the last hit has a pretty big hitbox and deters people from edgeguarding me when they realize i can combo off it when they get too close

tornado is a generally bad recovery move because it's priority was huuuuuugely nerfed, but it does have the most vertical recovery distance outside of shuttle loop. it can't be sweetspotted or edge cancelled like his other recovery options because of its special endlag properties; it always has a certain number of endlag frames and will play them out entirely regardless of whether you are in the air or on the ground, or transition between the two. if you land in the last few frames of this endlag it will appear to autocancel on the ground, but if you land too early or go into special fall you will get the remainder of the lag or the heavy landing animation, respectively. it is unarguably the most punishable of his recovery options

Last edited:

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
I've just always been in an awkward place to react. I guess walking up to them after the grab should allow me the ability to react accordingly to their techs.

Oh, and since we're the only MK's talkin' in here, how well are you two doing in tournaments with MK?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I got wrecked by a diddy, I knew what to do against him but I guess it's a match-up knowledge thing then I got wrecked by Mario cause MK can't clank with his fireballs unless he uses dash attack which is really bad. Not playing that match-up anymore lol.

But overall I still need work but I do wreck a lot of people in my region in PM no one can beat me

I got to make a Metakinght guide lol.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Friendlies I understand not tech chasing but in Tourney you need too, what would falcon be without tech chasing

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Yeah dude the worst position in smash is on the ground so why not keep them there?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I'll make a list when I can, I can't find my Brawl disc and I have to get a new sensor bar

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i may just end up converting to mk pretty soon so i may as well say hello here. i already know dmx and detta may not know my name. detta i was at apex and on thursday night you came into my room and played a bowser in brawl friendlies. i was that bowser.

so i guess i have to meet anyone else who shows up here :p i hope to actually get my mk up to par with monkey

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
i may just end up converting to mk pretty soon so i may as well say hello here. i already know dmx and detta may not know my name. detta i was at apex and on thursday night you came into my room and played a bowser in brawl friendlies. i was that bowser.

so i guess i have to meet anyone else who shows up here :p i hope to actually get my mk up to par with monkey
Monkey?

dettadeus

Smash Lord

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

bowser

i went back to that room like two more nights lol, played verm in brawl and then just played melee for a while

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

bowser

i went back to that room like two more nights lol, played verm in brawl and then just played melee for a while
verm is the man. epic low tier matches in our room all weekend. also some random guy came to our room and somehow knew bowser frame data. now i know frame traps and grab releases on puff i didnt previously know :p

also back to the main topic of this thread. my mk is noob but i really wanna get better with him. i would like to know any little tricks with him that have been discovered. unless there are none yet :x

Run DMX

Smash Cadet
I miss your Mewtwo ;.;

So I've found that IDC upon tech chasing, even outside of kill percentage, is extremely useful. Very easy to do and guarantees to knock them off a small stage. I've done it multiple times in a tournament I just went to.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
does IDC mean instant dimensional cape?

wait nvm.. this proves how noob i am with mk doesnt it -.-

Top Bottom