• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Just been watching blocked content. Don’t believe in the leaks they cover because they come from 4chan but the one they’ve just covered got me a little intrigued and curious to whether it could actually be the case behind Geno.

it basically was a Japanese leak that said sephiroph and Geno is a mii.

it’s converted into broken English. They said that square and Nintendo know about the popularity of Geno, however they don’t understand properly what the fans want. According to the leak square hear a lot of request for Geno but they don’t want Geno to be known solely as a smash character.

they don’t understand what Geno fan’s intentions are apparently. They don’t know whether we want a remake or if we want Geno in smash. They hear a lot of demand from different areas and don’t know what the people actually want.

it’s most likely fake but listening to the 4chan leak it kind of felt somewhat believable.

even if it’s fake congrats to whoever made it because it’s something that sounds like it Could’ve been legit.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be at all surprised if at some point later we get a 75 cent Geno head that came with a music track as a way to make up for being so tone deaf and also let SE have their licensing money. So to get the full costume it'd twice the price of other premium mii fighters.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah but the definition of a "Smash fanbase request" is pretty vague. Preferences change all the time.

For instance, you mentioned Smash fanbase polls as an indication for Smash popularity, which is sketchy at best. If we look at Source Gaming's Mega Smash poll, we see characters like Doomguy and Reimu crack the top 15 despite them not appearing in Smash speculation AT ALL prior to Fighter Pass 1 speculation. I've also seen the likes of Heavy and 2B appear in polls, and no way you'd call them traditional Smash fanbase favourites. I think characters like Joker and Terry have open the doors for a wider range of third-party characters entering, and that's a good thing.

Meanwhile, some posts here suggest Hero and Steve aren't for the Smash fanbase, despite Sakurai already stating that both characters were literally added because of fan demand.

Of course, Geno is definitely a bona fide Smash fanbase request, no doubt, as are the likes of Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, etc. But it's not that simple.
It's not really worth getting into the semantics of what does or doesn't specifically qualify as a "Smash fan pick" but to your point, these picks change over time. Now, important to note, why do these change over time? Two main reasons:

1) Recent events, such as the unveiling of a newcomer, AT, spirit or a certain Mii costume, result in people abandoning hope for certain characters while boosting faith in other characters. Hence why you won't find Banjo, Ridley, Krool etc on a modern poll despite being at the top of the polls 3-6 years ago.

2) Leaks and speculation generate artificial popularity. What I mean by artificial is that people didn't seriously think that the likes of Doomguy, Dante or Ryu Hyabusa were serious contenders until AFTER supposed insiders started to circulate rumors. That's not to say they don't have their devoted fans, but tons of people bandwagon when enough people feel confident in a certain pick getting in. It's like a syphoning effect. This is typical human nature and fairly easy to create. For example, if I could get at least 3 credible leakers to claim that Poppy from Xenoblade chronicles 2 is coming to Smash, then people would suddenly come out of the woodwork to support (or hate) her. Before long, she'd start popping up on various polls.

Regardless, I think you're confusing general popularity with Smash popularity. I know there's a fine line between the two, but there is a definite difference between the diehard smash fans, the ones that play regularly for years at a time, constantly keep up with news, religiously buy the games and DLC, have active fan groups that send letters to and communicate directly with Nintendo, and the casual video game fandom at large. The casuals get bored quickly, usually only staying active for the first few months of a game's release and maybe a week or two with each DLC. They're happy with virtually any newcomer and are easily pulled in by familiar faces. Logically speaking, Nintendo doesn't have a need to pander to the diehard fans because we lap up Nintendo's crap no matter what they give us. The casuals on the other hand? Those are the ones Nintendo is trying to pull in. Their friends and relatives that play Minecraft, or other fighting games, or play on different consoles entirely, these are the people Nintendo wants to bring into the fold (to get their money). That's why I'm saying that most of the DLC characters are targeted at them. If they wanted to appease the diehard fans, you would have seen Isaac, or Geno, or Dixie Kong, or KOS-MOS, but Nintendo sees these characters as too obscure. They want characters that virtually anyone would recognize, or at least characters OUTSIDE the usual Smash speculation circles. If it happens that the next DLC is something that a decent portion of Smash fans want, that's more likely coincidence than specific wish fulfillment.

Last edited:

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice so with geno’s current devastating situation, where do you think this stands for waluigi? i know your not always allows to talk about other characters here but they are both mario characteers i am considering do you still think waluigi is likely and in the fighter pass or bonus ??

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
To change the topic in this case, what is your guess for when FP9 releases? My guess is sometime in March because of the next wave of Smash amiibos
I’m right there with you. If we’re getting any kind of dual reveal I don’t think it’ll be 9 and 10 so it’ll have to be 10 and 11. So, late March-early April is the safest bet.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
My personal feeling is that if E3 2021 isn't cancelled, that is where FP10 and FP11 are revealed
fighter pass ends in December. They’re not gonna reveal the last character in June. Most likely if e3’s not cancelled then it’ll be 1 reveal.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
fighter pass ends in December. They’re not gonna reveal the last character in June. Most likely if e3’s not cancelled then it’ll be 1 reveal.
BY December. We've talked about this before, but the December 2021 deadline makes zero sense, especially in a pre-COVID development cycle. Assuming Steve and Sephiroth were out E3 reveals, we get a schedule like this.
  • Min Min: Spring 2020
  • Steve/Sephiroth : E3 2020, Steve released in Summer, Sephiroth in early Fall
  • Fighter 9 : Fall Direct, released late 2020
  • Fighter 10 : Game Awards, released early 2021
  • Fighter 11 : Revealed in early 2021 Direct, released Spring
Maybe some of these locations and times are a little off, but the point is that they would have to arbitrarily stretch out time between characters CONSIDERABLY to reach that deadline. Both Smash 4 and Fighter Pass 1 took about a year to get all their characters out, there's no reason Pass 2 wouldn't be the same.

Last edited:

MSS

Smash Cadet
It’s real disheartening that we didn’t even get the deluxe mii treatment. I’m pretty salty about it and it definitely makes me not want to buy the mii costume at all...unfortunately, I’m going get it in hopes that it helps us see Geno somehow in the future.

MattX20

Smash Hero
You guys recall voice theory? Well, with Sephiroth, we've gotten one voice, which leaves 4 spots left with the upcoming remaining 3 fighter spots. If we do get a character with a character specific alt, my current speculation leans towards these characters:
Bandai Namco: KOS-MOS and T-elos
Capcom: Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice or Miles Edgeworth
Activision: Crash and Coco Bandicoot

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to be that guy but for people constantly saying Twitter users and ResetEra users don’t matter they’re living rent free in y’all’s heads. Y’all are talking about them constantly and it’s derailing the thread so in their heads they’re winning. I think it’s a good time for a change of topic.
Personal story time. In grad school, I had to work multiple jobs to pay for school. One of the jobs I worked was basically for one of the school's cafeteria. I had a supervisor who really didn't like me. He would single me out a lot, insult me to my face, berate me in front of other employees, etc. At first I tried to ignore it or treat it like it wasn't a big deal and that just made them angrier. Thought joking around with them would ease tensions but it didn't. Disregarding the power dynamic just made them angrier. He began to follow me around work and specifically chose me to do extra physical labor. There would be times I would be asked by another employee to get something out of the walk in freezers or the dry storage closets and I would turn around, supplies literally in my hands, and he would be blocking the exit, glaring at me. "What are you doing?" He wouldn't move until I told him specifically what I had, where I was taking it, and why. Needless to say, it was a very hostile work environment.

Time went on and it escalated. He would get mad at me for even talking with other employees and made it more of a point to degrade me in front of them. People noticed but didn't know what to do. I began to suffer significantly from anxiety to the point of getting physically sick. I was only two months into grad school and was already being stretched super thin. Got literally sick of the situation so I decided to turn him into the district manager and gave a very lengthy report to them.

Of course, the supervisor wasn't happy but his behavior changed immediately. The district manager was livid and made it pretty clear that the supervisor crossed a lot of lines. At first, the supervisor made it openly known that he thought what I did was "unfair" and openly complained for a solid week that he was genuinely scared for his job. He was unapologetic about the whole situation but was smart enough to understand that his career was over if it happened again. We worked together for roughly a year until he got a promotion and transferred to another state.

Moral of the story is that the extreme harassment only stopped after calling it out and not pretending it wasn't a big deal. Ignoring it made the situation worse and it only really stopped after getting the right people to also acknowledge how bull**** the situation was. Obviously, this is why I'm recanting this story to someone like you and why I've talked about this topic in private with people like Venus and Megadoomer, the "red names" that pop in this thread the most often. You guys are getting a lot better at squashing the problem here but at the same time, it's still a big problem especially because literally nothing is being done about it on places like Twitter. This all said, when you see Geno fans expressing their grievances about it here, recognize this is one of the few places they can because the staff here actually gives a **** about at least some degree of civility and decorum and it's basically the Wild West everywhere else.

Last edited:

Sk3tchy

Smash Rookie
You guys are getting a lot better at squashing the problem here but at the same time, it's still a big problem especially because literally nothing is being done about it on places like Twitter.
Here's my problem with nearly any website, or anywhere on the internet, no matter where you go. Being able to deal with a problem is much harder on the internet compared to in real life. It's not one person, but many, and trolls are numerous and in-between. It's easier when its only 112 people, compared to nearly millions of users scrolling through a website. Some might have malicious intent, others can't. And even if someone points it out, its not a guarantee that people can moderate it.

Anyways, let's change the topic off. I don't like Geno or fans here, but talking about the trolls only servers to make things worse. I'd prefer things being better in a place I don't like than not at all.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
BY December. We've talked about this before, but the December 2021 deadline makes zero sense, especially in a pre-COVID development cycle. Assuming Steve and Sephiroth were out E3 reveals, we get a schedule like this.
  • Min Min: Spring 2020
  • Steve/Sephiroth : E3 2020, Steve released in Summer, Sephiroth in early Fall
  • Fighter 9 : Fall Direct, released late 2020
  • Fighter 10 : Game Awards, released early 2021
  • Fighter 11 : Revealed in early 2021 Direct, released Spring
Maybe some of these locations and times are a little off, but the point is that they would have to arbitrarily stretch out time between characters CONSIDERABLY to reach that deadline. Both Smash 4 and Fighter Pass 1 took about a year to get all their characters out, there's no reason Pass 2 wouldn't be the same.
(This is what I've been pointing out for almost a year now...)

Yeah, only with extreme stalling would Season 2 be stretched out for a full two years. Even with COVID and Min Min's delay, we STILL got half of Season 2 this year and there's 12 months left to go. With the next major Smash Amiibo wave being in March, literally only two packs are left before E3 2021, an event that has a borderline perfect track record for multiple reveals. Said it last January and I'll say it now: I definitely feel like something's up.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
So, it's been a couple of days. How's everyone feeling about Geno's chances right now? Obviously, he's in a much worse position than he was before Sephiroth and the Mii costume, but I still don't think he's impossible. Mii costumes don't deconfirm. It's pretty clear that Nintendo is porting over all the costumes from Smash 4 because it's easy. I really think we were going to get the Geno costume regardless of whether or not Geno gets added.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
So, it's been a couple of days. How's everyone feeling about Geno's chances right now? Obviously, he's in a much worse position than he was before Sephiroth and the Mii costume, but I still don't think he's impossible. Mii costumes don't deconfirm. It's pretty clear that Nintendo is porting over all the costumes from Smash 4 because it's easy. I really think we were going to get the Geno costume regardless of whether or not Geno gets added.
I still feel pretty much the same as I did after the direct.
I think Geno's chances are pretty low at this point, but there is a small chance he can still make it in, and that's paradoxically due to the fact that he's not a deluxe Mii. The fact that the Mii costume returned, but was completely unchanged, is strange. However, it could just be that Sakurai wanted to port over the Smash 4 Mii costume for completion's sake, so I'm not sure I would read too much into that. Tangentially - has any other returning Mii costume been significantly changed relative to their Smash 4 counterpart?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I still feel pretty much the same as I did after the direct.
I think Geno's chances are pretty low at this point, but there is a small chance he can still make it in, and that's paradoxically due to the fact that he's not a deluxe Mii. The fact that the Mii costume returned, but was completely unchanged, is strange. However, it could just be that Sakurai wanted to port over the Smash 4 Mii costume for completion's sake, so I'm not sure I would read too much into that. Tangentially - has any other returning Mii costume been significantly changed relative to their Smash 4 counterpart?
Well, not unchanged. All of the Smash 4 DLC costumes have been touched up but it's more noticeable for some than others. For example...

250px-DLC_Costume_Gil_Armor.jpg

9gWRbgW.jpg

Gil is the most immediately apparent in my opinion. His sword, "skirt" and helmet look notably better than his Smash 4 version. Most are visual and physic touch ups like Heihachi here:

bae.png

bqijg34l3h651.jpg

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Come on fellas, im as miffed as you but lets not let that article speak for everyone, (Yes i know the bullies exist)

There are plenty that support us in our grief, but also remember: We are supporting a character that's largely unknown to others. We'll therefore look weird to them and that should be fine to us, They aren't trying to be as malicious as you think. Don't let this make you think the world hates us. They're either doing it out of ignorance or memes. Anyone really being mean about it isn't worth your stress, and even then: Always know this was going to happen no matter who was disconfirmed. K. rool could have easily been **** on like this if he doesn't get in.

PLEASE guys. Its not a matter of us against the world. We were unlucky and it sucks, but I beg you all: Don't let the memes fill you with hatred for people. Most know how we feel. 4Chan and gamefaqs and twitter aren't the majority. They really are not.

We trusted in Nintendo to care. That was our bad. We should use this to make a more concentrated effort to MAKE them care. Our efforts weren't enough, but we can take this and use it as reason to be louder next time.

The important thing now is to not lose sight of things and start feeling bitter and paranoid. Keep loving Geno and try not to take the memes so hard. Be the best person you can in response and show people you can take it. We have this L to hold whether we like it or not. We have to accept it and not make it harder than it needs to be.

I encourage fans to take things into their hands with Geno and make more fan creations and mods. Do what Nintendo will not.

Above all, DO NOT allow this to cause too much pain. As I've said...It IS a game. Life DOES go on, and I know that's a copout sounding answer for all we're dealing with, but it's true. Remember that this can only be as big a bummer as you allow it to be.

No matter what, I love you all. This is NOT the end for Geno. He'll have his day, but it won't be because of Nintendo. We have to buckle down and make it happen ourselves.

Hold your heads up and let's head into the next chapter together,

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
(This is what I've been pointing out for almost a year now...)

Yeah, only with extreme stalling would Season 2 be stretched out for a full two years. Even with COVID and Min Min's delay, we STILL got half of Season 2 this year and there's 12 months left to go. With the next major Smash Amiibo wave being in March, literally only two packs are left before E3 2021, an event that has a borderline perfect track record for multiple reveals. Said it last January and I'll say it now: I definitely feel like something's up.
Been tellin y'all for months that we are getting more DLC.

Vol 3 will be announced sometime next year, just watch.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Even I wasn't expecting him as a fighter anymore since the Sephiroth reveal, I'm still bummed on missing premium treatment but it is what it is. Gotta hope for mods to clean up the work. Either way. It's still a win. Despite it being small and bit lazy, this is more representation than whole franchises would get, some so more popular than Geno with Spirit and Costume(Music and Head would be the cherry on top though).

Anyways I starting to agree with consensus that we need to move away from Smash Twitter/GameFaq/4chan Clowns and look into future for into store for Geno like FPs speculation, mods, art etc. Just keep it in mind whenever they start this "we need to come together as community" BS again whether with Nintendo/FreeMelee or anything else.

Also on other news, I'm consider using the costume to gain GSP, hopefully to Elite Smash. Gaining the good rep. Thanks goodness I like Mii Gunner. Obama was my main for quite while.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

This will be unpopular but I don't want to be another Volume. I know it can potentially increase Geno's chances of getting in and Nintendo and Square to reconsider but this DLC cycle is gets out of hand all time and its always a toxic and very tiring experience all round. We all should know. Honestly, I want this cycle to end. If Sakurai still wants to continue work on Ultimate. He should start working on new modes. Not as hype as a character but better for the game in the long run.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I still doubt a volume 3 but you definitely deserve credit for being one of the first people to publicly point out the 16 dummyslots from back in the day. I think we're going to see a fair share of cheeky bull**** in 2021 like bonus characters or them pulling a Fall 2019 Direct at E3 2021 and being like "oh, boo hoo, only one more pack left? Psych! There's actually two more before 2022!" As the notorious Dextero leaker Pine-Shadow pointed out earlier, if Nintendo plays their cards prim and proper and matches the last two Smash DLC cycles then the remaining three packs should be revealed by the end of summer 2021 and that's definitely suspicious given the December 31st, 2021 deadline.

PrinceMallow

Smash Rookie
I feel like if Geno ever gets added it might not be in this game (which would suck because it's truly "ULTIMATE" and there's so many characters so it would be awesome) but in Smash down the line.

I still believe either 2021 or 2022 we're going to get the announcement for SMRPG2. And following that hype, Geno is more likely to be in the next Smash.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Honestly, I glad they stuck with finalized design and not the previous design. That was too over the top and kinda ugly. I'm referring to the prototype designs from the character designer

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I have my doubts about additional characters beyond volume 2, but just the idea of having even more characters added to this massive roster is already enough to get me excited/hopeful.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm confused. Why do people think that we're getting a 3rd Pass or a Mini Pass?
There is literally no reason to think it won't is why.

First off, E3 is happening in 2021 as far as we know, even if it's only digital. This likely means two reveals, since this has been their pattern for years. Of course, it could not happen, but the likelihood is high. Considering that the next character is likely to be revealed and released in early 2021 because of the new Amiibo coming in March, this scenario leaves us with all of Vol 2 revealed by E3. The last character could be stretched out into Winter 2021 if they wanted to but it would likely be another hero/Banjo scenario.

This means that we have all this time left for Smash devs in 2021, plenty of time to have already negotiated for more characters and be working on them by E3 2021.

However, more importantly, Nintendo has been super corporate greed recently, and one of the most recent shows of success for games Smash is like is many waves of DLC that bring original and fan-requested content to the same base game for years. Once again, Tekken 7 is the prime example of this.

Since I made a video about this already, I'll just link my video and have it start at that final part talking about Vol 3. Not because I need views since I never will monetize anything on my channel, but because it's much easier to link a part of a video than time out another three paragraphs.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm confused. Why do people think that we're getting a 3rd Pass or a Mini Pass?
Back in January 2019 it was datamined from the game that there was 16 character dummyslots within World of Light. Once Plant was added to the game, this data was scrubbed along with the "Brave" dataset. Thanks to modding, we discovered that if exactly 16 slots were added onto the character select screen, this was the absolute limit that the game could handle before it would soft lock. We've used this to determine that, outside of an enormous hardware update, 16 DLC characters is the absolute limit Ultimate can handle. The Fighter's Pass plus Season 2 fills 12 of these slots at face value, leaving 4 unaccounted for.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
That small part of me that always clings stubbornly to hope thinks that Geno's still technically possible... but I realize that in order for it to happen, three requirements (I initially said two, but now I just realized there's a third) will have to be met before Ultimate's DLC cycle ends...
  1. Fighters Pass 3, or any other sort of extra DLC beyond Fighters Pass 2, needs to be announed.
  2. A Mii Costume'd character will have to get in and break the "Mii Fighter costumes deconfirm" trend. It would be awesome if Geno himself could do it, but at this point I would expect someone from the base game or first Fighters Pass.
  3. The most important one... Sakurai has to be in charge of picking characters again, not Nintendo.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
There is literally no reason to think it won't is why.

-snip-
It's a good theory, but nothing's really concrete. The most solid point you've provided on the video was that most fighting games released years ago still get numerous DLC post launch in the coming years. It's a pretty good point for the case but Nintendo's treatment of post launch support for online centric games is my main concern for why there will be no FP3.

And this is ignoring the Famitsu column where Sakurai confirmed that Fighter Pass 2 would be the final DLC for the game that leaked back in February.

Back in January 2019 it was datamined from the game that there was 16 character dummyslots within World of Light. Once Plant was added to the game, this data was scrubbed along with the "Brave" dataset. Thanks to modding, we discovered that if exactly 16 slots were added onto the character select screen, this was the absolute limit that the game could handle before it would soft lock. We've used this to determine that, outside of an enormous hardware update, 16 DLC characters is the absolute limit Ultimate can handle. The Fighter's Pass plus Season 2 fills 12 of these slots at face value, leaving 4 unaccounted for.
Ah, I see. A bit of a stretch but it's a better explanation.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, after all the fire blows over from the Mii costume, it's going to be nice to finally have closure and be able to love Geno as much as I want without... quite as much worry about harassment and bullying rofl. Granted, block chains on Twitter definitely help, if y'all have any. My block list is miles and miles long, but it's made my experience much nicer. It's a lot easier to look at other fun Geno content while doing so without a lot of trash being flung in your face.

(Also, anyone got their own personal ideas on what star language sounds like? I'm thinkin' very similar to Luma sounds, given both are derivative star species, but probably with more bells and whistles (in a literal sense). Think like the Star Spirit dialogue sound effect in PM64... ish.

That also means it's worth a giggle because Geno is this super cool character, but in his star form, he's just, "Squeaks??" Marvelous.)

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
It's a good theory, but nothing's really concrete. The most solid point you've provided on the video was that most fighting games released years ago still get numerous DLC post launch in the coming years. It's a pretty good point for the case but Nintendo's treatment of post launch support for online centric games is my main concern for why there will be no FP3.

And this is ignoring the Famitsu column where Sakurai confirmed that Fighter Pass 2 would be the final DLC for the game that leaked back in February.
To be fair, Sakurai says a lot of things and then changes his mind, or possibly fudges the truth to keep Smash surprising. I remember it being mentioned by him a while ago that size was in fact the reason why Ridley wasn't going to be added to smash. and after that, people were taking that as full on confirmation that Ridley would never come to smash.
Then Smash Ultimate happened.

At least, that's what I remember. if I'm wrong, people can feel free to correct me, but the point still stands that the guy, and Nintendo as a whole, are hard to predict. Smash Ultimate has to end at some point, true, but we also don't know what Nintendo's or Sakurai's mindsets are going in to it are.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
To be fair, Sakurai says a lot of things and then changes his mind, or possibly fudges the truth to keep Smash surprising. I remember it being mentioned by him a while ago that size was in fact the reason why Ridley wasn't going to be added to smash. and after that, people were taking that as full on confirmation that Ridley would never come to smash.
Then Smash Ultimate happened.

At least, that's what I remember. if I'm wrong, people can feel free to correct me, but the point still stands that the guy, and Nintendo as a whole, are hard to predict. Smash Ultimate has to end at some point, true, but we also don't know what Nintendo's or Sakurai's mindsets are going in to it are.
True, but ~2-3 years of development appears to be what Nintendo's willing to commit to most games that focus on online gameplay if Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2, etc. are anything to go by.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Assuming the datamined slots are going to be filled, even if the next 3 fighters need 2 slots for some weird alt costume shenanigans that still leaves one more datamined slot left to use.

I think Nintendo's smart enough to know there's some real cash left on the table if they stopped at Vol. 2, especially if they plan on continuing the Switch brand with a Switch Pro before jumping to the next major console idea.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has proven to be a real money maker when it came to DLC. From a business perspective, you leave with more money if you stop things after Vol 3.

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
True, but ~2-3 years of development appears to be what Nintendo's willing to commit to most games that focus on online gameplay if Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2, etc. are anything to go by.
Fair, and I could see this being one of those times Sakurai tells the truth. It's just hard to say for sure given Smash history. Plus, I feel like Smash has, at the very least, potential to be an exception since... Well, I don't have the numbers, but I assume smash DLC is probably among their higher selling thing, so them being persuaded by sales could lead to this all being extended.

You could easily be right about it though. It's a 50/50 shot for me. Maybe 60/40 if I want to be optimistic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom