• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I keep seeing people in the Newcomer thread saying that characters like Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, and Dixie Kong aren't happening because there's no game for them to promote like with Byleth and Three Houses... which is a flawed point that I heavily disagree with, but even if it's true, then that means a potential Super Mario RPG remake/sequel is nothing but helpful for Geno's chances. If fan demand isn't enough for some reason, then how about a brand spankin' new game that Geno in Smash could help promote?
I wonder, why would those characters need a new game, anyway? Don't they just need demand? I don't think them having a new game is necessary.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I am not sure if a Geno reveal is directly tied to a Mario RPG game...

But our boy could be coming, nonetheless.
Geno being used to promote a remake/sequel honestly makes perfect sense which is essentially what they did with Hero and Dragon Quest XI S. I've never felt like that absolutely had to happen for Geno to come to Smash but the love handles scraping on the ground crowd who with their gerkin fingers insisted Geno was "worthless to put in Smash" because "he was too old and couldn't shill anything", this is what they clutched to like the masts of the Titanic as they got slowly dragged literally raging and seething into the cold waters of hard truth that Geno is very likely and has been for some time.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
TFW @papagenos and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice are revealed as Geno's adopted sons in the trailer, sent to earth to scout ahead for his mission. <3

Papa's got a new vid that explains everything 9 mins in! Also, if it makes you feel better my knees are even worse. Lets just say Im not called MattOnWheels for nothing. I know the pain of sore legs. :(
So a doll is the father of Flynn Rider and a floating Popeye head? It makes sense.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Geno being used to promote a remake/sequel honestly makes perfect sense which is essentially what they did with Hero and Dragon Quest XI S. I've never felt like that absolutely had to happen for Geno to come to Smash but the love handles scraping on the ground crowd who with their gerkin fingers insisted Geno was "worthless to put in Smash" because "he was too old and couldn't shill anything", this is what they clutched to like the masts of the Titanic as they got slowly dragged literally raging and seething into the cold waters of hard truth that Geno is very likely and has been for some time.
Yeah, there is that, I guess, but both passes haven't had that much promotional picks aside from Byleth. I mean, it could be linked, but it could be for another reason. After all, Sakurai said he has always wanted Geno in, right? Just because it makes sense, does not mean it is necessarily linked.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, I'm lost. Whose Sharon and why should we trust her? I read Polarthief Polarthief 's updated list but I'm still kinda lost about all of this.
I really don't know this Sharon person either but it's honestly irrelevant because, kind of like I've been talking about all day, the evidence pointing to a SMRPG remake/sequel has technically been around since last December and a lot of people have heard it.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I really don't know this Sharon person either but it's honestly irrelevant because, kind of like I've been talking about all day, the evidence pointing to a SMRPG remake/sequel has technically been around since last December and a lot of people have heard it.
Ah okay. Even though I personally doubt this will happen, it would be absolutely perfect if Nintendo not only announced Geno for Smash, but also tied in his Smash reveal to a remake or sequel to SMRPG, and I am glad some insiders are talking about this. Would love it if all of this came true!

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I'm real happy seeing things start to look VERY good for Geno. Well, things have been good for a long while but these new developments have really made things look even better. I'll be very happy for you guys to get what is arguably the biggest Smash character request ever and I hope that at least Crash gets to party alongside the star spirit.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I wonder, why would those characters need a new game, anyway? Don't they just need demand? I don't think them having a new game is necessary.
Mainly because of the pessimistic view that Nintendo is picking the characters, therefore we're likely getting a bunch of "shill picks" that promote recent games.

Granted, after Byleth and to a lesser extent Min Min, I don't necessarily blame people too much for thinking this, but I don't see it as this giant wall preventing fan favorites from getting in. We already have Banjo and Terry, two characters who were included without promoting any specific games (closest that Banjo got was Sakurai telling people to play the games on Xbox), and even if characters absolutely have to promote something, the three characters I mentioned all have games they can be connected to (Dixie Kong has Tropical Freeze, Waluigi has Mario Tennis Aces, and Bandana Dee has Star Allies), especially since Min Min shows that a game can be promoted despite arguably being a few years old and thus technically not recent.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Where does this "Geno is a hot topic in the office" quote i heard several pages ago come from? if We know the date maybe we can pinpoint how long they've been working on this potential game combined with the dates fatman just gave.

Also, what on earth could they be saving the announcement for? Could THIS be Nintendo's big holiday game and NOT BOTW2 ??

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Where does this "Geno is a hot topic in the office" quote i heard several pages ago come from? if We know the date maybe we can pinpoint how long they've been working on this potential game combined with the dates fatman just gave.

Also, what on earth could they be saving the announcement for? Could THIS be Nintendo's big holiday game and NOT BOTW2 ??
Don’t have a source, but I remember back in September 2018 an artist at Nintendo posted artwork they made for Geno on their Instagram, and said something like “Geno’s been a hot topic at the office”. It was since deleted.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Mainly because of the pessimistic view that Nintendo is picking the characters, therefore we're likely getting a bunch of "shill picks" that promote recent games.

Granted, after Byleth and to a lesser extent Min Min, I don't necessarily blame people too much for thinking this, but I don't see it as this giant wall preventing fan favorites from getting in. We already have Banjo and Terry, two characters who were included without promoting any specific games (closest that Banjo got was Sakurai telling people to play the games on Xbox), and even if characters absolutely have to promote something, the three characters I mentioned all have games they can be connected to (Dixie Kong has Tropical Freeze, Waluigi has Mario Tennis Aces, and Bandana Dee has Star Allies), especially since Min Min shows that a game can be promoted despite arguably being a few years old and thus technically not recent.
Well, both Byleth and Min Min may be first party characters, but there are still five characters to go, which means it could be anyone, regardless of if a character has a new game or not. I personally don't think a character not having a new game doesn't mean jack here, and that not having a new game is just another fan created rule, or close to it, if you know what I mean.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has already said, it appears the hand has been shown. The rumor of a SMRPG R/2 has been floating around since the beginning of the year. There's a few things that I'd like to lay out that occurred between myself and a few other people. I have asked for and have been given permission to relay these events. Of course, names have been shrouded to hide identities, and I do not share this as direct confirmation, but an interesting development to say the least.

Late April, 2020: I receive a message from someone I do hold trust in with information like this, who I'll call C, about a "big bait rumor but so crazy that it could be true". C says that apparently a SMRPG remake was planned to hit the 3DS, but given Alphadream went under and the 3DS is practically dead, it was put on the shelf. Geno may come back in either this remake or something new, with the additional info that Nintendo is attracted to remakes as they are safer bets. I don't pay it any mind as, like previously stated, it could just be bait.

Early May: I am talking with another friend of mine, I'll call H, about general SMRPG discussion, and they bring up that they've been told that Geno will be showing up in something that isn't primarily Smash Bros. Turns out, they heard that a SMRPG remake was coming at around the same time the message was sent (late April). Supposedly a Link's Awakening type-remake for Switch, not sure if they mean artstyle or just the premise of Link's Awakening.

Mid May: H messages me telling of another source of theirs that has heard of a SMRPG remake, involved in the game industry and just recently breaking into animation. The gist from them was that a Super Mario RPG remake for the Switch was in the works, with Alphadream potentially being involved.

I had been under the assumption that this development was for a remake, but given the word sequel is beginning to float around, the attributes of this remake could stand with a sequel as well. At the end of the day, I am a Geno fan, so of course I hope this comes true, but all I can do it sit and wait.

May the stars align to grant our Ultimate wish.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There’s no way so many insiders and industry people are teasing Geno and SMRPG just randomly. It genuinely seems like a poorly kept secret at this point that honestly might have been slated for an E3 reveal. I mean it was around then that a lot of the game industry teases started cropping up.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I'm not even that surprised at this point.

For one thing Mario & Luigi seems all but dead and the likelihood of Paper Mario getting the rehab it needs is basically next to none. So either they had to do something or Mario RPGs are basically dead.

And there's been repeating signs that Nintendo is becoming more willing to lend out their IPs. Mario + Rabbids, Samus Returns, Cadance of Hyrule and Three Houses basically being developed by Koei Tecmo are all examples of this. And who better to start a partnership with than one of their first? Especially as Nintendo and Square's relationship has healed a lot recently.

A Mario RPG remake seems like a pretty easy gamble to both get a Mario RPG on Switch and make Square a lot of money doing it. It's a very beneficial thing for both parties involved. It also increases Geno's chances of getting added to Smash tremendously, which always is nice.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there is that, I guess, but both passes haven't had that much promotional picks aside from Byleth. I mean, it could be linked, but it could be for another reason. After all, Sakurai said he has always wanted Geno in, right? Just because it makes sense, does not mean it is necessarily linked.
We've done this to death. Geno wins no matter what:

Joker shilled P5 or SMTV but was also a dumb popular character
Hero shilled DQXI but was also from a IP that was dumb popular
Banjo shilled nothing but was a dumb popular character in the Smash community. He is the combo breaker of FP1
Terry shilled the new KOF and the bevy of SNK games on Switch but was also a dumb popular character (outside zoomies 😛)
Byleth shilled FE3H but was also dumb popular (outside actual Smash fans 😂) or at least is the exception to that rule
Min Min shills ARMS but was also a dumb popular new Nintendo character

Whether Geno shills for a new SMRPG or he's just a dumb popular character with Smash fans, he doesn't break any precedent. If anything a remake/sequel is going to make his chances moon

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Dont want to be bad vibes but I do not hope the rumour “inside people” heard was that Square-Enix is developing a Mario IP title, people think something related to Mario RPG but it is that supposed Mario Sports title that got trademarked a little bit ago. Does anybody knows Square-Enix structure? We can try to figure put if its possible they are pulling out this remake.

We know that nowdays they are working on FF XVI, Kingdom Hearts Rhythm game (+ a new game) Project Aitha, FFVII Remake Part 2, new Dragon Quest RPG, Dragon Quest Monsters and there were rumblings that they are also working on a sequel to TWEYY. I had the suspicion that they are planning to release a new SaGa title, as they re-release lately GB and SNES titles.

But yeah, it can be cool, always tempered your expectations and think this remake as something similar to Links Awakening, not an 3D AAA RPG title. Nintendo has Xenoblade for that. I don’t think they are interested on another series.

And that reminds me, what a wild type of rumours we are hearing lately, first, Golden Sun and now Mario RPG...

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I'm not even that surprised at this point.

For one thing Mario & Luigi seems all but dead and the likelihood of Paper Mario getting the rehab it needs is basically next to none. So either they had to do something or Mario RPGs are basically dead.

And there's been repeating signs that Nintendo is becoming more willing to lend out their IPs. Mario + Rabbids, Samus Returns, Cadance of Hyrule and Three Houses basically being developed by Koei Tecmo are all examples of this. And who better to start a partnership with than one of their first? Especially as Nintendo and Square's relationship has healed a lot recently.

A Mario RPG remake seems like a pretty easy gamble to both get a Mario RPG on Switch and make Square a lot of money doing it. It's a very beneficial thing for both parties involved. It also increases Geno's chances of getting added to Smash tremendously, which always is nice.
It all plays into the rumors of more indie developed Nintendo games too. If they're willing to give something like Balloon Fight to a small indie team, another Square Mario RPG is hardly as big a risk. Especially when the game already exists and Square has worked with the Mario IP on 4 successful Wii era spin-offs.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Zhu Li can do "the thing" and make Geno's reveal come sooner just so that ALL the Geno-related cats can come out of the bag and I wouldn't be unhappy.

But yeah... what would make this even crazier is if Geno ISN'T just coming to Smash and SMRPG Project whatever, it'd be neat to have him in other Mario sports titles too. Like, Mario Kart Tour (I'd prefer a non-gacha Mario Kart appearance) is one thing, but like...

Imagine Geno and Mallow being added to Mario Tennis Aces

OR it turns out there IS a new Mario Strikers on the horizon and Geno and Mallow end up part of it.

Anyone wanna draw up a "Striker Geno" and "Striker Mallow"?

Of course, Geno can't be added to Mario Party. You steal his star, he'll shoot his fist off, it'll fly across the board, and punch the thief in the mouth. Mallow can't either because he'll cry too much and drown the whole board as a result... boy's a stage hazard with them fella tears, he is.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well I would have preferred if those trusted to keep this information silent had continued to do so as it wasn't their beans to spill even if other sources were doing so already, but it's not good to dwell on things already past. that said I'm amazed we kept it together for as long as we did. I don't know what were going to see next week but I'm more sure than ever it'll include geno in smash. Our time has come gang

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sunshine is a fun game, but the pachinko stage and the final level before the Bowser boss fight just suck
Don't forget the poison river ride for the red coins. Plus the tedious platforming you have to do with Yoshi getting on ship to ship without falling into the water to just get to that island that has the pipe to that course.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, can all this imply that there's a strong possibility of playable Geno in Smash? Like, not just a hope, but an actual 'Yes, you should be 99% optimistic'?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So the direct website has been updated again like the last time, and it was a Mario direct. So I think it'll be somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday.

1599347272509.png

You know, if it's going to be a Smash or a general direct, then I'm very confident that Geno will be the next fighter since Nintendo is celebrating Mario 35th anniversary til next March plus the Super Mario tournament in Smash and Jeff Grubb tweet something about Super Mario RPG.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Malo Mart Malo Mart needs to do the Thing™ again because I feel like today definitely calls for it.
I have risen from my Smashboards slumber to attend your request, Fatman! Brace yourselves:

CACOMALLOW IS REAL

I'll also take this time to share my recently drawn Cacomallow in WarioWare DIY, as some of you might like it.

cacomallowware-diy.jpeg

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Okay can someone help me out here? If there is something SMRPG-related coming (remake or sequel), why wasn’t it announced in the Mario Direct? At first I thought “oh maybe the Mario Direct was just for mainline Mario games” but they announced the Mario Kart Live game.

so I’m just confused. And like, I get it, it’s Nintendo, and literally nobody understands them. But can someone just try and help me process this, because I’m scratching my head as to why they wouldn’t talk about SMRPG. I guess maybe they were worried about spoiling Geno for Smash? But then again, why wouldn’t they just announce Geno in the Mario Direct?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I have risen from my Smashboards slumber to attend your request, Fatman! Brace yourselves:

CACOMALLOW IS REAL

I'll also take this time to share my recently drawn Cacomallow in WarioWare DIY, as some of you might like it.

View attachment 284659
You should start each of those with:

FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAID DORMANT. NOW BEHOLD, CACOMALLOW IS REAL!

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Okay can someone help me out here? If there is something SMRPG-related coming (remake or sequel), why wasn’t it announced in the Mario Direct? At first I thought “oh maybe the Mario Direct was just for mainline Mario games” but they announced the Mario Kart Live game.

so I’m just confused. And like, I get it, it’s Nintendo, and literally nobody understands them. But can someone just try and help me process this, because I’m scratching my head as to why they wouldn’t talk about SMRPG. I guess maybe they were worried about spoiling Geno for Smash? But then again, why wouldn’t they just announce Geno in the Mario Direct?
They seem to be stretching out this anniversary celebration between now and March of 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few more tricks up their sleeve to pull at a later date, and this may have been one of them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We've done this to death. Geno wins no matter what:

Joker shilled P5 or SMTV but was also a dumb popular character
Hero shilled DQXI but was also from a IP that was dumb popular
Banjo shilled nothing but was a dumb popular character in the Smash community. He is the combo breaker of FP1
Terry shilled the new KOF and the bevy of SNK games on Switch but was also a dumb popular character (outside zoomies 😛)
Byleth shilled FE3H but was also dumb popular (outside actual Smash fans 😂) or at least is the exception to that rule
Min Min shills ARMS but was also a dumb popular new Nintendo character

Whether Geno shills for a new SMRPG or he's just a dumb popular character with Smash fans, he doesn't break any precedent. If anything a remake/sequel is going to make his chances moon
What's wrong with what I said? I was just stating something that was of my thoughts. I did not say Geno wasn't going to get in now, did I?

What I think is that his chances are good, regardless if a remake or sequel to the game he is from, is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom