• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Purple

Hi guys!
picto i agree with. japes has too much circle camping shenanigans... that will now be abused to its fullest.
A lot of characters can use jungle japes to their advantage, falco, donkey kong, jiggs, etc. It isn't all that bad considering it helps many characters against matchups like lol mk.

Umby

Smash Master
Most of those "advantages" are attributed to better encompassing their stall tactics. That's probably where the disgust comes in. Having a CP where things become more advantageous for you (Snake on Halberd = easier kills off the top, for example) but when it just becomes flat out easier to stall people are gonna QQ about these kinds of stages being allowed.

Purple

Hi guys!
In the end it's just another factor that needs to be looked out for, understanding why the person chose the counter-pick along with the character blend tells you how they should play the match-up on that particular stage. Using your example that Snake kills at lower percentages off the top at Halberd, you can use this exact advantage in your own way with *most* characters. Same goes for stalling, if you know how the character stalls you can find your own ways to punish, granted that the most effective, however it can still be done. Brawl is just a campy game, we really shouldn't be complaining that we're inevitably circling back to defensive play.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
In the end it's just another factor that needs to be looked out for, understanding why the person chose the counter-pick along with the character blend tells you how they should play the match-up on that particular stage. Using your example that Snake kills at lower percentages off the top at Halberd, you can use this exact advantage in your own way with *most* characters. Same goes for stalling, if you know how the character stalls you can find your own ways to punish, granted that the most effective, however it can still be done. Brawl is just a campy game, we really shouldn't be complaining that we're inevitably circling back to defensive play.
1) I don't understand why people still think brawl's metagame is "camping" when ally, m2k, the top names in tourney play keep winning without the need of camping.

2) The only reason japes should be legal is because its a good counter against snakes.

3) Picto chat makes more sence then japes.

Umby

Smash Master
M2k and Ally are some of the top players, but that kind of play doesn't make up the majority of how Brawl is often played. Ally and M2k are smarter and understand their options better than most players, which allows them to forego camping, but the game's engine complements camping too much for such strategies to not be dominant and overused in the metagame.

To put it another way, M2k can't necessarily represent Brawl as a non-camping game, because most of what he does is based off his own player ability. Right now, a lot of players can and will camp, and a lot of effort goes into learning how to deal with that.

bigman40

Smash Master
Then show why it's a bad stage. You don't see me complaining about it. Hell, I'm not happy about Japes being legal again (after what happened to me in 09 when I got CPed there by six[I think]), but who can give a legitimate reason to why it's a bad stage and should be banned other than "This stage makes blah blah blah overpowered" ???

The stages are CPs for a reason.

Anyways, anyone wants to do something today? I'm ****ing bored.

Umby

Smash Master
Distant Planet:

Take a small version of the Halberd stage (in flight)
Make the base of that stage springy
Use a couple of small low platforms
Throw in random items that become available when you hit them
Put a large stage hazard that comes in on the only side that you need to recover on
Put a random slope with a walk-off on the other side that becomes unavailable temporarily except for the ledge

What this amounts to is where you have to adjust your muscle memory to perform aerials properly on the mainly platform, and even then because you're forced to jump higher, your accuracy may still be thrown off. This also makes you vulnerable when you land. There's already little room to move around, so the platforms provide a worse scenario than Lylat's platforms.

My main issue is the left side. There's just generally the overall problem of bad things happening on walk-offs which make a number of stages with them illegal.

Then there's the rain. It's bad enough that some characters have trouble getting back on stage after getting knocked off by the opponent, but for the stage to occasionally come in and say "**** you" adds insult to injury. They're either forced to plank the ledge during the rain or often use their third jump to get to the main part of the stage, where they become vulnerable.

Speaking of planking the ledge, even if it's temporary, the rain pretty much gives characters like MK ample time to plank without fear of retaliation (See what I was saying earlier about Brawl complementing camping, Dyno).

The big guy as a stage hazard isn't all that bad. It's only a hindrance if you managed to land on it when it's moving back toward the blast line (which is a more frequent problem on a more tolerable stage - Frigate). Otherwise it's almost helpful; more helpful than anything else the stage would have to offer without being ********.

Key point is, it's bad because it flips around most of what makes solid stages playable/tolerable and allows more leeway for more ******** and less skillful things to happen. A scrub Lucas could throw out random upsmashes, for example, and from the lag you get from jumping/landing ON THE STAGE, you may not even be able to avoid it. It's this type of stage structure that influences camping sometimes.

bigman40

Smash Master
The LGL is taken off. So planking on the ledge until the water goes away doesn't change anything (would've only mattered if the matches timed out with the last ruleset). You waste a few seconds doesn't change anything, but slightly add more pressure to the losing player.

As for the hazard on the right side, not being able to move before he moves back is your fault. Other times where you were thrown or hit onto (or into his mouth) is basically forcing you to avoid it by DIing up.

The walkoff on the left side currently helps Pikachu (to my knowledge from ESAM), and D3 (and barely Yoshi). I can't deny that (nor I will), and personally, I think that the slight area just under the main platform could end up being an over-centralized area into why the stage will be banned afterwards.

As for the items, there's about 3 (maybe four) items that are identical to how Wario's tires work. They only allow more shield pressure and combos (and you can catch them as Diddy mains do with their bananas), so I don't see any other difference when both players can use them at will.

Like I said before, I don't care what we end up doing with the stages later (I'd bet money that we're gonna leave our list alone since everyone is gonna say "it's gay; ban it."), I just want to test them to before acting irrationally without actual evidence to testify these stage.

Dyno: Stop acting as if timing out is a bad thing anymore. Most people have been playing close to the timer on purpose nowadays (except for most of GA) cause people are playing safe and cautious. If it happens to go to the timer, then so be it.

Umby

Smash Master
I only care about adding Port Town Aero Dive. It's one of the previously banned that looks like it could have potential. It's just a matter of doing something about those **** cars.

Umby

Smash Master
I said I didn't understand Distant Planet as a CP.

You asked me to stop complaining and to present logic on why it's a bad stage.

Which I did.

Never really said it mattered to me. Tbh, it'd probably turn out like you said in GA with the ruleset. Most players will call some stages gay and call for them to be banned. Expecting that, I doubt the new ruleset would have much of an impact on this state, but the fact remains that I don't understand the choice of Distant Planet as a cp.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Yall might as well stop ****ing complaining and at least test the stages before yelling bull**** without any logical backup.
This is genius. The brawl community supports stages that promote camping. Many of the stages probably aren't good for competitive play stages that force a player to be more aggressive could prove beneficial. Of course its going to change the balance of the game ,but people will have to be willing to accept that.

Umby

Smash Master
You do realize that no stage really "forces" anyone to play more aggressive. You also do realize that playing aggressively with certain characters is not always as efficient as a more defensive style of play (See: Marth) and efficiency has a higher priority than determining how a player strategically carries out a match.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
The entire point the idea im proposing is to give less of an advantage to characters such as marth. I am not saying this is a idea that will work it just a proposition.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
~Luigi's Mansion - k
~Norfair - k
~Frigate Orpheon - k
~Pokémon Stadium 2 - campy layout on the ground form (not a HUGE deal), conveyor belts on the electric form promote camping as the stage is literally pushing the players away from each other, wind/ice have very disruptive forms that mess with certain characters' mobility and playstyle. That said, i don't think it should be instantly disregarded (though i doubt many people will be selecting it).
~Port Town Aero Dive - the stage itself is fine except for the cars that do 15 damage and kill you anywhere over 20%. it can be argued that the cars are both predictable and easy to see if you are paying attention. like PS2 i don't think that it should be passed over as a CP, but i find it hard to see its continued use very long (not to say i can't be wrong). The main issue with the stage issharking, but with no ledges this is a minor issue.
~Distant Planet - people be crazy. this stage is **** and for a lot of reasons: walk off, corcle camping, sharking, instant death on the right side (he'll randomly eat you, even if you have just landed on him, giving no warning and even if you tech out of an attack). this stage should not be a CP for the same reason that most of these were taken off the CP list earlier: MK. he can uair through the main platform, run away, and then circle camp till the entire situation repeats itself. oh, and he can recover through the vines, so even if he runs out of jumps he can just up/sideneutral/up b through the stage to recover. no, no, its no completely ******** stage >_>
~Pictochat - fine. somewhat campy, but fine.
~Jungle Japes - circle camping shenanigans are the main problem with the stage, otherwise its pretty fine. falco heaven, though.
~Rainbow Cruise - :p
~Green Greens - <3 campy as balls, though.
~Brinstar - k

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
There are much more deserving stages to be neutral than pictochat.

Purple

Hi guys!
Then show why it's a bad stage. You don't see me complaining about it. Hell, I'm not happy about Japes being legal again (after what happened to me in 09 when I got CPed there by six[I think]), but who can give a legitimate reason to why it's a bad stage and should be banned other than "This stage makes blah blah blah overpowered" ???

The stages are CPs for a reason.

Anyways, anyone wants to do something today? I'm ****ing bored.
you got cp'd by wizzlecroft, and that was your fault for allowing him to do it.

Purple

Hi guys!
I'm just saying, i twas banned then, so really the experience on japes shouldn't be a viable example, considering it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Well, now you know to ban japes for falco, where else would falco take you? Another neutral?

Top Bottom