• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
People are genuinely really happy hes a costume. Even in the comments of things like choctopus and papa genos and even the reveal vids hes still getting **** even though hes already gone. I really hate this community. One of the worst in all of gaming. Also I dont care what anybody says, Im not grateful for this stupid ****ing costume. Back in smash 4 it was cool. Now it's just a giant middle finger to the fans.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If things were easy then we wouldn't be the Geno fanbase:

4odxtw.jpg

Like I've been repeating forever, getting BTFO at seemingly the worst possible time is why this fanbase always bounces back so hard each and every single time. "Yes, things didn't go your way but did it kill you?" The answer is no. I don't think anybody has ever died from raw disappointment or even failure. As one of the oldest ones here, I hope you younger guys understand that and don't let hiccups totally derail your ambitions.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
The smash community everyone!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
disgusting. i hate that this kind of behavior is so widespread on twitter and i truly don't want to be part of it anymore. i can't even make an innocent tweet trying to push for positivity in our fandom without people "clowning" on me and the rest of us. i can't stand that place any longer...

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Man, remember when Geno was the only mii costume to get a splash screen in Smash 4? It feels like we got less in Ultimate than what we did in Smash 4.

I really want to say that Geno might still have a shot with his mii costume being untouched, but that isn’t right. We can’t say that Heihachi’s costume and Travis’ costume are deconfirmations and then turn around and say that Geno is still in the ring. It doesn’t really work like that, but I just can’t help hoping.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
disgusting. i hate that this kind of behavior is so widespread on twitter and i truly don't want to be part of it anymore. i can't even make an innocent tweet trying to push for positivity in our fandom without people "clowning" on me and the rest of us. i can't stand that place any longer...
I'm glad I never made a twitter account in the first place. **** twitter. It's a toxic cesspool and everything I hate about humanity

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Apprentice
While I have more or less accepted this outcome, it still feels very disappointing.

My family has struggled with money for a while, so we never had been able to afford a switch, but a couple months ago, we managed to get one as an early Christmas present, and I've been waiting for forever to finally boot it up and get some games for it, but knowing that a big fan-favorite was deconfirmed before that could happen? Yeah, it really, REALLY sucks.

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Like, holy lord, I don't think I've ever seen so much vitriol over such an innocuous thing. We support a cute character from a video game. It makes no sense to receive this level of hate from so many people for it.
The worst and most insulting thing is, if this happened to Sora or Dante people on Twitter would be upset and sad but because it happened to Geno they act like complete and utter dbags to everyone that supports the guy.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Man, remember when Geno was the only mii costume to get a splash screen in Smash 4? It feels like we got less in Ultimate than what we did in Smash 4.

I really want to say that Geno might still have a shot with his mii costume being untouched, but that isn’t right. We can’t say that Heihachi’s costume and Travis’ costume are deconfirmations and then turn around and say that Geno is still in the ring. It doesn’t really work like that, but I just can’t help hoping.
The fact that Sakurai was like "Heeyyy, look guys!! We got Aerith, Tifa and Barret!!!!! ....... Ok, moving on" hurt more than I'd like to admit lol

domriver

Smash Lord
My Geno bros. Its done. Even though i was just average poster - checking in on the latest speculation and enjoy reading predictions and reasonings and what not. I still do not take back any of it. This was an absolute wild ride. Of course this was expected but the very least i thought Sakurai would upgrade Geno Mii with a song. How wrong I was. Im very disappointed but we just gotta move on now. Maybe for the next installment of smash? I don't know ill be in my 40's by the time the new smash is out. So not sure if i will return. Its been fun everyone. Please be safe and all.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Like, holy lord, I don't think I've ever seen so much vitriol over such an innocuous thing. We support a cute character from a video game. It makes no sense to receive this level of hate from so many people for it.
I know right??? It's not even simple disappointment or a little anger either, people are just hellbent on bringing us down and dance on our graves just because we support one character who they themselves deem "unimportant". If it matters so little, it makes you wonder why they try so hard to **** on us...

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Being obscure isn't an issue for characters to get in, but I suppose being too obscure is. I can imagine both Nintendo and Square Enix could give two ****s about Geno or the fact that people want him. There's really no incentive for them to add him in. It's not like I can exactly blame them. He's a character from a 24-year-old game that hasn't seen the light of day since. And he's not even the protagonist. The fact that he's not owned by Nintendo hurts his chances even further. It does go to show that not all big fan requests are going to automatically get in. So, take this as a warning before suggesting and supporting a character. It's sad, of course, but it is what it is. I'm truly sorry, Geno fans.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If things were easy then we wouldn't be the Geno fanbase:

View attachment 296095

Like I've been repeating forever, getting BTFO at seemingly the worst possible time is why this fanbase always bounces back so hard each and every single time. "Yes, things didn't go your way but did it kill you?" The answer is no. I don't think anybody has ever died from raw disappointment or even failure. As one of the oldest ones here, I hope you younger guys understand that and don't let hiccups totally derail your ambitions.
I don't think I could've put it better myself. Also, I never saw purple names, is that a special thing?

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
Also addendum to my previous post just in-case:

It's perfectly fine to mourn, to feel saddened by the Geno Mii Costume. I for one feel incredibly disappointed I wish he at least got better treatment than in Smash 4 like a Deluxe Mii and a Song but that's just how the dice rolls. It's okay to feel saddened or tired so if you need to step back do so that's understandable. Rest up, Come back tomorrow, in a week or even a month from now. Take all the time you need fellas but do not give up.

A lot of us have been fighting so long for Geno, five years, ten years, twenty years, And I admire that but think about it this way: If you've fought so long already what's another 5-7 years? We should continue this fight even in-between Smash Games like K. Rool fans did and how did that turn out? Look for yourselves. Even if it's just me, I'll be here fighting until I can't fight no longer but I can't do it alone. We can't do it as an individual but as a collective, as a fanbase maybe we can achieve something greater. But for now, if you need to rest you should go do so kings and queens. I and I hope others will be here continuing the good fight.

Plus, personally if there was someone to disconfirm Geno I'm glad it was Sephiroth just due to how iconic he is. How big of a name he is and he really did right the prior wrongs of FF7's content for me but until you're ready to continue the good fight sleep well, fellas cause we have a long road ahead of us.

Droodle

Smash Lord

It's been upgraded, obviously not to the extent that it has a face mask; but it does look higher quality than the one we got in Smash 4. Heihachi and Gil also received small improvements for their Smash 4 costumes too.

But yeah, I think Geno is probably dead :(, unless we get another pass or bonus fighters (and it hasn't started "planning" phase, yet); and even then the chances he gets upgraded are pretty slim. If any mii costume is getting upgraded, it's probably Rex more so than Geno (and even the chances of that happening are iffy at best). Hopefully next time...

It was nice talking to y'all, I'll probably be in newcomer speculation or discord so see you guys.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I don't think I could've put it better myself. Also, I never saw purple names, is that a special thing?
Doubly agree.
Part of the reason why so many of us have been around so long.
Like I'd said in another post, there's still a slim shot. I default assume he's only a mii gunner costume, but I still hesitate to say he's totally out till I see there're no more characters left.

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
I’m actually shaking right now, I have no idea what to think anymore
I understand very well how you feel, just keep in mind that this is just video game, and that life has much, MUUUCH more to offer.

That's actually a good reflection to all of us, perhaps we are spending too much time of our lives in video games, but there are so many more things to do...

Stay safe and try to open your mind to different directions in life. At least this is my advice for you, for me, and for many here on this thread.

I wish you all the best! :)

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Being obscure isn't an issue for characters to get in, but I suppose being too obscure is. I can imagine both Nintendo and Square Enix could give two ****s about Geno or the fact that people want him. There's really no incentive for them to add him in. It's not like I can exactly blame them. He's a character from a 24-year-old game that hasn't seen the light of day since. And he's not even the protagonist. The fact that he's not owned by Nintendo hurts his chances even further. It does go to show that not all big fan requests are going to automatically get in. So, take this as a warning before suggesting and supporting a character. It's sad, of course, but it is what it is. I'm truly sorry, Geno fans.
Yep. Just look at what happened with characters like Isaac or Krystal, who too have been demanded by fans since the Brawl era.

The unfortunate truth is that some characters just aren't important or notable enough to Sakurai/Nintendo/etc to be playable, regardless of fan demand. That's kinda why stuff like assist trophies or Mii outfits exist, as consolation prizes for the smaller guys.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
Guys, I realize this doesn't look great for us, but it's not over yet. Take a look at this:

Yeah, it was looking good when Geno was one of the very few Mii costumes that didn't return. But the Inkling, Chrom, Isabelle, and King K. Rool costumes all came back in the base game, and despite this, they actually became full fledged characters. Looking at that above image and the rate we've been getting returning costumes, it seems pretty clear that every single costume will be returning at some point. Why exactly? I don't know. Sakurai might be a completionist, or it might just be easier to port things over from Smash 4 rather than making completely new costumes. But regardless, this doesn't confirm anything. The fact that Sakurai didn't mention a word about Geno when he was the only Mii costume to get a splash screen last game should be enough to raise an eyebrow. If he was a deluxe Mii costume, which would signify the developers put more work into him than just porting him over, then I would say it's over. But it looks like we're still in this.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
The worst part about Geno being deconfirmed is not that we most likely won't get playable Geno. The worst part is dealing with this stuck-up and despiteful community. I posted about how upset I was over Geno being a Mii Outfit in a Smash Facebook group and everyone was laughing at me and telling me no one cares and to keep crying, and people telling me to wait until Smash 6 for his outfit to come back again. It is absolutely disgusting to get joy out of other people's disappointment and it honestly makes me want to burst in to tears. Usually I'm not a sensitive person but this s*** gets to me. It feels like a bunch of school bullies are harassing me all at once, and oh boy I am no stranger to getting bullied. I know a bully when I see one and bullies take up a large portion of the community, especially bullies who target us Geno supporters.

I just wanted Geno more then ever rn because I just wanted redemption after the countless harassment in the past and it sucks I'm gonna have to deal with this for the next few years. I'm honestly not sure how I'll put up with it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mainly I'm just looking out for the younger fans here because, for them, this was my Brawl. When Geno was deconfirmed in Brawl, I was mad for a long time and I lashed out at a lot of people. It was especially hard back then because it was "over-over" and Sakurai even made it a point to say the Wii was too weak to handle DLC. I kind of had to process my emotions myself because Brawl was kind of the first game where character speculation was really a thing. Like I said, there's still a year left but this is a big deal if you've never gone through this as a Smash fan.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
We need to vote with our wallets... let's all buy Geno's Mii costume.
SPITTIN FAX KINO BASED

For real I think that may have been a massive downfall we had in Ultimate, We really didn't give them enough incentive to add Geno in the financial sense. At the end of the day Square and Nintendo are businesses and while we like the products we make they need financial incentive to add him and if there's enough purchases of the Geno Mii and a continuous push? Maybe they'll see his demand, specifically Square I think really needs that incentive.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Have we now given up on Geno getting into the game or are we still holding out hope?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
To twist the expression a bit they at least seem to give one **** about him. He’s one of probably less than a hundred characters who got a mii costume, and there are THOUSANDS who could have gotten one. It says “this character is important enough to gaming to be recognized in smash” and I really think that is something special. Geno got a costume before someone like Crono, Terra, 2B, Noctis, Neku, etc., even before other FF7 characters. As long as they care a bit, there’s hope he’ll be in one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom