• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give each other tips thread-

Dekar173

Justice Man
It goes like this:

Everyone has one (or multiple) thing(s) that they do that just lets them all-around style on the opponent.

What's yours?

Mine is (typically) forcing the match to run at my own pace. I'm more technical than my opponent, therefore the match will be going whatever speed I want it to. This allows for me to pull some things off that wouldn't typically happen if the match were going slowly, but on the flip side it also gives more room for technical errors on my part :(

P1 is always shooting moar peanuts.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
My advice is very similar to yours in that it deals with the ebb and flow of a fight, but it's a bit more specific. Mine is keeping it cool under pressure to regain momentum. I'm definitely not the best player around, but I can give good players a run for their money because I think like this. If you are getting wrecked, break away and reset the situation. Simply throwing yourself at the foe when nothing seems to be working is a really, really bad idea; the best advice I can give is that sometimes slowing down and denying your opponent their momentum is the best way to regain your own. Breaking your foe's attack strings by jumping, DIing away, etc., can sometimes be a more effective counterattack than actually, well, attacking, as it prevents your opponent's ideal plans from working and trips them up (and who doesn't like tripping their opponent up? :p).

Kantrip

Kantplay
I am flabbergasted by p-1's paradox. You are bad unless you shoot more peanuts, but there is no limit to this "more" as you can always shoot "more" peanuts. Therefore, you are always bad.

I'll probably lurk around in here and absorb all the tips because I generally don't have any. Building onto tripping up your opponent, however, it can be beneficial to mindgame with your bananas all over the place. Either you get free hits you can train yourself to capatalize on, or you do some hardcore zoning. I've been trying to find a balance between throwing my bananas like a madman in autopilot and camping with a nanner in hand and a nanner in front.

-goes back to lurking-

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im so serious. break down an opponents psych you got him lockd down whole match, duly note the key appliance to and of operant conditioning, etc.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It's hard to use effectively for recovering because when you're DI-ing towards the stage while making your way back towards it, wavebouncing your popgun will cause you to bounce back away from the stage. The boost you get from actually shooting is cancelled by this bounce, making it pretty useless.

Dekar173

Justice Man
It's hard to use effectively for recovering because when you're DI-ing towards the stage while making your way back towards it, wavebouncing your popgun will cause you to bounce back away from the stage. The boost you get from actually shooting is cancelled by this bounce, making it pretty useless.
You don't always have to wavebounce the popgun lol. You can just do a B-reversal =P

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah but then your momentum doesn't change at all. I'm pretty sure I remember not being able to DI towards the stage while charging my popgun. The boost I get from the popgun is useless because I could have gotten the same distance just from floating towards the stage.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Yeah but then your momentum doesn't change at all. I'm pretty sure I remember not being able to DI towards the stage while charging my popgun. The boost I get from the popgun is useless because I could have gotten the same distance just from floating towards the stage.
I dunno I'd find it easier to edge guard you if you just used the exact same method to recover every time.

T-block

B2B TST
You do alter your path though. Even if the distance covered is the same, you change where your horizontal movement occurs, and adding more variables makes you more difficult to edgeguard, as Dekar said.

Kantrip

Kantplay
That's true. I do already do this when I'm recovering higher up, I just always question if it's actually helping at all. I suppose it does, keeps the opponent guessing, right? :awesome:

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
I Usually Throw My Bananas So They Wont Disappear When Im Resetting My Position & Pop Gun.
Stay Calm, Don't ALWAYS Glide Toss, And I Focus On Naner Locks.
Whenever I Get An Opening, Abuse It.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If you are using your up b off stage, never aim for the ledge. Aim for a spot that is slightly above the ledge. If someone is ledge hogging, you will land on stage. If the player is waiting for you on the stage, Diddy will grab on to the ledge.

T-block

B2B TST
What do you do when you're trapped on the ledge? I discovered recently that I am absolutely terrible at returning from the ledge... MK and Marth in particular. The Marth in my region can basically take off an entire stock if he forces me to grab the ledge.

I've tried all sorts of jump b-reverse popgun cancel side-b etc. etc., but he just waves his sword and hits me back out =(

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah Diddy is pretty bad on the ledge without a banana. Against Marth and MK I find it most effective to just do a normal get up, but it's still dangerous if you overuse it. Another good option is to just jump onto stage as close to the edge as possible and spotdodge/sheild/roll, those are my main two against Marth. The biggest thing is to just know ALL of Diddy's options on the ledge and just try to mix it up between them. You have:

-Normal get up
-get up attack
-Roll
-Jump
-Ledge Jump Fair
-Ledge jump spotdodge/sheild/roll
-wall jump banana pluck
-wall jump bair
-wall jump side-b
-jump, midair jump, side-b
-jump, b reverse popgun
-Monkey flip
-Monkey flip airdodge
-Monkey kick
-Monkey kick airdodge
-ledge hop, b reverse banana pluck
-ledge drop, b reverse z catch
-monkey flip away double jump banana pluck

Some of them are obviously risky, but sometimes you have to take a risk. Oh and Diddy's get up attack past 100 is one of the best in the game, so much range.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
What do you do when you're trapped on the ledge? I discovered recently that I am absolutely terrible at returning from the ledge... MK and Marth in particular. The Marth in my region can basically take off an entire stock if he forces me to grab the ledge.

I've tried all sorts of jump b-reverse popgun cancel side-b etc. etc., but he just waves his sword and hits me back out =(
Against marth, just get back on the stage with side b. The side b has to be done in the same way that Falco does his grounded side b. I prefer to claw when doing it.

Against MK, just wait until he tornadoes and get back on stage when he is retreating. Depending on where he is standing you can also just jump in or side b back onto the stage

Just add these to the other options you have and getting back on stage shouldn't be a problem

T-block

B2B TST
yeah Diddy is pretty bad on the ledge without a banana. Against Marth and MK I find it most effective to just do a normal get up, but it's still dangerous if you overuse it. Another good option is to just jump onto stage as close to the edge as possible and spotdodge/sheild/roll, those are my main two against Marth. The biggest thing is to just know ALL of Diddy's options on the ledge and just try to mix it up between them. You have:

-Normal get up
-get up attack
-Roll
-Jump
-Ledge Jump Fair
-Ledge jump spotdodge/sheild/roll
-wall jump banana pluck
-wall jump bair
-wall jump side-b
-jump, midair jump, side-b
-jump, b reverse popgun
-Monkey flip
-Monkey flip airdodge
-Monkey kick
-Monkey kick airdodge
-ledge hop, b reverse banana pluck
-ledge drop, b reverse z catch
-monkey flip away double jump banana pluck

Some of them are obviously risky, but sometimes you have to take a risk. Oh and Diddy's get up attack past 100 is one of the best in the game, so much range.
I like the last one... if Marth runs out and hits you in the down-b cooldown you're going to die though, right? The issue is when he stands just outside of ledgehop f-air range. Then it feels like he can react to everything except maybe normal get up <100%.

Against marth, just get back on the stage with side b. The side b has to be done in the same way that Falco does his grounded side b. I prefer to claw when doing it.

Against MK, just wait until he tornadoes and get back on stage when he is retreating. Depending on where he is standing you can also just jump in or side b back onto the stage

Just add these to the other options you have and getting back on stage shouldn't be a problem
Is that a ledgehop side-b or just a regular ledge jump?

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah, the last one I use to do a lot back in the day, but I started getting gimped too much while doing it so I stopped, I know quite a few Diddys did that back then also, but not many people do it now since you risk getting gimped and whatnot, but it's been a dead method for so long people might not expect it or know about it, I was actually messing with it in friendlies a while back just to see how it would do and it worked a good bit of the time

Player-1

Smash Legend
Don't do it if he's standing back, it's only good if they're close and shielding or if you think they will shield or if for some reason they did a laggy move and you punish with it since side-b does more damage

T-block

B2B TST
Cut it guys. Or take it to PM/VM is you insist on arguing like little kids.

So what the hell do I do when Marth is standing back? x.x Any sort of banana pull Marth can just run in, grab it and throw it away before I can make anything of it. Is it honestly
  • Normal get-up
  • anything else

?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Sometimes letting your opponent take the banana is worth it if you don't think they can do much with it if it means you getting back onto the ledge. If they're standing back then try to do an empty ledgehop and land back on the edge and study their reaction to it, if they stay back then do a ledgehop onto the stage landing as close to the ledge as possible.

T-block

B2B TST
The thing is, every banana pull that gets me back on stage gets me hit. Any other gets me back on the ledge, and Marth just...throws the banana away, or keeps it =(

That sounds solid though... guess I'm gonna experiment more next time I play.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
p1 ill teach u shiek/zelda matchup when ever i go to georgia next time with florida honest.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
iv only been to atlanta and savanahh :\ back in 08 when i didnt know anyone

Top Bottom