• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
Well, that's it. Let's not forget that this isn't Nintendo or Sakurai's fault. I'm not saying this to be petty, but in all honesty, **** Square Enix. They waited until the 2nd Square character to do this, Geno doesn't look to have any significant remodeling, and it's not even a deluxe. Sakurai didn't even mention him. Square Enix can make some the best games in the world that resonate in the hearts of many gamers worldwide. But, in the end, it's all about ludicrously complex copyright and how SE looks in modern times. I will still support Smash Ultimate and the other games going forward, but Square Enix still does not listen to everyone. Sephiroth is an amazing inclusion and he toppled many Japanese polls from what I hear. Yet to treat a character who arguably has a more worldwide following is blatantly cruel and disrespectful.

I've watched this thread for a year now, but I'd really hate for it to fall apart with this revelation. Y'all can do whatever you please with buying the costume, but maybe we can still stay here to talk about speculation in general. This is a really cool community (with almost 4000 pages!) and I wish it to stay that way. Thank you guys for the hype!

Last edited:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
My doubts are a bit higher than before, but to be honest? I'm still not giving up on the hope for Geno. I'm not going to say it will for sure happen, as that's not based on anything beyond what we already had, but I'm still not counting him out.
I mean, I see no point in counting him out entirely when it WAS just a normal mii costume.
I said if he was a costume that it would be a copy and paste from Smash 4 and not deluxe. Like I said a few days ago, interesting turn of events but I'll take it.
And that's why you're the king.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So, i'm really sorry folks, this is how it ends. If you look at my previous posts, I didn't have any hope left after the Sephiroth reveal. But WOW, they really did him dirty, no Deluxe Mii, no music track, nothing. Again, i'm really, really sorry, but you should've expected this a week ago. Not trying to pat myself on the back in hindsight, i'm genuinuely as upset as you guys are, the difference is that this is how I felt one week ago.

Last edited:

The DoE

Smash Rookie
This just makes me think that Sakurai didn't even tried to get Geno. Or at least that he never considered it (even though he was considered in Brawl).

Not a modeled-head, not a single mention towards Geno's popularity... He actually mentioned the other costumes but Geno.

I thought that a bad ending like this at least would leave me with no questions, but honestly it's the opposite. What was the point of handling Geno's OLD costume for so long? Why isn't a BTFM track included? Why he didn't even mentioned it since it pretty much contrasts with the other FF-based costumes?

Something tells me that we're wrong thinking that Sakurai at least tried to put Geno into the game, when he's actually treating it worse than other fan-requested characters like Cuphead or Sans.

Truth hurts, more than it should.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
How the f is Sora has been saved?
I’m bummed that Geno didn’t get a Deluxe costume, but an hour or two ago this whole board was saying if Geno’s costume wasn’t announced tonight then he was saved and could still come later. Sora’s wasn’t shown today so by that mindset it has to be the same. I don’t think Sora is likely, but at the moment he would be a cash cow (given they could work out licensing).

Also, almost positive that they showed the Mii costumes first so that he could do the demo against Cloud’s whole party. Don’t think that was Geno related at all.

It is a bummer that Sakurai mentioned Geno a while back but I feel that Sakurai likes a lot of games and characters, who’s to say how serious he ever considered it I guess.

Sorry it ended this way with the Smash 4 costume though, I was really rooting for at least a Deluxe with a song or two. Geno is still a cool character from a great game, maybe there’ll be some sort of remake or rerelease in the future!

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Although Geno seems very unlikely now, I wouldn't say its impossible that he shows up.
Idk, I've always felt that him "posessing" a mii could kind of play into his lore a tad. So its possible that the introduction of his mii costume is a segway to that.

From what I can tell, Nintendo/Sakurai definitely want these characters to come as a surprise. Most of the fan base has already written off Geno now that his costume has appeared, but for the very same reason thats what makes him a decent pick for that surprise factor. You just never know.

Overall,Sakurai and Nintendo will do whatever they want with the roster. There are patterns sure, but eventually those patterns perceived by fans eventually get broken by something.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I thought he was the most likely newcomer for Ultimate, maybe even more so than Inkling, but we have to have the plant because that's so hilarious and clever guys, right?!
A long while I've been wondering about the recurring omission of Toad in the mural with increasingly more NPC's from other Fighters appearing there over him (such as taunt-only Slime or Morgana). Nevertheless, him getting little to no fan-air otherwise used to sting me quite a long while especially from the similarly dashed Smash 4-era.

But I eventually, I would have to move on. It's ultimately more important that there's a place of demand for Captain Toad outside Smash.

I sincerely do hope we'll see a SMRPG-remake or other kind of revival for that very reason. The currently deserted genre of Mario-RPGs is in dire need for a Saviour. Maybe Geno's true mission could be at hand there...

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Ftr

I am probably still going to check the thread before reveals out of sheer loyalty on the off chance Geno gets in anyway. I don’t think he will but I’m checking til all the DLC are exhausted out of principle.

Regardless, this has made me realize that I love the ride regardless of the end result

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dude, come on. Stop stringing these people along. It's over, just accept the loss and let them mourn.
People have the option to give up if they want. I certainly can't stop them, no matter what mystic powers I supposedly have. Free will and all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It’s definitely Squares. They haven’t used Geno in years, hell they didn’t even let Nintendo keep the cameo he had in Mario and Luigi. They clearly don’t want anything to do with Geno and want to focus on their upcoming projects, hence why anytime a square games comes out it’s getting spirits or content in smash.
While yes Square is probably guilty. They have every right to want their most iconic and successful projects/properties in the game.

However I doubt it's all Square. Mario's team can be luke warm to the success of even new characters like Rosalina. I can only imagine they would look at Geno and wonder why him when they have effort put into so many other still active Mario characters.

Geno's lack of inclusion is on NUMEROUS things. Not just Square being the "villain."

BoringName

Smash Rookie
I feel like all I can really do now is just laugh about it and attempt to move on. I feel like I can finally be free of this curse that is geno speculation, but I also feel like I’m going insane.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So, I just realized that Sora wasn't showcased as a Mii. At least Geno is in Smash in some way. It's better than nothing.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
If any of you want my advice, stay away from any place like Twitter, 4chan, Gamefaqs etc. for now, unless you want people to **** on you remorselessly. Everyone is in the "Geno is deconfirmed" party and will do anything in their way to ruin your day. Such is the way of the internet.

Actually, not using any of these sites ever is a good idea too, you know...

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It has been a long journey folks.

It kind of sucks that Geno did not get a deluxe costume but I'm grateful he got something. I'm sorry Geno fans you asked and begged for so long. I hope all of you are ok.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
If any of you want my advice, stay away from any place like Twitter, 4chan, Gamefaqs etc. for now, unless you want people to **** on you remorselessly. Everyone is in the "Geno is deconfirmed" party and will do anything in their way to ruin your day. Such is the way of the internet.

Actually, not using any of these sites ever is a good idea too, you know...
Well that's a relief. I'm not even on those sites! YOU CAN'T TOUCH WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Alright, I cannot even be mad about how it went down. They started right at the beginning and I think that was the right call for this. I will still be around til the speculation scene is done and over with.

It has really been a great couple of years :) And forgive me this, but I have to gush for a second.

THEY GAVE SEPHIROTH 9 MUSIC TRACKS!

I am over the moon about that! Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite FF and the first JRPG I played. Hearing Cosmo Canyon, Aerith's Theme and the Bombing Mission play was awesome. But hearing the Main Theme...I teared up. It was just perfect.

I am sad about Geno, do not get me wrong, but I cannot be mad at Sephiroth "taking the spot"

As I said before, GET LOUD! Also, I like how MattX20 MattX20 put it, lets help and support the others!

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Unlucky fellow Geno fans, the rest of the presentation was really hype but Geno not getting a premium and returning as the Smash 4 costume was a bit of a bummer.

That said I'm forever a massive fan of Mario RPG and all its characters and that won't ever change. Keep your head up guys.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it’s just worth stepping back at some point on not dwelling on the reactions too much. It’s just a game, after all.

It sucks that Geno isn’t getting in, yeah. But it’s not worth the pain.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I feel a bit resigned. I've always had multiple characters I'm backing so I am still along for however long smash goes, but that was really the worst case scenario. At least it was done quick.

I am genuinely pretty glad Square didn't cheap out on Seph. I wanted him similarity as well rounded content wise as everyone else. Seph exclusive boss rush is a bit strange though. Maybe it'll set the ground work for an official boss rush mode in the future? If there's demand for it anyways.

IDK how Fatman seemingly still has hope, but I'll still be here listening to him albeit with a grain of salt. Hopefully we can eventually all move on and just kinda chill here.

Ultimate is still amazing to me, personally. Ridley, K Rool AND Banjo made it in and that is a monumental feat in itself. Time to put all my chips into Crash Bandicoot baybeeee

Firox

Smash Master
Haha...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

OF COURSE, this silly little tweet of mine caught on fire and now everyone is misinterpreting it and laughing at the "butthurt" Geno fans. Obviously, I won't even bother responding to anything.

Lesson of the day: NEVER use Twitter, kids.
So glad I never felt the need to touch that orgy of narcissism and human putrescence in the first place.

D

Deleted member

So will everyone purchase the Mii to show Nintendo that you support Geno or will you just give up on the dream here?
To me, it's time to give up. I'm not being defeatist or anything with that, I hope that there's always someone who will want Geno in Smash until history absolutely just forgets Smash ever existed. I might very well be 40 by the time the next Smash releases and while I'll never be too old to enjoy Smash, I'll likely be too old to compete, and being competitive at this game is really who I am. Hopefully, I'll still have it, even then.

I enumerated as much over on Star Road but I really do feel at peace. Nothing to look forward to, nothing to dread. Just the silence of knowing that it's all over.

I'm sorry, guys. This sucks, but at least we got something really cool out of it.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Hey friends! it's been a long time since I've been on here. didn't wanna get spoiled on future releases by talk from leakers.

This is a weird feeling because I'm also extremely happy about Sephiroth's release being a big FF7 fan. and with having already gotten so many of my wish list characters I almost feel bad being disappointed.

But hey there is more to life than Smash speculation. We can keep hoping for our boy Geno. I for one always will be. But let's remember there are more to life than this. and let's still try to find a smile. love you all <3

Piks

Smash Journeyman
The thing I’m left with, though - dude couldn’t be a deluxe costume at the very least?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Alright, I cannot even be mad about how it went down. They started right at the beginning and I think that was the right call for this. I will still be around til the speculation scene is done and over with.

It has really been a great couple of years :) And forgive me this, but I have to gush for a second.

THEY GAVE SEPHIROTH 9 MUSIC TRACKS!

I am over the moon about that! Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite FF and the first JRPG I played. Hearing Cosmo Canyon, Aerith's Theme and the Bombing Mission play was awesome. But hearing the Main Theme...I teared up. It was just perfect.

I am sad about Geno, do not get me wrong, but I cannot be mad at Sephiroth "taking the spot"

As I said before, GET LOUD! Also, I like how MattX20 MattX20 put it, lets help and support the others!
I was very pleasantly surprised with the music selection as well. Really wanted a Chocobo song but it doesn’t really fit in that well with the stage, haha. Also wanted a Super Mario RPG song as well to be tucked in with the Mario ones in the name of Square, but didn’t think it would happen.

I do feel a little guilty. I would have loved Geno for everyone here, but I’m super hype for Sephiroth and (I promise I’m not trying to piss people off here) feel like he was a great pick as well. =/

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I rooted heavily for Geno, alas, he's not in. Hopefully you guys can manage to move on and accept it like I have, it makes the sting go away a lot faster.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I just got Sephi and would like to point out that he comes with stages and music but no spirits. There are still 5 slots on the DLC spirit menu. Unless they've yet to be added (which makes zlich sense) he doesn't have any apparently. This could maybe bode well for bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom