• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
People, I found it, Geno was never #7; he is DLC #8, he is the Eight Star!

@papagenos

View attachment 288336
All the seven fighters so far are technically a star in their own games. The seven challengers have colors kinda matching the seven stars.

Also, Steve might have been planned for an E3 reveal. Maybe, Geno was planned to be revealed or released around the end of the year or earlier. Maybe even around the time of that Mario tournament.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
People, I found it, Geno was never #7; he is DLC #8, he is the Eight Star!

@papagenos

View attachment 288336
Talk about Color Theory resurrection. Thought of looking back to the Fighters Page and what do you know, counting only the official Fighters Pass challenger packs,
  • Joker = Red
  • Hero = Purple/Violet
  • Banjo & Kazooie = a Yellow kinda going for orange
  • Terry = Blue (could stand in for the Indigo Star)
  • Byleth = kind of a greenish color (stand in for the Green Star)
  • Min Min = Yellow
  • Steve = Sky Blue (kinda Cyan)
Heh, their backgrounds on the Fighters Page kinda match the seven stars from SMRPG. :nifty: 👀

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Here's me talking about it back in January:

Here's Destructoid reporting on its existence in 2018, a full year earlier:

Here's me outlining the Crash/Smash timeline back in May:

Here's Papa talking about Crash talk from last summer last October:

(5 minute mark)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This doesn’t relate to Geno, it’s just showing that Crash is really likely as one of the characters in Vol. 2
Still great news in my eyes! Maybe in the far future when a new Smash Bros. game is made, we can get Spyro, too. That may be wishful thinking, but hey...one can dream.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
This doesn’t relate to Geno, it’s just showing that Crash is really likely as one of the characters in Vol. 2
ACKCHYUALLY, this says some very good news for Geno considering the rumors of Steve being in the pipe for five years and Crash for smash ideas being this old. It means Geno could've easily been discussed at the same time as DQ and explains the squeenix mii costumes, or more specifically their absence.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Oh yea, he could be in.

So I guess our final 4 are Geno, Doom Slayer, Hayabusa and Crash.
Wait......wasn't that almost the list that was 'leaked' after Joker about who the first pass would be? It didn't have Geno, though. I remember at the start of the pass that a list was making the rounds as I was annoyed that the pass was leaked that soon. Plus, I didn't like the picks.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Question, is there any evidence for Ryu Hayabusa besides Nintendo being close with Koei Tecmo and Nintendo’s negotiation with Koei Tecmo for Smash like Vergeben said?

AshPeer

Smash Cadet
I'm back! I've posted less than 100 messages here, so i doubt anybody remembers me, but either way it's good to be back! I've been pretty uninterested in smash ever since the drought, but luckily our new fighter (Steve! Which is awesome!) was revealed so that means the drought is essentially over and i'm interested in smash again

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Is it possible that Steve and Geno were gonna be the next 2 with Geno being an e3 reveal and Steve being the next near the end of the year but because of the COVID and people holding off on the pass they decided to swap them around because they knew minecraft would sell the pass better.

Chad K Rule

Smash Cadet
Im fairly certain a second square rep is coming, its either Geno, or some other rep, (could be a braverly default who knows, or sephiroth). The missing chocobo hat and all the activity square has been having with Nintendo gives this away. Microsoft has two reps now it seems both characters were collaborated for back then. Also back then we saw a list of leaked square names, one of them turned out to be true meaning the others might be coming in some form. The best scenario I can see is Nintendo listened to us and brings Geno back as a fighter and sephiroth, chocobo come as MII outfits.....or...the opposite, only time will tell my Genobros.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm back! I've posted less than 100 messages here, so i doubt anybody remembers me, but either way it's good to be back! I've been pretty uninterested in smash ever since the drought, but luckily our new fighter (Steve! Which is awesome!) was revealed so that means the drought is essentially over and i'm interested in smash again
I kinda remember you, actually.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welcome back

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is it possible that Steve and Geno were gonna be the next 2 with Geno being an e3 reveal and Steve being the next near the end of the year but because of the COVID and people holding off on the pass they decided to swap them around because they knew minecraft would sell the pass better.
It could be possible that Steve and whoever FP8 are were both intended as E3 reveals; if there's a Smash reveal at E3, it's been two or more characters ever since Brawl's announcement. (Min Min didn't really feel like an E3 reveal, though maybe I'm wrong and the original plan was to have Min Min released and Steve revealed at E3)

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Here's me talking about it back in January:

Here's Destructoid reporting on its existence in 2018, a full year earlier:

Here's me outlining the Crash/Smash timeline back in May:

Here's Papa talking about Crash talk from last summer last October:

(5 minute mark)

I have heard about this before but this is the first time I really looked at the whole leaked Activision document thing. I hope to god this is real and if it is, Crash is all I really will need from this pass to definitely buy it. Steve alone is tempting me to buy it just because of how cool he looks but Crash will solidify my purchase for sure. Oh, and Geno would be cool, too.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
continues laughing maniacally from last tinfoil hat post

Ah yes! Here I was, casually watching the latest video upload by RGT 85 and what could be in store for Microsoft on the Nintendo Switch coming into 2021. Watching said video, I saw the Minecraft trailer from a few years ago that promoted cross-play between the Nintendo Switch, and XBox One. Near the end of that trailer I saw the collaborative pitch and immediately the gears began to turn. "Create Together", "Explore Together", "Survive Together", wrapping it up with "Better Together". The first three struck me almost as a prophetic message.

• The Minecraft franchise is well known for allowing players to create virtually almost anything (as well as deconstruct anything)! Thus the association to "create together".
  • Albeit within Minecraft players can also explore different areas, so is a beloved classic such as Banjo-Kazooie (and Banjo-Tooie). With many collectibles to find and worlds to explore (even greater ones in Tooie), the pitch of "explore together" resonates with this IP.
  • Lastly, "survive together". Both Minecraft and the Banjo games do pit players against enemies to overcome, but an IP that perhaps drives the concept of surviving to greater levels would be Halo (cue for Master Chief).
After Steve being revealed as CP 7, I thought that would be it (definitively) for Microsoft representation. However, these past two Smash collaborations aren't merely between a first party (Nintendo) and third party Company. These collaborations have been between "rival" first party companies (two of the big three)! I still find it bewildering but... perhaps... Master Chief may indeed come to Smash. In fact, the day of Steve's reveal, the XBox France Twitter posted a cheeky tweet.
https://screenrant.com/master-chief-fighter-super-smash-bros-ultimate-tease/

With knowing now that discussions/negotiations for adding Steve to Super Smash Bros. went back approximately five (5) years ago, and seeing all the Microsoft content that has come to the Switch, and in addition to, Microsoft's presence seemingly expanding in Japan (kicking off TGS 2020), perhaps Nintendo and Microsoft negotiated some big collabs (including Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and potentially Master Chief in Ultimate as a means to promote Microsoft IPs).

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the Granblue stuff, given how indies have been treated, I wouldn't worry about it.
There was genuinely some fire behind the smoke with the whole Katalina rumor, beyond the fighting game.

From what I was told, she was prototyped but ended up getting canned. But it is possible she was revisited later down the line. I couldn’t tell you if that’s the case though. Wouldn’t be super surprised though, we haven’t seen a character that caters to the Japanese market yet in FP2.

Keep in mind that plenty of characters get prototyped and nothing ends up coming of it.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Geez, I thought things were going to get dreadful for Geno's hopes if it was the time leading up to character 10, but seeing all these names floating around as potential picks now is making me nervous for his chances. The only thing I dislike about Steve's addition is that it brought back several names into the discussion that many thought were off the table for speculation a year ago.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There was genuinely some fire behind the smoke with the whole Katalina rumor, beyond the fighting game.

From what I was told, she was prototyped but ended up getting canned. But it is possible she was revisited later down the line. I couldn’t tell you if that’s the case though. Wouldn’t be super surprised though, we haven’t seen a character that caters to the Japanese market yet in FP2.

Keep in mind that plenty of characters get prototyped and nothing ends up coming of it.
Given that the Tales series is extremely popular in Japan, Lloyd might be that pick

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Just noticed that you have the exact same username as the other guy that Vergeben backed who said Steve was coming. The guy wasn't wrong though but funny thing I noticed nonetheless.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just noticed that you have the exact same username as the other guy that Vergeben backed who said Steve was coming. The guy wasn't wrong though but funny thing I noticed nonetheless.
It's him. That's the actual Xenother. I can confirm it and it's not someone pretending to be him.

Firox

Smash Master
continues laughing maniacally from last tinfoil hat post

Ah yes! Here I was, casually watching the latest video upload by RGT 85 and what could be in store for Microsoft on the Nintendo Switch coming into 2021. Watching said video, I saw the Minecraft trailer from a few years ago that promoted cross-play between the Nintendo Switch, and XBox One. Near the end of that trailer I saw the collaborative pitch and immediately the gears began to turn. "Create Together", "Explore Together", "Survive Together", wrapping it up with "Better Together". The first three struck me almost as a prophetic message.

• The Minecraft franchise is well known for allowing players to create virtually almost anything (as well as deconstruct anything)! Thus the association to "create together".
  • Albeit within Minecraft players can also explore different areas, so is a beloved classic such as Banjo-Kazooie (and Banjo-Tooie). With many collectibles to find and worlds to explore (even greater ones in Tooie), the pitch of "explore together" resonates with this IP.
  • Lastly, "survive together". Both Minecraft and the Banjo games do pit players against enemies to overcome, but an IP that perhaps drives the concept of surviving to greater levels would be Halo (cue for Master Chief).
After Steve being revealed as CP 7, I thought that would be it (definitively) for Microsoft representation. However, these past two Smash collaborations aren't merely between a first party (Nintendo) and third party Company. These collaborations have been between "rival" first party companies (two of the big three)! I still find it bewildering but... perhaps... Master Chief may indeed come to Smash. In fact, the day of Steve's reveal, the XBox France Twitter posted a cheeky tweet.
https://screenrant.com/master-chief-fighter-super-smash-bros-ultimate-tease/

With knowing now that discussions/negotiations for adding Steve to Super Smash Bros. went back approximately five (5) years ago, and seeing all the Microsoft content that has come to the Switch, and in addition to, Microsoft's presence seemingly expanding in Japan (kicking off TGS 2020), perhaps Nintendo and Microsoft negotiated some big collabs (including Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and potentially Master Chief in Ultimate as a means to promote Microsoft IPs).
"And then one last alliance between men and elves Microsoft and Nintendo gathered against the armies of Sauron Sony..."

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I sent this to a friend of mine and this is what they got to say, which I honestly agree with 100%…

"Vol 2 wasn't planned until 2019. Crash N-Sane Trilogy released on Switch in 2018.
So Activision had been planning Crash in Smash before Vol 2 even began? No, that's BS. On top of that, this is breaking all sorts of NDA's.

The problem with the "talked about" argument is:
What this "memo" is suggesting is Crash is definitely coming to Smash.
That's not how "talks" work.
If this was legit it would've meant Crash was happening in Vol 1, not Vol 2.
"talks" could leak, sure, but where the hell would an "internal memo" say that he was definitely happening in Smash 2-3 years later?
Crash could be a thing, but the memo is BS"

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
I sent this to a friend of mine and this is what they got to say, which I honestly agree with 100%…

"Vol 2 wasn't planned until 2019. Crash N-Sane Trilogy released on Switch in 2018.
So Activision had been planning Crash in Smash before Vol 2 even began? No, that's BS. On top of that, this is breaking all sorts of NDA's.

"talks" could leak, sure, but where the hell would an "internal memo" say that he was definitely happening in Smash 2-3 years later?
I'm pretty sure all the memo was implying was that Activision would approach Nintendo and request Crash to be added to the game. This doesn't mean that they knew Crash would be in, but that they hoped he would.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm pretty sure all the memo was implying was that Activision would approach Nintendo and request Crash to be added to the game. This doesn't mean that they knew Crash would be in, but that they hoped he would.
This is how it was described to me. Crash in Smash was a "goal" for 2020/2021, not something definite. It implied something that Activision wanted to do, not something that was already decided, especially in the light that this document was likely drawn up in 2016/2017 so Ultimate wasn't even publicly announced yet. It was probably known by many in the industry that Smash was being worked on though.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Also I want to point that the 1st plan was have the N-Sane Trilogy on Switch. It happened, and it was revealed in a March 8th, 2018 Direct. The 1st Ultimate teaser was released in the same Direct. Why would Activision ask for Crash in Smash if they don't even knew if a Smash Switch was on works?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
So what was the deal with all the Genoposting back in July? If Steve was next, why would they be posting Geno?

Assuming Geno is coming to the game (which I am still in the air about) was it more of a priority for Nintendo to keep Steve a secret since it would be a huge deal and Steve would be a better character to incentivize holiday Switch purchases?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I’m very meh on Geno’s chances right now. 4 slots left, you know Crash is getting in and Dante. And then there’s gonna be the derp shill promotion pick probably Zelda Champion/BOTW era fighter, and the last fighter will be a let down like Byleth.
I think I’m going to take a brake from speculation. I keep getting pulled back in because I believe that my favorite is going to get in. It’s like hearing that an old friend is coming back to town, and he never does. But realistically, I feel like everyone could get in before Geno.
Sakurai made an unbelievable game, and he got most of it right, but for me, he failed to deliver.
So good luck to all the Geno faithful on this discussion, I wish you all well. Stay safe!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have a bad feeling if Geno isn't next and wasn't one of the originally planned E3 reveals, he is either last or he isn't in at all. I fear we will be on this crazy ride all the way towards the end guys.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
So what was the deal with all the Genoposting back in July? If Steve was next, why would they be posting Geno?

Assuming Geno is coming to the game (which I am still in the air about) was it more of a priority for Nintendo to keep Steve a secret since it would be a huge deal and Steve would be a better character to incentivize holiday Switch purchases?
I'm going to go ahead and agree with that assumption - Considering that the reveal of Steve quite literally broke one of the biggest social media channels on the internet, to make a bunch of minecraft mining jokes -n- haw-haw's would've potentially lessened the blow. Also, consider how some folks feel about Steve in very strong degrees one way or the other, I'm sure even if they heard or caught wind of that, nobody would be willing to stake their name on something of that caliber in the off-chance that it got them heckled or harassed off the platform. Geno is definitely one of those Never Ever's that'd make big waves, but at the same time, much as I love the character, I don't see him making the explosion that Minecraft in Smash did. I feel like this is why, even if they knew, they weren't going to say anything about it so deliberately, and the only person I know who did was Vergeben, and we all kinda see how that carried along.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I love fiddling around with my day counter app and I wanted to show you guys something:

The days between Min Min and Steve's release: 106 days

The days left to complete Season 2 after Steve is released: 444 days

That's 444 days to complete and release 4 more characters. To put this in perspective:

The days between Mewtwo and Bayo's release: 308 days

The days between Plant and Byleth's release: 361 days

Keep in mind that Sakurai and co still managed to release two characters under the extreme conditions of a pandemic, with those two characters being some of the most technical in the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom