• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Better Results at Large Tournaments

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Good post Dark.

I'll add some insight as well: more Peaches need to work on developing the quickest and most versatile out of shield game possible. That has been my focus these past 6 months and I'm seeing a lot of improvement over former mental walls because of it. I've advanced from HM to 6th in Ohio so far so I must be doing something right... xD

Know the quickest options you have in any given situation, and learn to acknowledge if there are situations where your options are not quite worth it and you should retreat and live to fight another day. I see a lot of unnecessary and early KOs landed on Peaches because they just don't know when to reset their positioning and instead try to fight through a sticky situation.

I've been utilizing a lot of groundfloat movement (into any option since it cancels back into standing, simple concept but full of win and unique to our character) and float canceled aerials OoS because they're quick. Floatcanceled bairs OoS are revolutionary for us against the MK matchup and have made my defensive play against him that much more effective.

This game focuses heavily on quick reaction time to beat your opponent and some people simply don't have quick reaction time, this is a given. The most efficient way to balance this deficit out is to learn how to use your character's quickest options to beat your opponent's to the punch, and know which of your moves can out-range or out-prioritize another. Things like that help more than people realize.
I've been thinking about it but I haven't tried applying it to my game yet. I've been working more on evasive mix ups and predicting SDIing.

Usually predicting the SDI starts from where you position yourself obviously. It's just about keeping the damage pressure going.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
KingBeef I've been practicing that **** so hard lol.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
KingBeef I've been practicing that **** so hard lol.
Good to hear, keep it up. You're going to need every type of tool possible going into that insane amount of MMs you have scheduled at MLG. xD

P.S. I guarantee that unless you pay any visits to the hotels people are staying at or whatever, you won't even get near 50% of your MMs done. I was hard enough to even get some friendlies in at MLG Columbus, and I only managed to get one MM set done against Krystedez. Just be assertive to get access to some TVs, otherwise some of the "higher ups" will try to camp the **** out of them all day.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Good to hear, keep it up. You're going to need every type of tool possible going into that insane amount of MMs you have scheduled at MLG. xD

P.S. I guarantee that unless you pay any visits to the hotels people are staying at or whatever, you won't even get near 50% of your MMs done. I was hard enough to even get some friendlies in at MLG Columbus, and I only managed to get one MM set done against Krystedez. Just be assertive to get access to some TVs, otherwise some of the "higher ups" will try to camp the **** out of them all day.
Now that's a straight Peach talkin'.

:cool:

None of that timid bull. :p

I noticed that at my first tourney though. What doesn't help is my height. Soo it's hard to be assertive. Lmfao.

gantrain05

Smash Master
honestly i don't find Usmash all that difficult to land, its just throwing it into different mixups to keep the opponent off gaurd or just following their movements after u have them in the air, bait an attack or airdodge, then get ur *** underneath them and get that kill. altho i don't really have problems killing even tho i do use my Fair quite a bit, but just putting pressure on MK from the ledge is a good way to get the kill, if he ledgehops just OoS Nair him, if he does a get up attack, same thing, shuttle loops? guess what, OoS Nair or Uair works. this is the easiest way i've found of killing MK is to just get him to the ledge, his options, while it seems like he has alot, are actually very limited and easily punished if you know how.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i agree jlo, mk is far more limited than say, peach, when it comes to getting off the ledge back onstage. good point! dont be afraid of harrassing him on the ledge.

i've been practicing the same things, kb. i really like groundfloating instant nairs when someone is dashing at you/airdodging to the ground. i'm still working on doing it OOS, but i'm seeing the times when i should have used it now, so it's only a little while longer before i actually implement it.

i'm also trying to get better at edgeguarding, inspired by that AR-r combo video, by using turnips and recatching them. it's fairly difficult to do it to good opponents...however, catching turnips and reuising them again is something else that i think can really help peach do well - she will get punished less for turnip pulls and force dodges/airdodges more often than usual.

Gameswithgoodies

Smash Ace
something i noticed some peaches do sometimes, and me most likely as well, is that when someone is coming down and air dodging a turnip we tend to uair at that exact same time causing both moves to miss. Maybe we can better plan it so that we aren't floating at the same hight where the turnip will get in the persons path, we should be lower so we can punish the air dodge. If the turnip does hit we shouldn't to try hit them with a follow up on the turnip but rather expect the turnip to miss so we can hit them afterwards.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
What I try to do is float slightly above ground and uair and then autocancel it. then go into either dsmash or utilt.

Or I use utilt early when I know it won't hit the opponent. It can sometimes bait an airdodge and by then your cooldown is over and you can punish

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Out of P-shield or ANY shield?
Any shield, but you have to react fasssst. Let go of shield the moment the shine hits it and input Peach bomber at the earliest possible time. It's guaranteed though.

Super guaranteed out of powershield.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Any shield, but you have to react fasssst. Let go of shield the moment the shine hits it and input Peach bomber at the earliest possible time. It's guaranteed though.

Super guaranteed out of powershield.
Fargin awesome.

Thanks Praxis.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
i agree jlo, mk is far more limited than say, peach, when it comes to getting off the ledge back onstage. good point! dont be afraid of harrassing him on the ledge.
I think you took that a bit too far. peach is WAAAYYY more limited than metaknight getting fromt he ledge back on.

Peach has:
- Roll
- Get up attack
- Full hop aerial
- Regular get up
- Full hop air dodge

- LIFT
- Ledge hop peach bomber or toad
- Ledge hop parasol

The first four (in blue) anyone can do, and the next 3 are doable but can be punished HARD. Her second jump is just too bad

Metaknight has ALL of the first four but much safer other options:
- TORNADO
- Shuttle Loop (invincibility)
- Dimensional Cape or an unnoticeable Infinite DCape
- Drill Rush (invincible for the most part)
- Ledge Hop Nair or Fair (safe)
- Jump off and use one of 5 jumps to approach above
- Tornado

Gameswithgoodies

Smash Ace
you're forgetting about the things peach can do with float and using attacks out of her jump getting up which is actually a faily decent way of getting up. also ledge hop fair is a good mixup.

also tornado, dcape and drill rush can be punished from the ledge. and gtrain posted up ealyer how to punish the nair and fair along with the shuttle loop i think.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yeah that list given from both characters can easily amount to above 30 different things each and maybe more if you exercise every mix-up or whatever.

oh and you didn't put glide atk lance. that move is so broken. huuge hitbox, really good knockback, and it's priority is ********. it clashes with lucario's transcendent fsmash aura. >_____<

LanceStern

Smash Lord
To say peach has more options than metaknight in getting from the ledge back on stage is faulty. She doesn't have the mobility/range/priority to do it.

Not saying it's impossible for her to get back on stage, I'm saying compared to MK, metaknight is better.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Looks like some of you may still need to work on your ledge games a little, both offensively and defensively.

A ledgehopped airdodge (timed well to avoid any of the "dead frames") to shield to anything situationally appropriate from that point on is another viable recovery option. I do it pretty frequently, and have seen success with it against most characters and high caliber players of those characters (excluding characters with lingering hitboxes such as GnW or Lucario).

Nicole

Smash Champion
well, lance, i guess what i meant to say that i should have said better is that mk's options for getting off the ledge are more punishable. peach has alot of safe ways to come back.

what kb says is true about the airdodge, i do it sometimes. you just dont want to do it everytime, obviously. i like jabbing after i land, but i suppose its a personal preference.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol no doubt. The only thing comparable to the lack of change in Peach's metagame is the state of our economy.

ZING!

Top Bottom