• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gliding over tall buildings in a single shuttle loop: The Meta Knight Social

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
mario, at worst, goes 5-5 with everyone. everyone. there is no exception to this. e v e r y o n e

hello there, I spent 4 days without internet and spent those four days figuring out how to recover perfectly from a reverse shuttle loop onto each competitive stage

anyone who tells you metaknight has bad vertical recovery is an awful person

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Hoping they keep the core mechanics of this character they have in this build. Just love the combination of a somewhat fast faller with 4 jumps.

Such a good ground and air game.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I believe Mario goes at least 5-5 with everyone (I acknowledge there's probably very few exceptions, though), but I have to agree about MK's vertical recovery. It's not terrible, nor is it bad. It's not even meh. It's downright... good.
The distance isn't half as bad as some people are making it out to be, and between Shuttle Loop, Dimensional Cape, and Tornado, he has a lot of options. I go for offstage gimps nearly every chance I get (granted, I rarely go particularly deep) and have had no trouble getting back on stage, whether the gimp succeeds or fails. I guess that is kind of matchup dependent, though.

In all fairness, my opinion about recoveries (especially vertical ones) is probably a little biased as a Falco main. At the rate things are going, though, I'll probably end up an MK main.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
His vertical recovery isn't very good, but his horizontal recovery is amazing. Now no characters can do actually do the Hyrule jump, now.

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
Yes, but it still robs you of all your jumps, which I saw Meta Knight do after an aerial DC.

So yea, I was playing CPU MK on green hill zone...
Landed a clean Fair on MK, dropped a spring to make sure he didn't get back. MK uses 2 jumps before getting hit by spring, uses DC, and jumps twice more to reach the ledge.

Something's fishy.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Mario going 5:5 with everyone is untrue. His approaching is overrated and people still run into Dair hardcore.

Maybe DC keeps track of your remaining jumps, and gives them back to you if you get hit. If he completes the move, then he loses them all regardless. That's my guess maybe?

K@$h

Smash Cadet
the ai for ivysaur got some good buffs i think. im find him pretty hard to kill now/
MK Vs Dk is pretty fun aswell

Bryonato

Green Hat
nothing wrong with wiimote and nunchuck lol. if he beats you consistently you might want to look further than just the character he is using

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
wiimote and nunchuck isn't a magical be-awful device, people can use that stuff well (I believe one of brawl's better players uses it solely). you have a capture card of any sort? it seems pretty explicit that there's something he's consistently punishing you with

NeroFerk

Smash Rookie
wiimote and nunchuck isn't a magical be-awful device, people can use that stuff well (I believe one of brawl's better players uses it solely). you have a capture card of any sort? it seems pretty explicit that there's something he's consistently punishing you with
no but i will get one soon anyone know how much would one cost?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
His vertical recovery isn't very good, but his horizontal recovery is amazing. Now no characters can do actually do the Hyrule jump, now.
Do you mean the reverse Hyrule jump? DDD can do it easily and I think a couple others can too, but using AGT.

Also Meta Knight can of course make it from either far side of Hyrule to the other going completely under every structure just using glide. I assume Pit can as well..?

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
So if you dair Snake from above during his up-B, you trade with it (get knocked upwards and out of dair) and he gets knocked downwards a good distance.

Erotaku

Smash Rookie
Been an MK main since 2.6 release; I've noticed that his tornado is a fairly strong recovery option, both horizontal and vertical.
Also, is it just me or is his d-throw tech chase game fairly solid?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Yeah, Risky was playing him really well, there were a few things I think he could've done better though (not using Uthrow > Thunder against opponents who are used to DI'ing it, or in general) and he made the matchup seem a lot more difficult than I initially thought it would be, lol.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
So I think I've decided to jump on and play as MK more. I never really played as him in Brawl, but wow he's so comfortable for me on PM.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
so ever since DMG mentioned at one point about a dthrow tech chasing vortex, I've been wondering how constant you could actually make that work

ftilt once makes for a good jab reset, SHFFL nair can be a nice OS possibly

hmmmmm. wait do ppl not named oak even go on these boards

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmm, watching vids of the shuttle-loop -> ledge cancel shennanigans under a ledge got me thinking...

the SL covers pretty much the whole edge, could it itself be used to edguard in a balls-out manner?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
so ever since DMG mentioned at one point about a dthrow tech chasing vortex, I've been wondering how constant you could actually make that work

ftilt once makes for a good jab reset, SHFFL nair can be a nice OS possibly

hmmmmm. wait do ppl not named oak even go on these boards
I've had success making this work by just regrabbing on reaction. Using attacks like nair invites things like ASDI down+tech, grabs ignore that.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can reverse Shuttle Loop only sweet spot the ledge when you do it from the ground? I can't seem to get it to work in the air.

Example: on Hyrule Temple if you stand here:

And Up-B facing the right, you grab the ledge above. But I can't get that to happen (on any ledge) if I initiate Up-B in the air. Am I bad or does this just not work?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I know for a fact you can't do it from the air, so it's possible the grounded UpB reverse grabbox was overlooked since there aren't really any competitively legal stages you can do that on.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Sooo, is it just me... or are the Nado and Drill rush extremely similar in usage in most all aspects?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
How do you guys deal with CC? Since almost all his moves don't force some kind of stagger, multi-hit, and weak, it's really hard to beat something like CC dsmash (especially mario since he can play a grounded cc game).

I would hope the answer isn't simply something like "dash dance grab."

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
well, DD grab has kind of become a depressingly huge chunk of his game, yeah

I hope they nerf dthrow so bad. maybe make uthrow useful to compensate, but I just want to do silly aerial approaches

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Or make dair not an insanely high committed attack. I hate it so much .-.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Dtilt/strong Nair are both pretty good vs CC in my experience. RAR Bair theoretically wouldn't be bad but I'm not a huge fan of bair. Grounded Shuttle Loop if you're in an area where you can ledge cancel it reliably.

Top Bottom