• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gheb's crazy auction mafia | Game over, Mafia wins

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Alex, for real, I was trying to give you a chance to convince me you were town and you just kept insulting me. But we talked about it.

Whatever. I'm just glad someone finally played this slot.

Maven89

Smash Master
I also honestly didn't realize I was hammering Laundry and had a mini panic attack when I realized I did something so scummy

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Also, **** like this is why I generally make the mafia kill compulsive and randomized on a failure to send in a target.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
because a factional Night kill is an important thing to have, considering that schenanigans like what happened here wouldnt happen. theres wifom, and then theres concrete evidence. blocking a NK should be concrete evidence.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
but making the punishment a randomized kill is where that comes in. the mafia should be REQUIRED to kill, because that makes for stability in the structure of the game. one can argue that it becomes a matter of taking that into consideration in the moment, but getting a false bingo on an rb because the mafia didnt kill is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Nah, I really don't see that. I absolutely understand salt at the fact that it was unintentional on our part, I agree that that sucked, but the mafia chosing to not NK to attempt to frame someone is an incredibly risky play but I don't think it should be outlawed because players want their items or roles to be more important then they are. You don't allow cops without counters so you can't bingo a mafia player without argument, the same should be for the RB.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah game's officially over as town can no longer win, not even in theory.

Also, **** like this is why I generally make the mafia kill compulsive and randomized on a failure to send in a target.
Ironically, this is the first time game in ages I did it the other way round. Up until now I tought randomizing the kill would be better but I kinda dislike the idea because scum should be punished for failing to send in their NK. If they send in nothing, they should get nothing.

:059:

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
but making the punishment a randomized kill is where that comes in. the mafia should be REQUIRED to kill, because that makes for stability in the structure of the game. one can argue that it becomes a matter of taking that into consideration in the moment, but getting a false bingo on an rb because the mafia didnt kill is ridiculous.
I kind of like the idea of the mafia being able to intentionally send in no night kill.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Nah, I really don't see that. I absolutely understand salt at the fact that it was unintentional on our part, I agree that that sucked, but the mafia chosing to not NK to attempt to frame someone is an incredibly risky play but I don't think it should be outlawed because players want their items or roles to be more important then they are. You don't allow cops without counters so you can't bingo a mafia player without argument, the same should be for the RB.
The counter to RB is to not send it in with a single member of your mafia team that is getting Roleblocked. You can send it in with any of the others.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Then what is with the cop parallel? The counter play to getting copped is "don't get copped" or role block or otherwise **** with the cop. Godfather is a ******* role that shouldn't exist, but even with that parallel, there is a role modifier like Godfather called "Ninja" that cannot be role blocked. What counters are you discussing for cop that would merit such equivalent treatment.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lucky breaks aside, I'm proud of my traitor play this game.

I think I did a marvelous job of covering up for what by all accounts was an extremely bad Nabe opening and giving him a 'friendly' shoulder to lean on to "explain himself" until he was no longer a surefire lynch. Maven protected himself just fine so I simply refused to speak of him.

I'm also glad I could mind-read Nabe and Maven enough to assume they'd make the competent choice to target Ryker as being likely unable to protect himself and so to ensure it even when I missed my opportunity to claim during Twilight and ensure them their shot would be free and that I was on their side.

The other line of play would have been to pre-emptively assume I would be able to be present for Twilight and block Kursed from being protected, leaving Nabe as the only one with money to purchase items left and a 100% gauranteed lock no matter what items appeared. But I decided not to in favor of getting the block down on Ryker before he would make up his mind on who to protect.

@ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ I'm curious if any of my night actions had an effect on things or not. What were the actions by people throughout the game?

@ Maven89 Maven89 @#HBC | Nabe Also out of curiosity, did my dropping of an oddly worded "only traitor knows who he is right now I think" get through to either of you around D2 and/or did you guess that I was traitor, or was not targetting me simply good luck/a result of the fact I never tried to elevate myself over "mildly scummy"?

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Then what is with the cop parallel? The counter play to getting copped is "don't get copped" or role block or otherwise **** with the cop. Godfather is a ******* role that shouldn't exist, but even with that parallel, there is a role modifier like Godfather called "Ninja" that cannot be role blocked. What counters are you discussing for cop that would merit such equivalent treatment.
We never seem to allow any role that can gurantee a bingo without any way out. I mean it's why cops are rarely even in this game, and when they are there is something else to counter it, so players can't just "follow the cop".

Maven89

Smash Master
@ Maven89 Maven89 @#HBC | Nabe Also out of curiosity, did my dropping of an oddly worded "only traitor knows who he is right now I think" get through to either of you around D2 and/or did you guess that I was traitor, or was not targetting me simply good luck/a result of the fact I never tried to elevate myself over "mildly scummy"?
I 100% thought Kursed was the traitor, I believe Nabe thought this as well but as time went on he became less sure and was wondering about Orbo. I don't think any of us ever thought it was you.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Alex, for real, I was trying to give you a chance to convince me you were town and you just kept insulting me. But we talked about it.

Whatever. I'm just glad someone finally played this slot.
When you walk into a thread and spend the entire time ******** about replacing or insulting me back, I'm not buying it. Just because I look like **** isn't a license for you to act the way you did. That's why I acted like that.

:186:

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I kind of like the idea of the mafia being able to intentionally send in no night kill.
I don't, for obvious reasons.

@ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ I'm mostly salty that you neglected to include that into the rules. It turned a reasonable situation that could've been fixed, read, or explored into a no-win scenario for town. That blunder had a massive effect on the game, my personal stances about mafia not killing aside.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Take it from another point of view: it completely ruins Mylo scenarios by forcing town into lynching due to mafia getting to choose not to nk.

Maven89

Smash Master
Honestly I never realized this was a thing, I always assumed mafia could no kill if they wanted. I think I might have even made posts about it in early games.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
There's a lot of ways town can get ****ed over by an intentional no kill. Like gorf said, that kill is necessary for the stability of the game. Not having it, for whatever reason, messes with that and it should.be explicitly and boldly stated in the rules if mafia can avoid killing

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
We never seem to allow any role that can gurantee a bingo without any way out. I mean it's why cops are rarely even in this game, and when they are there is something else to counter it, so players can't just "follow the cop".
Rarely do we have this bare bones a set-up either. You cannot be certain of a roleblock bingo in a closed set-up because of the presence of possible doc, jailer, BP, redirector, etc.

Also, to say that they are never in a game without something to counter them is a blatant lie. I make it a point many times to include 1-shot cop for a clear for town in set-ups without a Godfather or roleblocker.

Having an entire scum team to be able to send in the kill should protect them from the roleblocker and if you think it is still OP to get a bingo in your set-up make them a jailer so you could have protected them or make the factional kill unblockable.

Spending entire games looking at any lack of flip and having to play WIFOM about whether it was an intentional No Kill is not fun. The basic tennats of the game are town lynches someone, Mafia kills someone, repeat until victors are determined. You can't choose not to kill offline for a reason.

Top Bottom