• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

D

Deleted member

lays out candles in the seven colors of the rainbow star pieces

Geno friends, I ask that you join hands as we conduct a séance. From across the bounds of the network, I have a message to deliver from a beloved and removed friend, perhaps the realest of this community. Though I cannot mention his name, I think with a little deductive reasoning, cellulite and frozen water, you can figure out who it comes from.

"Happy SMRPG Day, comrades. Here's to an amazing game and hopefully good things in the future. Keep on truckin'."

Can't get too long of a message in these long distance calls.

join the star road discord

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
In general the rules for smash characters is less "They have to fit , , and _ criteria and more that they have to fufill four categories

1. Does Sakurai or Nintendo want them in
1.5. If yes to Sakurai, Will Nintendo let them in
2. Does Sakurai feel he can make a good moveset for them
3. Can they be licensed without to much hassle
I agree that your breakdown is pretty much the only real deciding factor as to whether a certain character can get into Smash. We've seen time and time again that modern relevance, recognizability and the size of a given franchise is no direct indicator for a character's inclusion. The primary requirement, more than anything, is whether Sakurai/Nintendo see merit to the character. Period. That said, I think it's pretty obvious that, as of now, Nintendo at the very least does not see the merit in adding Geno as a playable fighter, however, that doesn't mean that their minds can't be changed. I still believe that fervent and ongoing support will eventually knock some sense into them and help them realize that there is still a demand for what SMRPG brought to the Mario franchise. After watching the Paper Mario franchise slowly stagnate, I hope they figure out that a more traditional RPG style, with better graphics, more interesting characters, more interesting locales and more engrossing combat, would be vastly appreciated by gamers at large. And by extension, this could renew Geno's relevance and allow the Mario pantheon to be extended. I think the biggest obstacle right now for Geno is simply Nintendo/Miyamoto's stupidly puritanic belief that the Mario franchise is incapable of anything truly new or diverse when it comes to original characters. I hope that mentality changes...or that Miyamoto finally retires so that we can get some fresh eyes on the Mario franchise.

D

Deleted member

I agree that your breakdown is pretty much the only real deciding factor as to whether a certain character can get into Smash. We've seen time and time again that modern relevance, recognizability and the size of a given franchise is no direct indicator for a character's inclusion. The primary requirement, more than anything, is whether Sakurai/Nintendo see merit to the character. Period. That said, I think it's pretty obvious that, as of now, Nintendo at the very least does not see the merit in adding Geno as a playable fighter, however, that doesn't mean that their minds can't be changed. I still believe that fervent and ongoing support will eventually knock some sense into them and help them realize that there is still a demand for what SMRPG brought to the Mario franchise. After watching the Paper Mario franchise slowly stagnate, I hope they figure out that a more traditional RPG style, with better graphics, more interesting characters, more interesting locales and more engrossing combat, would be vastly appreciated by gamers at large. And by extension, this could renew Geno's relevance and allow the Mario pantheon to be extended. I think the biggest obstacle right now for Geno is simply Nintendo/Miyamoto's stupidly puritanic belief that the Mario franchise is incapable of anything truly new or diverse when it comes to original characters. I hope that mentality changes...or that Miyamoto finally retires so that we can get some fresh eyes on the Mario franchise.
I often sit around and wonder about the inclusion of characters in Smash and am something of a purist to the point of being a complete douche about the "integrity" of characters added to Smash. It felt quite magical in 1999 to see a video game featuring Nintendo's greats and watching that roster get expanded in 2001. It was a fun journey from announcement to launch for Brawl and once again, we saw a roster of video gaming legends come together and it truly made me, and I think I speak for a lot of other people too, think that anything was possible for the future of this franchise. These characters seemed to have "merit" in Nintendo's eyes because of who they were, and for a handful of characters, that was quite true.

Mario and Donkey Kong are the backbone of Nintendo's success.
The Legend of Zelda has been an evergreen title for them, even in its darkest days.
Pokemon.

And unfortunately I think this was very much the end of what had "merit" in Nintendo's eyes. I often grill character choices now because they're "shills" for an upcoming game or advertisements for a recent one... But I had this awful epiphany the other day that outside of those three (or four if you want to split hairs) franchises, every addition to Smash has been advertisement. Captain Falcon and Ness weren't "haha look at these obscure characters" - F-Zero had just gotten F-Zero X and was getting a Disk Drive expansion in Japan, and at this point, Earthbound was only 4 years old and everyone was damn sure Earthbound 64 was right around the corner. In fact, as far as 64 goes, Samus may have been the strangest inclusion, what with a 5 year gap from the most recent title and nothing on the horizon until Metroid Prime's first glimmers of development may have started a year after Smash 64's release.

Naturally, Melee followed the trend of adding characters to the big three, and then started the woeful process of using Smash as a way to advertise Fire Emblem. Even when you consider some innocent inclusion like Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch, they were just advertisements for the upcoming ports of Famicom classics to the GBA, and the often overlooked Game and Watch Gallery titles, also on Nintendo's handhelds. The spirit of these inclusions felt more like "awareness" checks than outright advertisement, but I think a lot of that might have been a product of the fact that consumers weren't so keen on the pulse of the industry as we are now. To this day, I think I'd say the only genuine, left field inclusions to Smash that were done just for shiggles are R.O.B. and Duck Hunt, neither of which can be tied to a game or any other form of advertisement, and are just heartfelt nods to two of the things that made the NES sell gangbusters. And more recently, Ridley and K. Rool, two more honest to God inclusions meant to put a smile on someone's face and nothing more... Though it's fair to say that Nintendo very much expected Metroid Prime 4 to be out by now.

Brawl really did answer a lot of fan requests, but I think that it was serendipitous that fan requests happened to line up with Nintendo's gameplan at the time. 2005 - 06 and 2008 saw a relatively big push for Kirby, and Meta Knight and King Dedede just happened to be big fan requests at the time. The longtime requested Wario showed up, but with a moveset and personality based almost entirely on his appearance in WarioWare rather than the Wario Land that everyone dreamed of. Pit, seemingly spawned from a positive fan reaction to Ice Climbers was secretly raising awareness for a reboot to the franchise made by Smash's very own director. I'm not trying to be super negative about the character picks, it was great... I just feel like we misread the intentions. Like, they're a business, they do what makes money, that's really all we should ever expect.

It's no secret that we've been rooting for an underdog with a hell of a lot of chips stacked against him, but I really did realize with this that just how much " an underdog" has been understated dramatically. I don't want to say literally impossible... But goddamn. We sometimes get some detractors who'll say we missed our chance for Geno to be a fighter with Brawl but... Probably not? By these metrics we missed our chance in Smash 64, or worse still, we missed our chance the very second Nintendo let Square have the rights to the original content in Super Mario RPG. I guess if you really need to smile, we never missed our chance, as long as a standalone paid re-release of Super Mario RPG exists, so too does the opportunity to shill it with Geno.

So uh... there I go again posting something really long that can be summed up in a lot fewer words about what I think qualifies as "merit" to Nintendo or Sakurai, but it is what it is, I can't stop myself from going when the keyboard is hot.

EDIT:
Oh, and for the record, despite the fact that I think the guy is getting a little too old and unflexible to continue fostering healthy game development, I'll actually die on the hill that Miyamoto isn't shortchanging Mario for unique characters, nor is he or some shadowy board of Mario puritans keeping unique characters from coming back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
I often sit around and wonder about the inclusion of characters in Smash and am something of a purist to the point of being a complete douche about the "integrity" of characters added to Smash. It felt quite magical in 1999 to see a video game featuring Nintendo's greats and watching that roster get expanded in 2001. It was a fun journey from announcement to launch for Brawl and once again, we saw a roster of video gaming legends come together and it truly made me, and I think I speak for a lot of other people too, think that anything was possible for the future of this franchise. These characters seemed to have "merit" in Nintendo's eyes because of who they were, and for a handful of characters, that was quite true.

Mario and Donkey Kong are the backbone of Nintendo's success.
The Legend of Zelda has been an evergreen title for them, even in its darkest days.
Pokemon.

And unfortunately I think this was very much the end of what had "merit" in Nintendo's eyes. I often grill character choices now because they're "shills" for an upcoming game or advertisements for a recent one... But I had this awful epiphany the other day that outside of those three (or four if you want to split hairs) franchises, every addition to Smash has been advertisement. Captain Falcon and Ness weren't "haha look at these obscure characters" - F-Zero had just gotten F-Zero X and was getting a Disk Drive expansion in Japan, and at this point, Earthbound was only 4 years old and everyone was damn sure Earthbound 64 was right around the corner. In fact, as far as 64 goes, Samus may have been the strangest inclusion, what with a 5 year gap from the most recent title and nothing on the horizon until Metroid Prime's first glimmers of development may have started a year after Smash 64's release.

Naturally, Melee followed the trend of adding characters to the big three, and then started the woeful process of using Smash as a way to advertise Fire Emblem. Even when you consider some innocent inclusion like Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch, they were just advertisements for the upcoming ports of Famicom classics to the GBA, and the often overlooked Game and Watch Gallery titles, also on Nintendo's handhelds. The spirit of these inclusions felt more like "awareness" checks than outright advertisement, but I think a lot of that might have been a product of the fact that consumers weren't so keen on the pulse of the industry as we are now. To this day, I think I'd say the only genuine, left field inclusions to Smash that were done just for shiggles are R.O.B. and Duck Hunt, neither of which can be tied to a game or any other form of advertisement, and are just heartfelt nods to two of the things that made the NES sell gangbusters. And more recently, Ridley and K. Rool, two more honest to God inclusions meant to put a smile on someone's face and nothing more... Though it's fair to say that Nintendo very much expected Metroid Prime 4 to be out by now.

Brawl really did answer a lot of fan requests, but I think that it was serendipitous that fan requests happened to line up with Nintendo's gameplan at the time. 2005 - 06 and 2008 saw a relatively big push for Kirby, and Meta Knight and King Dedede just happened to be big fan requests at the time. The longtime requested Wario showed up, but with a moveset and personality based almost entirely on his appearance in WarioWare rather than the Wario Land that everyone dreamed of. Pit, seemingly spawned from a positive fan reaction to Ice Climbers was secretly raising awareness for a reboot to the franchise made by Smash's very own director. I'm not trying to be super negative about the character picks, it was great... I just feel like we misread the intentions. Like, they're a business, they do what makes money, that's really all we should ever expect.

It's no secret that we've been rooting for an underdog with a hell of a lot of chips stacked against him, but I really did realize with this that just how much " an underdog" has been understated dramatically. I don't want to say literally impossible... But goddamn. We sometimes get some detractors who'll say we missed our chance for Geno to be a fighter with Brawl but... Probably not? By these metrics we missed our chance in Smash 64, or worse still, we missed our chance the very second Nintendo let Square have the rights to the original content in Super Mario RPG. I guess if you really need to smile, we never missed our chance, as long as a standalone paid re-release of Super Mario RPG exists, so too does the opportunity to shill it with Geno.

So uh... there I go again posting something really long that can be summed up in a lot fewer words about what I think qualifies as "merit" to Nintendo or Sakurai, but it is what it is, I can't stop myself from going when the keyboard is hot.

EDIT:
Oh, and for the record, despite the fact that I think the guy is getting a little too old and unflexible to continue fostering healthy game development, I'll actually die on the hill that Miyamoto isn't shortchanging Mario for unique characters, nor is he or some shadowy board of Mario puritans keeping unique characters from coming back.
While I definitely agree that most Smash characters have some kind of marketing strategy to them, especially when it comes to DLC, there are several outliers that kill that notion as an absolute. A few easy examples would include Duck Hunt and Banjo Kazooie. Neither of them were a direct advertisement of a recent IP movement, and in the case of BK, they were straight up owned by a competitor without any hopes of giving Nintendo anything beyond fan wish fulfillment and smash DLC sales. Granted, you could argue that fan wish fulfillment is a marketing strategy unto itself, but I would much rather have that as a motivation over straight up shill picks cuz "muh new games". I guess if you want to split hairs, Smash Bros itself is basically one huge advertisement but inclusions from Brawl, Sm4sh and Ultimate suggest that fan input and Nintendo history still play a significant role in who gets added to the game.

As for Miyamoto and the puritanic Mario sentiment, I thought it was already generally established that it's definitely a real thing as proven by the increasing lack of creativity when it came to Mario RPG characters. The most recent installments of Paper mario, for example, don't even allow party members to vary beyond simple palette swaps of generic Mario enemies. To my knowledge, Rosalina was the last original recurring Mario character to be added to the franchise and that was Mario Galaxy back in 2007. I appreciate what Miyamoto has done for the Mario franchise, but I think Nintendo is well over due for some new blood to keep things fresh. The guy is 68 for goodness sake. He's earned a good retirement.

D

Deleted member

While I definitely agree that most Smash characters have some kind of marketing strategy to them, especially when it comes to DLC, there are several outliers that kill that notion as an absolute. A few easy examples would include Duck Hunt and Banjo Kazooie. Neither of them were a direct advertisement of a recent IP movement, and in the case of BK, they were straight up owned by a competitor without any hopes of giving Nintendo anything beyond fan wish fulfillment and smash DLC sales. Granted, you could argue that fan wish fulfillment is a marketing strategy unto itself, but I would much rather have that as a motivation over straight up shill picks cuz "muh new games". I guess if you want to split hairs, Smash Bros itself is basically one huge advertisement but inclusions from Brawl, Sm4sh and Ultimate suggest that fan input and Nintendo history still play a significant role in who gets added to the game.

As for Miyamoto and the puritanic Mario sentiment, I thought it was already generally established that it's definitely a real thing as proven by the increasing lack of creativity when it came to Mario RPG characters. The most recent installments of Paper mario, for example, don't even allow party members to vary beyond simple palette swaps of generic Mario enemies. To my knowledge, Rosalina was the last original recurring Mario character to be added to the franchise and that was Mario Galaxy back in 2007. I appreciate what Miyamoto has done for the Mario franchise, but I think Nintendo is well over due for some new blood to keep things fresh. The guy is 68 for goodness sake. He's earned a good retirement.
Well, badmouthing Banjo isn't accepted in this community so I'll keep my analysis of his inclusion to myself, but I don't think it was as much a tip of the hat to fans as we imagine, and in fact is another case of serendipity that we have misread. Appealing to the fans is a good marketing strategy but I think that it, unfortunately, is not long term sustainable nor does it pull in the kind of revenue necessary to keep closing deals on character and music inclusion in a party game that happens to have a sizeable but ultimately insignificant competitive following, and really, I have to wonder not just beyond whether or not every inclusion has been advertisement in some way, if us old bloods just aren't the ones being advertised to at all anymore. I've mentioned before that one of the reasons appealing to fans isn't a good long-term solutions is that we're already here. Nintendo has and can continue to wrong us by providing less than stellar remakes, shallow new experiences, and general poor consumer relations, but we stick around. We complain until we're blue in the face that this online service isn't worth $20 a year but most of us have it. We are underwhelmed by a product that fails to live up to our expectations yet we come back for the next in hopes that it will be better, and every now and again, we're hit with something that reminds us why we're fans in the first place and it keeps us coming back with hope instead of cautious optimism.

I think in Smash we see a little terrarium type emulation of that, but the days of needing to keep us hooked are long over. They gave us Brawl and then gave us characters like Mega Man and Little Mac in Smash 4, and then Ridley, Simon and K. Rool in Ultimate, and even Banjo in the DLC, but those are just those little somethings that remind us why we're here, that glimmer of hope that has us hanging onto their every announcement, tuning in and filming ourselves reacting to the next announcement or even the announcement of an announcement. The whole of it, though, that's not for us anymore.

It's quite tiresome to live in that cycle, if I'm being honest. The only thing that makes it bearable is to complain endlessly about it and hope to be wrong every now and again.

As for Miyamoto and the Mario franchise, I agree that there has been some degree of standardization over the years, mostly just in getting designs hammered out as "this is what [x] looks like every time", which there's nothing really wrong with that. I think the funniest thing I've realized about the complaints, especially in regard to Paper Mario about "generic Mario enemies" is that Paper Mario partners have always been generic Mario enemies wearing special clothes or being palette swapped, maybe both sometimes. Literal hat goombas, Koopas wearing some clothes, a special looking bob-omb... The most unique party members ever in Paper Mario were Flurry and Vivian, and while one of those is definitely a fan favorite, the other is... kind of... uh... A mistake. If Miyamoto is truly guilty of anything regarding these characters it's two things that have been consistent about him pretty much his entire career:

1. Function is more important than form and in fact, form is modified to enhance function.
2. Always press forward and make something new.

We're just in an unfortunate cycle where the fans want to relive the same magic over and over, get to know the same characters over and over, and the creators would rather try out new ideas and see what works, what doesn't, and then improve on what works - sometimes that even means throwing out what worked to see if something new will work in its place. Obviously we all think it'd be much more beneficial for them to take that testing ground to a new spinoff series, but Nintendo knows they can sell Paper Mario to us no matter what they try, and now that it's hit rock bottom they'll most likely throw us that aforementioned gem and start the cycle all over again. I'm not of the mindset that they intentionally set out to sterilize Paper Mario, I'm more of the belief that they cut corners and worked out the bare minimum of what pushes a game off the shelves and into hands. It's a low risk, high reward attitude with a spinoff series that probably hasn't been posting the best results, especially after Color Splash.

As for Miyamoto's age, I think that has nothing to do with it, actually. I work IT with some surprisingly old individuals, and we all know that the stereotype is that past a certain age, people just aren't good at this whole "technology" thing, but it's really about mindset. These old guns are willing to learn the new stuff and willing to let go of the past, and that's where all the difference is. I think that Miyamoto just doesn't have the mindset to accept a different Mario than his vision, and that's probably something we'll see in other franchises if the directors are allowed to age with an iron fist and a closed mind about where the franchises go.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Happy 25th anniversary Super Mario RPG! It’s crazy to think it’s been 25 years since this game came out, which now makes me feel old by extension. And I wasn’t even alive when this game came out! This game means a lot to me, as I’m sure it does for everyone else here. Whether it’s due to nostalgia, the people you’ve met through a shared love of this game, the Smash speculation, or you just liked the game, I think we’re all here for the same reason: This game absolutely rules. I have a lot of appreciation for the game, it’s fans, and the people I’ve met through it. Thank you Super Mario RPG.

And hey, Here’s hoping once again that Geno shows up as a fighter sometime soon!:geno:

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It feels great to use the Geno emoji again:geno:
Alright there is something I wanted to say long time ago I mentioned about the VR Papa Geno’s pizzeria world that I was working on starting in 2019 I still actually need more time to finally release it publicly there are things I am trying to implement but it takes 10 mistakes to get it working at the end
As Miyamoto says a delayed game is better than a rushed game
However the feedback so far I got from the people who have seen the papa Geno pizzaria is they really loved it

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Geno will be playable. There is no reason Sakurai didn’t say a word about his Mii costumed again. Also, some things didn’t match for me, like the Forest/Armed takedowns + Ultra Fan Demand + the mod with Geno there takedown. Maybe Square wanted to re sell the Mii again and maybe in DLC #11 or Bonus or Third Pass, there is Geno.

Ultimate:

Base Game: Cloud
FP1: Hero
FP2: Sephiroth
FP3: Geno (or Bonus).

The thing is, this is the Smash where Geno fits more, and maybe there wont be another Smash in maybe 7-9 years more. Also, this is one of the the LAST and for me BEST Dream Pick left, maybe with Isaac and Sora. I hope they add also: Crash or Rayman; and another from Sonic or Zelda.

If not, I don’t complain cause Smash is perfect already and the team and roster are amazing. It’s just what I believe...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Origami King is an interesting title to compare with Mario RPG especially with the latter's anniversary today. I think some respects they're probably the most diametrically opposed Mario titles out there perhaps only eclipsed by the contrast between something like Mario 3D Land and Mario Sunshine.

I will say for OK that unlike Sticker Star or Color Splash which were very flawed executions of a role playing game, the former is a successful attempt at being an enjoyable action adventure title (albeit with RPG elements that don't really feel like they fit anymore). So if nothing else, I don't want this comparison to be seen as an excuse to bag on OK.

When I say the two relevant titles are at opposite ends of a spectrum I mean it in a sense that Mario RPG feels like such a fundamentally out there concept with a feel that was never attempted while Origami King feels very much like the end point of Nintendo's preferred execution of a non-platforming Mario story to the point where it likely will be the model they'll draw from in the future.

The 1996 title is one that very much was so bizarre on paper. Square doing a Mario game (years before they were utilizing their sensibilities on other properties ala Kingdom Hearts) is something that so very well could have gone wrong or felt very ill fitting. That it succeeded as well as it did speaks to their talents and that the Mario universe was the absolute perfect point to explore. While both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi did put together creative worlds and non-traditional settings in their settings, it never felt quite as off the beaten path as this one (with the potential exception of SPM).

The game is more or less a triumph of timing, with Square having mastered the 16 bit RPG, Nintendo the image of Mario, and both going into much different directions after 1996. Trying a release like this even two years before or after feels like it would have produced a much different result given the circumstances. The former became known for the heavier, more "realistic" RPG's and the latter would corner the market on safe for all ages, storybook presentation (with stuff like the noted Super Paper Mario very much being the exception). Square would rarely get light hearted games as fun as this and Nintendo's sense of gravitas with Mario would often be limited to stuff like the first Galaxy title.

By contrast Origami King seems to me like what Nintendo has been trying to do with its role playing game releases since the initial dubious shift in Sticker Star. Its trend since then has been disdainfully referred to as casualization by many of its critics, but I suspect its closer to the company wanting a sense of carrying on the spirit of the Mario platformer titles into character/story oriented spin-offs like Paper Mario. SS was horrible attempt largely because it was an outright stripping away of the first two titles down to essentials, with generic series elements to fill them. Color Splash improved on the idea somewhat, yet it still felt like an odd blending of elements that didn't quite fit, another sign of the continued tinkering they were still doing.

Thus we reach last year's game which has become the kind of experience that the previous games in some ways were attempting to be, but didn't pull off. The world is varied enough, there's some interesting story points present without being too wild, and it has the kind of exploration that fits in with the storybook presentation they've always been keen on. While I think the non-boss battles do feel like a relic of a genre that the game seemingly isn't even in anymore, the overall package is a good one. Its the first time since SPM that I can say a Paper Mario game is succeeding at what its going for, even if its not necessarily the kind of game I'm interested in in comparison to Thousand Year Door or even something like Bug Fables.

tl:dr: Mario RPG was the lightning in a bottle from two companies a the exact right moment to make it while Origami King is the result of many failed experiments and gradual shift by one company to get its story based Mario titles in a form it preferred.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
this looks great!

but where's Mallow?
i forgot to mention something the best Mallow 3d model i have ever seen so far is this as it is identical to the original design

its used for 3D printing however i can convert the stl file to blender file so i could really make good renders out of him
but the file is not free if someone will buy it and send it to me i could make HD render for Mallow

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Origami King I feel is a lot better then the past 2 Paper Mario games, both in a writing and gameplay perspective, but there are some hurdles that an old styled Mario RPG will have to overcome just from a company standpoint. Intsys isn't bad at writing and can actually be fairly creative, they made the Fire Emblem and Warioware games after all, but Miyamoto in particular doesn't seem to get story in videogames, and he has a ton of influence, especially on Mario related properties, which to me feels like the biggest hurdle for a new Mario RPG. Origami King managed to tell a good story with all the restrictions placed on the team, which to me shows they're getting better at working on it, but still, I think it's gonna be a long time before we get something like the Old School Mario RPGs again.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
More SMRPG concept art has been released by the legend himself
There is so much to analyze
I can't read Japanese, but from the looks of this, Smithy was originally a genie? It looks like Knife Guy and Grate Guy were originally tied to Mack the Knife (or a boss fight before him, like Jonathan Jones), while Bowser might have been a mini-boss before the Axem Rangers? Valentina might have been tied to Bowyer, of all people.

Interesting to see older designs for Croco, Belome, Jinx, and Booster towards the middle of the full image.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
It hurts, brother.
Indeed. While I appreciate the thought, it does burn just a little that Sakurai would bother making a gesture that says, "Yes, I know you Geno fans are out there, but nods are all I can give you now."

I know it's the long shot of all long shots, but if Geno ended up as the last DLC fighter as a means to sell the Mii costume and fake everyone out, I would totally lose my mind. So many emotions. Immense joy and gratitude mixed with a huge helping of WTF.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT
THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET A NEW OFFICAL GENO TOY
PLEASE GO VOTE FOR GENO AND LET PEOPLE KNOW THIS

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT

I Voted!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT

Just voted! It would honestly be surreal to get Geno and Mario RPG merchandise in the year 2021, and it'd be extremely fitting considering it is the game's 25th anniversary this year. So, here's to hoping!
With that said though, if this comes in to fruition, all I can really say is that GoodSmile does what Square and Nintendon't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When the face of the Geno Mii is such crap that you only ever show it from behind 😂
Can't be helped, Miis look terrible and at this point I think it must just be a matter of principle. My wife complains all the time about how the 3DS Mii Plaza DLC games had cute Mii people that fit the style but looked good, and yet the built-in Mii faces that are STILL used even for stuff like the Miitopia port are these ugly caricatures.

I was just glad to see them mostly ditched after the Wii U.

Firox

Smash Master
Can't be helped, Miis look terrible and at this point I think it must just be a matter of principle. My wife complains all the time about how the 3DS Mii Plaza DLC games had cute Mii people that fit the style but looked good, and yet the built-in Mii faces that are STILL used even for stuff like the Miitopia port are these ugly caricatures.

I was just glad to see them mostly ditched after the Wii U.
Meanwhile, you've got the XBOX avatars that have a lot more detail and aesthetics to them. Sometimes I really can't get over how lazy Nintendo is with their crap. Another example: I'm STILL waiting for at least one more color to be added to the Switch Menu UI after what? FOUR YEARS? I mean, 3DS had countless background colors and wallpapers yet Switch still has nothing but black and white. C'mon, people, we can't be bothered to patch in at least blue and red? That's a whole 30 seconds of programming. Wouldn't want to put yourselves out at all.

D

Deleted member

Meanwhile, you've got the XBOX avatars that have a lot more detail and aesthetics to them. Sometimes I really can't get over how lazy Nintendo is with their crap. Another example: I'm STILL waiting for at least one more color to be added to the Switch Menu UI after what? FOUR YEARS? I mean, 3DS had countless background colors and wallpapers yet Switch still has nothing but black and white. C'mon, people, we can't be bothered to patch in at least blue and red? That's a whole 30 seconds of programming. Wouldn't want to put yourselves out at all.
Took them forever to add the menu colors to the 3DS, for what it's worth. And they had the audacity to charge people for premade themes and not let the user just make their own? Nintendo's a real nightmare sometimes.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Took them forever to add the menu colors to the 3DS, for what it's worth. And they had the audacity to charge people for premade themes and not let the user just make their own? Nintendo's a real nightmare sometimes.
what do you mean "make their own"?

why would that be a feature?

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah. Their whole mentality towards the Switch feels like:

Accounting: "Sir, the Switch is selling like hotcakes! We can't meet demand!"

Nintendo Management: "We got 'em, boys! Halt all support! No need to fix or add anything! Our job here is done."

Accounting: "But Sir, what about the online service? You know, the one the customers are paying for?"

Nintendo Management: "VACATIONS FOR EVERYONE!"

Accounting: "Shouldn't we at least make more Switches to meet demand?"

Nintendo Management: "Sure, yeah, whatever, I'm going to go swim in my pool of gold coins. No calls."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

what do you mean "make their own"?

why would that be a feature?
Because it isn't too much to ask to be able to use the SD card the system comes with to put a wallpaper on your home page? You know, like a phone? Or to do something like make the background white while the buttons are red? These have been basic functions of computers in general since the late 90s. Don't settle with less, demand more.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Because it isn't too much to ask to be able to use the SD card the system comes with to put a wallpaper on your home page? You know, like a phone? Or to do something like make the background white while the buttons are red? These have been basic functions of computers in general since the late 90s. Don't settle with less, demand more.
ohh, by "make your own" it sounded like you meant draw your own theme or something

I think I prefer the preset themes anyway, and I generally don't agree with a lot of the takes being thrown around here

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT

I’m not really a Geno fan, Geno isn’t even in my top 20 most wanted characters for Smash. But I made sure to put a vote for Geno in there anyway. With how massive Geno’s support has been, and the heartbreak of the Mii costume returning, you all absolutely deserve it. It’s pretty clear that Geno is more popular than Nintendo and Square think he is, and an official figure of Geno would be one of the best ways to prove how much Geno and Super Mario RPG truly means to people. Godspeed.

D

Deleted member

ohh, by "make your own" it sounded like you meant draw your own theme or something

I think I prefer the preset themes anyway, and I generally don't agree with a lot of the takes being thrown around here
You'll have to forgive me, I come from an era where you could get a GameBoy Color in one of like 10 crazy colors and an N64 in one of six. I guess customization and personalization is a lost concept nowadays where every phone is either black or white.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
You'll have to forgive me, I come from an era where you could get a GameBoy Color in one of like 10 crazy colors and an N64 in one of six. I guess customization and personalization is a lost concept nowadays where every phone is either black or white.
it's not a "lost concept", I like the preset themes because it allows them to be way more robust and cooler than just sticking an image in the background

and how is 10 gameboy colors personalized?

Firox

Smash Master
A lot of people these days are perfectly fine with mediocrity if it comes from a noteworthy source.

D

Deleted member

it's not a "lost concept", I like the preset themes because it allows them to be way more robust and cooler than just sticking an image in the background

and how is 10 gameboy colors personalized?
I just think it means a lot to be able to pick up a console, especially one that you're presumably going to be playing out in public, in a color that you actually like. It isn't "personal" in the sense that it's unique to you, but it's better than having to pick the black or the silver one because that's "sleek" or "modern" or "matches everything". I totally get why they ditched the whole "let's make this console in 14 colors" model, at least one color is gonna sit on shelves or be less popular overall, but it's just a shame in general. At least you can buy aftermarket shells on amazon and replace them yourself.

There's this goofy ad from Nintendo Power back in the day that I think really captures the essence of what I mean much better than I could ever actually put into words:
1615565903512.png

Top Bottom