• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ok real talk: I know we already discussed this but I think those statements regarding the Mario universe being “consistent” and the statements by Tanabe about unique characters really make me think they are the reason why Geno isn’t in. I mean, not counting cameos and rereleases, does anyone know when the last time Toadsworth appeared in a Mario game? It’s felt like way too long considering his importance.
I still still believe the Wahoominati themselves may not be the issue based on what I said on the last page, but maybe, though they have allowed unique characters and variations in games after 2009 and 2012 so idk.

Toadsworth’s situation is strange; Toadette is still used, so why not him? What’s funnier is that Toadette originated in a spinoff, like Waluigi, meanwhile Toadsworth originated in Sunshine :/ He has a spirit in Ultimate, like the RPG characters, but aside from the M&L 3DS remakes and Dream Team, and maybe a cameo in Super Mario Party (not sure, I read this but don’t know if true), that’s it as far as newer games...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do Spirit battles get updated once the relevant spirits are upgraded to Mii costumes, generally?
It's been so far DLC Spirits with DLC Costumes. Not one or the other.

I'd like to have that changed up as is. Like Min Min actually being in her own Spirt Battle, etc.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So unfortunately Geno Looks to be decomfirmed so does everyone else still have at least 1 character they want in smash who’s not deconfirmed yet and if so who’s your character.

mine is professor Layton. We have no puzzle rep to represent the puzzle genre and what other person would represent the puzzle genre better than Layton.

also level 5 currently has no content whatsoever in smash. I believe they’ll get a rep and it’ll be their main mascot professor Layton.

Heoj

Smash Ace
its a bit of a bruh moment, because now that geno is out of the game(imo), I just dont have any personal stakes in speculation. Like geno was my most wanted, and there are still other characters i would love to see like Phoenix Wright and Neku Sakuraba and others like a second sonic character or a zelda character that isnt another triforce user, id also love to see sora or 2b, but like... im just not too invested with actively speculating if it doesnt have anything to do with geno. Like i don't know, maybe this doesnt make much sense as im typing but, with geno gone, i kind of just dont care what happens next with smash.

mangenomeme.png

(btw, seeing that guy with a luffy avatar talk smack about us makes me feel nothing but pain)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Didn't Koopa Kid reappear in Mario Party 5, while Sunshine was still a thing? So he wasn't completely removed, but overall replaced a bit later on.

It's sad too. I feel they made a great general character to use, especially as the Party games don't need to use all 7 Koopalings either. Also, he was clearly a stand-in for them, since they were also called the Koopa Kids(which they aren't even Bowser's children, so. YMMV on how good a decision that is).

The good news is we actually have 9 Koopa-based children. Though I think Koopa Kid has 3 different colors, so more like 11?

Back on track, though, Koopa Kid should appear in a SMRPG sequel.
Yeah, Koopa Kid was in Mario Party 5 and 6 as a playable character. I think he was in 7 but his role was reverted back to being Bowser's minion.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Koopa Kid reappear in Mario Party 5, while Sunshine was still a thing? So he wasn't completely removed, but overall replaced a bit later on.
Yeah, he was gradually phased out and completely replaced with Bowser Jr. in places where he would have been in that Mario Party Top 100 or whatever. I don’t remember where I read it, but I recall someone actually asked Nintendo about him and they straight up said he’d been retired, so that’s that I suppose.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Here's a quick resource for Amiibo release dates. We've calculated that the average gap between character releases and Amiibo waves is roughly 12 days and it has held pretty well. So far we have only had one instance of "roll over" and that was with Steve's Amiibo wave. Originally scheduled for September 18th, this was changed to the 25th and October 2nd (Steve's release was the 13th). This said, with the schedule going back to "normal" in 2021, it's suggested that the 12 day gap for Nein's Amiibo wave lands it at around March 14th or, other direction, April 7th.

This makes sense because there's sort of a distinctive pattern for this: delayed characters get released in the second half of the month (Hero, Byleth, Min Min and Sephiroth), characters released on time get released in the first half (or super close in Joker's case). The very late Amiibo wave in the month suggests that this character will be "on time" so either a first half March release or first half April release. Again, if the world goes back to normal for Smash reveals, this heavily suggests a mid January to early February announcement.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
We know nothing and insiders know nothing, and Sakurai clearly intends to do anything we least expect, so it could happen. Anything could happen, but I will make the bold prediction that Sephiroth is the peak of this pass, the hype man who outdid even Steve. It's all downhill from here, they absolutely cannot outdo this one.

When you look at it like that, a first party character like Porky would be right in line with 10 or 11.
I wish that was true but when it comes to first party characters nintendo only seems to care about what's profitable and advertising. Byleth and min min are from newer games on the switch. Porky isnt. Unless we get an earthbound remake or mother trilogy it's safe to say that corporate nintendo isnt going to budge on him. I hope I'm wrong but honestly my faith in nintendo has kind of dwindled.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Yes.
See: Cuphead, Creeper, and Piglin
It's been so far DLC Spirits with DLC Costumes. Not one or the other.

I'd like to have that changed up as is. Like Min Min actually being in her own Spirt Battle, etc.
In that case I would keep an eye out on if they upgrade Geno's Spirit battle. If they do, I think it's fair to say that's one more nail in the coffin. If they don't... that could be interesting.

Heoj

Smash Ace
So unfortunately Geno Looks to be decomfirmed so does everyone else still have at least 1 character they want in smash who’s not deconfirmed yet and if so who’s your character.

mine is professor Layton. We have no puzzle rep to represent the puzzle genre and what other person would represent the puzzle genre better than Layton.

also level 5 currently has no content whatsoever in smash. I believe they’ll get a rep and it’ll be their main mascot professor Layton.
In terms of still possible all i got left is Phoenix Wright. though i feel like both monster hunter and dante are more likely. Professor Layton seems really cool tho.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish that was true but when it comes to first party characters nintendo only seems to care about what's profitable and advertising. Byleth and min min are from newer games on the switch. Porky isnt. Unless we get an earthbound remake or mother trilogy it's safe to say that corporate nintendo isnt going to budge on him. I hope I'm wrong but honestly my faith in nintendo has kind of dwindled.
I mean, a official Mother 3 localization or Mother Trilogy Collection would benefit Nintendo profitably. But the corporate overheads might not think that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

as a die hard layton fan, I must say, dont hold your breath on that. Trust me, you'll breath better

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Koopa Kid was in Mario Party 5 and 6 as a playable character. I think he was in 7 but his role was reverted back to being Bowser's minion.
I am glad he is playable in 5 and 6. And honestly given Mario Party’s recent state, I guess it doesn’t much matter that he’s been retired.
56780B74-FF31-45C8-9F48-AB86561ECF6F.jpeg

After all, I have this and that’s good enough for me!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Either role is fine with me. Him being used is enough.

Yeah, he was gradually phased out and completely replaced with Bowser Jr. in places where he would have been in that Mario Party Top 100 or whatever. I don’t remember where I read it, but I recall someone actually asked Nintendo about him and they straight up said he’d been retired, so that’s that I suppose.
That's too bad. I'd have kept him in Mario Party. But this is after Jr. was massively use, finally hit Smash, etc. And also when the Koopalings came back from retirement to a much bigger degree. So more or less he didn't serve a purpose anymore. Can't blame them for retiring him.

In that case I would keep an eye out on if they upgrade Geno's Spirit battle. If they do, I think it's fair to say that's one more nail in the coffin. If they don't... that could be interesting.
The thing is? He's a base game spirit battle. It's only spirit battles that are DLC that have a costume or no costume option. So he wouldn't apply. That's why it's for stuff like Cuphead and Mugman, because they're DLC. There's been zero base game spirits who had the possibility of the Mii costume changing it up. Yet.

Unless you mean this is the first time it could change, then yes please.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Dante. Everyone else I want is either deconfirmed or straight up not going to happen
(Unless a lot of important people become real interested in Viewtiful Joe really fast)

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman

I guess if you count Amaterasu from Okami but Geno was really the ONE I wanted to make it in.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Either role is fine with me. Him being used is enough.

That's too bad. I'd have kept him in Mario Party. But this is after Jr. was massively use, finally hit Smash, etc. And also when the Koopalings came back from retirement to a much bigger degree. So more or less he didn't serve a purpose anymore. Can't blame them for retiring him.

The thing is? He's a base game spirit battle. It's only spirit battles that are DLC that have a costume or no costume option. So he wouldn't apply. That's why it's for stuff like Cuphead and Mugman, because they're DLC. There's been zero base game spirits who had the possibility of the Mii costume changing it up. Yet.

Unless you mean this is the first time it could change, then yes please.
What about the Spirit Battles for Mega Man characters?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about the Spirit Battles for Mega Man characters?
Those are DLC Spirits and DLC Costumes.

We've only seen costumes replace them in that situation, when it was a DLC spirit.

In other words, it could change, but right now precedent does not suggest it.

...Wait, did the MegaMan costumes get used for the MegaMan related spirit battles(if you have the costume downloaded) and I didn't know?!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. The spirit battles are meant to not be one for one which is why, for example, Min Min's spirit battle is still Corrin and not herself. In the event Geno got in as a playable character, the spirit battle would remain Sheik/the Mii costume either way.

Those are DLC Spirits and DLC Costumes.

We've only seen costumes replace them in that situation, when it was a DLC spirit.

In other words, it could change, but right now precedent does not suggest it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about this. It's very inconsistent too.

Last edited:

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
its a bit of a bruh moment, because now that geno is out of the game(imo), I just dont have any personal stakes in speculation. Like geno was my most wanted, and there are still other characters i would love to see like Phoenix Wright and Neku Sakuraba and others like a second sonic character or a zelda character that isnt another triforce user, id also love to see sora or 2b, but like... im just not too invested with actively speculating if it doesnt have anything to do with geno. Like i don't know, maybe this doesnt make much sense as im typing but, with geno gone, i kind of just dont care what happens next with smash.

View attachment 296228

(btw, seeing that guy with a luffy avatar talk smack about us makes me feel nothing but pain)
My feelings exactly

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Speaking of 0.75, that exam I took yesterday? I failed that class by 0.75%.
Cursed number.
First it was "someone stupid", then a $0.75 Mii Costume, then that.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
I mean, a official Mother 3 localization or Mother Trilogy Collection would benefit Nintendo profitably. But the corporate overheads might not think that.
A mario rpg remake and geno in smash would have benefited them financially too but where did that get us? As much as I want an official translation it's probably not happening.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
While I have said I was a Geno supporter only to see people be happy, that didn't feel like it was enough to me, so today I went with my sister to this store where they sell old video games to try and get some consoles repaired. And while we were there, I picked up a physical copy of Legend of the Seven Stars so I can get the full experience.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I still still believe the Wahoominati themselves may not be the issue based on what I said on the last page, but maybe, though they have allowed unique characters and variations in games after 2009 and 2012 so idk.

Toadsworth’s situation is strange; Toadette is still used, so why not him? What’s funnier is that Toadette originated in a spinoff, like Waluigi, meanwhile Toadsworth originated in Sunshine :/ He has a spirit in Ultimate, like the RPG characters, but aside from the M&L 3DS remakes and Dream Team, and maybe a cameo in Super Mario Party (not sure, I read this but don’t know if true), that’s it...
they obviously don't use toadsworth cause he ****in died. RIP

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
While I have said I was a Geno supporter only to see people be happy, that didn't feel like it was enough to me, so today I went with my sister to this store where they sell old video games to try and get some consoles repaired. And while we were there, I picked up a physical copy of Legend of the Seven Stars so I can get the full experience.
Very nice. Playing games on their original console just hits different

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I could see a good number of my mains getting cut in the next game if half of the roster get's cut. But I would still be willing to play Smash 6 if more of my wants get in and all the missing modes from the past games like Break the Targets, Board the Platform, Smash Run, and Boss Rush Mode all come back.
my mains won't be cut because I main kirby and bowser, but yeah, a lot of characters will be cut

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean Bass from megaman
He's basically the shadow the hedgehog of that series

View attachment 296231
I know who you meant. But you can't have a Bass mention without a good fish joke at this point.

...Or I can't. Let's just say old roleplaying history. Cause Bass is not a fish. >.>

Incidentally, I would choose Bass for a MegaMan Echo as is. Since you don't have Shield issues like Proto Man. Though I'm not sure if the bodyshape is correct, so...

Urso_Ornitier

Smash Apprentice
So, now that I have an account to post with, here is my thoughts on Geno after the presentation. I am sure everyone wants to know.

(Disclaimer: This is not based on any sort of leaked or non-confirmed, this is based solely on how things played out yesterday and my opinion following it all)

I believe Geno still has a chance to make it in.

1. Geno not being deluxe actually makes me feel good here. We have plenty of characters that are playing and have generic costume attributes. I don’t think the order they are presented in matter, just that this fact exists.

2. No music tracks coming with Geno, but two tracks being taken down specifically by Nintendo doesn’t sit correctly with me. If it was just Forest that was taken down, I wouldn’t be skeptical about it. Having two being taken and only one used is weird.

The tracks being taken down by Nintendo make me want to believe that Nintendo now owns the rights to these songs. Providing no foul play is at hand. We all know how sketchy YouTube’s copyright system is.

3. Sakurai said not a word about Geno. This is very out of character. He knows the level of love this character has and he shares this sentiment with us. He knows the level of support Geno is getting and if he feels this is going to be a permanent blow, he would have said something. I am basing this completely off of Sakurai’s character.

Until he says something in a famitsu column, we’re pretty safe.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman

My current “dead in the water” wants are:
-Geno
-Skull Kid
-Shadow
-Midna
-Dimitri(although not as bad since Byleth is in now)
-Tails or Knuckles just because of wanting any new Sonic rep
-Melia
-Akira Howard

My “unlikely” wants are:
-Waluigi
-Dixie
-Dr. Eggman
-Bandanna Dee
-Porky
-Sylux
-Doom Slayer
-Master Chief

And the only character I want that hasn’t been truly deconfirmed in any way is Crash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, come to think of it, the "Mii costume Swap outs" are really inconsistent:

Tails- No
Knuckles- No
Veronica-No
Slime- No
Zero- No
Protoman- No