• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Caught in Shield?

R:U:N

Smash Cadet
Hey there,

So I'm pretty bad at this game, and I'm trying to pinpoint why and work out bad habits/misconceptions/etc.

Big flaw I've noticed recently in my play is that I constantly get stuck in my shield and don't know what to do- If I roll, I get chased, if I spot-dodge, my opponent will wait and punish, if I keep shielding I get grabbed (or pressured like crazy against spacies), if I jump I get hit (or grabbed before I go too high), If I wd, I often get hit anyways.

Of course this isn't what always happens, and I know that there is of course no single solution that's magically going to make me better, but I figured it might help to get some more experienced perspective on the shield/oos game.

So, how does one go about getting better with dealing with shield pressure/oos options? Is all of this a sign that I am shielding too much? When is it a good/bad time to shield? Is oos game really just kind of a guessing game in which you hope your opponent won't read you correctly, or is there more depth one should know about?
If this is a topic that has already been discussed in depth in the past, a link would be greatly appreciated (:
Thanks so much for any help!

R:U:N

Smash Cadet
Well, I've been kinda hopping around, but I've been mostly playing Ganon
and Ness
I've looked at most common/effective oos options for them, but I think regardless of what character I might be playing, I still have the problem of being pressured into my shield and being kind of kept there, so I feel its a personal problem more so than a character problem.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Playing slow characters makes it easier for your opponent to pin you into your shield. It might be a player issue too, but your character choice definitely plays a role in it. Try to stay mobile and always adjust your spacing so you don't have to resort to shielding as often. This can be done with dash dancing and wave landing on platforms (ganondorf has a good waveland game).

Once your shielding, it really is like a guessing game between you and your opponent. Almost like a game of chicken, but you're at the disadvantage. You can't stay in your shield forever or else it will break, and leaving your shield has a moment of vulnerability that your opponent is trying to capitalize on. Remember that when you're in your shield, your next option does not have to directly counter to what your opponent is doing. You can attempt to reset the situation by wavedashing away oos or rolling (wavedashing oos is really good with most characters).

I hope this helps.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Best way to deal with most problems is to simply watch what top players do, and just as importantly, watch how they do it. A noob may get his roll read every time because he doesn't realize he's doing it in the same way over and over, but top players roll all the time and manage to put it to good use. If you are playing Ganon, watch what Kage does OoS and figure out why it worked. Also keep in mind what situations he is shielding in. If he is WDing back to avoid a situation you would have normally shielded in, that tells you that shielding was what doomed you in the first place.

Zodiac

Smash Master
To avoid getting stuck in shield you have to identify what causes to be there in the first place, its the worse possible place to and no matter options you have out of shield they are all bad ones, even the good ones are bad ones. Find out where it starts and get out of the line of fire before it leads to you hiding in your shield.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
General options out of shield:

-Roll
-Wavedash Oos
-Jump+ fast air attack Oos
- Wavedash oos
-Up B out of shield

`Best way to deal with most problems is to simply watch what top players do`

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
To avoid getting stuck in shield you have to identify what causes to be there in the first place, its the worse possible place to and no matter options you have out of shield they are all bad ones, even the good ones are bad ones.
It's not like Armada achieved worldwide success in part due to his incredible out of shield game or anything
while shielding you can avoid taking damage and knockback while maintaining stage position and putting pressure on the opponent to choose correct options
don't like to see it simplified as "sitting in shield is terrible and should be avoided at all costs"

Zodiac

Smash Master
It's not like Armada achieved worldwide success in part due to his incredible out of shield game or anything
while shielding you can avoid taking damage and knockback while maintaining stage position and putting pressure on the opponent to choose correct options
don't like to see it simplified as "sitting in shield is terrible and should be avoided at all costs"

You took that completely wrong, When your shield is under pressure you are always at a disadvantage, period, there is no way around that, yes there will be times where you're best, and only option will be to shield and then escape based on reads, or try to nair or up-b your way out with certain characters, which still for the most part will leave you vulnerable. It was not simplified as "sitting in shield is terrible and should be avoided at all costs" , you simplified it that way.

Many times escaping from shield can be easy depending on the level of player you are facing, or based on their character or playstyle, In this particular instance though he seems to be under pressure as a slower character against faster characters, which is an area I specialize in being a Link main for much of my smash career. I suppose I should have clarified that.

Now onto further advice, I say if you can't avoid getting stuck in shield then memorize your opponent pressuring habits and see when it is safe to roll, or you COULD wave dash back just before getting stuck in shield and block their initial attack but keep out of hitbox range of their further pressuring attacks and shield grab from there.

Varist

Smash Lord
Switch to a spacy and commit yourself to never shielding, only trading. Shine every time they get close. Fun way to play.

nooga

Smash Apprentice
Recently I've learned just to relax when playing. This sounds like pretty bad advice, but the more you get hit the less you get scared of getting hit, and you don't tense up and immediately shield when someone is approaching or whatever. Just relax and attack, and once you get beat up and once you get tricked you'll learn when to shield and when not to.

Disclaimer: I'm not amazing, but that's the advice I can give.

Top Bottom