• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Sorry everyone for what happened! Wished there was a deluxe Mii at least but y'know Square Enix is terrible at negotiating properties at least he's back and I think he looks more detailed than his Smash 4 version.

I'd definitely consider purchasing the costume for supporting the character. Not saying to buy it if you don't want it but Nintendo is a corporation overall and they respond mostly to people speaking with their wallets. That's probably the most direct way to support the character but I understand being disappointed.

Anyways, Smash as a series is not over and Geno got high on Trending for a bit I think at some point it's bound to happen. Also, he's the ONLY non-FF Square property represented here and frankly I think that's a pretty high honor. Out of all the Square properties that they were able to get Geno is the only one represented here and I think that's cool.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We had to wait until the end of those games because Geno got literally nothing in Brawl and only got the costume at the end of Smash 4. This feels like a completely different situation. Why are you making Geno the exception here? If Heihachi's Costume and the Resident Evil spirits are death pins against those franchises, why is it not for Geno?
Well, in truth, they're only dead because we say they are. Sakurai doesn't care too much for fan rules and Sephiroth himself broke several so it's back to waiting and speculating.

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
The Geno costume is ugly, but I guess I'll buy him if only to show there's demand from him. I'm not a fan of buying Miis.

I've noticed a lot of hate for this board and Geno fans in general, especially from Gamefaqs. Some of the nastiest, cruelest remarks I've encountered. It feels like all the insults are mostly projection, because most Geno fans are simply mourning, not running rampant.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Just swinging by to express some sympathy, as all. Guess we'll never know why Square is against allowing Geno in. Not even a deluxe Mii Costume, at least. Can't truthfully say that this was surprising for me.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I don't blame people for jumping ship. The next Smash game won't be for a while and by then, most of Geno's would-be supporters will be pushing forty. Given the size of the roster and the fact that the newcomers were going to be low for the base game, the DLC had to count. For a lot of fandoms, this was the last chance to see some vindication. Geno's fandom is just another group that got left in the dust. Yeah, there's the next game but do you really want to wait a potential decade to finally get one or two characters that should have been in this game in a roster that's around 30-ish at most? Kinda defeats the purpose, right? Again, look at that mural on that site.

LOOK AT IT. This is why people are sad. if you aren't on that mural as a playable fighter, you don't matter to the Smash fandom. Even characters like Morgana and the de-facto face of Dragon Quest starting from the first game are present. I'm not saying don't be happy with the Geno costume or don't buy it, do what you want. But for damn sure see what people are disappointed over. This is it. You won't see an official game with this big of a roster again, probably not for a very long time. All of you guys who throwing in the towel, I'm in your corner. Unfortunately for me, I have a full year to see if the rest of that pass is worth shelling out money for, so my fight is still going on. But to the ones who are admitting defeat:

You fought long enough.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, that's that I guess. Geno Mii Costume's back, completely untouched. Kind of disappointing, I really thought they might actually make it into a full-on, Sans-esque outfit.

Putting that aside, everything else was pretty great:
  • 9 FINAL FANTASY TRACKS! I legit didn't actually think they'd do it, but they went and blew my modest expectatious out of the goddamned water.
  • Tifa, Barret and Aerith Mii Costumes. I thought the former two were possible but I didn't think we'd get that plus Aerith.
  • Sephiroth looks pretty sick. His gimmick is kind of weird, though: Basically Arsene buffs mixed with Terry's GO! Mechanic but it only activates when you suck balls and pretty much never activates when you don't.
  • Northern Cave looks pretty nice, and it might even be legal from what we've seen of it.
  • Sephiroth's Classic Mode looks amazing. I love the boss fights in this game, so being able to fight them all one after another will be pretty fun. Though a part of me just wishes that they'd give us a proper Boss Battles mode.
  • For five days, you can fight Sephiroth and play as him early if you win. A neat little gimmick, though I really wish it wasn't a five-day only thing.
  • Sephiroth drops on the 22nd, which isn't exactly Christmas, but it's close enough.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Well, in truth, they're only dead because we say they are. Sakurai doesn't care too much for fan rules and Sephiroth himself broke several so it's back to waiting and speculating.
The only hope I would say is left is if there's a third Fighter's Pass. If Geno was in FP2, why would they bring the costume back?

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess I should say something before we go back to hibernate.

Geno Mii Costume, the dreaded thing has returned and while I'm trying my best to not cry, I also feel like they could have at least given us the deluxe treatment for making us wait for so long to only get our hopes shattered. Or even a song... Just one small "sorry we didn't get you what you wanted but here's a lil' something else".

For now, there is no doubt, Geno won't be coming as a fighter for this Smash's generation. Unless they wanna throw another fan rule of "Mii Costume= Death", I doubt it will happen.

But, as much as it pains me to say it, we had a good run this time around. I enjoyed the various rumors we've heard and it's been a real treat to get to know you guys over in Discord, even if I wasn't all that active at times.

Is it the end of this? No, not for me at least. He may not return to us again because Square Enix has misplaced his head somewhere but we can still try to hold on our hope that he may do so in the next Smash game or that we can play Super Mario RPG again.

Goodbye Geno, so long for now. Hope to see you again soon.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I think what bothers me the most is that they used Forest Maze in the trailer but it’s not with the costume. Heck I’d pay an extra 75 cents if I had to. Maybe if we get another pass for a hypothetical smash ballot 2 we could get him but I think this is it. It was fun while it lasted though. Guess I’ll start playing mii gunner.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ay. Weed here. Have not been in this place for literal months, and even then I didn't really pop in all that often.

I'm gonna say what y'allz have probably heard here a billion times over already, sorry for your loss, yada yada yada.....but also, I genuinely feel worse about this than I usually do about character deconfirmations. Like, he didn't get anything. No music track, no updated costume, not even any passing acknowledgement...****, man, that's gotta hurt. I'm not even trying to phone it in with the "ah well sorry for x character's fans, i guess", I don't even care for Geno and yet I felt the pain.

Best piece of advice I can probably give right now is to keep on keepin' on. Geno's almost definitely dead for now, but keep your chins up for the future of Smash as a whole. Shift the focus of your support from "Geno for Smash Ultimate" back to "Geno for Smash", period. Again, he's likely not getting in now, but at least continue supporting him for Smash in general so he doesn't fade back out. I myself feel sad that I joined active Smashboards speculation too late to keep my older MWs alive. I don't blame you for getting upset at this, but if you throw in the towel forever, then he's not getting in ever. I wasn't there to save some of my bois from dying out, and I want you people to avert that. Just don't get too Pepe Silvia-y about it, mmkay?

Have a good one. Weed OUT :194:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only hope I would say is left is if there's a third Fighter's Pass. If Geno was in FP2, why would they bring the costume back?
Fair question. Why did they bring K. Rool's costume back? Why did they bring Gil back when maybe like 5 people bought it? Could be a completion thing but, like I said, I consider Geno not going deluxe to be a dodged bullet so I'll see what happens in the next year. In the grand scheme of things, it's a small obstacle.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice it seems like kind of weird that sakurai didnt even acknowledge geno, do you have any theory’s on why that is?

for the rest of you (and me) i am super super sorry. This sucks but we get thru it and move on

Troykv

Smash Master
Considering the size of your support I think is just right I post here.

Geno's Journey is likely over, but you have done pretty well, despite how ridículous the idea could look to many, despite all this years in obscurity... I... Symphatize with that feeling, so, I wish you all good luck.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno fell over2.png

Well this sucks.

Personally, I think Sephiroth seems cool, and I'm happy we got the costume over nothing.

Still disappointed it's not a premium or deluxe, though, even if touched up a little, and of course still disappointed he's not playable.

I'm still mostly content personally, but there are still characters I'd love to see get in, and Geno is one of them, so hopefully he can be added in the future, like in the next game, or a port with new stuff.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
seeing the cacomallow twitter thread about geno trending and reading the replies is just pretty damn disgusting man, think its best we just dip out of the smash scene for a while
Yeah, it's really bad out there, but the bright side is that I'm seeing a lot of people coming out to defend Geno's fan base. I think the toxicity reaching a fever pitch has finally shown people just how terrible things can get, all because we like a cute little character.

Maybe the community can learn from this. I don't expect it to — there's a reason why I've sworn off touching Ultimate for a long time — but eh.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Fair question. Why did they bring K. Rool's costume back? Why did they bring Gil back when maybe like 5 people bought it? Could be a completion thing but, like I said, I consider Geno not going deluxe to be a dodged bullet so I'll see what happens in the next year. In the grand scheme of things, it's a small obstacle.
Very true, forgot they even brought those costumes back. Thankfully, I'm also able to let this slide off my back pretty easily. I've been waiting for Mother 3 for over a decade, so I don't mind playing the waiting game. If Geno ends up coming at some point, it'll be a pleasant surprise. Same attitude for Mother 3. Don't think either is likely, but man that announcement would slap me in the face with joy.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
Listen y'all I know we had our differences, I know we had a falling out but allow me to say: I'm a Geno fan too, I'm mourning too. Geno not even getting a deluxe mii costume or a Song? That hurts. It's over.... For This Game.

Our chance at being in Ultimate is over but we should never give up or we really never will get in Smash, Any Smash game. They will keep looking us over and over again if we give up now. We gave up during Smash 4, really our community was not as big as it was then but when the going gets rough we have to adapt.

Did the K. Rool fans give up when they got Mii Costume'd alongside us last game? NO. They stood their ground, grit their teeth and got to work and look how far it got them. Did the Ridley fans give up when they were a boss two games in a row? NO. They didn't even hesitate to get to work.

We got closure, for this game and that's more than can be said for a lot of characters more well known than Geno. We're lucky if you look at it that way and while it does suck we did not get Geno we have to work and work and work until we do. It may get hard, You may feel like we should give up but NEVER give up or we really will lose our chance at being in Smash in any game.

Do we want Geno or do we want to have the aesthetic of being a Geno fan and be depressed? Personally, I want Geno. I came here initially for Geno in Smash, we may not have gotten that this game but we can in the future if we work for it. Advocate harder, Push Harder, Do everything you can to get him in.

Make Fanart, Make Fanfiction, Make Movesets and Videos about him, Make songs or Drawings about him, Or even just continue to talk and push for him through text and messages, anything you specialize in utilize it. We should and shall not give up.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just because you think it's cool doesn't mean it makes up for the character this thread is literally about being deconfirmed in the worst way possible. I just don't see one character getting in over another being a consolation prize for the character that got deconfirmed. What Geno got was a ****ty mii costume and a .png.
Yep, and it's time to move on. You can either always be upset about what happened, or you can look at the bright side, and that side is Sephiroth.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't blame people for jumping ship. The next Smash game won't be for a while and by then, most of Geno's would-be supporters will be pushing forty. Given the size of the roster and the fact that the newcomers were going to be low for the base game, the DLC had to count. For a lot of fandoms, this was the last chance to see some vindication. Geno's fandom is just another group that got left in the dust. Yeah, there's the next game but do you really want to wait a potential decade to finally get one or two characters that should have been in this game in a roster that's around 30-ish at most? Kinda defeats the purpose, right? Again, look at that mural on that site.

LOOK AT IT. This is why people are sad. if you aren't on that mural as a playable fighter, you don't matter to the Smash fandom. Even characters like Morgana and the de-facto face of Dragon Quest staring from the first game are present. I'm not saying don't be happy with the Geno costume or don't buy it, do what you want. But for damn sure see what people are disappointed over. This is it. You won't see an official game with this big of a roster again, probably not for a very long time. All of you guys who throwing in the towel, I'm in your corner. Unfortunately for me, I have a full year to see if the rest of that pass is worth shelling out money for, so my fight is still going on. But to the ones who are admitting defeat:

You fought long enough.
Yeah this pretty much sums up how I'm feeling. Yeah there will be a new game, but it won't be SSBU which is basically an event celebrating videogame history. A mii costume from 2014 and a spirit is a pittance compared to seeing your favorite characters interact and be playable. And at this point I'm 31 and have already spent 3 years here stressing out about this character. I love Geno and SMRPG will be fighting for them to return somehow, but thinking he's going to magically appear after they're selling people a mii costume of him feels delusional at this point. And I don't feel like spending the next decade clinging onto the hope that he may make it in a game Sakurai more or less said won't happen or if it does will be drastically different. If he does get in? That'll be awesome and I will be very happy. But it won't be the same. He won't be on the mural. And I don't see myself investing as much hope in him getting into Smash specifically in the future more than an SMRPG reboot or appearing in a future Mario title. A lot of things seemed like they were lining up for him but they didn't. Mallow getting in as a costume is probably the most that fans can hope for at this point on the off chance Cacomallow is real.

Yep, and it's time to move on. You can either always be upset about what happened, or you can look at the bright side, and that side is Sephiroth.
Stop lecturing me please.

Last edited:

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
well, ** my life, and ** smash. damn it...
Dude please... say **** Smash, **** Nintendo, **** Square Enix, **** etc...

But please don't say **** my life, life is much, MUCH more than video games.

I perfectly understand you though, you have ALL the right to be angry, frustrated, etc, just take care of your life, ok? Your life is the most precious thing you have, it's not ****ing Smash, ****ing Nintendo, etc.

Take care, I wish the best for you.:)

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Dude please... say ** Smash, ** Nintendo, ** Square Enix, ** etc...

But please don't say **** my life, life is much, MUCH more than video games.

I perfectly understand you though, you have ALL the right to be angry, frustrated, etc, just take care of your life, ok? Your life is the most precious thing you have, it's not ****ing Smash, ****ing Nintendo, etc.

Take care, I wish the best for you.:)
that was more so just an exaggerated expression to show how much i was angry, but i understand what you mean. regardless of what happens, life goes on and we should make the best out of it. so, thanks. :)

Grumbo

Smash Ace
For everyone saying we won’t have an Ultimate 2, I am 100% certain that Nintendo will do everything they can to keep the full roster. This game sold like hot cakes, and so has most the dlc. The only concerns I have are Square and Konami. Square seems to have thankfully relaxed and they’ve definitely made bank on the dlc. Konami has always been a party pooper and they have no dlc (yet) but hopefully they won’t be the odd one out.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
RIP ! Deluxe geno mii costume head BUT at least he is here

the way i see it is geno is a star who possesed a toy but in smash he posseses a Mii fighter so here is here as far as I am concerened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom