• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All things considered, one of the big trends people seem to gloss over is that every character in Smash Bros Ultimate has had at least one appearance on a Nintendo Console before being included. Even Cloud back during Smash 4 had something via a few 3DS games (peep Maximilian's reaction).
Joker didn't. The 3DS game was not even why he got in. It's more that they wanted Joker in and they wanted to get more in good with Atlus so also published a spin-off game. It just barely released before Smash Ultimate, but quite clearly wasn't going to affect him getting in, since negotiations would've started way before it's release. If the game got delayed? Joker would've come out anyway.

At most Nintendo wanted to do both at once to help capitalize on the business factor, but Joker didn't get in due to a Nintendo appearance in itself. He got in because of Persona 5, which was mostly definitely not coming to the Switch, as we can see in reality. Q2 has zero mention related to him, same with content. Likewise, SMT has nothing to do with Joker either, so there's pretty much zero Nintendo connection that got him in. As I said, at most Nintendo saw getting Joker as a way to get better stuff with Atlus, and it shows. The character is just a window of opportunity to tons of more games being easier to publish, including Q2.

This is why Sakurai notes it's a courtesy, not a rule. Clearly it can be bent as much as it needs to be.

Cloud definitely wouldn't count either way(for lacking a Nintendo appearance, I mean), since there was more than enough games before he could've been negotiated for. It's more the factor that pretty much every plausible candidate already has a Nintendo appearance(I wouldn't say a Nintendo connection, persay) anyway, so it's an irrelevant thing.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally I don’t see why Cloud’s or Joker’s Nintendo appearances matter if they’re small. Especially when the content and game being focused on aside from the character was mainly still not on a Nintendo system.

And when Sakurai said he might’ve had misgivings if Cloud hadn’t appeared on a Nintendo system, that doesn’t mean he would’ve said no if he didn’t. He still could’ve said yes, having doubts or apprehension about an outcome doesn’t mean you’re shut off from the possibility, and for all we know he may not care about that much anymore if they’re wanting to expand it to gaming in general instead of just Nintendo.

In that same interview, he even implies they wouldn’t limit themselves to just characters with Nintendo appearances.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think there's an entire thread for Master Chief speculation.

If some Halo game slithers its way onto the Switch between now and the reveal of fighter 11, then 11 is beyond the shadow of a doubt Master Chief. If not, I guarantee you that 11 will not be Master Chief.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So guys, I hate to say it, but I think it's time we back up our bags for our boi and aim for the next console...
IS WHAT I WOULD SAY IF I WAS SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN FORSAKENMEMORIES45!

So I'm going to share something with you guys, and I'm not sure how you guys will take it, but I'll let you guys know how I see things. I'll be sharing this here because the Newcomer Thread is what it is and while I have no issues with a good conversation or debate, that's not what would take place if I shared this there.

First off, as far as I'm concerned, speculation for FP2 is over. You may see others talking about who CP11 might be, but I see these as somewhat foolish people...in the sense that they aren't learning from the past.

Why do I say this?

Welp, I'm not sure when it happened, but before the Direct rumors surfaced that Chief was coming to Ultimate. Some people were saying that he was CP10, and people were 100% that he was gonna be announced, the biggest player that matters being Vergeben. Of course that didn't happen, we got Kazuya, and now everyone has written off Vergeben as an idiot and out of the leak game...and this is where I call people like this foolish, or rather that I don't think they are being wise and are repeating history.

If'n you guys recall, Vergeben leaked nearly the entire roster of the base game with information given to him by other insiders who didn't want to spoil the fun or cost people jobs...but Vergeben shared something in common with the honey badger. The only things he didn't give us were King K. Rool and he said Isabelle was an echo which, in hindsight, is very understandable. I remember when everyone was sold on Grinch Ruse when he said Incineroar and that Grinch was fake and for some god-forsaken reason, everyone ditched him and bashed him and believed some shifty image that pro photoshoppers and artists said was fake that said like seven or more characters a couple months before the game's release. I didn't of course, because logic would suggest that Vergeben clearly had the information to know better and the Grinch Ruse suggested something outlandish for the remaining time before the game went gold, forget release...but this isn't about arguing who was more logical during that time period.

I think you all may also recall that, shortly afterwards, Vergeben swore up and down that Minecraft content was coming to the game. It didn't happen, and we kinda chased Vergeben out of leaking Smash news. Suddenly Steve gets revealed in Oct 2020 and it turns out that Steve had been in some weird state of negotiation and design limbo since 2014 at least AND that we did in fact get an Ender Dragon spirit, thus making Vergeben correct in what he said years later. This brought him attention again, but I think most people just focused on newer leakers instead and let him do his thing.

Also, keep in mind that while he did say a Square rep would be the first DLC character and that was wrong, we DID get a Square character right after that, and while his claims to leaks for Banjo, Terry and Byleth are much less impressive in stature they do prove that he was able to obtain real sources of some sort down the line, probably sometime in 2018.

So, we now have had two situations in which Vergeben made a claim about Ultimate DLC content and was right about the content, but wrong about it's release date. Vergeben has also been rather quiet about Smash this Pass, and yet suddenly here he comes pushing Chief as CP10...which didn't happen. Interestingly enough, this is ANOTHER Microsoft rep just like Steve, which Vergeben leaked content for Minecraft in 2019.

I have other suspicions about this turn of events and am researching things and coming to my own conclusions, but this screams to me that Chief is CP11. I think it would be dumb for Vergeben to troll about this, and while he COULD be wrong his reputation suggests believing in him until proven otherwise. Chief also matches up with names that have been circulating for a while and makes sense as both a popular pick and a great way to Finish The Fight finish off this Pass, and this situation is just so much like past ones where he ended up right that I feel like we have to take notice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, where does that leave us Geno Bros? Well, I think we need to hope that the profitability of Smash sways the upper class of Nintendo enough to make something happen after this pass for our boy to have a chance. I really don't see it being anything more than a 50/50: either we get more Smash content and Geno is part of it, or we don't and we have to wait until the next system. I'm not down about it though, as I think we've got a better shot than most folks do.

As you all know, I'm a big advocate that the show isn't over until we get to that last presentation and Sakurai gives a closing statement that heavy-handedly lets us know that this is it until the next console pops up in about three of four years minimum. There are many reasons for this that I've stated over and over again so I won't repeat those, but I will give a brief history of how my view has changed with new information from Sakurai.
  • Pre-Min Min's Famitsu, I was 100% confident they would got ape on more DLC.

• After Min Min's Famitsu, I was a slight bit more skeptical, but still confident.

• With Steve's release and the sales of Pass 2, Steve individually, AND base Ultimate going off the charts, I won back my full confidence.

• When it was on record that Furukawa loved how well they did off of Smash's DLC sales and wanted to keep practicing DLC in the future, I was solid as steel in my conviction.

• When Sakurai stated in Pyra/Mythra's presentation that he only had two more opportunities for presentations like this, it weakened my resolve ever so slightly, but I was sure that meant either there was enough money to make bigger presentations like Joker's or that DLC would change to be more loose-leaf like Smash 4.

• When Sakurai released his most recent Famitsu in which he talked about younger game devs and talks of retirement and just decided to randomly include Smash and say that these last two characters are the last for Ultimate and that it be finalized soon, that absolutely shattered the expectations and my confidence in terms of DLC since I'm not about to say Sakurai is lying when he had no reason to go out of his way like that.
However, I just recently got a bit of a pick-me-up. Did you notice something odd about that E3 presentation?

When Sakurai showed up on screen, he took the time to mention that at the time of when he recorded that brief portion for the Direct, they hadn't recorded the presentation for Kazuya yet. This suggest some things to me.

We know Sakurai and his crew can break-neck pace quality content for Smash, proven with how Pass 1 very nearly (and likely was originally planned to) came out all in 2019. That's five characters, their stages, music, Classic Modes, Spirit Boards, and any additional features as well as balances adjustments. Sure, Smash is less complex than most other similar games, but that is still rather damn impressive. We also know that, almost in spite of the pandemic, Sakurai and his team have gotten us three characters in 2020 and we are nearing the last three all being revealed and released before the holidays.

Now we all know Sakurai and Co. were slowed down just a tad early in 2020 but adjusted rather quickly, then they moved back to the office, then back to work-from-home, and now it seems they are back to the workplace again. Even with this pandemic they have still shown that they could have gotten us four character in 2020 because don't forget how E3 was canned last year and that Min Min was originally an April release and Steve was on time, so you can't tell me that they always planned for no one to release between May and October.

We also know that Sakurai films the presentations on average a month in advance for editing and translation, though he has done it further out than that, but seemingly never less than. So when you only have two characters left for Ultimate, why wouldn't you have recorded the presentation already at this point? You could easily have both character fully ready, trailers and presentations and all. So, why don't you? Well, I see three scenarios here.
  1. The clip of Sakurai in the Direct was recorded well in advance and the presentation is actually already recorded by now, suggesting the clip was recorded minimum April/May.

2. Sakurai and his team hit some unforeseen snags and they were just heavily delayed in recording the presentation, maybe even pandemic related.

3. Sakurai and Co. are busy and juggling tasks, which could suggest they are working on something else at the same time.
Obviously this can be considered reaching, and I completely understand if anyone thinks it is, as I personally listed them in order of of what I find believable. I just figured this is something worth noting, and when adding it in with everything else, it's fun to speculate that something may mean more than what it seems at surface level.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 319867

Correcting people on the misconception that Joker was not available on a Nintendo console before his reveal is beginning to become tiresome.
That doesn't really change my point in any way.

Joker was not chosen after the game's release. We don't know if it has a single shred of influence. It's a coincidence right now, and there's no way to prove it's more than correlation. Joker is hard presented from the game of Persona 5. Q2 is completely ignored even with content, as literally all the content is specifically from the PlayStation games.

So there's literally zero good reason to believe it has anything to do with it. Sure, it's possible. But possible doesn't mean evidence. It doesn't matter when it released. It'd have mattered if it was a year before Joker was chosen, but he was chosen as far as a year back, while it was in development. So him "being on the system" was definitely not the factor you think it was. He wasn't on the system, he was going to be if and only if no development issues happened. Maybe that's part of why Sakurai said yes to the idea. ...Or maybe it just has no relation and he thought it was a cool character and since Atlus and Nintendo worked together in general before, wasn't hard to get.

This reminds me of my poor argument that SE was the only reason why Geno wasn't in Brawl. Possibly, but no correlation. So unless you have actual evidence that Q2 was related, like official statements, it's still a mystery. Now I'll be fair here. I should've said "there's zero evidence it was involved". I still write it off because I'm not going to believe it's related just cause it had slightly good timing. Joker could've been announced before the release.

Besides, people confuse what Nintendo connection means. It means they had a game already released before the character was chosen. This couldn't have been the case for Joker. He had no game on Smash before he was chosen regardless if it had some influence. He wasn't chosen because he had a Nintendo appearance whatsoever. That's impossible. Maybe due to having one soon, Sakurai was more okay with the idea(Nintendo would've done it anyway, since they also approved Q2. This doesn't say Nintendo connection so much as it says "we're getting a damn good business deal"). In addition, Sakurai is the one who talks about having a character already on the system, which has influenced how he chooses characters. If Q2 didn't release... do you honestly think for one second Joker would've been cancelled? Be real now. Cause that's the point of how "important' it is.

Shroob

Sup?
So guys, I hate to say it, but I think it's time we back up our bags for our boi and aim for the next console...

So I'm going to share something with you guys, and I'm not sure how you guys will take it, but I'll let you guys know how I see things. I'll be sharing this here because the Newcomer Thread is what it is and while I have no issues with a good conversation or debate, that's not what would take place if I shared this there.

First off, as far as I'm concerned, speculation for FP2 is over. You may see others talking about who CP11 might be, but I see these as somewhat foolish people...in the sense that they aren't learning from the past.

Why do I say this?

Welp, I'm not sure when it happened, but before the Direct rumors surfaced that Chief was coming to Ultimate. Some people were saying that he was CP10, and people were 100% that he was gonna be announced, the biggest player that matters being Vergeben. Of course that didn't happen, we got Kazuya, and now everyone has written off Vergeben as an idiot and out of the leak game...and this is where I call people like this foolish, or rather that I don't think they are being wise and are repeating history.

If'n you guys recall, Vergeben leaked nearly the entire roster of the base game with information given to him by other insiders who didn't want to spoil the fun or cost people jobs...but Vergeben shared something in common with the honey badger. The only things he didn't give us were King K. Rool and he said Isabelle was an echo which, in hindsight, is very understandable. I remember when everyone was sold on Grinch Ruse when he said Incineroar and that Grinch was fake and for some god-forsaken reason, everyone ditched him and bashed him and believed some shifty image that pro photoshoppers and artists said was fake that said like seven or more characters a couple months before the game's release. I didn't of course, because logic would suggest that Vergeben clearly had the information to know better and the Grinch Ruse suggested something outlandish for the remaining time before the game went gold, forget release...but this isn't about arguing who was more logical during that time period.

I think you all may also recall that, shortly afterwards, Vergeben swore up and down that Minecraft content was coming to the game. It didn't happen, and we kinda chased Vergeben out of leaking Smash news. Suddenly Steve gets revealed in Oct 2020 and it turns out that Steve had been in some weird state of negotiation and design limbo since 2014 at least AND that we did in fact get an Ender Dragon spirit, thus making Vergeben correct in what he said years later. This brought him attention again, but I think most people just focused on newer leakers instead and let him do his thing.

Also, keep in mind that while he did say a Square rep would be the first DLC character and that was wrong, we DID get a Square character right after that, and while his claims to leaks for Banjo, Terry and Byleth are much less impressive in stature they do prove that he was able to obtain real sources of some sort down the line, probably sometime in 2018.

So, we now have had two situations in which Vergeben made a claim about Ultimate DLC content and was right about the content, but wrong about it's release date. Vergeben has also been rather quiet about Smash this Pass, and yet suddenly here he comes pushing Chief as CP10...which didn't happen. Interestingly enough, this is ANOTHER Microsoft rep just like Steve, which Vergeben leaked content for Minecraft in 2019.

I have other suspicions about this turn of events and am researching things and coming to my own conclusions, but this screams to me that Chief is CP11. I think it would be dumb for Vergeben to troll about this, and while he COULD be wrong his reputation suggests believing in him until proven otherwise. Chief also matches up with names that have been circulating for a while and makes sense as both a popular pick and a great way to Finish The Fight finish off this Pass, and this situation is just so much like past ones where he ended up right that I feel like we have to take notice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, where does that leave us Geno Bros? Well, I think we need to hope that the profitability of Smash sways the upper class of Nintendo enough to make something happen after this pass for our boy to have a chance. I really don't see it being anything more than a 50/50: either we get more Smash content and Geno is part of it, or we don't and we have to wait until the next system. I'm not down about it though, as I think we've got a better shot than most folks do.

As you all know, I'm a big advocate that the show isn't over until we get to that last presentation and Sakurai gives a closing statement that heavy-handedly lets us know that this is it until the next console pops up in about three of four years minimum. There are many reasons for this that I've stated over and over again so I won't repeat those, but I will give a brief history of how my view has changed with new information from Sakurai.

• After Min Min's Famitsu, I was a slight bit more skeptical, but still confident.

• With Steve's release and the sales of Pass 2, Steve individually, AND base Ultimate going off the charts, I won back my full confidence.

• When it was on record that Furukawa loved how well they did off of Smash's DLC sales and wanted to keep practicing DLC in the future, I was solid as steel in my conviction.

• When Sakurai stated in Pyra/Mythra's presentation that he only had two more opportunities for presentations like this, it weakened my resolve ever so slightly, but I was sure that meant either there was enough money to make bigger presentations like Joker's or that DLC would change to be more loose-leaf like Smash 4.

• When Sakurai released his most recent Famitsu in which he talked about younger game devs and talks of retirement and just decided to randomly include Smash and say that these last two characters are the last for Ultimate and that it be finalized soon, that absolutely shattered the expectations and my confidence in terms of DLC since I'm not about to say Sakurai is lying when he had no reason to go out of his way like that.
However, I just recently got a bit of a pick-me-up. Did you notice something odd about that E3 presentation?

When Sakurai showed up on screen, he took the time to mention that at the time of when he recorded that brief portion for the Direct, they hadn't recorded the presentation for Kazuya yet. This suggest some things to me.

We know Sakurai and his crew can break-neck pace quality content for Smash, proven with how Pass 1 very nearly (and likely was originally planned to) came out all in 2019. That's five characters, their stages, music, Classic Modes, Spirit Boards, and any additional features as well as balances adjustments. Sure, Smash is less complex than most other similar games, but that is still rather damn impressive. We also know that, almost in spite of the pandemic, Sakurai and his team have gotten us three characters in 2020 and we are nearing the last three all being revealed and released before the holidays.

Now we all know Sakurai and Co. were slowed down just a tad early in 2020 but adjusted rather quickly, then they moved back to the office, then back to work-from-home, and now it seems they are back to the workplace again. Even with this pandemic they have still shown that they could have gotten us four character in 2020 because don't forget how E3 was canned last year and that Min Min was originally an April release and Steve was on time, so you can't tell me that they always planned for no one to release between May and October.

We also know that Sakurai films the presentations on average a month in advance for editing and translation, though he has done it further out than that, but seemingly never less than. So when you only have two characters left for Ultimate, why wouldn't you have recorded the presentation already at this point? You could easily have both character fully ready, trailers and presentations and all. So, why don't you? Well, I see three scenarios here.
  1. The clip of Sakurai in the Direct was recorded well in advance and the presentation is actually already recorded by now, suggesting the clip was recorded minimum April/May.

2. Sakurai and his team hit some unforeseen snags and they were just heavily delayed in recording the presentation, maybe even pandemic related.

3. Sakurai and Co. are busy and juggling tasks, which could suggest they are working on something else at the same time.
Obviously this can be considered reaching, and I completely understand if anyone thinks it is, as I personally listed them in order of of what I find believable. I just figured this is something worth noting, and when adding it in with everything else, it's fun to speculate that something may mean more than what it seems at surface level.
You realize that Vergeben wasn't the first person to say Master Chief, right? It was NWPlayer123.

Also, Vergeben was backing up the 4 Champions as coming as DLC, something you yourself said was "Stupid and not worth talking about", paraphrasing here.

Vergeben piggy backed off NWPlayer's leak and tossed in the 4 Champion leak on top of it all, he's not worth listening to anymore.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You realize that Vergeben wasn't the first person to say Master Chief, right? It was NWPlayer123.

Also, Vergeben was backing up the 4 Champions as coming as DLC, something you yourself said was "Stupid and not worth talking about", paraphrasing here.

Vergeben piggy backed off NWPlayer's leak and tossed in the 4 Champion leak on top of it all, he's not worth listening to anymore.
Which is sad too. He had a pretty decent track record for Ultimate, but he had to believe a bad leak. I can't expect him to do research on transformation characters, but with his track record of DLC only amounting to at most two characters(and not exactly at the right time), and maybe if Terry wasn't leaked by others(perhaps Verge knew it first, but he didn't say it first either way. He only said it before Sabi from what I remember), excluding Nintendo, it'd matter.

But yeah, he shot himself in the foot hard. We knew that TGA was odd with showing Joker, so that's a bit forgivable to a slight degree, and he obviously didn't know about Joker either. He won't be told all the time when someone releases, either, so him saying Hero was going to be first isn't the biggest deal in the world. It's not a matter of plans change so much as of a lack of information given to him. Otherwise, even he was misled on Star Fox Grand Prix... so that shouldn't affect his credibility. But the rest of the Direct, wellllllll.

I frankly see it as "well, maybe he's right" at some point when he leaks stuff, but that's the end of it. Verge's gone down way too far to be trustworthy as a source. Even for Smash.

Shroob

Sup?
Which is sad too. He had a pretty decent track record for Ultimate, but he had to believe a bad leak. I can't expect him to do research on transformation characters, but with his track record of DLC only amounting to at most two characters(and not exactly at the right time), and maybe if Terry wasn't leaked by others(perhaps Verge knew it first, but he didn't say it first either way. He only said it before Sabi from what I remember), excluding Nintendo, it'd matter.

But yeah, he shot himself in the foot hard. We knew that TGA was odd with showing Joker, so that's a bit forgivable to a slight degree, and he obviously didn't know about Joker either. He won't be told all the time when someone releases, either, so him saying Hero was going to be first isn't the biggest deal in the world. It's not a matter of plans change so much as of a lack of information given to him. Otherwise, even he was misled on Star Fox Grand Prix... so that shouldn't affect his credibility. But the rest of the Direct, wellllllll.

I frankly see it as "well, maybe he's right" at some point when he leaks stuff, but that's the end of it. Verge's gone down way too far to be trustworthy as a source. Even for Smash.
Verg's track record for DLC was always bad.

He got:

Hero
Minecraft
Byleth

That's it, and Byleth was, by his own admission "Because someone PM'd him 5 minutes before the presentation.", meaning that stunt in December he pulled where he kept de-confirming ****, he was doing without even knowing who CP5 was himself. Terry wasn't his, because Sabi leaked it first, which he admitted to, so in short, his DLC track record is terrible compared to his iron-strong base game one.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verg's track record for DLC was always bad.

He got:

Hero
Minecraft
Byleth

That's it, and Byleth was, by his own admission "Because someone PM'd him 5 minutes before the presentation." Terry wasn't his, because Sabi leaked it first, which he admitted to, so in short, his DLC track record is terrible compared to his iron-strong base game one.
Actually, he leaked Terry first. Not Sabi. I went over that timeline a lot of times before. But it means little when Nintendo effectively leaked it, so honestly nobody really should get credit for it at this point.

Even then, it's still a crap record. A bit, but too much wrong nowadays to take him seriously. And I say wrong, not just "didn't know about". He clearly didn't know about Joker, and after Byleth, got zero real information. Maybe Master Chief really is CP11 but I highly doubt his source was real either way. And as you said, he clearly piggybacked off another, so.

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, he leaked Terry first. Not Sabi. I went over that timeline a lot of times before. But it means little when Nintendo effectively leaked it, so honestly nobody really should get credit for it at this point.

Even then, it's still a crap record. A bit, but too much wrong nowadays to take him seriously. And I say wrong, not just "didn't know about". He clearly didn't know about Joker, and after Byleth, got zero real information. Maybe Master Chief really is CP11 but I highly doubt his source was real either way. And as you said, he clearly piggybacked off another, so.
Agreed.

Chief can still be 11, nothing saying he can't be, but it won't be because Vergeben leaked it as happening.

I don't know what crossed his mind to be MIA for a year and a half, only to come back and Frankenstein the 2 popular rumors at the time together.

Shroob

Sup?
Who the heck is NWplayer123?
They're the person who was the first to datamine Octolings back in Splatoon 1.

They deal in datamining, and while they "leak" stuff, it's more akin to "I found this in the code"

They're also a ResetEra user, so that's why ResetEra was losing their **** over Master Chief, because they're a member of that community. They posted a coded Tweet with 4 things, and people decoded 2 of them to be "Metroid V" and "Master Chief", the other 2 were never decoded afaik.

Honestly, this single post right here shot Vergeben square between the eyes. If he had just said Chief, he could have back-tracked and said "Oh, they'll be CP11"

But he quite literally started quoting "We are the Champions" by Queen, and broke it up into 4 lines. 4 Lines, We are the Champions? He was being called out as being a fraud in that post, and his response was to start quoting "We are the Champions", because I'm sure he was certain that the 4 Champs were coming, but.... yeah, they didn't. The fact that the line he chose to end on was "But I've come through" aged like milk.

He's done, 100% done.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
They're the person who was the first to datamine Octolings back in Splatoon 1.

They deal in datamining, and while they "leak" stuff, it's more akin to "I found this in the code"

They're also a ResetEra user, so that's why ResetEra was losing their **** over Master Chief, because they're a member of that community. They posted a coded Tweet with 4 things, and people decoded 2 of them to be "Metroid V" and "Master Chief", the other 2 were never decoded afaik.

Honestly, this single post right here shot Vergeben square between the eyes. If he had just said Chief, he could have back-tracked and said "Oh, they'll be CP11"

But he quite literally started quoting "We are the Champions" by Queen, and broke it up into 4 lines. 4 Lines, We are the Champions? He was being called out as being a fraud in that post, and his response was to start quoting "We are the Champions", because I'm sure he was certain that the 4 Champs were coming, but.... yeah, they didn't. The fact that the line he chose to end on was "But I've come through" aged like milk.

He's done, 100% done.
Yikes... just yikes....

ZelDan

Smash Master
This is the same guy who took like, 2 months to confirm the Pokemon rep was indeed Incineroar.

I'm not sure what happened to him lol.
Isn't there supposed to be multiple people behind the Vergeben account? I feel I've heard something like that before.

Perhaps someone...less experienced or knowledgeable to the helm?

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe Nintendo learned from their mistakes of the base game?
Oh no, I think considering Brush didn't leak anything about Nintendo, Nintendo's tightened their security like crazy.

I meant more like, Verg in general. He had been radio silent in regards to Smash for a year and a half basically, and then he comes in and clings to two popular rumors, without actually trying to check their validity, and it blows up in his face.

This is the same person who waited 2~months to double-triple-quadruple check that Incineroar was indeed Incineroar, and then he just does a hail mary like this? He blew what little credibility he had up in seconds.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Hmm...I fail to see where in my post that I said 'Vergeben said it first', I only see 'the biggest player being Vergeben' because of his history with the game.

Also, Vergeben is a known piggybacker, but he does get his own info occasionally. Also also, never forget that fiasco in which Sabi and he did nothing but say who wasn't CP5. Also also also, I actually can't find anything about him hinting for anything Zelda for Smash. The only thing he said on Reddit about Smash clearly was Master Chief. I looked through all his recent Reddit posts and found nothing of the sort, but if you found something feel free to share it.

EDIT: I see you have, and I have to say that there are a couple of ways to interpret that comment other than 'He said 4 Champions' like simply celebrating or making a joke, but I will say it would have been best he just not have posted it since the champions never had a chance. In spite of this, it's commonplace that leakers can leak things that are right and mix them with things that are wrong, and through it all he's done well enough that people should at least check it out whenever he mentions something, and with how oddly similar the entire situation is to the Minecraft one I have to say that I still toss this one into the 'Chief is 11' Box.

There are other things that I have found that makes me think Master Chief is officially CP11, and some of these things are a bigger deal than Vergeben as far as I'm concerned, and even some things that I bet other people think are damning that I find weak. Vergeben isn't my biggest reason, but this whole thing reeks of a History Repeat with a significant reduction in time before it occurs and I can't wait for it to happen only for people to act like they never doubted Vergeben.

Essentially, this sudden explosion around Chief is too much to be a coincidence, but I will say for those in the back who judge that of course it could just be wrong.

Shroob

Sup?
Hmm...I fail to see where in my post that I said 'Vergeben said it first', I only see 'the biggest player being Vergeben' because of his history with the game.

Also, Vergeben is a known piggybacker, but he does get his own info occasionally. Also also, never forget that fiasco in which Sabi and he did nothing but say who wasn't CP5. Also also also, I actually can't find anything about him hinting for anything Zelda for Smash. The only thing he said on Reddit about Smash clearly was Master Chief. I looked through all his recent Reddit posts and found nothing of the sort, but if you found something feel free to share it.

EDIT: I see you have, and I have to say that there are a couple of ways to interpret that comment other than 'He said 4 Champions' like simply celebrating or making a joke, but I will say it would have been best he just not have posted it since the champions never had a chance. In spite of this, it's commonplace that leakers can leak things that are right and mix them with things that are wrong, and through it all he's done well enough that people should at least check it out whenever he mentions something, and with how oddly similar the entire situation is to the Minecraft one I have to say that I still toss this one into the 'Chief is 11' Box.

There are other things that I have found that makes me think Master Chief is officially CP11, and some of these things are a bigger deal than Vergeben as far as I'm concerned, and even some things that I bet other people think are damning that I find weak. Vergeben isn't my biggest reason, but this whole thing reeks of a History Repeat with a significant reduction in time before it occurs and I can't wait for it to happen only for people to act like they never doubted Vergeben.

Essentially, this sudden explosion around Chief is too much to be a coincidence, but I will say for those in the back who judge that of course it could just be wrong.
Right, no one's saying that Chief can't be CP11.

Just, Verg's not a reliable source of info. You can try to twist his "We are the Champions" thing to fit your own narrative, go ahead, but the fact remains that he's completely disappeared off the face of the net after he screwed up, and something tells me we won't be seeing him again.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Right, no one's saying that Chief can't be CP11.

Just, Verg's not a reliable source of info. You can try to twist his "We are the Champions" thing to fit your own narrative, go ahead, but the fact remains that he's completely disappeared off the face of the net after he screwed up, and something tells me we won't be seeing him again.
You mean much like last time before Steve happened and he was proven right?

Him disappearing has less to do with your biased opinion that he 'screwed up' and more with that fact that it has been his more recent MO to leak some things and then bail for a while. The fact that you are taking his leaving as him 'screwing up' when other leakers do this and he's already done this before this recent emergence is proof that you are actively already twisting this scenario to fit your own narrative, which is funny since you immediately implied that I would try to spin my own narrative when I already said it doesn't matter and he does piggyback and that he shouldn't have made that post in the first place.

Feel free to keep projecting though. Also, Vergeben will be back at some point, and it's highly likely we will be adding Chief to the list of things he has said, even if someone else said it first.

More importantly, I think that while this Chief stuff is incredibly damning, there are other things that have happened in this pass that gives more credibility to Chief.

Shroob

Sup?
You mean much like last time before Steve happened and he was proven right?

Him disappearing has less to do with your biased opinion that he 'screwed up' and more with that fact that it has been his more recent MO to leak some things and then bail for a while. The fact that you are taking his leaving as him 'screwing up' when other leakers do this and he's already done this before this recent emergence is proof that you are actively already twisting this scenario to fit your own narrative, which is funny since you immediately implied that I would try to spin my own narrative when I already said it doesn't matter and he does piggyback and that he shouldn't have made that post in the first place.

Feel free to keep projecting though. Also, Vergeben will be back at some point, and it's highly likely we will be adding Chief to the list of things he has said, even if someone else said it first.

More importantly, I think that while this Chief stuff is incredibly damning, there are other things that have happened in this pass that gives more credibility to Chief.
Vergeben's had a solid track record. He's the same man who took 2-3 months to confirm Incineroar, and even when he got stuff "wrong", aka things didn't happen when he said they would, he still stuck around to double down that they WOULD happen and remained solid that they WOULD happen. This is the same guy who went against Grinch theory and took a galaxy's worth of hate when he said that Isaac would be an Assist Trophy. He didn't this time.

Regardless, for as much as you say I'm "projecting", the truth is he still went in on the 4 Champions and got burned. "But all leakers mix in fake info!", except Vergeben literally has never done it. Everything he said in regards to Smash was 100% true, and he double-triple checked his information constantly to make sure his stuff was 100% correct. When he picked up people like Loz18 or Senjougihara_Hitagi as a "Accomplices", he dropped their asses as soon as they started spouting bull****. This is one of the main reasons that Vergeben was soo "respected" as a leaker. He told things as they were and didn't add in false info, he was honest. He didn't play games with people, if he had info, he'd share it, but ONLY if he could verify its legitimacy.

So for Verg to suddenly mix in fake info now, yeah, that's extremely damning to his track record, a dude who was cautious as hell about leaks, would toss away people who he found were flimsy, and go into months of double-triple checking info to make sure it was 100% correct. You don't go from leaking with basically 100% honestly to "Oh, well all leakers just mix in fake info."

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Vergeben doesn't mix in fake information in the way people think it is.

He gets stuff wrong cause he believed wrong people. He never would intentinally lie.

That doesn't make him credible anymore whatsoever. That just means he would never deceive others. He's honest to the core. If he doesn't know what happened, cause he got wrong informaiton, then it's exactly that. Whoever told him the BOTW Champions thing gave him false information.

There's a huge difference between credibility and a liar. He's no liar, of course. But he doesn't get good information anymore. He legit has tried harder, but it didn't work out. People come and go. It's best to move on.

For the record, this has nothing to do with leakbait. He was leakbaitd at least with Star Fox Grand Prix, but that was... it?

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The only thing I feel that will determine if Geno had a chance again is if Sakurai wraps up the Kazuya presentation and reveals a Fighter Pass 3.

If he just ends the presentation and claims there is only one more character left, then that might be all she wrote for Smash Ultimate.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
The only thing I feel that will determine if Geno had a chance again is if Sakurai wraps up the Kazuya presentation and reveals a Fighter Pass 3.

If he just ends the presentation and claims there is only one more character left, then that might be all she wrote for Smash Ultimate.
He was being pretty vague in the column.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Why do I say this?

I think the bigger problem is Master Chief as the Microsoft Xbox doesn't have the same pull in Japan as he does in the West, and that's a bit of a nonstarter. Like I think the romanticizing of a Master Chief Finishes the Fight as the last character is a very Western perspective for a game that has demonstrably placed Japanese interests and franchises above all else, and then you're let with a Chief that would be a pretty big deal in the West as the final fighter, but with basically none of the impact to Japan. And while I think that's not impossible to overcome, I also find it unconvincing that Sakurai/Nintendo would decide on their big finisher for Smash to just be this character that doesn't have the same appeal in Japan if they're deciding to go with a big finisher like that even to begin with. Like if you're going for a big finisher with impact in Japan and the rest of the world, you'd lean into Crash and Sora or maybe even like Dante/somebody from Resident Evil (which I know RE tends to get most of its sales from the West, but it's still a bigger presence in Japan relative to Halo)/etc. Sure a couple of those would include new companies coming on board and Microsoft is already on board, but again, having Smash suddenly end on a very Western focused pick like that when the only two picks that really push that are Banjo-Kazooie and Dark Samus to begin with, just sort of feels off to me.

Beyond that, we've just got way too many people with information and major roles at 343 mentioning Chief in all kinds of capacities with regards to Smash, which has been a death sentence for every other character in this game with the exception of like Kirkhope's more indirect poking at Banjo (and Kirkhope wasn't like obviously involved with Banjo prior to the announcement of his remix).

Like I'd love, love to be wrong on Chief as he and Crash are basically who I have left from my own biases to get into Smash by the end of Ultimate, but I just don't it's happening and I don't think Halo in Smash was ever a priority to Nintendo in the same way that everything else has been.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
To address those above who are again assuming things and putting words in my mouth, I said it's commonplace for leakers to mix real information with fake information. I never said it was intentional, and I never called anyone a mastermind or a liar. I merely said 'leakers often tend to give both right and wrong information, often at the same time' and suddenly now it's all about Vergeben's character and his intent and that I'm claiming to know what that is when I couldn't possibly. That's a lot of assumptions and leaps in logic there, as well as changing the topic of the conversation yet again.

It started as 'I think Chief is CP11, and a major reason is that Vergeben popped up and said Chief and specifically was WRONG about Chief being CP10/at E3, but this matches up nearly tit-for-tat with his Minecraft content leak years back so I think we have a repeat offender' to 'Vergeben isn't credible because of another post he made in the same thread' when it never was about his credibility but the odd situation. It was brought back to the original conversation with 'leakers tend to have right and wrong information and share both, so this doesn't invalidate the odd repeat of events, especially when matched up with everything else that happened' and then it was changed yet again to 'Vergeben isn't credible and wouldn't purposely mix false information' and then moved farther to 'Vergeben isn't a liar, he's just an idiot and has no real information' when the conversation was never about his character or intent.

Do you see why I moved from the Newcomer Thread to here? Because here we only have someone from the Newcomer Thread and so far one other derailing the original conversation and arguing a point that was never made by me but by themselves, where as the Newcomer Thread by now would have anywhere between 5-10 comments acting just like this while also insulting me and all of them would have many likes from people who dislike me personally but are too cowardly to openly admit it with a post.

And you wonder why, when combining this with the overall toxic fanbase, the staff causing self-sabotage to their own active user base and generally doing a poor job at moderation, and this site being a dying social media platform in the face of Twitter and Reddit, that nobody wants to be active here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very narrow-minded, but then again you have shown that as a trait of yours. I don't even mean this to be rude, just something I've observed over time spent with you.

Do you really think that Smash Ultimate can only live on if Sakurai announces a FP3 even though he CLEARLY has gone out of his way to state that there is nothing after this pass? There are no other avenues other than 'FP3' or 'RIP Smash until the next console in like 5 years?'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This brings me back to a topic I mentioned before, which was Sakurai informing us that the presentation hasn't been recorded yet. After reflection and conversation with people as and more intelligent than myself, I've come to the conclusion that we can safely say that Sakurai and Co. wouldn't be slowed down by anything at this point, so in other words...

I think we can safely cross off Suggestion #2 there. This is because that the clearly intended and nearly-reached goal of having all of FP1 show up and drop in 2019 as well as the amount of work done during the pandemic rules and in the face of being bounced around between work-at-home and the office, there is nothing that could really stall Sakurai and his team to delay the recording.

This leaves us with Suggestion #1, in which Sakurai's clip was simply recorded many a month ago and the presentation is actually already recorded (which is very likely the case) and Suggestion #3 which is that Sakurai and his team are in fact busy working on something else which by the very nature of being spread so thin has caused priority shifts and minor delays, leading to the presentation not being ready yet.

I find this one fascinating to dig into, but before I do, I must point out that I was wrong yet again: Sakurai has purposely recorded a presentation less than a month from a reveal before, and it was with Sephy in Dec, recording it within the same month. However, previous to this, he always recorded the presentation at a minimum of a month before it aired, if not before that. We know this to be because of editing and translation.

Funnily enough, we don't know when Pyra/Mythra's presentation was recorded, or at least I haven't been able to dig up that information yet and it wasn't made readily apparent by Sakurai when he normally informs us as such. So suddenly, with have Sephy being recorded in the same month as release, no info on when Pyra/Mythra were recorded, and now Kazuya's isn't recorded yet?

Now you COULD suggest that, since the team works on three characters at a time and they are very near completion of the entire game and finalization, that they have decided take things slower...but I will counter by stating the obvious, which is that it is incredibly out of character for Sakurai and general Japanese work ethic to simply be lackadaisical just because they are almost done. This is why I think it's either an older clip, or they are working on something else at the same time.

Now, let's dig into some juicy tidbits here. Sakurai and his team, which is significantly smaller than the one working on the base game, very nearly released an entire pass of five characters and all their content as well as having a lot more additional general content then FP2 has had (Stage Builder, Home Run Contest, etc) in a single year. In the face of a pandemic and jarring rule changes about the work place, they were barely all that affected and still chugged along. They have more than proven what they can do and how fast they can do it.

FP2 was 'pseudo-announced' with Terry's reveal in the 2019 Sept Direct, when they announced there was in fact more DLC after FP1. We got Banjo's presentation that day as well, which was recorded soon after Hero's, which was in July. This puts the beginning of work on FP2 at the absolute LATEST at sometime in Summer of 2019, but it's much more likely it was earlier than that for negotiations and blueprints, so in reality it's more fitting to say that actual development in terms of coding and design started at the LATEST in Summer of 2019. This is further backed by us knowing that the characters are worked on three at a time, and Banjo would have been finished somewhere between July and August, which would mean that Terry, Byleth and Min Min were the ones in the oven at the time of Terry's reveal.

So, if the first character for FP2 was being actually made since Summer of 2019, and Sakurai's team is not only not lazy but churns out quality content at a break-neck pace, why was the original placeholder for FP2 by the end of 2021? It's not like they could have predicted how bad the pandemic would be that early on, and it only really got bad in early 2020, plus it was being downplayed prior to that.

So if it wasn't the pandemic, and it wasn't so they could sip sake at the beach for weeks, then why place such a date?

Another interesting thing is, what was up with Byleth's delay? If you believe certain leakers, Byleth was originally planned for base game (which would shave off some amount of dev time, though how much is uncertain), and we know that they would have been in the oven since Hero was finished which is likely sometime in June. With the trailer that was clearly not meant for a Smash-exclusive presentation, why the heck were they delayed by about a month?

This question is also brought up for Min Min: as mentioned earlier, she would have started development in July or August, pre-pandemic issues. So why in the hell was she delayed until June when she was initially slated for April? That would imply that she was SO difficult to get right that even with this team's previous ability and pace that it took upwards of an ENTIRE YEAR for a singular character and I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a second. She wouldn't need to be delayed for Steve, and Steve would have been in development since Terry was done around Sept/Oct...so why is there this huge three-month gap where we got literally nothing?

What about Hero? If you believe information from certain leakers, much like Byleth he was originally intended for base game, but got pushed back. That would also shave off development time, though once again we don't know how much, making the delay of Byleth and subsequently all of FP2 even more dubious. If you believe Verge that there was a swap between Joker and Hero, then that could shave off even MORE dev time from Hero.

Also, what is up with that weird gap in 2020? Min Min was originally April, and Steve was on time in Oct. Are you seriously trying to tell me that they planned on no character reveal and release between May and September? With only six characters being made, which is only one more than FP1 which was nearly released in one year? Having that kind of a gap planned for seemingly no reason doesn't add up to me, and having a date of the end of 2021 when they could have easily had all of FP2 revealed by this E3 or even earlier. Heck, they could have done that even now, and they didn't.

And finally, Sephy's presentation was recorded the same month when prior they were all recorded a month or more ahead of time, we don't know when Pyra/Mythra's was recorded, and Kazuya's potentially isn't done yet?

Yeah, I'm sorry guys, this isn't adding up at all. The is completely uncharacteristic of Sakurai and his team, and COVID or random snags just simply can't explain away all of this. All of this is much too for me. I'm sure there is a bigger reason for all this, but what it is, I think we can only hope we get an answer for sooner rather than later.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think the bigger problem is Master Chief as the Microsoft Xbox doesn't have the same pull in Japan as he does in the West, and that's a bit of a nonstarter. Like I think the romanticizing of a Master Chief Finishes the Fight as the last character is a very Western perspective for a game that has demonstrably placed Japanese interests and franchises above all else, and then you're let with a Chief that would be a pretty big deal in the West as the final fighter, but with basically none of the impact to Japan. And while I think that's not impossible to overcome, I also find it unconvincing that Sakurai/Nintendo would decide on their big finisher for Smash to just be this character that doesn't have the same appeal in Japan if they're deciding to go with a big finisher like that even to begin with. Like if you're going for a big finisher with impact in Japan and the rest of the world, you'd lean into Crash and Sora or maybe even like Dante/somebody from Resident Evil (which I know RE tends to get most of its sales from the West, but it's still a bigger presence in Japan relative to Halo)/etc. Sure a couple of those would include new companies coming on board and Microsoft is already on board, but again, having Smash suddenly end on a very Western focused pick like that when the only two picks that really push that are Banjo-Kazooie and Dark Samus to begin with, just sort of feels off to me.

Beyond that, we've just got way too many people with information and major roles at 343 mentioning Chief in all kinds of capacities with regards to Smash, which has been a death sentence for every other character in this game with the exception of like Kirkhope's more indirect poking at Banjo (and Kirkhope wasn't like obviously involved with Banjo prior to the announcement of his remix).

Like I'd love, love to be wrong on Chief as he and Crash are basically who I have left from my own biases to get into Smash by the end of Ultimate, but I just don't it's happening and I don't think Halo in Smash was ever a priority to Nintendo in the same way that everything else has been.
Japan accounts only 1/4 of Ultimate sales. So, why should Japan be so much concern?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Japan accounts only 1/4 of Ultimate sales. So, why should Japan be so much concern?
Super Smash Bros. is a Japanese video game series made by a Japanese developer whose tastes are overwhelmingly Japanese even if he plays Western games and Nintendo is a Japanese company with the strongest connections to other Japanese companies. In Smash's 15 year history of having third party playable fighters, only two have ever been from Western third parties, one of which being an actual former Nintendo first party character that was massively fan requested and the other being from the best selling video game ever that is also really popular in Japan. As it currently stands it is two franchises away from having every single major Japanese third party franchise in playable form with over 30 million sales represented just missing Monster Hunter and Resident Evil, with Monster Hunter also getting a quite decent chunk of non-playable character representation (I think Kingdom Hearts also may have crossed 30 million, but it's also just all around a weird franchise with incredibly unique circumstances). Meanwhile, basically nothing else from Western franchises has shown up and even Spirit Events/Mii Costumes have been largely focused on Japanese IP (Though we have gotten a few more options there with Rabbids, Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy).

I think that's why Japan is so much concern when you look at that full picture, especially going into a final fighter for a game like Ultimate where I think if they wanted to go out on a high note it would include a character who probably appeals more globally and specifically more within Japan than someone like Chief who basically has no real continued presence due to Microsoft's incredibly limited presence outside of like Minecraft.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Super Smash Bros. is a Japanese video game series made by a Japanese developer whose tastes are overwhelmingly Japanese even if he plays Western games and Nintendo is a Japanese company with the strongest connections to other Japanese companies. In Smash's 15 year history of having third party playable fighters, only two have ever been from Western third parties, one of which being an actual former Nintendo first party character that was massively fan requested and the other being from the best selling video game ever that is also really popular in Japan. As it currently stands it is two franchises away from having every single major Japanese third party franchise in playable form with over 30 million sales represented just missing Monster Hunter and Resident Evil, with Monster Hunter also getting a quite decent chunk of non-playable character representation (I think Kingdom Hearts also may have crossed 30 million, but it's also just all around a weird franchise with incredibly unique circumstances). Meanwhile, basically nothing else from Western franchises has shown up and even Spirit Events/Mii Costumes have been largely focused on Japanese IP (Though we have gotten a few more options there with Rabbids, Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy).

I think that's why Japan is so much concern when you look at that full picture, especially going into a final fighter for a game like Ultimate where I think if they wanted to go out on a high note it would include a character who probably appeals more globally and specifically more within Japan than someone like Chief who basically has no real continued presence due to Microsoft's incredibly limited presence outside of like Minecraft.
Plenty of Japanese companies appealed to west more than Japan. Capcom and Namco did.
Massively requested and former Nintendo are just trying to fit after they got in. You wouldn't have believed Banjo would've made in before Phil's approval. I bet you never thought those reasoning mattered before Banjo's inclusion. It's more akin to revisionist history.

Let's face it. Banjo isn't that much more popular or famous than Halo in Japan. Actually, Ridley and Little Mac are far worse offenders to Japanese than Chief would be. Why reject potential 10 million new audience just because of Japan? Especially MS seems to be easier to work with than Disney or Activision?

Staarih

Smash Master
Plenty of Japanese companies appealed to west more than Japan. Capcom and Namco did.
Massively requested and former Nintendo are just trying to fit after they got in. You wouldn't have believed Banjo would've made in before Phil's approval. I bet you never thought those reasoning mattered before Banjo's inclusion. It's more akin to revisionist history.

Let's face it. Banjo isn't that much more popular or famous than Halo in Japan. Actually, Ridley and Little Mac are far worse offenders to Japanese than Chief would be. Why reject potential 10 million new audience just because of Japan? Especially MS seems to be easier to work with than Disney or Activision?
Characters from Japanese companies are already Japan-biased, even if the characters were more popular in the west. Banjo was essentially a Nintendo creation back in the days. Ridley, Little Mac yeah, are more popular in the west, but are Nintendo characters = Japanese.

I reckon there'll always be some level of "Japan-bias" in Western character choices, if there'll be any. As such, a fully Western character with not much if at all presence in Japan will probably have an uphill getting in Smash. Steve/Minecraft managed by being virtually huge worldwide.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Characters from Japanese companies are already Japan-biased, even if the characters were more popular in the west. Banjo was essentially a Nintendo creation back in the days. Ridley, Little Mac yeah, are more popular in the west, but are Nintendo characters = Japanese.

I reckon there'll always be some level of "Japan-bias" in Western character choices, if there'll be any. As such, a fully Western character with not much if at all presence in Japan will probably have an uphill getting in Smash. Steve/Minecraft managed by being virtually huge worldwide.
Are those really "Japan-bias" though?

Ridley's clearly a western thing.

Staarih

Smash Master
Are those really "Japan-bias" though?

Ridley's clearly a western thing.
Japan-bias probably isn't the best term haha. Anyway, it's kinda hard to tell what truly is "a western thing". I think Ridley popped up in the polls by Sakurai from Japanese fans pre-Brawl as well. Metroid, like Punch-Out/Little Mac, are still Nintendo franchises which, even if potentially pushed more by the west, are still created by a Japanese company. I guess it's understandable that Japanese developers gravitate towards other Japanese developers.

I can't help but feel a character from a Western company with little or no ties to Japan will struggle to get in Smash, which is why the likes of Master Chief or Rayman are giving me a hard time haha. Unless they're through some sort special business decision. Though I'd be happy to be proven wrong, and I guess we do have costumes/spirits, which is a good start, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom