• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know, now that I think of it...

Am I the only one who thinks Geno's design would be improved if they removed the orange parts of his hat?

I don't know why, but it's always bothered me. The strength of Geno's design is that it's cool yet simplistic but those orange things are just... there.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Am I the only one who thinks Geno's design would be improved if they removed the orange parts of his hat?

I don't know why, but it's always bothered me. The strength of Geno's design is that it's cool yet simplistic but those orange things are just... there.
I think the orange thing is one of the things that’s unique to Geno design like if you turn all Geno color to black you can still tell it’s Geno from the orange part

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

No, He's perfect just as he is. Having a bland beanie hat with no design would look lacking. Unless you mean the curls, which is meant to be hair, which would be even worse to remove.

Also, not sure if you guys noticed, but it's very likely Imran confirmed what we already kinda knew about CP11. Take it for what you will.

ZelDan

Smash Master

My only issue with the orange parts was that I mistook them for Geno's nose on his game sprite, and finding out they weren't his nose and what it his nose actually looked like rattled my young brain.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But then saying Geno is next also negates fans who have worked hard for their communities and earned them high rankings in the limited community polls. Isaac fans would certainly lay a similar claim and they've generally seen larger increases in populaity steadily without any dead periods until the Assist Trophy. And then you certainly would have fans of like Krystal that would argue they've been around since Brawl too even if her support has heavily waned since then. And so on. It's not a good way to really build ally ship with other communities TBH. And then as I've expressed before, I think we're officially at a point where an entire generation has passed since Brawl's limited speculation and there are fans who feel their voices aren't heard with newer requests and that they are unfairly pushed to the back simply because they haven't supported a character for a decade, and to be honest, that isn't really fair to ascribe a long-term fan over a newer one. There's no hierarchy of deserving, we're just fans supporting different characters at different times and hoping Nintendo takes some notice.
See this has always been my thing, it just always felt like to me that Geno fans were throwing other characters like Isaac and Krystal under the bus whenever they kept saying "Geno is the last of the Brawl requests!" or "Geno is the last of the holy trio/quartet!" or whatever.

Like in Krystal's case, despite the talk about how much her fanbase has heavily waned over the years, I recall her being decently popular during the Smash 4 era (prolly more popular than Geno was tbh) and that seemingly resulted in her getting the nod as a full blown assist trophy in Ultimate along with her spirit being a 4 star/Legend, and considering this is a character Nintendo has more or less tried to bury for the past 15 years, that's pretty notable in of itself.

tbh in hindsight I think something that really did hurt Krystal this game was the fact that she was one of the very first characters deconfirmed. Characters like Ashley, Shadow and Isaac had months to built up their support and fanbases before inevitably getting the axe in the August/November 2018 Directs, and Geno fans had years of built up before they got Mii'd again, two whole years after Ultimate's initial release. Krystal on the other hand was literally taken out of the running as soon as Ultimate had been announced, she wasn't really given a chance to build up her fanbase again unlike the other characters because she had been offed right away.

I imagine had they pulled an Isaac and saved her AT for the November Direct, she obviously wouldn't of been at Brawl levels of support (that would take a new Star Fox game with her in it again), but I think she could of accumulated a decent following in mid-to-late 2018 similar to what she had back in Smash 4. Especially in the wake of that other irrelevant Rare designed character actually getting into the game due to big fan demand, and as well as the then-ongoing rumors of Star Fox Grand Prix that seemed reliable at the time (RIP).

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
See this has always been my thing, it just always felt like to me that Geno fans were throwing other characters like Isaac and Krystal under the bus whenever they kept saying "Geno is the last of the Brawl requests!" or "Geno is the last of the holy trio/quartet!" or whatever.

Like in Krystal's case, despite the talk about how much her fanbase has heavily waned over the years, I recall her being decently popular during the Smash 4 era (prolly more popular than Geno was tbh) and that seemingly resulted in her getting the nod as a full blown assist trophy in Ultimate along with her spirit being a 4 star/Legend, and considering this is a character Nintendo has more or less tried to bury for the past 15 years, that's pretty notable in of itself.

tbh in hindsight I think something that really did hurt Krystal this game was the fact that she was one of the very first characters deconfirmed. Characters like Ashley, Shadow and Isaac had months to built up their support and fanbases before inevitably getting the axe in the August/November 2018 Directs, and Geno fans had years of built up before they got Mii'd again, two whole years after Ultimate's initial release. Krystal on the other hand was literally taken out of the running as soon as Ultimate had been announced, she wasn't really given a chance to build up her fanbase again unlike the other characters because she had been offed right away.

I imagine had they pulled an Isaac and saved her AT for the November Direct, she obviously wouldn't of been at Brawl levels of support (that would take a new Star Fox game with her in it again), but I think she could of accumulated a decent following in mid-to-late 2018 similar to what she had back in Smash 4. Especially in the wake of that other irrelevant Rare designed character actually getting into the game due to big fan demand, and as well as the then-ongoing rumors of Star Fox Grand Prix that seemed reliable at the time (RIP).
If it means anything I've always viewed Krystal, Lloyd and Issac as hard core Brawl picks. I feel like each of them would have eventually made their way in at some point too.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If it means anything I've always viewed Krystal, Lloyd and Issac as hard core Brawl picks. I feel like each of them would have eventually made their way in at some point too.
Dinoman96 Dinoman96 too

This isn't something I ever felt because other than Geno, Isaac and Ridley and K. Rool I never saw many requests until after Brawl, in which the floor opened up. I'm not saying they weren't there, just that while I remember all the discourse after Snake's reveal I just don't remember much on top of being in high school at the time.

If I'm honest, most big Smash speculators have called it that way for a while, and that's how I remembered Brawl speculation and desire: Ridley, K. Rool and Geno being the really big ones and then others like Lloyd, Isaac and Krystal were a thing. Thus, people need to remember that when a Geno fan says 'Geno is part of the trifecta' they are not only going off of their memory, but the memory of people who aren't even Geno fans.

We aren't arrogant, it's just what we remember, and apparently everyone else remembers the same.

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
No, He's perfect just as he is. Having a bland beanie hat with no design would look lacking. Unless you mean the curls, which is meant to be hair, which would be even worse to remove.

Also, not sure if you guys noticed, but it's very likely Imran confirmed what we already kinda knew about CP11. Take it for what you will.
What did Imran say?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I remember the Elite 4 from Smash 4 speculation. K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac and Mega Man. Mewtwo as the Champion. Palutena joined them once Mega Man was added. I remember Geno being its own thing. Not in an outer category of any sorts, just a semi-reclusive fanbase doing its own thing and doing it well, considering Geno had been in the common speculator’s mind for another era and a poll favorite during that time. Now, I don’t know anything about Brawl era speculation and I certainly don’t know all the lists and VIP groups of characters people made, but I always remember that the Elite 4, their Champion and their rookie replacement all made it in. I wish Geno would join them, I really do, but Geno is not the litmus test of respect given towards the hardcore fanbase or a bright beacon towards a future where fan requests are heard instead of ignored for baeblade bimbos. To treat him as the last straggler, a symbol of the common speculator struggle, that the powers that be are simply too stubborn to add is disingenuous not only to the fanbases that can make a claim to being this macguffin fandom darling, ballot buster, Brawl-era emissary and what not, but also to the efforts made now and in the past to listen to fans.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
DON'T

It was a sex joke that has nothing to do with Smash.

I don't want to have to explain what a "bottom" is.
More like it seems like just a joke, but could easily be more than that, and the fact that he locked replies is a big factor.

What did Imran say?
So what he said is that 'Chief is a bottom' randomly and without any real reason. Everyone is writing it off as a joke, something something Arbiter bosses him around so he's a bottom or something like that.

However, he locked replies to the tweet. People are trying to excuse this by saying 'Well, that's because he didn't want to be attacked by rabid Smash fans' but this doesn't hold up because he has had discussions with them before and didn't lock replies, nor had he locked replies for any of his other recent tweets.

Things that make this less of a random unprovoked joke:

1. Imran locking his replies is not something he regularly does, and one of the few times he has was when he leaked Min Min.
  2. This tweet happened just two days ago on Aug 30th. This is interesting because everyone is expecting a Direct this month and the CP11 to be there.
  3. This is after everyone came out of the woodwork to say that Chief was in. It's been longer enough that we have weeded out those we cannot trust, and among those we do, the consensus is that Chief is CP11. This is coming from multiple places who clearly wouldn't have the same source.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
More like it seems like just a joke, but could easily be more than that, and the fact that he locked replies is a big factor.

So what he said is that 'Chief is a bottom' randomly and without any real reason. Everyone is writing it off as a joke, something something Arbiter bosses him around so he's a bottom or something like that.

However, he locked replies to the tweet. People are trying to excuse this by saying 'Well, that's because he didn't want to be attacked by rabid Smash fans' but this doesn't hold up because he has had discussions with them before and didn't lock replies, nor had he locked replies for any of his other recent tweets.

Things that make this less of a random unprovoked joke:

1. Imran locking his replies is not something he regularly does, and one of the few times he has was when he leaked Min Min.
  2. This tweet happened just two days ago on Aug 30th. This is interesting because everyone is expecting a Direct this month and the CP11 to be there.
  3. This is after everyone came out of the woodwork to say that Chief was in. It's been longer enough that we have weeded out those we cannot trust, and among those we do, the consensus is that Chief is CP11. This is coming from multiple places who clearly wouldn't have the same source.
I really hope it isn’t chief…

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I wouldn't mind Chief. Not because I want him but mostly because at least it wouldn't end smash ultimate off on a massively disappointing note which is all I can hope for at this point. I know they won't add a single character I actually care about so I'd rather it just be a character I'm neutral on.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I wouldn't mind Chief. Not because I want him but mostly because at least it wouldn't end smash ultimate off on a massively disappointing note which is all I can hope for at this point. I know they won't add a single character I actually care about so I'd rather it just be a character I'm neutral on.
This would be absolutely disappointing!

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
You know the Smash devs aren't actively out to get specifically you. I used to think there's no way a character would get in that would please me after the Terry reveal and then I took some time to reflect on the fact that there are still characters from games I do like (Incineroar, Shulk, Game & Watch) and just because I can't be in the DLC newcomer hype club doesn't mean I can't appreciate the characters I do like. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought the game.

And once I fully embraced that more optimistic mindset, it's like magic happened and one of my most wanted characters got into the game, Steve! You've gotta like someone from the Smash roster, right?

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
You've gotta like someone from the Smash roster, right?
I know this comment wasn’t directed at me, but I felt the need to say something about this.

There are characters I like on the roster (Pokemon and Yoshi) but for some reason, I just can’t get into playing the game with those characters. I just end up getting depressed about my most wanted (Waluigi) being snubbed this smash.

You see, I only really play Pokemon and Mario kart, sometimes I play a different game every once in awhile but I am mainly fixated on Mario kart, Waluigi and Pokemon. I have tried time and time again to get into smash but I can’t because Waluigi is not playable. I guess you could say I have an obsession with the character.

It’s not anyone’s fault, I know the devs can’t please everyone, but honestly I might be done with smash. I can’t do anything about it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know this comment wasn’t directed at me, but I felt the need to say something about this.

There are characters I like on the roster (Pokemon and Yoshi) but for some reason, I just can’t get into playing the game with those characters. I just end up getting depressed about my most wanted (Waluigi) being snubbed this smash.

You see, I only really play Pokemon and Mario kart, sometimes I play a different game every once in awhile but I am mainly fixated on Mario kart, Waluigi and Pokemon. I have tried time and time again to get into smash but I can’t because Waluigi is not playable. I guess you could say I have an obsession with the character.

It’s not anyone’s fault, I know the devs can’t please everyone, but honestly I might be done with smash. I can’t do anything about it.
Honestly. That's a mature take. You're expressing disappointment without attacking or insulting anyone or anything.

Although I would recommend trying some different games. I know some that are free to try, so there's no risk. You interested?

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

If it helps for me to empathize with you, I always feel miffed that SMT (my #1 most wanted new franchise) is going to be in the shadow of its spin-off Persona and now even if it did get in, it would get **** on for being either a blatant shill or a literal who despite the series having tons of legacy and influence. So... I can see how it can be aggrevating that there have been two Mario characters and one of them was a potted plant.

So my best bet really is to give love to the character you can. Joker has a purple alt referencing the classic games so I use that alt. It's- not the same thing but both Mario and Luigi have the wah alt. Idk that's what I got. And I guess if you just want Waluigi, there will always be the heaps of Mario sports/party games with him in it.

💜 Best of love for fighter 11 as well, you never know what fan rule might be broken next!

Edit: Also wtf this is the Geno thread, we should probably move any Wah talk there. I haven't seen Geno discussion over Ult bashing in a hot minute here.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
You know the Smash devs aren't actively out to get specifically you. I used to think there's no way a character would get in that would please me after the Terry reveal and then I took some time to reflect on the fact that there are still characters from games I do like (Incineroar, Shulk, Game & Watch) and just because I can't be in the DLC newcomer hype club doesn't mean I can't appreciate the characters I do like. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought the game.

And once I fully embraced that more optimistic mindset, it's like magic happened and one of my most wanted characters got into the game, Steve! You've gotta like someone from the Smash roster, right?
I know the devs aren't specifically trying to appeal to me or make the pass as disappointing as possible. I still appreciate everything ultimate has done that I do like. However that doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed with the way dlc has headed. I still like smash ultimate but this specific pass has been really really lackluster to me. I mean you even said yourself that you got one of your most wanted characters in this pass. Meanwhile my most wanted character for the last ten years was deconfirmed for the second time this pass. There's obviously a very big difference in perspective there. I still like smash ultimate but it's hard to really care for any of the dlc if none of them are characters I care about. I haven't been hype about a character rereveal since banjo and that was 2 years ago. I'd like at least 1 character I care about after losing my most wanted character for the second time in a row.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I guess? But hype doesn't have to be eternal. I'm still playing the game this day focusing on learning the different characters I like. If Smash to you is just waiting for one specific particular character with no exceptions, maybe this isn't the game for you. I've been waiting not just for Geno in Smash but for Mario RPGs to return to their former glory. SMRPG is dead, Mario & Luigi is in limbo with their original devs going bankrupt and Paper Mario has completely disassociated itself from the RPG genre.

I've been waiting a long time for something good to happen but we are all powerless to change that. The sooner we accept what we cannot change, the sooner we can be at peace and band together to change what can.

You know, Nintendo's been reviving franchises lately like Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars ALL via remake. I'm sure Operational Starfall has been doing their damn hardest so let's hope a certain SNES classic gets a SNES Online port or even better, a full on remake.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I guess? But hype doesn't have to be eternal. I'm still playing the game this day focusing on learning the different characters I like. If Smash to you is just waiting for one specific particular character with no exceptions, maybe this isn't the game for you. I've been waiting not just for Geno in Smash but for Mario RPGs to return to their former glory. SMRPG is dead, Mario & Luigi is in limbo with their original devs going bankrupt and Paper Mario has completely disassociated itself from the RPG genre.

I've been waiting a long time for something good to happen but we are all powerless to change that. The sooner we accept what we cannot change, the sooner we can be at peace and band together to change what can.

You know, Nintendo's been reviving franchises lately like Famicom Detective Club and Advance Wars ALL via remake. I'm sure Operational Starfall has been doing their damn hardest so let's hope a certain SNES classic gets a SNES Online port or even better, a full on remake.
Dude I've been playing smash for years now. This game is absolutely for me. It's just that after over 1,500 hours of playing your gonna get burnt out and want something to bring you back. Unfortunately none of the new characters have done that so I haven't really played that much as of late. Not because I hate smash or need to be hyped by the dlc but because I don't care about these characters and don't want to spend $8.00 on fighters I don't even know if I'll like.

I also have been waiting for the mario rpgs to come back which is one of the biggest reason I wanted geno In smash.

All I'm saying is that I don't like the second fighters pass and just wish that I could enjoy it because I like this game.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Dinoman96 Dinoman96 too

This isn't something I ever felt because other than Geno, Isaac and Ridley and K. Rool I never saw many requests until after Brawl, in which the floor opened up. I'm not saying they weren't there, just that while I remember all the discourse after Snake's reveal I just don't remember much on top of being in high school at the time.

If I'm honest, most big Smash speculators have called it that way for a while, and that's how I remembered Brawl speculation and desire: Ridley, K. Rool and Geno being the really big ones and then others like Lloyd, Isaac and Krystal were a thing. Thus, people need to remember that when a Geno fan says 'Geno is part of the trifecta' they are not only going off of their memory, but the memory of people who aren't even Geno fans.

We aren't arrogant, it's just what we remember, and apparently everyone else remembers the same.
But K. Rool wasn't really a huge focus in Brawl, the spotlight was all on Diddy and K. Rool didn't really emerge until much later in the game and he didn't have the whole being shafted in Returns along with all the Kremlings going for him. I think trying to push K. Rool into a Brawl classic request is absolutely rewriting a fair amount of history and then inventing the trio that you do here as well. It's not what everyone remembers and I think it's also worth taking into account how Smash speculation was still in its infancy and hadn't coalesced into one place, so there's also going to be some different memories of that time and it was much more of a wild west before things really settled down in Smash 4. Brawl's speculation was in the infancy of YouTube for crying out loud, so I think it's speculation by nature is harder to pin down and draw concrete conclusions from (I do think Geno was absolutely a popular pick in Brawl for a bit, but I'm just commenting on the nature of Brawl's speculation as a whole).

Handy Man

Smash Ace

I can relate to this in a way, except my character was King K. Rool instead of Waluigi. I never really had a dedicated main in Smash until Ultinate, and I wanted King K. Rool in Smash for over a decade. To this day, I still can’t get over the fact that my most wanted character finally joined in Ultimate. Having a character you really care about becoming playable does make a huge difference. This is also why I never “not want a character” in Smash, as any character that gets added can be wish fulfillment for someone else. I feel like I got incredibly lucky, and I always feel bad for people who were asking for characters that weren’t Ridley, King K. Rool, or Banjo. King K. Rool being added gave Smash Ultimate a ton of life for me, as I enter tournanents every week as a solo King K. Rool main. I hope Waluigi fans can get their character in Smash, Nintendo would be pretty tonedeaf to ignore him at this point.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I made a post about this a while back in late 2019

On Smashboards, Krystal absolutely was one of the top characters during the Brawl era, standing alongside the likes of Geno, Ridley, Mega Man, Sonic, etc.

Going into Smash 4, both Krystal and especially Geno had dropped off considerably, but the former still had a decent amount of activity with over 300 pages (whereas Geno's original Smash 4 thread couldn't even crack 100). K. Rool and Ridley were the two big characters here. Fun fact: Ridley’s thread was actually closed in October 2014, when he got hard deconfirmed in the 50 Facts Smash Direct, and yet he still has by far the most pages of any Smash 4 candidate. Even K. Rool, who pretty much took over duties for Smash 4 DLC, doesn't have as many pages.

Firox

Smash Master
lol I really hope it is. Sorry, but Chief is literally one of the very few characters left that I would be legit jumping out of my chair, squealing like a little girl, excited over. He'd be right up there with Steve and Seph as an insanely hype left field, not to mention the roster is in DIRE need of another gunner-type character (really wish that were Geno, but se la vie).

D

Deleted member

lol I really hope it is. Sorry, but Chief is literally one of the very few characters left that I would be legit jumping out of my chair, squealing like a little girl, excited over. He'd be right up there with Steve and Seph as an insanely hype left field, not to mention the roster is in DIRE need of another gunner-type character (really wish that were Geno, but se la vie).
Can't say I agree. Chief or Sora would be the nail in the coffin for me, I actually don't think I could continue playing Ultimate with either of them on the roster. I don't even hate Halo (anymore), but gaming as a whole took a negative turn thanks to Halo and the dudebro Xbox Live crowd. It sure is gaming history, but that **** is not the kind of history Smash needs to celebrate.

My solace is that the soothsayers were dead wrong (and I was spot on), and Master Chief Collection is coming nowhere near the Switch as we quickly approach the normal time of year for the fall direct. As long as that rumor doesn't come true, I'm 100% certain Chief will never make it in. I have a rich history of ****posting, but I unironically am holding onto hope for Geno and will all the way up until Sakurai signs off and blasts off into space, so there's where I'm at for CP 11.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No, it really isn´t. It's more "I want to trigger Master Chief fans, but I don´t want my notifications blown up to much".. Just look how overprotective the Halo fans have been when people critic of not delaying the game. Every word he says isn´t something smash-related.

D

Deleted member

No, it really isn´t. It's more "I want to trigger Master Chief fans, but I don´t want my notifications blown up to much".. Just look how overprotective the Halo fans have been when people critic of not delaying the game. Every word he says isn´t something smash-related.
A.D. 2021. People still believe that Imran Khan leaks Smash information through vague twitter posts.

Mankind continues to regress.

Firox

Smash Master
Can't say I agree. Chief or Sora would be the nail in the coffin for me, I actually don't think I could continue playing Ultimate with either of them on the roster. I don't even hate Halo (anymore), but gaming as a whole took a negative turn thanks to Halo and the dudebro Xbox Live crowd. It sure is gaming history, but that **** is not the kind of history Smash needs to celebrate.

My solace is that the soothsayers were dead wrong (and I was spot on), and Master Chief Collection is coming nowhere near the Switch as we quickly approach the normal time of year for the fall direct. As long as that rumor doesn't come true, I'm 100% certain Chief will never make it in. I have a rich history of ****posting, but I unironically am holding onto hope for Geno and will all the way up until Sakurai signs off and blasts off into space, so there's where I'm at for CP 11.
I always find it amusing how different and polarized tastes are among Smash fans. I'd be hyped for Chief while people like you say that would be the last straw. Meanwhile, you've got people slobbering over Waluigi or Phoenix Wright while either of those would be a last straw for me. I suppose if anything can be said in Sakurai/Nintendo's defense, it's that the Smash fanbase really can't be appeased. Maybe that's why they haven't really been listening to us for the DLC.

As for Geno, I still contend that his addition in spite of his apparent death would be the single greatest and most epic come-from-behind underdog story in the history of Smash fandom. Granted, there would be enough salt to create a second moon, but it would be epic nonetheless. Sadly, my hopes are not very high in that regard. Nintendo has been almost exclusively self-serving for the DLC. Why would they break the trend now?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
When it comes to Chief, I don´t think it is him for a simple reason. We have only one character left. What do I mean by that? Well, this is Nintendo we are talking about, and Nintendo's prime target has always, and will always be their Japanese market, and Master Chief isn´t exactly something that the Japanese market would be hyped towards. His expiration date in my book was E3, where they announced Kazuya... a character from a franchise that is popular in Japan. There is a reason why people call Hero and Banjos double announcement a 1 for the west and 1 for the east.

Firox

Smash Master
When it comes to Chief, I don´t think it is him for a simple reason. We have only one character left. What do I mean by that? Well, this is Nintendo we are talking about, and Nintendo's prime target has always, and will always be their Japanese market, and Master Chief isn´t exactly something that the Japanese market would be hyped towards. His expiration date in my book was E3, where they announced Kazuya... a character from a franchise that is popular in Japan. There is a reason why people call Hero and Banjos double announcement a 1 for the west and 1 for the east.
While I certainly agree that Nintendo likes to play favorites with their Japanese base, I'd argue that B-K and Terry are some prime examples of a willingness to reach elsewhere. That said, let's looks at the fanbases being appeased so far with this pass:

1) Min Min: This one is tough to place. I'm not really aware of a geographically based fandom for her. To be honest, I never really felt like her fandom was even very notable prior to the announcement of an ARMS character. This just feels like Nintendo trying to shill one of their own franchises, so I'm not sure she really counts one way or another in this argument.

2) Steve: Fairly universal, but I feel he's a bigger western icon than a Japanese one. According to "Minecraft Statics 2021" (my work computer won't let me post the link), North America has the most active player base with 21.21% of the world and a 40% share of worldwide sales. Pretty safe to say that Steve is not an example of Japanese pandering.

3) Sephiroth: Again, fairly universal with a huge following in both the east and west, though his origin as a JRPG character I suppose could put him in the Japanese fandom camp.

4) Pythra: Pretty much the exact same as Seph. No real geographical concentration, but does hail from a JRPG, though I would argue that Xenoblade isn't quite as heavily specific to the Japanese fanbase, so I'm going to throw her in neutral with Min Min.

5) Kazuya: This guy is straight-up Japanese, both literally and figuratively.

Which leaves us with the last character...honestly, this could be anything. Nintendo could seriously go in any direction they want. They could go out on a pathetic first party shill, they could surprise us with a western icon, they could go for middle-of-the-road appeal, the possibilities are literally everything or nothing at all. God tier or utter fecal matter. There's no way to know, so I'm not sure Chief can simply be written off as "not Japanese enough". Granted, I honestly don't think he's very likely, but when as my opinion ever matter when it came to Smash inclusions. When has ANYONE'S opinion mattered in the end. Sakurai/Nintendo have their own agenda and none of us will know what it is until they reveal it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
While I certainly agree that Nintendo likes to play favorites with their Japanese base, I'd argue that B-K and Terry are some prime examples of a willingness to reach elsewhere. That said, let's looks at the fanbases being appeased so far with this pass:

1) Min Min: This one is tough to place. I'm not really aware of a geographically based fandom for her. To be honest, I never really felt like her fandom was even very notable prior to the announcement of an ARMS character. This just feels like Nintendo trying to shill one of their own franchises, so I'm not sure she really counts one way or another in this argument.

2) Steve: Fairly universal, but I feel he's a bigger western icon than a Japanese one. According to "Minecraft Statics 2021" (my work computer won't let me post the link), North America has the most active player base with 21.21% of the world and a 40% share of worldwide sales. Pretty safe to say that Steve is not an example of Japanese pandering.

3) Sephiroth: Again, fairly universal with a huge following in both the east and west, though his origin as a JRPG character I suppose could put him in the Japanese fandom camp.

4) Pythra: Pretty much the exact same as Seph. No real geographical concentration, but does hail from a JRPG, though I would argue that Xenoblade isn't quite as heavily specific to the Japanese fanbase, so I'm going to throw her in neutral with Min Min.

Which leaves us with the last character...honestly, this could be anything. Nintendo could seriously go in any direction they want. They could go out on a pathetic first party shill, they could surprise us with a western icon, they could go for middle-of-the-road appeal, the possibilities are literally everything or nothing at all. God tier or utter fecal matter. There's no way to know, so I'm not sure Chief can simply be written off as "not Japanese enough". Granted, I honestly don't think he's very likely, but when as my opinion ever matter when it came to Smash inclusions. When has ANYONE'S opinion mattered in the end. Sakurai/Nintendo have their own agenda and none of us will know what it is until they reveal it.
When it comes to BK, he was announced with Hero, and Terry is most likely a bone thrown to Sakurai.

Arms -the biggest player base is Japan.
North America might be the biggest player base for Minecraft.. but it's a universally loved IP and it has sold a jackton of copies in Japan

When it comes to Sepiroth, its fairly known that Japan eats up everything that is Cloud vs Sepiroth...

P&M - Funny enough... guess what country that the sales for XBC2 spiked like crazy after their reveal? That´s right, Japan.

So with that said... I can´t see Master Chief happen because Japan could care less about Halo. That's the same reason why I feel that Crash is dead right now.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
When it comes to BK, he was announced with Hero, and Terry is most likely a bone thrown to Sakurai.

Arms -the biggest player base is Japan.
North America might be the biggest player base for Minecraft.. but it's a universally loved IP and it has sold a jackton of copies in Japan

When it comes to Sepiroth, its fairly known that Japan eats up everything that is Cloud vs Sepiroth...

P&M - Funny enough... guess what country that the sales for XBC2 spiked like crazy after their reveal? That´s right, Japan.

So with that said... I can´t see Master Chief happen because Japan could care less about Halo. That's the same reason why I feel that Crash is dead right now.
So, in terms of likelyhood who do you think is the final character?

D

Deleted member

(my work computer won't let me post the link)
Smashposting on the clock gang rise up

They try to strike a balance, which is the kind of thing I appreciate. Not to exhume the smelly corpse of the ballot debate of a page or two ago, but they did try to blame Bayonetta on Europe (historically the red-headed step child of Nintendo's marketing) so at the very least they'll pretend that they even include those guys in the selection process.

As far as FP2 is concerned, I don't think they're really going for a whole "east/west" deal, and I sort of feel like that was only coincidental in FP1. I would actually argue that Smash has historically tried to pander to the west, given how many times Sakurai has commented on trying to keep Japan exclusive characters out or minimized (like the internet doesn't exist...), and I really do think that as a result of gaming being as mainstream as it is, the playbook they're going by is to go with the most well-known characters possible. Fitting in with the "rule" that Nintendo always shows off the best early, I argue that the first pass ending with Terry and Byleth and the second pass ending with Kazuya and [whoever], it's not that the characters aren't as exciting this time around, but that they won't be as well known.

My inner patternfriend wants to say it'll be a first party Nintendo character, making the pass a 3/3 first party/third party mix which is why I've been giving Waluigi the unfortunate time of day, but we all know patterns are bull**** and we're looking at a true mystery.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
My inner patternfriend wants to say it'll be a first party Nintendo character, making the pass a 3/3 first party/third party mix which is why I've been giving Waluigi the unfortunate time of day, but we all know patterns are bull**** and we're looking at a true mystery.
Let's be real here: if the last character is first party, it is 97% likely going to be a Sword/Shield Pokemon lol

Top Bottom