• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
"You said there would be no reveal at the VGAs."

This is also the shortest notice on a Smash reveal ever by a considerable amount. Arguably not even half a day. At least 24 hours notice is the standard, this is looking to be as little as 10.

Onto other thoughts:

-Don't think it's DOOM Guy or Jonesy. The event is already stuffed with Fortnite and DOOM announcements. Looking at Smash history, Smash announcements almost never tie into game announcements unless the game is literally announced in the same presentation like in the case of Isabelle and New Horizons and arguably Cloud and the string of 3DS games he cameoed in.

-I also really doubt two Western characters back to back, especially now that Microsoft owns Bethesda.

-Square usually has a decent presense at these things. Given they've already done updates on Bravely Default 2 and TWEWY 2, it begs the question what they have in mind for tonight.
We already know Square is bringing Nier Replicant in the pre-show
Not saying they couldn't bring anything else, but just mentioning it.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It's finally time Genolads. This morning, as I went to do some errand, I began to think on the meaning that The Game Awards have garnered up to this moment, and what Super Smash Bros. Ultimate represents. Both are, as stated by their creators themselves, a celebration of gaming. One is an event that recognizes the outstanding achievements of video games across various genres, as well as parts of their development, while the other is what has come to be known as the Hall of Fame of video game icons, bringing together countless worlds seamlessly into one epic brawl. That thought right there reassured me that for this year's TGA, the likelihood of a Smash reveal was near certain; what better moment than when we celebrate video games? Thus, as I returned home, went onto check the Internet and open up Smashboards, the first featured article I see is that of an official confirmation that in fact there will be a Smash reveal at this year's TGA. I'm sure a few here felt that air of righteous vindication upon learning of these great news. I know I did.

Now then, who could it be? Well, being The Game Awards, there are a few points that kind of pull towards the favor of some characters whom we've heard and read about quite a number of times.
  • Crash Bandicoot = Geoff Keighley seems to be a big fan of the beloved marsupial, and Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time was officially revealed through the Summer Games Fest platform which Keighley kicked off earlier this year. In addition to that, Crash had some notable presence during TGA 2018, when Joker was revealed as CP 1, and it was no less the night before Ultimate's release. Oh and, Geoff's most recent reply to the confirmation of a Smash reveal later tonight being a humble "Whoa" does seem pretty "on the nose".
  • Doom Guy = DOOM Eternal has been nominated to quite a few categories on this night's TGA, including Game of the Year. Ever since the dual release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and DOOM Eternal back in March, the Isabelle x Doom Guy meme of them being best of pals picked up steam and funny enough, it's amazing how natural and accepting such a meme is. The CacoMallow leak still hasn't been disproven so that's still up in the air. Coincidentally, today is DOOM's 27th Anniversary; an odd number but an anniversary still.
  • Geno = Ok, many might think that TGA seems like an unlikely venue to reveal a character such as Geno, yet I digress. Following TGA, we got some Mario-themed tournaments going on with (a) The Mushroom event in-game tournament starting Friday and wrapping up on Sunday, and (b) the Super Mario-themed VS Challenge Cup Smash tournament on Saturday. Though, if the character is revealed today, one would expect it would become available in say... two more weeks approximately. Well, what if Nintendo/Sakurai pull off a mad-lad move and in addition to announcing the character tonight, it releases tonight as well? I know; chances of that happening are pushing it too far but hey, it could be a possibility. Now, how does Geno fit in in all this? Albeit he is considered an obscure character that only appeared in one game from the late SNES era, he is a symbol of one of the first solid collaborations in gaming history if one could say. A game created from the collaboration between Nintendo and Square Enix which ushered two other Mario RPG spinoff franchises. Though the collaboration came to a halt back then amidst the console generation transition, both companies came together again to continue creating great games. With the support Square Enix has been showing for the Nintendo Switch, it would seem that amidst Squares projects, there may be one that has been kept secret to this very day. However this is all speculation but, let us recall E3 2019. The Smash fighters revealed were Hero (a Square Enix character), and Banjo & Kazooie (a Microsoft/Rare character). Entertaining the idea that has been discussed on this thread before of Steve (a Microsoft character) having been one of two potential E3 2020 reveals, then the other could perhaps be another Square Enix character. Combining that with the upcoming tournaments, the chances seem to weigh-in on Geno's favor. Again, this is mostly speculation, but let's hope it pans out.
Nice rundowns. Now, what about Crono, Gordon Freeman, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa, Scorpion, and Sora?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
What if, Swedish Chef puts random stuff in a bowl like a doll, beanie, and finally a star. Everyone is confused about what he is making, thinks it’s just a comedy act. Screen turns to black out of no where. Cutscene opens up and... Geno, shoots for the stars!
If the Swedish Chef reveals Geno I’ll watch every Game Awards for the next 20 years

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to go back to this post with the recent announcement. In spite of the upcoming event with Beware the Mushrooms, I still think Geno isn't showing up with this reveal, but with a much later reveal if not the last reveal. It would be nice to see Geno treated as a big deal (And he is given his history with Mario and his game influencing the later Mario RPG's) but I think they'll go for a more prominently known face, maybe Crash Bandicoot or someone else. It's up in the air, but I think Geno will have to wait for a little more.

Or they do a double reveal, one in the beginning and one near the end.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
That "Beware the Mushrooms" tournament title was giving me serious déjà vu of Sakurai's "My eyes are a little red" hint from '18. Here we are 24 hours later with an imminent reveal. Sakurai had way too much fun trolling us with that K. Rool's reveal, and we know that he knows how much people want Geno. I'm usually pretty middle of the road, but I think this is the time. I'm betting on Geno (fully prepared to take the L if I'm wrong). Good luck everyone!

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Well, holy ****. Here we go again. And at such short notice too. Let's do this Genobros. Just to get this out of the way; has anything been said by any insiders/leakers that we still have our eye on or is everyone tight lipped again? Considering this is Game Awards my money is on a more significant third party character reveal.

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Unreleated to everything rn, but I saw Sonic Boom trending and found out Sonic is getting a Netflix series, so that's cool, and apparently Netflix deleted the tweet lol.

I really am excited for the Game Awards, but I can't help but feel like it will not be as full as hype when Smash gets announced cause we know its going to be there. Like there's going to be tons of hype unless its Jonsey, but I really liked the surprise of Joker in 2018, this time everybody is just going to ask "Smash? Smash? IS THIS FREAKING SMASH?!?!?!"

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I was planning on saving my predictions for a little while later, but since we're getting reveal tonight, I thought I might as well drop my last minute predictions for not just CP8, but the rest of the characters as well.

Anyways, here are my predictions:

Smash Ultimate Predictions.png

Challenger Pack 8 - Geno: I've been seeing some doom and gloom on this thread about how Geno wouldn't be shown off at TGA, however, I'm starting to think that maybe it could actually happen here. We still have the Mario tournament coming up, which was oddly announced way back in September. Not only that, but tomorrow, we are getting a tournament called "Beware Of Mushrooms", which sounds very similar to "Beware The Forest's Mushrooms", literally the song everyone associates with Geno. Also, as I pointed out earlier, Nintendo advised us beforehand that we are getting a Smash reveal, which means that Nintendo clearly wants Smash fans to tune in to the show. This means that it could be possible that this character could be a very Smash-centric pick and maybe Nintendo wants us to tune in because it will be a character that will please a lot of us Smash fans. Call me overly optimistic, but I'm starting to think Geno could be very possible here.

Challenger Pack 9 - Ryu Hayabusa: Koei Tecmo is the last major Japanese video game company to get a rep in Smash, and Koei Tecmo has also worked on plenty of games with Nintendo like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Ryu Hayabusa is also one of the last major NES icons who have yet to get included, and I think we could definitely use another major third party NES rep. Not to mention the fact that Ryu Hayabusa has been a huge talking point between insiders for some time now. Steve proves that leaks can take a long time until they come in to fruition and since Steve has also been a huge talking point between insiders ever since the base roster, then its very possible this could also mean that the leaks and rumors about Ryu Hayabusa coming to Smash are real as well.

Challenger Pack 10 - Crash Bandicoot: I have already compiled a huge list of evidence in favor of Crash happening, which you can find in my signature.

Challenger Pack 11 - Rex: I think Rex is heavily slept on on this thread and I do think we are in for at least one more Nintendo character. Rex is a highly requested character and even Sakurai is aware of the demand. Both ARMS and Rex were turned down back in the base roster days due to their games being too new at the time. Now that we got an ARMS rep with Min Min in the second Pass, it makes me feel like the same thing could happen for Rex as well. Sakurai is also a huge fan of Xenoblade 2 and as such, it could definitely give Rex an edge over a lot of other characters. I also feel like we could use another Xenoblade rep, especially considering how popular Xenoblade is becoming now. I predict Rex will be last because Smash never usually ends on the best of notes and while a lot of people want to see Rex, I also think a lot of people would be disappointed over the fact that a Nintendo character is our last character for the game. As such, I think Rex has a decent shot.

Honorable mentions go to Lloyd Irving and Sol Badguy. I think these two characters are likely as well, but I don't think their as likely as the four I listed above.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
My personal take is that I think the next character is probably Dante, who is alongside Geno as my other most wanted character.

Here's my personal reasons.

Devil May Cry 5 won Best Action Game last year

Similarly to Persona, the most recent installment (which was the 5th game in the series, not counting the reboot) made the series incredibly popular

Lots of advertising from TGA including a trailer and Dorito Pope getting Casey and Ali Edwards to sing Devil Trigger which were the original singers.

Little Nintendo involvement makes the character a surprise pick, as Joker was.

Now back to Geno, I certainly do believe he has a very good shot at some point this pass, probably FP9 unless they reveal the SMRPG remake here and this reveal was the second E3 announcement. The Beware the Mushrooms thing is very interesting, I did not realize that the English Translation changed the names from the Japanese translation before all this.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Waluigi is a sensible addition eventually (final Pass 2 slot or a Bonus addition somewhere), but it would be so oddly placed if done right now.
Waluigi as a VGA reveal would be weirdly brilliant. It's canon that Joker stole his invitation so them making the headcanon that it was Waluigi's two years later would be legendary. Also just realized that, whoever this character is, they were not only likely meant to be an E3 reveal but were more or less chosen to celebrate the second anniversary of Ultimate AND the halfway mark of Season 2 like Banjo was so, you know, no pressure...

download (17).jpeg

RetroBro

Smash Ace
In regards to the Beware the Mushroom event, has any event been announced before that has to do with DLC before their announcement?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
You know, announcing a mostly Mario-themed spirit event right before a reveal, where it’s entirely possible that we get a single or double reveal with two Mario characters that are both major fan requests and have had longstanding rumors attached to them for years indicating at least one if not both are extremely likely to be picking DLC, during Mario’s 35th anniversary and just proceeding/preceding an all-Mario character tourney

is a really interesting string of coincidences but it doesn’t mean anything for tonight’s reveal, obviously

right? right everybody? It means nothing? Nothing at all? There’s no way all these stars pun-intendedly lining up is in any way indicative of the potential for that Geno sidequest dude from that old Mario game to somehow get a spot in Smash?

RageCage271

Smash Cadet
Just popping back in to say... I wish I had called off of work 😕. I swear to G if I miss a Game Awards Geno reveal...

Ugh. My eyes are going to be on my phone all day. Well, fingers crossed it's at least someone we all like, even if not our star boi.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Do you guys think they will just say “here’s the Smash trailer” and then it plays out like normal? Or do you think they’ll have a fake out where an unsuspecting game trailer plays, and then all of a sudden it’s tied into Smash like Joker?
I am gonna hope it is a lead in to something. I can imagine a fake-out happening again. The best one that just dawned on me would be a cinematic of a battle between Isabelle and Cloud for "Game of the Year" and Doom Slayer appears...then the Smash Screen!

If that happens, I am a prophet.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Oh man this is really exciting!... though I don't know how I'll be able to handle tonight/this weekend if it isn't him...
If anyone else tonight, Doomguy would definitely be the easiest to swallow but I'm not sure about his chances.

One little note we're still absent a snes nso bundle release since September.
My ideal dream tonight: Geno reveal, then the remake or sequel reveal after, then lastly followed by an announcement of SMRPG on the Snes Online tonight/tomorrow morning

Last edited:

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think they will just say “here’s the Smash trailer” and then it plays out like normal? Or do you think they’ll have a fake out where an unsuspecting game trailer plays, and then all of a sudden it’s tied into Smash like Joker?
Would love a fake out of Isabelle and Doomguy watching TGA waiting for the winner to be announced...then before it’s announced (or after TLOU2 wins), they brawl it out to see who wins.

That’s the trailer. Otherwise, give me Geno.

EDIT: Augustus beat me to it. Dual prophecy tho.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I didn't realize about the Beware the Mushrooms tourney thingie before... Funny. I don't think it's necessarily a hint towards Geno being the next fighter revealed, but the timing of it being announced literally two days ago makes it slightly suspicious...

Ahhh, two years after Joker's reveal we're still in the same place of "could Geno be next?". My brain says "no way" but my heart is still like "YES, and with a new Super Mario RPG to accompany him!!".

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Thinking on it, I doubt Crash and Dante because literally everything related to their franchises has leaked the last four years. On Dante, I feel like if Dante was soon he would have turned up already in that massive Capcom leak awhile back.
Seeing as that leak didn't reveal the last DLC character for Street Fighter V, I'm pretty sure it only covered full game releases as opposed to DLC. (I didn't look through the information too thoroughly, though)

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Seeing as that leak didn't reveal the last DLC character for Street Fighter V, I'm pretty sure it only covered full game releases as opposed to DLC.
Yeah, if the Capcom leaks didn't even reveal all the SFV plans, I highly doubt it would contain stuff for Smash. Besides, we still haven't seen all of what they stole regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom