• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gliding over tall buildings in a single shuttle loop: The Meta Knight Social

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Yooooo did you just upair footstool orly in that friendly lawn? That was sick, except your follow up was ass lol. But still slick as ****.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You outspace Yoshi at some angles, sh fair or d-tilt for example. Also dashdancing is great here because Yoshi doesn't have a horizontal projectile and his grab isn't that good. If your opponent deals with your moves as you describe it working on fundamentals will probably also help because the matchup plays itself pretty intuitively.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Want to watch me look at my godly play for an hour?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Plup has clearly the better fundamentals and reads and that top player mentality but I actually like your move choice more. For example you do more spaced d-tilts (pretty safe) in situations where Plup normally nairs and nair on shield isn't that safe. Those up-air combos are also pretty good but they need extreme precise positioning.
I remember you trying to convince me f-throw is good but you weren't using it that much. For which situations would you use it?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Plup has clearly the better fundamentals and reads and that top player mentality but I actually like your move choice more. For example you do more spaced d-tilts (pretty safe) in situations where Plup normally nairs and nair on shield isn't that safe. Those up-air combos are also pretty good but they need extreme precise positioning.
I remember you trying to convince me f-throw is good but you weren't using it that much. For which situations would you use it?
I used it when I f-threw Zhu off stage (fox) and he DI'd in on the throw so I ran off the stage FF, double jump and naired. It's pretty much guaranteed. I've never been punished for it and I've done it many times. I guess my fingers sometimes forget it's a good throw

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Only for offstage play or are there more followups. If I remember right I acknowledged its edgeguarding use but you were saying it could do even more.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Only for offstage play or are there more followups. If I remember right I acknowledged its edgeguarding use but you were saying it could do even more.
If lighter characters DI in you can followup with up-b, nair, uair, bair, etc. I guess I like Uthrow more than fthrow in doubles. Also if species DI in at like 90% you can do the same above

Last edited:

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Hey, thanks for the video I watched some of it and it's really helpful. Just wondering, why go for DownBs to finish combos when you can run up and nair them and then keep following?

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I never do that, it's terri-bad. I'm guessing you're talking about that ending with the sheik, that was for the style

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Oh I was referring to 1:58 in your video against the Young Link, but I just rewatched it and you explain it right after you do it. Nvm haha

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Look up homies over hoes. Better yet watch the boondocks.

In other news, here's a video of my craptacular MK.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Btw I'm insinuating that you're pleasuring yourself in the video. I thought bed bath and beyond was going to be out of stock on towels by the time your done commenting on ur video.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm bad at mashing. Do you guys have any tricks or techniques that you use, or is it basically a practice thing (or is it just... genetic or something, like some people are inherently bad at it)?

Basically my tornado recovery is bad because of this :(

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I'm bad at mashing. Do you guys have any tricks or techniques that you use, or is it basically a practice thing (or is it just... genetic or something, like some people are inherently bad at it)?

Basically my tornado recovery is bad because of this :(
I am practicing it currently. If you are not good doing it by clicking over and over you can try clicking it exactly to the point where input-no input changes and then tensing your finger, it worked for me when you had to click the mouse really fast so with a bit of practice maybe also for the gc controller.
Depending on the quality of your button and on how you hold your controller you could also do it by using multiple fingers quickly sliding over the button in a certain pattern (mostly all fingers but the pinkie). If your button doesn't go up quick enough it doesn't really work but it is sometimes used in piano play and works pretty well there. Also try holding your hand the way to give your finger biggest possible flexibility, so not having fingers too far away etc.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
While I'm also pretty bad at mashing, I think the best way to mash is to do it with a steady rhythm.

I try imagine saying 'bee bee bee bee bee' in my mind as I mash, so that while I am aware/autopiloting my mashing I'm also paying attention to what's happening on the stage in case I need to DI or tech depending on my opponents actions.

Tornado has this weird lag afterword that doesn't let you grab onto the ledge, you can see it in one of the videos I posted (which is really lame imo).

I learned that tornado has a weak downward KB during the first few weak hits. Might be useful when both players are off the stage and scrambling to get back.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Plup is best, many contenders for the next few ranks...
I think what separates Plup still is that he is just a top player in general. He has more adapting skills, tech consistency and all you need there. You will notice that at top level such things get important. Look at Apex, Melee top players still play well, also people who have not played the game / a new character that much (Armada was fairly new to Pit and Taj had a completely different Mewtwo to use). Basically, experience is a huge factor.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Me :3, Plup is no doubt the best. I've never seen DSF played but I've heard a lot of about him and K9 has improved greatly recently

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
For f-tilt usage, its pretty trivial, but it helps if you link the hits together more closely against fastfallers/lower %s and leave more space between them against floaties/higher %s. You can avoid CC and SDI out of the next hit quite a lot if you do it correctly.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
I will be at SKTAR, if you guys are watching at home and I get on stream. This is for the boys at home

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Keep doing:
- your great down-tilt usage
- the efficient anything->nair combos
- throw move choice as it is
- dair -> up-b
- sh fair anti-approaches
- f-smash baits (when they look unsafe but are safe)

these are your main strengthes as I see it.

You could implement more:
- up-tilt through platforms instead of up-smash if you know they shield, it does better pressure because of less cooldown
- I saw some opportunities for up-bs where every other hit wouldn't hit. Look at the hitbox again and especially test grounded up-b OoS/against airbourne opponents because the hitbox stretches far diagonally up
- rising nair autocancels I love those but it might be personal choice
- Forward-tilts. They are so fast! In the last days I practiced run-cancel forward tilt, pivot f-tilt and run-cancel reverse direction forward tilt and its already paying off. Great anti-approach and can be done so surprising out of movement
- Maybe sometimes dair at the edge if you fight unpredictable vertical recoveries like Marth and a few others and ledgedrop nair don't work
--EDIT: Forgot to mention tomahawks you do them a bit but they are even better, mixup between tomahawk grab and late nair which will have ~50% of successing and only around ~10% of getting hit. Youa re doing the late nair right if they sound like a daird because the second sound doesn't even come out---

Otherwise, just keep it efficient and go for mindgames&fundamentals, it happens that one wants to do the flashy stuff/the stuff one has prepared so badly that one overlooks simpler options.
"If you think one step ahead you will be in control"

Good luck, you got this

Last edited:

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
That was outlined very well. Thank you I'll put this on my phone to review when I get there

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman

SOOO STACKED, I'm so excited so many challenges. I'm ready to play at my best that I've ever played

Doubles

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Did some experimenting, found a few things with at least a little use:
- Anti-approach f-smash:
Run-cancel by pressing down in run animation, c-stick in opposite direction
You slide a little bit back while doing it so it gets even safer
- Run-cancel jab
Pretty trivial but I started using it in knockdown situations and it is paying off. The long hitbox window and the little hitbox behind MK beat many options
- Run-cancel reverse f-tilt
A more technical one. Press down and a little diagonal away from you, then in walk position (on the side you are not facing) and press attack. It works in escape-type situations as well as a counter against crossups.
- Up-air -> up-tilt combo
If you get an up-air on low % a bit over the ground, most try to go for as many up-airs as possible resulting in only one more up-air if DI'd correctly. Instead going for fastfall->l-cancel->up-tilt normally leads to bigger combos

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Question, where is the sweet spot of his up B? I would guess its right at the start?

Top Bottom