• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno or Bowser Jr. for last Mario series spot?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Not that outrageous once you think of it.

Mario had 5 reps in Melee, Yoshi and Wario are representing their series respectively, and since it's safe to say Dr. Mario is gone, there's one open spot. I don't think it would be asking too much for Sakurai to add one more Mario franchise character than the last installment, would it?

There's room for them both.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I too would like Both, but if it could only be one, for whatever reason...I'd prefer Geno.

While Jr. is a cute lil' Bowser (Bowser is my favorite Mario character) he would be good, but Mario RPG is one of my favorite games of all time, and I haven't played/ liked any game with Jr. in it yet

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haven't played or haven't liked

you cant really put a slash in between those two things lol

what games have you played if you've played any with him in

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr. or Geno? I tend to lean more towards Geno. I do not necessarily like the character, but it does seem like he would have more of a unique and diverse moveset. Just my opinion on the matter.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I liked Super Mario Sunshine, but Bowser Jr. and his stupid annoying voice drove me a little insane.

Really... Mario games DON'T need voice acting.:ohwell:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
haven't played or haven't liked

you cant really put a slash in between those two things lol

what games have you played if you've played any with him in
Well some games I haven't played and others I didn't like so I put a slash to say that I either played a game I didn't like or haven't played it yet so I can't judge.

I played Sunshine and didn't like it...I didn't very much like New Super Mario Bros but I haven't beaten the whole game...because I don't own it yet...

I like what I played of Galaxy actually but I have only played the demo in store for 5 minutes or something so I can't judge yet but I assume I'll like it

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr.

Geno is a totally uninteresting, slightly overrated character. I can not understand his popularity (thougu I respect his fans).

But Little Bowser is so cool!

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I liked Super Mario Sunshine, but Bowser Jr. and his stupid annoying voice drove me a little insane.

Really... Mario games DON'T need voice acting.:ohwell:
I concur with you on that one old boy! I also do not hold a Nintendo Wii, but, like many other users here, plan to buy one specifically to play Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bowser Jr.

Geno is a totally uninteresting, slightly overrated character. I can not understand his popularity (thougu I respect his fans).

But Little Bowser is so cool!
He's not overrated, his game is just majorly underrated

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
He's not overrated, his game is just majorly underrated
Even though I'm a Geno supporter and would love to see him in, I really can't agree with that statement.

SMRPG just didn't appeal to me as much as others (I especially love Paper Mario a lot more.) Of course that's an opinion, but everywhere I go it's like everybody loves SMRPG.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
If the game is truly underrated, it must be underrated for a particular reason. I do not want to judge a game I've never played, but this game possibly didn't appeal to a large percentage of gamers. Which, in return, makes this video game 'underrated'.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If the game is truly underrated, it must be underrated for a particular reason. I do not want to judge a game I've never played, but this game possibly didn't appeal to a large percentage of gamers. Which, in return, makes this video game 'underrated'.
That is not even close to the reason it was underrated. It came out just after CHRONO TRIGGER and just before the N64 and was only released in Japan and America. It truly was a good game, that got shafted by release dates and various other things

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Geno is over rated, lulz.

Bowser jr is far more important to the overall Mario franchise and Series, People who think Bowser Jr is not important and is just Bowser's pawn, must have not played Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros, or Mario Galaxy... all of which are the most current, canon, and not to mention Bowser Jr influenced.. with him serving as the main antagonist in 2/3 of those games.. and as a major Boss in the third (Galaxy).

And.. I would also like to note that.. With the inclusion of Rosalina's AT confirmed... Sakurai is obviously current with the Mario series (Since he seemed to be leaning towards more of the Sunshine era), meaning he must obviously also know of Bowser Jr's importance..

And about the Koopalings.. Bowser Jr is the youngest child of Bowser.. His other kids are probably dead (lulz) due to their lack of appearances in the series (last seen in M&L). Bowser Jr unlike the koopalings has never truely served Bowser as a general or guardian, Bowser Jr seems to be his own boss, and does whatever he pleases. This is further proven in mario galaxy, where he exclaims he does not need his father to do things.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Bowser jr is far more important to the overall Mario franchise and Series, People who think Bowser Jr is not important and is just Bowser's pawn, must have not played Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros, or Mario Galaxy... all of which are the most current, canon, and not to mention Bowser Jr influenced.. with him serving as the main antagonist in 2/3 of those games.. and as a major Boss in the third (Galaxy).

And.. I would also like to note that.. With the inclusion of Rosalina's AT confirmed... Sakurai is obviously current with the Mario series (Since he seemed to be leaning towards more of the Sunshine era), meaning he must obviously also know of Bowser Jr's importance..

And about the Koopalings.. Bowser Jr is the youngest child of Bowser.. His other kids are probably dead (lulz) due to their lack of appearances in the series (last seen in M&L). Bowser Jr unlike the koopalings has never truely served Bowser as a general or guardian, Bowser Jr seems to be his own boss, and does whatever he pleases. This is further proven in mario galaxy, where he exclaims he does not need his father to do things.
Bowser Jr is both overrated and overhyped by Nintendo

Mad555

Smash Ace
In Smithy's Factory Mains: Fox, Sheik Brawl Mains:

Bowser Jr is important to the Mario Franchise, I agree only with some of it, He seemed to have turned into Bowser right hand man since Sunshine.

iMichael

Smash Lord

QFT!

Like you stated about Rosalina bein an AT and Mario Sunshine being looked at....I'm not even doubting Bowser Jr. as a PC. I do feel Geno is overrated, but I would also like them to both bein...but if it came down to one...then Bowser Jr.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Their going to put Bowser Jr in everything regardless, if Geno is not in this, then the game will basically be forgotten in history

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr is both overrated and overhyped by Nintendo
Oh yeah because it makes perfect sense for Nintendo to Suddenly give bowser jr minor roles or remove him after being so important to the series, and being Bowser true son. //sarcasm

Their going to put Bowser Jr in everything regardless, if Geno is not in this, then the game will basically be forgotten in history
No one will forget SMRPG because Geno was not in Brawl.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
if the game isn't forgotten by now it wont be forgotten after brawl comes out.

super mario rpg was a fantastic game, fans of the game will always praise it

I'd love to see an actual sequel, i remember being so disappointed when i heard paper mario was essentially smrpg 2... but then paper mario turned into my favorite nintendo franchise! n_n

still i'd love to see a real sequel.

iMichael

Smash Lord
good facts to back up what you were saying.

anyways, why does everyone seem to think its impossible to have both? that would be awesome, i'd obviously prefer bowser jr over geno, but both would be really cool.
That's what I want them to do....put both in. I'm just saying if it came down to them picking one....it would be Bowser Jr.

There going to put Bowser Jr in everything regardless, if Geno is not in this, then the game will basically be forgotten in history
Geno doesn't make or break Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's what I want them to do....put both in. I'm just saying if it came down to them picking one....it would be Bowser Jr.

Geno doesn't make or brake Brawl.
I wasn't taking about Brawl, I was talking about Mario RPG

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
good facts to back up what you were saying.
Were you being sarcastic?

I really do think that Nintendo is overhyping Bowser Jr. All of the sudden he's in every Mario game, and really he wasn't even that great of a character in Sunshine, they should have stopped there IMO.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Were you being sarcastic?

I really do think that Nintendo is overhyping Bowser Jr. All of the sudden he's in every Mario game, and really he wasn't even that great of a character in Sunshine, they should have stopped there IMO.
Yep you nailed it, This is your opinion.

And just like others opinions who think Bowser Jr is a fantastic addition to the Mario series.
Bowser Jr imo, brings more fun to the overall series.

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
That is not even close to the reason it was underrated. It came out just after CHRONO TRIGGER and just before the N64 and was only released in Japan and America. It truly was a good game, that got shafted by release dates and various other things
Oh, I see. So it was a matter of release dates, but you stated that it was released sometime around Chrono Trigger? Well, if the game was publicized and released in more countries along with a better release schedule, this game would have received more credit than for what it is worth now. It is an unfortunate chain of events I'm afraid.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i think you guys are using the word "hype" incorrectly, bowser jr isn't being "hyped" by nintendo they are just using him in lots of games, if you think he is being OVERUSED then (while i still disagree) it makes more sense.

Nintendo hyped sonic in brawl by ADVERTISING IT HEAVILY, he isn't hyping bowser jr by putting him in mario party ds

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yep you nailed it, This is your opinion.

And just like others opinions who think Bowser Jr is a fantastic addition to the Mario series.
Bowser Jr imo, brings more fun to the overall series.
You know it's not like I'm not aware there are opposing views to mine or anything. :ohwell:

Really I just hope he doesn't make it and I really hope Nintendo stops pushing him. I know for a lot of people Super Mario Sunshine was a disappointing sequel, and for that reason, among others many probably don't like Bowser Jr. and would probably rather not have him pushed anymore.

and if he does have to make it in, I don't want to have to hear his voice. >_<

(Somebody answer this question... Is there voice acting in Super Mario Galaxy?)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
You know it's not like I'm not aware there are opposing views to mine or anything. :ohwell:

Really I just hope he doesn't make it and I really hope Nintendo stops pushing him. I know for a lot of people Super Mario Sunshine was a disappointing sequel, and for that reason, among others many probably don't like Bowser Jr. and would probably rather not have him pushed anymore.

and if he does have to make it in, I don't want to have to hear his voice. >_<

(Somebody answer this question... Is there voice acting in Super Mario Galaxy?)
New Super Mario Bros. was a extremely successful and highly received game, which included Bowser Jr as the main antagonist.

and Mario Sunshine was not as bad as people made it seem, its just people expected Super Mario 64 part 2, but they got something new. Mario Galaxy is more like Super Mario 64 2, because its gameplay is more similar (Mario control wise).

Yes there is alot of voice acting in Mario galaxy. (Marios voice was a bit weird imo)

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
New Super Mario Bros. was a extremely successful and highly received game, which included Bowser Jr as the main antagonist.

and Mario Sunshine was not as bad as people made it seem, its just people expected Super Mario 64 part 2, but they got something new. Mario Galaxy is more like Super Mario 64 2, because its gameplay is more similar (Mario control wise).
It's weird, when I play SMG, I think of Sunshine.
I don't know why.

Top Bottom