• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gfest 6: Kyonfest!!!! Orlando, FL 07/23/11

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
ur going to it to?
Probably not. Most likely going to Gallaxfest, but that could change. If I wanted to play lots of locals, I'll do that at a smashfest or in friendlies at the tourney. I don't see the logic in pools at local tournies, but that's just me.

Either way, my crew will **** in MvC3.

gallax

Smash Hero
You dont see the logic in pools? Lemme splain:

You need tourney experience (you being a general you). If you go to a tournament with 15-20 people the most your going to play are 6-7 sets. And thats if you keep winning and you are playing in bracket. So now lets say 80% of those at the tourney wont play more than 4 sets because thats the average player. How much experience is that worth to you? The only way to answer that question is by having something to compare that to, which is by having pools. Even the worst players will play a minimum of 3 sets, compared to those 2 sets that they would have lost in bracket. It is extremely valuable to many players to get as much tourney experience as possible rather than enter brackets and chance the cons of brackets.

Here are some things to note about pools when compared to brackets:

1) All wins or losses count
2) The chance at getting bracket ***** or having one bad set will not be as detrimental to your placing
3) The better players will be better represented that in brackets

And like i always say, if you dont like my rules dont come. If you want to bash my rules, do so but with reason please. Dont call my tourney a joke or say theres no logic in it. To me all you are stating is opinion which holds no base other than its your opinion. It could be my opinion to say the moon is square but it does not make it true. Please be more considerate.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
The world was once a square, and was proven wrong. Faulty logic is bad.

In that, I'll admit that my opinion doesn't share much logic, but I will not fall back on my statement.

As a player, I had to claw hard to get to where I am today. Barely any practice with this game (only played with Kyon, Legion, Mars, and Dare since this game came out to practice) due to my locale. I go to tournies and go 0-2 after wasting $10-$15 multiple times to enter and get some good competition. I did it the hard way. I wasn't given extra sets or all that. I've had extremely hard brackets in the past. I did it the way every one else did.

Now that's an unfair comparison because I'm me and no else is me, but when I see CFL talk about having a separate PR and how things are biased and yatta yatta yatta, in my opinion rules like this is not gonna cut it. If it works, then that's amazing but if we do this we can't complain about SFL being more dominant then us.

These are just my thoughts. I'm not trying to demean anything in any sort of way. I'm just being real and not trying to front.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Gallax, that was one of the best write ups for pools i have seen.

I like pools because i get maximum experience, and if i lose i still have a chance to get out of pools.
It keeps me more interested.

gallax

Smash Hero
As a player, I had to claw hard to get to where I am today. Barely any practice with this game (only played with Kyon, Legion, Mars, and Dare since this game came out to practice) due to my locale. I go to tournies and go 0-2 after wasting $10-$15 multiple times to enter and get some good competition. I did it the hard way. I wasn't given extra sets or all that. I've had extremely hard brackets in the past. I did it the way every one else did.
I also did it the exact same way dtorr so dont go presuming that I had it the easy way. The only thing that made it "easy" for me was that i had radix to train with whenever i wanted.

Now that's an unfair comparison because I'm me and no else is me, but when I see CFL talk about having a separate PR and how things are biased and yatta yatta yatta, in my opinion rules like this is not gonna cut it. If it works, then that's amazing but if we do this we can't complain about SFL being more dominant then us.
Go to the UCF brawl in orlando thread and read my last post about my opinion of the PR's. I stated to keep it as one state PR. With that being said, the PR entity has absolutely no support for your argument. If anything, having pools to give every player much more tourney experience than brackets would offer helps to show that we are finding a way to get that experience that SFL has. More matches in tourney = more experience. More experience means that we are actually doing a better job than SFL in running tournaments. The only reason SFL is more dominant that us is because they train out of tournament more often than we do with more PR's than us. Currently we only have hrnut to train with. And he rarely lets anyone know when he is here. Me and gdx are the only other 2 trainers. SFL has esam, riddle, brik, affo, xaltis and shaky to train people. Thats 3x's as many people to train their randoms. And if you want to be truthful, its actually 6x's as many since me and gdx are also randoms.

Your logic that says running pools is a detriment to our lower level players because they get more chances for in tourney experience and do not get the feeling of playing in bracket holds no weight when compared to the actual experience that CFL players get when they come to this tourney and enter pools. We have other tourneys in CFL that offer brackets like NLL and PnT. I also usually hold brackets. There will be more practice for tournaments with brackets. I want to take this time to allow more players to come and get that experience that they are looking for from a tournament, helping them to achieve a new level of skill when they leave.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
david you or gary better win this while me and hrblack and ladeberd are gone

B_AWAL

Smash Master
You dont see the logic in pools? Lemme splain:

You need tourney experience (you being a general you). If you go to a tournament with 15-20 people the most your going to play are 6-7 sets. And thats if you keep winning and you are playing in bracket. So now lets say 80% of those at the tourney wont play more than 4 sets because thats the average player. How much experience is that worth to you? The only way to answer that question is by having something to compare that to, which is by having pools. Even the worst players will play a minimum of 3 sets, compared to those 2 sets that they would have lost in bracket. It is extremely valuable to many players to get as much tourney experience as possible rather than enter brackets and chance the cons of brackets.

Here are some things to note about pools when compared to brackets:

1) All wins or losses count
2) The chance at getting bracket ***** or having one bad set will not be as detrimental to your placing
3) The better players will be better represented that in brackets

And like i always say, if you dont like my rules dont come. If you want to bash my rules, do so but with reason please. Dont call my tourney a joke or say theres no logic in it. To me all you are stating is opinion which holds no base other than its your opinion. It could be my opinion to say the moon is square but it does not make it true. Please be more considerate.
I concur with this guy... Damnit gallax I anted 2 b the 1st 2 do this alot & ur doin it a week b4 me lolz

Edit: sorry 4 da double post and Mink w/ Jiggz FTW!!!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Again...quite salty if David or Gary doesn't win...they better win teams too

Top Bottom