• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
One very nice thing about that Direct is Square is really getting consistent on doing the 16/32 bit remakes of classic RPG's with Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier Remastered; both coming after the well done Trials of Mana remake last year. While I'm hoping we might get a decent Final Fantasy Vi remake (since god knows SE has no interest in actually putting any old version on Switch), it would really interesting if this might lead to a potential Mario RPG remake.

That's far easier said than done, especially given that Nintendo seems to regard old Mario role playing games as quaint novelties to mention at anniversaries and little else, but at the very least there's precedent in half of the team behind SMRPG making a real effort at remastering old classics. Even something along the lines of the Legends of Mana game and offering the choice between original and newly orchestrated soundtracks would be a dream, especially considering that Yoko Shimomura herself is supervising the OST on that remake.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Sooo... As if Geno's costume returning wasn't bad enough, y'all know how Rex's costume was a pre-order bonus for pass 1, right? And how Pyra & Mythra are coming to Smash without Rex being playable? It's got me feeling like Geno's not just deconfirmed for this pass, but for Ultimate in general. I don't think anyone here can sway my opinion on that. But, if you've still got a little hope for him this game, more power to you! I don't intend to take that away from anyone.

Still gonna be here rooting for my boy, though! There's still the next Smash game, or maybe even a SMRPG remake! Heck, I'd be happy with a simple port to the Switch. Here's to hoping for some Geno in the future, whatever form it takes :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sooo... As if Geno's costume returning wasn't bad enough, y'all know how Rex's costume was a pre-order bonus for pass 1, right? And how Pyra & Mythra are coming to Smash without Rex being playable? It's got me feeling like Geno's not just deconfirmed for this pass, but for Ultimate in general. I don't think anyone here can sway my opinion on that. But, if you've still got a little hope for him this game, more power to you! I don't intend to take that away from anyone.

Still gonna be here rooting for my boy, though! There's still the next Smash game, or maybe even a SMRPG remake! Heck, I'd be happy with a simple port to the Switch. Here's to hoping for some Geno in the future, whatever form it takes :)
I don't think the Rex Mii costoume was any factor in this. How Pyra and Mythra was handled more feels like a matter of a specific gameplay idea or Sakurai just really wanting a playable version of cutscene Pyra.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I don't think the Rex Mii costoume was any factor in this. How Pyra and Mythra was handled more feels like a matter of a specific gameplay idea or Sakurai just really wanting a playable version of cutscene Pyra.
I feel like it could have played a role. I don't think this is scummy, but from the dev team's perspective, adding in a costume as an incentive for buying the full first pass, only to make that character playable later, might have felt like a scummy move. Same goes for a costume that costs 75c, even with that being such a low cost it's borderline free. I'm definitely very interested in what Sakurai will have to say about Rex's exclusion in his Presents and in Famitsu.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing to remember is Rex isn't just a simple "pre-order bonus", but it's more that it's not about pre-orders. Technically, that term is off when you can purchase the item at any time. Semantics aside, you can still purchase the Fighter's Pass 1, which is why the Rex costume isn't available. Rex was chosen directly as a consolation prize very very early on, way before Pass 2 was created.

Geno is just a returning costume and not in the same boat. I don't really think he has a chance for the last 2 characters either, but Rex's costume has no correlation to it. Geno was chosen as a returning costume and then kept that way for Pass 2, which had Sephiroth, another Square character(I specify Square due to how Square and Enix have proven to be separate companies in terms of how they do business). This hurt his chances a lot more than a veteran costume. Now to be fair, I thought every costume was coming back anyway, and I don't consider it in itself a death sentence outside of exact timing of release at best. It's not entirely over, and I also doubt a 3rd pass(it'd have to be announced during this presentation or their equivalent of an e3 direct. If not those times, it's pretty clear it isn't happening).

I get what people mean, but I'd say the Rex costume is too unique of a situation. I'd say Bomberman is a better example, if he wasn't also Premium anyway, showing that not all costumes are equal in terms of what's going on.

Rex's costume might've played a role, but see my first point about why it did. Not cause it's a costume, but because it's a special costume, equal or more important than even a Premium. Geno is most definitely not this. That, and Pyra/Mythra proved to have very unique movesets, doing stuff that Rex can't do. So moveset stuff has a role here too. It's like the Spring Man situation with Min Min, though not explained yet. The director of ARMS asked Nintendo to add a character, and Sakurai didn't understand how ARMS exactly worked, so talked to him about "why Min Min?" to understand the whole protagonist factor. This is why he mentioned it during the direct too, so people could understand the game's situation more. It also helped that Min Min had a lot more moveset ability, which may be why Sakurai was more than okay with it(that and he really liked her and Ninjara. If anything, if he had time, Spring Man probably would've gotten in otherwise, but a special situation changed who is chosen). Now, will Rex be like this? Maybe. The costume probably did matter, but as I said before, it's due to its circumstances and not just cause it's a costume.

Sakurai isn't petty like that. He made it clear how special Rex's costume was. That he has tons of fans and it's a cool thing you can get by directly getting the Fighter's Pass. That, and the fact he's a "only this way purchase" shows he's different from every other costume. It makes a ton of sense they care about how he's implemented, compared to other costumes. For instance, we could easily get, say, Tails and it'd make sense. The returning costume was nothing but a quick cash grab, not a consolation prize.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Good to see this group back together! I think his chances for Ultimate are slim, but honestly I think he's still got a future ahead of him if we can stir up enough support. I think back to Disney buying the rights back to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit after 80+ years for Epic Mickey. Hopefully if doesn't take us that long to get Nintendo-owned Geno, but I guess we'll see what happens! :laugh:

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
Completely, non Geno related, random thought.

There is DLC coming for Age of Calamity, but it seems pretty far off. Anyone think that might mean we will hear news about Breath of the Wild 2 soon?

I can see us hearing news about BotW2 and then that news wrapping itself in the DLC. Rehydrated Ganon as a DLC character (as an example). Or characters that may appear in BotW2 becoming DLC for Age of Calamity?

Then the expansion can tie directly into where we pick up in BotW2?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Completely, non Geno related, random thought.

There is DLC coming for Age of Calamity, but it seems pretty far off. Anyone think that might mean we will hear news about Breath of the Wild 2 soon?

I can see us hearing news about BotW2 and then that news wrapping itself in the DLC. Rehydrated Ganon as a DLC character (as an example). Or characters that may appear in BotW2 becoming DLC for Age of Calamity?

Then the expansion can tie directly into where we pick up in BotW2?
After what happened in the Direct, I'm expecting to be waiting till E3 for BotW2 news. Would love to be wrong, though.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Alright guys, I’ll admit, I’m a little embarrassed to say it took me this long to find out that the Geno thread had opened back up (Thanks Giga Kaiju Giga Kaiju for mentioning it in the Mallow thread). But I’m honestly really glad the thread is back up and running again, I missed you crazy goons.

My stance is still the same as it was since December: Geno could technically still happen this fighter pass, though it’s very unlikely. Geno would be an E3 worthy reveal though, so if he is happening in this season of DLC I think that timeframe would be his best bet.

Overall though I think we should just hope for a 3rd season of DLC. We’ve just now reached the second half of the Switch’s expected lifespan, and with Smash being such an evergreen title I would be very surprised if this was the final wave of DLC.
I’m not saying they’re gonna announce a third fighter’s pass after the end of this one or anything, I wholeheartedly think Sakurai and his team deserve a vacation for all the work they’ve put into this game. But in like a year or two I can imagine a final wave of DLC being announced, and if that scenario happens, I think we’re 99% back in the running. :geno:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hi Everybody, i've been gone for so long from the old thread and thought to come back here on support. it's a bummer that Geno took a pretty huge blow, but there's the possibility of a fake out for him to be a bonus fighter at the end.

Hopefully, i'll be able to keep up with you guys and help support geno in anyway possible.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I'm riding this hype train to the bitter end just like anyone else hoping for their one "WTF, THAT'S AMAZING" pick.

We're not sure if Nintendo is going to leave money on the table and call it quits Fighter's Pass 2, or go for broke with one last (short) season of DLC to max out the CSS with 4 more characters before Sakurai enters a state of hypersleep for 5 years.

March feels so far away now, christ.

Anyways, how far do we think Pyra / Mythra's music choices will go? Since we're used to discussing copyright with Geno's situation, I know that Xenogears music / mii costumes are tough to get being owned by Square Enix. Xenosaga and beyond should be much easier to get rights to use stuff.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I'm riding this hype train to the bitter end just like anyone else hoping for their one "WTF, THAT'S AMAZING" pick.

We're not sure if Nintendo is going to leave money on the table and call it quits Fighter's Pass 2, or go for broke with one last (short) season of DLC to max out the CSS with 4 more characters before Sakurai enters a state of hypersleep for 5 years.

Anyways, how far do we think Pyra / Mythra's music choices will go? Since we're used to discussing copyright with Geno's situation, I know that Xenogears music / mii costumes are tough to get being owned by Square Enix. Xenosaga and beyond should be much easier to get rights to use stuff.
honestly I think most of the content would be XC2 related besides maybe a couple XCX music tracks and a KOS-MOS costume

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

I'm thinking the vast majority, possibly all, will be XC2 considering there's still a ton of music from that game they can add

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
If u really think it's pointless then why stay around.

Just let us have our place 2 meet lmao
half of them are banned, and the others went to fkn discord. The thread is alive once again, but in zombie mode. it´s very clear because of the rate of activity,few rumours and leaks are actually posted, and so little of the usual suspects are here. Geno´s chances to be in Ultimate as a character are 0.00001%.
I would like to know why the thread was revived. it gives me grief that it´s back.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
half of them are banned, and the others went to fkn discord. The thread is alive once again, but in zombie mode. it´s very clear because of the rate of activity,few rumours and leaks are actually posted, and so little of the usual suspects are here. Geno´s chances to be in Ultimate as a character are 0.00001%.
I would like to know why the thread was revived. it gives me grief that it´s back.
So a character thread, that by your own admission, has had relatively quiet activity and thus far featured the most milquetoast discussion about a character that's not even being brought up in the main speculation discussion is giving you grief?

Well, that makes complete sense. I do hope the Mallow thread and its whopping 7 pages is not giving you undue stress as well.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So a character thread, that by your own admission, has had relatively quiet activity and thus far featured the most milquetoast discussion about a character that's not even being brought up in the main speculation discussion is giving you grief?

Well, that makes complete sense. I do hope the Mallow thread and its whopping 7 pages is not giving you undo stress as well.
Excellently well put. Not sure why people are getting their panties in a twist just because a few Smash fans enjoy having a place to voice support about Geno. The horror...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still don't understand why the mods just didn't reopen the old Geno thread instead of making a new one as everyone certainly would have come back. Less activity since Geno is likely out sure, but why allow a new Geno thread but not reopen the old one? It's kind of suspicious I would say.

Last edited:
Reactions: QQS

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still don't understand why the mods just didn't reopen the old Geno thread instead of making a new one as everyone certainly would have come back. Less activity since Geno is likely out sure, but why allow a new Geno thread but not reopen the old one? It's kind of suspicious I would say.
I think part of it was the amount of pages; something starts to bug out if a thread gets too big.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think part of it was the amount of pages; something starts to bug out if a thread gets too big.
I don't think so. Maybe you're right. But I've seen some Newcomer Threads go above 4000 pages or even above 5000. So if Newcomer could do it, why not the Geno thread?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think so. Maybe you're right. But I've seen some Newcomer Threads go above 4000 pages or even above 5000. So if Newcomer could do it, why not the Geno thread?
They closed the previous Newcomer Speculation thread for the "too big" reason so idk. Maybe it was also in hopes of starting fresh since admittedly people could get too riled up sometimes in the old one; Megadoomer mentions the too big reason on the first page though.

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I highly recommend some of you guys check out the SMRPG hacks if you've played it a couple times. To me the original game is amazing but serves little to no challenge anymore - plenty of hacks push you to your limits. I've streamed it to my fans and done plenty of content on my YT channel in the past.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I highly recommend some of you guys check out the SMRPG hacks if you've played it a couple times. To me the original game is amazing but serves little to no challenge anymore - plenty of hacks push you to your limits. I've streamed it to my fans and done plenty of content on my YT channel in the past.
I saw a video on YouTube of the Rosalina fight in SMRPG: Armageddon. It looks quite challenging:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I wanted to post the Geek Critique look at Mario RPG for this new thread, both because its one of the most effective videos at explaining the game's appeal, and that it also has me thinking about a hypothetical. Josh talks about the graphics and the contexts in which they've aged and haven't aged. With that discussion in mind, if there was a remake or sequel to it, what form should it take?

I have to admit I'm torn because the most recent Mana remakes provide two interesting examples of where it could go. On one hand the redone version of Trials of Mana made for a genuinely fun experience of seeing a 16 bit RPG title transformed into an actual 3D game. It feels true to the spirit of the original title while simultaneously creating a new way of playing it, giving it a sense of faithfulness that even several other Square games haven't managed.

On the other hand, the HD version Legend of Mana shown off in the recent Direct looks gorgeous, giving a release that was sporting a fairly timeless art style and having it seem even better. The pre-rendered backgrounds feel alive in so many ways and thinking about how dynamic the already fascinating settings of Mario RPG could be made with an HD version just feels so right.

I've gushed about the how alive the world of the SMRPG felt, especially for time and I'm left to wonder... is that feeling so tied into the isometric perspective, that going for changes beyond the likes of what Legend of Mana is doing would ruin that?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just got word that this thread returned and I'm pretty thrilled! Been really wanting to talk Geno for a while.

I think his chances are Razor thin and I'm not the most confident in him getting in Ultimate. However while I am not the biggest XC fan, it is nice to see that they still want to do more characters like Pokemon Trainer or Melee and Brawl's Zelda/Sheik. It's been giving me some really cool Geno & Mallow duo ideas!

Hoping Super Mario RPG receives some much needed and deserved attention for it's upcoming 25th Anniversary. I know gaming anniversaries are stacked this year, but to get something SMRPG related would be so awesome!

Glad to see everybody contributing and still being a huge fan of Geno!

I also accept the fact that Geno is forever cursed with coincidences
Welcome to the club. What bugs me about speculation the most is how everything seems so in his favor but always pans out as nothing. Hard lesson I learned when taking "Everyone is Here" at face value.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
One of the reasons I love SMRPG so much is cause the art style is so bizarre... everyone looks like clay. It looks like a beta in some ways.
It’s the Donkey Kong Country Technique I believe.

Make 3D models, take pictures, turn them into sprites. I feel like it fits better and has aged better in an RPG than a Platformer. Even then I still think SNES DKC Trilogy is some of the best games in the system. But yeah, SMRPG kinda nailed it.

Top Bottom