• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, that presentation for Pyra/Mythra was fun. Its interesting to see how they will play. The stage is nice. The music sounds great and the Mii Costumes were a treat to see. Now without the worry of having to prepare for Geno coming as that has happened. It is what it is but yeah.

The Monster Hunter finally fell. A pity. I had my doubts but overall kind of expected him coming as a Costume. The Kitten hat looks cute. And Arthur! The Knight from Ghosts N Goblins. Man, I was so happy in seeing him being represented. Regardless of the reason of why he was part of the round of Costumes, its appreciated. I really want to get Resurrection but I have no longer space in my Switch. One day, I'll get it surely.

Lloyd is the last one standing. Its the final Mii character to be thought of. I have a feeling he could arrive as a fighter but Mii Costume is possible. Man, the stress their supporters might be in has to be how we felt with each passing day.

Only two characters left. Let's see how it all ends.

:bowser: :starman:.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This thread feels a lot calmer then the old ones. As for Geno in general, while he's nowhere near my top 10 anymore (Both do to me being disgruntled from fatmanonice and just finding characters i wanted more), I still think he's an interesting case in how a character as minor as he is can have such a strong following.
I'm sorry to hear that others have shifted your opinion. I think I'm leaning towards Geno/Mallow as a duo character in the same realm as Pokemon Trainer or formerly Zelda/Shiek. I think that is something that could be easily rolled into one fighter and each would compliment each other extremely well. Part of me has been feeling this way because it is hard to justify Geno's existence without Mallow.

Since it is extremely likely that the next time our guy will be considered likely would be when Smash Bros has a clean slate, (aka Smash 6) I think wanting Geno and Mallow as duo character is definitely on the table.

I'll probably be calling it quits by the time Smash 6 is announced and in development. However I'm ambitious to an unhealthy level. Geno being my most wanted character since 2005 has brought me to this point, and it is something that I want to see come to fruition. Part of me just wants to see that my time supporting a character and game like Super Mario RPG to return was worth something in the long haul.

Hopefully you will get a chance to rekindle an interest for Geno in the future!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
The weird thing about Pyra/Mythra addition to Smash is that they help Geno's case. Got in an argument with a friend recently about him again, and he said "But Geno's not the main character" and I said "Well neither is Pyra or Mythra" and he legit didn't have a response lollll.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
nah, I feel like Lloyd's costume will return in the next pack
I mean, it's possible the Lloyd Mii costume could return with a playable Lloyd or Yuri. I still think either eay the costume will return to complete the Smash 4 Mii costumes in Ultimate. Actually, it wouldn't be complete unless they bring the Red Shell Hat back. It's kind of bizarre that isn't in Ultimate.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I mean, it's possible the Lloyd Mii costume could return with a playable Lloyd or Yuri. I still think either eay the costume will return to complete the Smash 4 Mii costumes in Ultimate. Actually, it wouldn't be complete unless they bring the Red Shell Hat back. It's kind of bizarre that isn't in Ultimate.
pretty sure there are other costumes that were cut as well

personally I don't think we're getting a Tales character, or even a Namco character in general honestly

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
pretty sure there are other costumes that were cut as well

personally I don't think we're getting a Tales character, or even a Namco character in general honestly
Well, that's your opinion not mine or a lot of others. I still think even if Lloyd or Tales Of is out, we are still getting a Namco rep since Namco is the only veteran 3rd party company to not yet get a newcomer in Ultimate or 2nd newcomer in general.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The weird thing about Pyra/Mythra addition to Smash is that they help Geno's case. Got in an argument with a friend recently about him again, and he said "But Geno's not the main character" and I said "Well neither is Pyra or Mythra" and he legit didn't have a response lollll.
The biggest take away I took is that Mii Costumes do not deconfirm according to Sakurai. Rex being considered well after his Mii Costume was a pre-order bonus is a huge indicator that a Mii Costume might not be as much of a death sentence as we thought.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course, the Mii costume being in this wave doesn't look that great, but this suggests to me it was coming back as long as SE allowed it.

I don't think he's really on the table anymore in general for this game, but Rex's situation is a godsend for speculation. And Rex was a very special situation costume, one of the more important ones(the only other ones which can be seen as decently important otherwise are Premium costumes, especially if they have something special. They are designed to be almost identical(or sometimes pretty much are) to the actual character, which is telling on the intention at that point).

Nonetheless, I'm happy to see this. I still don't think a Fighter's Pass 3 is coming, or, say, Bonus Characters/an Echo Pass, but I don't feel nearly as confident in it being over. Sakurai pretty much can't say more than "this is it" if he can say anything at all. This is what led me to believe, as he's specified a lot, we have exact two Character Packs left. But yeah.

Here's hoping Geno has a chance, even if it's next Smash. :)

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Alright , I'm back.

First of all , my thoughts on the sword gals ;

I'm honestly surprised at how straight forward their moveset is. People often told me that Rex and Pyra would be a very complex character , and according to Sakurai , that's exactly why he couldn't include them in the base game , funnily enough.
I appreciate a more focused moveset , instead of using too many gimmicks. But it's perhaps... A bit too simple. A lot of their normals feel like the generic swordman sword swings , especially when Seph (despise how much i don't like him) felt more varied in that regard , with more stabbing and using his dark fancy anima magic don't kill me , my FF knowledge is quite limited in most of his moves. And... Well , you felt like you had a big sword , massive hitboxes with lot of start-up you know.
Then again , when you have a rather classic sword , it can be hard to have interesting normals if it's not mixed with magic , brawling , or another weapon compensating it. We have around 18 sword dudes and gals , there's so many ways you can swing a sword before it get dull.

However , I find it really cool that Sakurai found the opportunity to make his OG vision of Zelda/Sheik finally come true. Having the one character to do combos and damage , being very speedy , but having next to no kill power outside of edgeguarding , and then having the one character that just hit like a truck and have a more intimidating neutral presence despise it's slower speed.
I will admit that I'm scared that foresight might slowly make Pyra's kill power obsolete , since it's an extremely rewarding parry due to how much distance you cover with it , and how fast Mythra's moves come out. It's also way easier to use than the universal parry , so there's that.

When it come to the mii costumes , I find the Arthur mii really cool. Due to the proportions of the miis , he fit in rather well , and the face of the mii doesn't look too weird on him. I'm surprised we only got Capcom stuff tho ; They insisted it was because they wanted to promote MH Rise and Ghost and Goblins , but I wonder if it's because there's no Capcom character planned.
But on the other side , Capcom just have a massive library of characters to choose from (Phoenix , Dante , the dog girl from Okami , Frank West , and so on) so it wouldn't be hard to make a fighter pack.

---

Now , mah boi Geno ;

No matter how hard I try , I have an hard time finding a mii that fit Geno's face well. The mii having a pretty much 720p quality make it so it looks very odd compared to the detailled wood texture of the costume ; it doesn't help that Geno emote in a rather peculiar way due to his nutcracker mouth. I'm honestly considering just using the default gunner mii , especially after reading this small comic ;
I prefer to see the Geno costume on someone else at this point , it's a costume , not Geno. I wanna see a new gal continue Geno's legacy , if that make sense !

Geno's future for Ultimate look pretty bleak now , since you know... Sephiroth , we're nearing the end of FP2 and all of that. To be blunt , unless we get more DLCs (especially in a standalone format) , it might be over for the puppet for Ultimate. Not next game tho , every new smash game is a blank state for newcomers !
What i'm more hopeful for is a SMRPG revival of some kind , be it a remaster , remake , or sequel.

SE love the Switch. We litteraly get a new SE exclusive to the Switch every 6 months at this rate lol. Heck , look at the last Nintendo direct , we had SE games in there ! A Mana remake , and Project Triangle , not to count that we got BD2 recently , all being exclusives ! Not counting multi platform releases and the ton of ports , the Switch is a good console for RPGs and SE fans.
And , you know , since Tanabe is kinda dead on making Paper Mario "A RPG but not really one" nowadays , and that Mario and Luigi is kinda dormant at the time... Well , we have some room to spare for a new Mario RPG. I suggested years ago to reboot Mario RPGs , and a modern SMRPG remake could be a very good start.
SE is very buddy buddy with Nintendo , Nintendo loves making Mario games , so having a new collaboration between these two would be sure to get some press headlines and people excited. A see a lot of skeptical peoples toward the future of Mario RPGs (understandably so) , but we should remember one thing... It's Mario. It's not a Chibi-Robo Zip Lash case , we're talking about Mario , I doubt they will throw away an entire sub-franchise of one of their biggest names (wich had 10+ games btw) due to recent circonstances.
On the other side... Why would SE refuse a collaboration with Nintendo , on a Mario game no less ? Granted , they might be busy right now , but in the future , there's no way in hell they would say no to such a collaboration. Mario games sells a lot , even the RPGs at least sold 2 millions each. And it would also open the door for even more collaborations !

Maybe I'm being too optimistic , but eh , I prefer to walk down the road happily , even if it takes a long time to get at the end.
Here's hoping the future have something good in stock for Geno and friends !

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Please, that rules been dead since Min-Min came out :p

In general the rules for smash characters is less "They have to fit , , and _ criteria and more that they have to fufill four categories

1. Does Sakurai or Nintendo want them in
1.5. If yes to Sakurai, Will Nintendo let them in
2. Does Sakurai feel he can make a good moveset for them
3. Can they be licensed without to much hassle

There are very few characters who numbers 1.5 or 3 are an issue with, and generally with 3 it's only if we got a really greedy company or a creator who just doesn't want them in smash for personal reasons (ALA Nagoshi not wanting Kiryu in smash do to him not wanting Kiryu to hit woman), and Nintendo may give Sakurai list of characters to choose from for DLC, but i'm guessing if he really wanted someone he could convince the higher ups to let him add them.

Genos does have issues in importance, namely his licensing is competing with many of the big name RPGs out there, but I don't think Square would really ever go "No We can't let you use him" as much as say "Can you use ___ Iconic RPG character who is more of a represenitive of our company instead".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not sure how much more Mythra has to do to be considered the main character of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but you do you I guess. I think it's safe to say she's as much the main character of 2 as Shulk is of 1.

The Mario franchise has enough representation to not need to rely on main characters anymore, anyway. Lesser franchises have shifted to villains and side characters (Star Fox and Kid Icarus come to mind), so the argument is moot tbh.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Please, that rules been dead since Min-Min came out :p

In general the rules for smash characters is less "They have to fit , , and _ criteria and more that they have to fufill four categories

1. Does Sakurai or Nintendo want them in
1.5. If yes to Sakurai, Will Nintendo let them in
2. Does Sakurai feel he can make a good moveset for them
3. Can they be licensed without to much hassle

There are very few characters who numbers 1.5 or 3 are an issue with, and generally with 3 it's only if we got a really greedy company or a creator who just doesn't want them in smash for personal reasons (ALA Nagoshi not wanting Kiryu in smash do to him not wanting Kiryu to hit woman), and Nintendo may give Sakurai list of characters to choose from for DLC, but i'm guessing if he really wanted someone he could convince the higher ups to let him add them.

Genos does have issues in importance, namely his licensing is competing with many of the big name RPGs out there, but I don't think Square would really ever go "No We can't let you use him" as much as say "Can you use ___ Iconic RPG character who is more of a represenitive of our company instead".
there are still some points to it if its the first char of the franchise and when we dont talk about undertale because sans is a weird case he represents only the bad run but hes sooooooooooooooooooooo popular that hel would be the first rep (even though human and flowey and kris are more important)

why min min because she technicly is the main char and because spring is at and ribbon is to girly but for example twintelle wouldnt have worked because she has no ARMS

D

Deleted member

there are still some points to it if its the first char of the franchise and when we dont talk about undertale because sans is a weird case he represents only the bad run but hes sooooooooooooooooooooo popular that hel would be the first rep (even though human and flowey and kris are more important)

why min min because she technicly is the main char and because spring is at and ribbon is to girly but for example twintelle wouldnt have worked because she has no ARMS
I'm not sure how Sans the meme skeleton isn't more important than generic human child since he turns out to be
some kind of cross-timeline psuedo detective who is more intimately aware of the reloading of reality than the player is, and this seems to be a constant fact regardless of whether or not you murdered everyone on a given playthrough

... but it is probably fair to say that Flowey is, in his special ****ed up way, the main character of Undertale; him and the
dead human child who looks an awful lot like the player

I dunno what point you're trying to get across about the ARMS fighter. Twintelle does indeed not have traditional ARMS but Sakurai was pretty clear about the fact that everyone's the main character of ARMS in their own way, and that Min Min just happened to be the dev's favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm not sure how Sans the meme skeleton isn't more important than generic human child since he turns out to be
some kind of cross-timeline psuedo detective who is more intimately aware of the reloading of reality than the player is, and this seems to be a constant fact regardless of whether or not you murdered everyone on a given playthrough

... but it is probably fair to say that Flowey is, in his special ****ed up way, the main character of Undertale; him and the
dead human child who looks an awful lot like the player

I dunno what point you're trying to get across about the ARMS fighter. Twintelle does indeed not have traditional ARMS but Sakurai was pretty clear about the fact that everyone's the main character of ARMS in their own way, and that Min Min just happened to be the dev's favorite.
It seems you didnt play undertale!
But the Humasn Represents SpARE/Fight the main gimmick of Ut!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Official Nintendo Acknowledgement.
There’s also this:

Just more acknowledgement, but I thought it was cool.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Endlessly gushing about Mario RPG was my common habit in the previous thread (and will no doubt continue tomorrow when the anniversary is officially marked in the West) but man the art style still feels so timeless . I think that's one of the reasons the game still holds so much intrigue personally; an interesting what if path for what the general setting could have been prior to the more solidified direction it took following the N64 games.

I guess for me it also really worked for having that distinctly Squaresoft sense of gravitas to it. Mario titles, especially the RPGs are capable of doing serious and Super Paper Mario especially was great at conveying darker story elements. And yet SMRPG always has an air of mythic wonder to it separate from the storybook narrative with goofy charm that later Mario role playing titles went for. Its lighthearted but without ever losing a sense that the quest feels important, and that rather being in a story, you're in a world that needs saving.

Its an element that I never know if it comes across to younger players as much (or older ones well versed in RPG's prior to the games release), but if if you're a major fan its just something you really understand when playing.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

1996 "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars" released today !! Beware of forest mushrooms. This may be the first time that a full-scale story has been given to the Mario series. # Smash Bros SP

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Happy 25th anniversary to Super Mario RPG!!!

QQS

Smash Lord
The recognition is amazing. Hope they add SMRPG to the NSO soon, or even a remastered version in Switch.

Also, I still believe Geno can join the party! We still have 2 DLC slots and more empty spaces when the Roster isn’t stacked (I think 4, right?). Wasn’t also a theory of 4 missing spots in WoL? Well, regarding of that, I do believe the last character or even a Third Pass is coming. Maybe in the form of Bonus Pass.

Maybe Sakurai has this hidden in the locker:

3B2912C3-1C51-4BB9-A332-C2D9B0B6E761.jpeg

May our eternal and not forgotten friend see the light, one day my friends...

341DB09F-2ED5-4639-B8E9-B5E6218797E7.jpeg

Last photo seen HERE. Credit to Artist.

Best wishes to all!

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Happy 25th Anniversary to Super Mario RPG !

Never knew a game like this would take me for a ride that lasts even to this day. I'm so glad it brought so many joy and happiness along with discovering a neat group of people that I talk from time to time ^^

May this Anniversary start something new and hopefully something great in the futur~ <3

Heoj

Smash Ace
Great to see some acknowledgement for SMRPG. At this rate, im just hoping for a SMRPG revival since i think its definitely possible, Square has lots of switch rpg exlusives nowadays and they are making quite a few remasters and ports n stuff, so its definitely possible at some point in time smrpg gets revisited.
Also really good that both geno and smrpg have been trending on twitter(geno from sephiroth's presentation and smrpg for the anniversary).

D

Deleted member

Well, it finally happened, huh. The SM35th recognition we waited for... With no remake.

It's maddening to the point of laughter to think that we were strung along for a year on two completely different false rumors, but I have to say the Remake not being real hurts a lot less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom