• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I love you, Gimpy. All this is very exciting. I'm in a rush, but I printed your notes to read while I'm out today.

Adi

Smash Lord
Wow, more than I expected, new Adv Techs already *applaud*.

I'm just confused with ink dropping, when you cancel it into an attack, can it be any time during the falling animation, or is it a specific time, also is there any limits on what you can do? Thanks.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
It seems like they turned the tables on the tiers. Bowser is high and Fox is low? Madness! Or Sparta.

I never wavedash anyway so I'm happy. And for all the people that say "WOE IS ME! MAH WAVEDASH B GONE", there is hope.

red stone

Smash Ace
i hope we don't have to call it ink dropping. can we call it something more conventional

oh and does ink dropping give you a few frames of invinicibility. i thought it did after seeing it

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Gimpy is asleep, i think i can answer a few questions since I was pretty much there when everything was discovered.

hugging faster than like fox's melee shine turnaround wavedash?
Yes, i think it's much faster, it's exactly like the edgehog pivot you see in melee.

As for fox - he is the only character I played, and he is greatly tones down, but I think he still has a lot of potential once more aspects of the game are discovered (as with any character).
The main thing that really got to me was the lack of the use of Shining. Jump canceling his shine is still in, but it's really a lot laggyer and hardly has a knockback. As of now it seems pretty useless, but who knows, maybe we'll discover something.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i dont have to much faith in brawl competitively. Does anyone think we could keep the Melee tourney scene alive?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i dont have to much faith in brawl competitively. Does anyone think we could keep the Melee tourney scene alive?
guys, stop worrying so much, brawl still seems to have the tournament aspect to it, it just seems so weird right now considering we don't know the advanced techs yet, I mean, when melee first came out, you didn't waveshine your opponent to death, did you?

It takes time for these things, and I'm sure it will be fine.

BUM163

Smash Lord
as a tournament player i hope this game is still competitive. like m2k, i'm a worry myself that this game won't b the same. i play dk in melee n it took me time 2 get alot of things down pack. people claim wavedashin is a glitch, but how when u slide bak u still vunerable 2 get hit. yea it helps 2 attack n yea it makes u faster, but thatz wat made smash different from otha games. i just hope alot of people don't quit n try 2 deal wit brawl knowin itz not goin 2 b like melee. is d.i still in the game? i think if the game is different even after a year of playin n itz the same as the demo, alot of people r quittin just cuz nintendo with itz new motto wii we like 2 play. lettin even 2 years old beat the most elite player lmao n that was a joke people, don't kill me

Frey

Smash Journeyman
"as a tournament player i hope this game is still competitive. like m2k, i'm a worry myself that this game won't b the same. i play dk in melee n it took me time 2 get alot of things down pack. people claim wavedashin is a glitch, but how when u slide bak u still vunerable 2 get hit. yea it helps 2 attack n yea it makes u faster, but thatz wat made smash different from otha games. i just hope alot of people don't quit n try 2 deal wit brawl knowin itz not goin 2 b like melee. is d.i still in the game? i think if the game is different even after a year of playin n itz the same as the demo, alot of people r quittin just cuz nintendo with itz new motto wii we like 2 play. lettin even 2 years old beat the most elite player lmao n that was a joke people, don't kill me"

From what I heard, Brawl brings back a mix of mechanics from the first and second games, if you think smash 1 was easy then your insane.

And to be on Topic

Gimpyfish, YOU ROCK.

Good sh*t Gimpy, but I would like to contribute to more of the character specifics. In this case, MetaKnight.

MetaKnight

Speed estimate: Very quick and lethal, noob and combo friendly
Power estimate: Attacks are usually multi-hitting, but lack the initiative to deliver a solid kill at a low percentage
Animation speed estimate: All aerials have very little lag, allowing little room for error.
Tier Prediction: Possibly high-Top

MetaKnight's Gameplay Objective

-Inflict heavy damage quickly
-Get the opponent of the edge
-Keep the opponent infront or above you to have the most priority

Character Design Positives

Ok, i'm gonna get to the meat. MetaKnight, is fast, too fast. All of his attacks have no initial start up lag and can inflict massive damage upon repeated attacks of the opponent. His mobility is probably shown at its strongest when MetaKnight is in mid air, as his physical ground mobility is only as fast as the average character.

Character Design Negatives

MetaKnights most obvious flaw was predicted before anyone even played Brawl; He doesn't have enough kill potential. This puts MetaKnight to a fair level of balance considering that he can inflict massive damage. Perhaps the best way to kill the opponent is to do very far out edge gaurds or just F-Smash at a high percentage. These limitations reduce MetaKnight's options to the old fassion Get-High-Damage-Then-Kill option. This weakness can become a problem, but MetaKnigh's positive traits have the potential to make up for it. Another thing: He can live for a good amount of time as well. I was amazed that he wouldn't die as quickly as we assumed.

Key Attacks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damage Inflicting Moves
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair
Move Description: 3 quick aerial slashes that inflict monor damage
Percentage: 3-4% per slash
DI: Forward/Up
Knockback: Low
Start up Lag: Minimal
Ending Lag: Minimal

This move is just awsome, high speed, high priority, and you can pull a good 12% quickly. This is also a great edge gaurding tool considering how man jumps MetaKnight has. When you SH fair with this you can actually start a combo due to the minimal damage and knockback (Low Percentages).One thing that I can say about the Slash is the directions of th slash feel as if you may miss the attack because of the crazy speed, but it's your mind playing games with you. I can't say many negatives about this move, it's just great!!

Bair
Move Description: 3 QuickSlashes that come out slightly faster than the Fair. Inflict monor damage.
Percentage: 2-3% per slash

(See Fair). Only thing that changes this move is its speed.

Neutral A (Hold)
Move Description: Very rapid sword slashes that cover both the front and back)
Percentage: 1-2% per slash
DI: None
KnockBack: None
Start up Lag: None
Ending Lag: Medium

Beyond his aerials, this is possibly the best damage inflincting weapon for MetaKnight when he is grounded. it's basicly a mad flurry of fast slashes that cover you from the front and back that can trap your opponent (It's fairly easy to DI out of though). It's relatively easy to initiate: just hold the attack button and let MetaKnight do what he does best. I'm very happy that the damage inflicted only serves as a temporary method of attacking because of the minimal damage it can inflict.

F-tilt
Move Description: Three Quick slashes that launch the opponent up
Percentage: 3-5% per slash
DI:3rd hit goes up
Knock Back: Medium-Low

This move is pretty fun to use, and gives you options at mid percentage. This move keeps the opponent in the air, thus giving you more priority over the opponent. MetaKnigh can keep his opponent in the air for a while, so using this or Fair at mid percentages can keep your opponent on lock down.

Neutral Air
Move Description: MetaKnight spins forward with his sword in the air
Percentage: 12-14%
knockback: Low-Medium
Ending Lag: medium

This move isn't anything special, but it has a decent amount of knockback. That's all I can really say about it. Lol

Forward B
Move Description: MetaKnight launches forward in a spiral inflicing heavy damage
Percentage: Up tp 30-26% (WTF?)
DI: None?
Knockback: Little-None
Start up Lag: Medium
Ending lag: High (End in Free fall/ 3rd jump)

Of all the moves that MetaKnight has, this is the most impressive one to me. You can control the curviture of the attack by tilting the control stick up and down. When this move connects, it WILL hurt your opponent, as you have complete control of the drill attack on the opponent. The only thing that is bad about this move is the fact that it leaves you in free fall, but the ending animation can allow you to DI back on the stage with ease even if you go away fromii the stage. Not to mention it leaves you in a safe position if you knock them high up insted of in a horizontal fasion. This move also just looks d*mn cool, try it in a free for all and see how much damage you will inflict!!

Neutral B
Move Description: MetaKnight spins quickly in a tornado like manuever
Percentage: Up to 25-30%
DI; None?
Knockback: little-None
Ending Lag: High (End in free fall/ 3rd jump)

This is a highly understimated move. It can inflict damage, has invincibility frames when starting up, cancel some projectiles and fully controlable. You can hover by tapping B as well. This move can inflict a good amount of damage, and it works as a safety move just in case you don't feel safe at a gigh percentage. I advise that people use this move more often, it's pretty good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Killing Moves
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-smash
Move Description: MetaKnight charges up and launches a fast Horizontal Slash
Percentage: 17-25%
DI: Forward/Slight up
Knockback: Medium
Ending Lag Medium

This is pretty much MetaKnight's best killing move unfortunatly. it's fairly fast, but it can only kill a character at round 100% at the lowest. This move also has medium start up lag. Well, that's balance for ya. =/

U-smash
Move Description: MetaKnight does three consecutive quick upward slashes
Percentage: 6% per slash
DI: Up
Knockback: Low-Medium

This move is also fairly weak, and can only kill at around 140%!!! the only postive trait is the moves ability to inflict quick damage, that's it.

Up B
Move Desciption: MetaKnight launches up quickly with a slash, then goes into a glide animation
Percentage: 12-20% (At start up)
DI: Up/slighty right
Knockback: Medium
Start Up lag: Minimal
Ending Lag: Minimal/ varies

This move remings me of Marth's Up B, when you start the move up it inflicts nice damage and has some good knock back. This move is kinda hard to control and is slightly awkward. The move goes into a glide, but you can also attack during the glide, which can cancel the free fall? I really don't know that much about this move, more details will come soon.

Poke at moves

U-tilt
Move Description: MetaKnight thrust his sword strait up
percentage: 5-6%

This move is only good at knocking the opponent up and inlicting minor damage. Nothing special at all

D-tilt
Move Description: *Poke*
Percentage: 2-3%
DI: Forward/Down
Start up lag: Very Minimal
Ending Lag: Very Minimal

This is just like Marth's D-tilt, but it's faster and more annoying. you can use it consecutively, and it's funny. *Poke*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aerial Priority Moves
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uair
Move Description: MetaKnight swings up at the enemy and can do an additional slash(?)
Percentage: 5-7% per slash

This move doesn't have many uses beyond having aerial control over your opponent. Even though it can't do much, it's an important part of your air game.

Dair
Move Description: MetaKnight does a half crescent aerial down swipe
Percentage: 5-8%

This move is the least useful aerial MetaKnight has. It doesn't help keep your opponent in check when you are above him. It would only be useful with strict timing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Attacks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dash A
Move description: MetaKnight dashes with a fast kick at the opponent
Percentage: 7-8%
DI; Forward
Start up lag : Minimal

This attack really drags you after it ends. It's an ok attack, but don't use it that often, or at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retreat Moves
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down B
Move Description: MetaKnight retreats within his cape and warps
Percentage: None
Knockback:None

This attack doesn't reflect, it just allows you to warp a short distance in one direction. It's useful considering that MetaKnight's aerial game is weak when he is below the opponent. Use sparingly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grabs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Coming Soon, all I know is his Up and Down grabs are like Kirby's*

MetaKnight's Control

MetaKnight may be button mash-o-refic, but having strict control over all of his movements is actually very tedious (Especialy his up B >_>). His Air game is complicated. A mjority of MetaKnight players typically stick to his air game, as it isn't as complicated as his average ground game. most of his moves feel very fluid and not tacked on, and he can maintain consistency attacks in the middle of any fight. If you like to stay steadfast in battle, go with MetaKnight.

My personal take of MetaKnight

MetaKnight is made of awsome. A majority of the wins I recieved came from the use of MetaKnight's fluid combo attacks and edge game. Even though he takes some getting use to, it's worth it in the long run. I would reccomend this character to anyone who plays this game, period. All and all, have fun!!

-EPF

BUM163

Smash Lord
sumone try dk n tell me how he is. does he get super armor? his foward b seemz faster, but if sumone does get caught,i wanna know when they r bury in the ground n u do an attack, do they stay in the ground like melee or do u knock them out the dirt. also do his shield into up b my favorite counter

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
sumone try dk n tell me how he is. does he get super armor? his foward b seemz faster, but if sumone does get caught,i wanna know when they r bury in the ground n u do an attack, do they stay in the ground like melee or do u knock them out the dirt. also do his shield into up b my favorite counter
hehe, everyone trying to stick to their old mains, I see :)

From what I've read (in the last 10 hours), DK plays very similarly to the new Bowser, and also similarly to how he played in the original Melee. He can up B out of shield, just like Gimpyfish has commented on him doing with Bowser. I'm not sure about the answers to the other parts of your question.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This thread wins. Thanks for the info, gimpyfish. :)

GOTM

Smash Champion
this stiff is really interesting.

ink dropping seems like an advanced tech now, but i cant see how this will stay this way. i think it will be more of something basic once everyone gets the hang of it. probably wont take long to learn as a real advanced tech should (shffling, etc.)

this is really good info though, keep it coming

bbb

Smash Champion
neal, gimpy and hugo?

****!

I kinda wish I had gone today, but I would have ultimately just ended up crying myself to sleep due to lack of falcon lovin'.

also I need video or something of this ink drop and hugging business, cuz I'm not quite getting it from text alone.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The only change that really bothers me is that if you try to CC dsmash you'll dtilt. Maybe you can turn analog + cstick tilts off in the control customization.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Gimpy et al, this sounds amazing.

One question for anyone attending: Can Ike's SideB be used for recovery, i.e. can you upB after sideB? This may help his horizontal recovery, a la luigi.

Secondly, is there any more clarification on what the FLUDD does? Is is purely a high-knockback finishing move? Hover 100% impossible? :(

Also, I highly doubt I'll get an answer to this, but does anyone have any experience of PAL Fox? I'm an aussie and would be interested to hear the change from PAL -> Brawl as Fox was slightly nerfed in our game.

BUM163

Smash Lord
word now we got 2 see wat else they can come up wit. b 4 this whole thing is ova i hope they can find sumthin good n crazy. norfair looks great n so does every otha stage. now the thing is this, will there b items on or off n if off will final smash still be on, considering samus looks toned down n people might wanna use zero suit. i say this cuz maybe she won't b selectable n only use when final smash is done. i'm thinkin about goin saturday n tryin dk out considerin i know all his strengths n weakness in melee n i wanna see if hez the same. ike looks interesting, but his up b looks terrible....... worst than kirby lol

Sliq

Smash Master
Darc, are you Darc the Jiggs player? As in SleepyK took your account and won't give it back?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Wow, this is a lot to take in...

I didn't quite understand some of the whoe "dairs" and "fairs" and such, but everything else I liked hearing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom