• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
To quickly go back to the whole RogersBase case (ha rhymes), I thought about the possibility that he is just referring to “Twitter girl”. To some, that may lower the credibility of the information Roger is sharing, but, in my opinion after thinking about it a little, I think it would only boost the credibility of “Twitter girl”.

Her apparently knowing the dates of the last four Nintendo Directs is interesting (though how nobody besides Roger has noticed is a little weird), and it would seem Roger knows enough about her to know she isn’t a “wannabe insider”.

Just if it is her, the fact that Roger, a Nintendo ambassador, would trust her enough to relay the information, I think would go in her favour.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I´m not saying that there is no casual that doesn´t want him. You are missing my point (with a hardcore fan I mean people like us that is deep in the speculation scene)

If you had to found it randomly, I highly doubt it sold on pretty much every console if you know what mean. Granted, we both are talking by assumption here, but I find it likelier that majority did not find it then find it statistically if you had to find it by chance concidering people here in Europe most likely had/has no fricking idea what the game was or even existed. Your comment is exactly what I mean with the Miles Morales example. Beliving our bubble that is much larger than it actually is which is that it's known worldwide by most people (as in majority casual players) around the world knows and loves the game. And due to what I mentioned earlier.... It´s highly unlikely no matter how good Wii sold.

Maybe I´m wrong (and I wish that I am) but concidering the circumstance (aka had to find it out randomly in a sea that contains thousands of chests to the point that it easily under shadowed smaller games ) I can´t see it being a big deal here in Europe, I highly doubt it. Had it had an original European release date, chances are that people here would know about it, from either own purchase, or someone that has played it if they are a casual player (as in someone that just randomly buys a game from time to time) Its due to this that its smarter to do a remake, before doing a sequel even though the first one has aged phenomenally.

I´m not saying that a sequel to SMRPG is never gonna happen. But its truly jumping the gun to believe that a sequel will happen before a remake. But I promise you this and you can screenshot this if you want. If a sequel truly happens before a remake. the first thing I do is that I go to this thread and admit that I was wrong.
The point isn't to prove you wrong and make you eat crow, the point is simply that you're underestimating the game's popularity. I discovered it for SNES when I was but a lad, found a huge online following for it in the early days of the internet, and was there for the Brawl speculation to see Geno requested where I decided that I, too, wanted him in ever since. Heck, Geno was technically listed on the Smash polls that were for Melee. Clearly, he isn't an unknown by any means.

However, I still question the logic where the game requires a remake before a sequel. That makes zero sense to me because it's hardly a necessary thing. Imagine that logic applied to anything else?

Speaking as someone that knows the industry, and is a Marvel and DC fan, Miles Morales has only been in one Spiderman game and it's on the PS4 game, and the comic-book sales are to the brink of bad sales that if Disney and Warner Brothers would shut down the comics department, it wouldn´t be that shocking. It's even said that the supposed reboot that DC Comics are doing, is the last-ditch effort to see if comics are worth doing. The only "comics" that are currently striving are mangas (particularly My Hero Academia) even though its still a "niche entertainment". Spiderman animated series has been canceled left and right. The Earth Mightiest Heroes and Teen Titans are fan-favorite series that fans have asked for to return for years, but it has never happened. Young Justice came back for one season on the DC Universe app, but there is zero knowledge about a 5.... and that season came out around a year) So your argument about "its because of the hardcore fans that it happens" does not exactly work on this regard.

Let me ask you this....Why do you think Warner Brothers for example only did Superman and Batman movies until Marvel took a gamble? Its because they knew that those properties print money because of their worldwide status (see The Dark Knight trilogy as the perfect example). The same goes with Spiderman at that time.
I can list 13 games that predate 2018's PS4 Spider-Man where Miles either appeared or his costume was present in the game. It was very easy to find with a quick Google search.

And yes, my argument does work because the comics are failing right now, or at least were failing prior to the pandemic, because the comics were no longer aimed at their hardcore fanbase. They changed who their intended audience is, and their new intended audience does not buy the comics. Both Marvel AND DC were doing this/still are. They're trying to make up the difference using the movies. Strange, isn't it?

And on your last point, Marvel and DC have been doing live-action comic related stuff for almost around 80 years or so. They started with live action serials at first. The very first Superhero live-action was Captain Marvel. And by Captain Marvel I mean Shazam, the DC character. Three years later is when Marvel hopped in with Captain America. They've been doing this back and forth song and dance for a long time now with varying success on both sides, but Marvel didn't shoot first.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ok, that make sense, also there is the fact that Nintendo knows why many hype could a Smash character have so I doubt they won't "let" people react becausr they weren't ready

But I don't understand, why is the SMRPG Copyright relevant? It was updated recently?
It's more a just in case thing and the fact that both Nintendo and Square still own it
No idea if this is the most recent.

View attachment 284592

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It's more a just in case thing and the fact that both Nintendo and Square still own it
Is this a copyright renewal, or a brand new copyright? If it's the former, it probably doesn't mean much, if anything. If it's the latter, that's more significant and it might be something to keep an eye on... I think. I only know the differences between renewals and new copyrights from lurking around the Isaac thread, so I could be wrong on that.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Is this a copyright renewal, or a brand new copyright? If it's the former, it probably doesn't mean much, if anything. If it's the latter, that's more significant and it might be something to keep an eye on... I think. I only know the differences between renewals and new copyrights from lurking around the Isaac thread, so I could be wrong on that.
I'm only going to respond to this one. It is not a renewal. I wrote earlier that this is the original. I've been looking for a renewal but I've had no luck. Searching Japanese copyright is extremely difficult for a non-native speaker. But that is the only copyright I can find in American law currently so it seems that it hasn't been touched as far as I can find

... I know. That's why I put "perfect" in quotes.

Given how Nintendo's marketing has been this year, it's entirely possible that Fighters Pass 2 will miss the December 2021 deadline and the reveals will have to bleed into 2022.
No. I think they will hold hard to December 2021. As I wrote in an earlier post, Sakurai said he is on schedule. We also now know that Nintendo determines when characters get revealed and released. It makes sense too because it explains why Sakurai has filmed every one of his presents videos months before the characters are actually unveiled. It doesn't take a rocket scientist then to say that they are probably way further ahead in development when compared to the timeline Nintendo has us on to actually receive that content. So I would not be shocked if we suddenly get a bunch of characters released in short quick bursts next year.

Something else to ponder is that the second fighter's pass was a finalized in June of last year, right after E3. It was that same time period we had the copyright strikes against the Mario RPG music, then a couple months later we had the Cacomallow leak. Geno has been rumored for a longer time than that, but it's interesting to mention nonetheless.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So... I guess I have a lot to talk about now. Woke up to my phone being blown up with messages and I wanted to get context about the SMRPG Remake/Sequel rumors. Apparently it was Rogersbase that made the story public in a recent podcast and not someone in the Geno fanbase so I wanted to make absolutely sure it wasn't someone in our camp that broke the story despite a promise of secrecy regarding it since April. This said, it's been a very tight kept secret in the Geno fanbase since the Spring and I want to publicly thank everyone that was trusted with this for not leaking it. Again, when people say the Geno fanbase is "the worst fanbase ever", this is another reason on the pile why those people can go **** themselves. This was trusted to several dozen people and the fact that not a single one leaked for e-cred/e-fame says a lot. Still, thank you guys and once I get another cup of coffee in me I'm going to do a write up on my own history with the SMRPG remake/sequel info.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
EDIT; Decided against a long post of ff7 remake when this is the geno thread.
I would trust the Enix guys to do a remake of smrpg after playing DQXI. Those guys get it. Now the rythm part of the game would be kind of hard to remake.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
To quickly go back to the whole RogersBase case (ha rhymes), I thought about the possibility that he is just referring to “Twitter girl”. To some, that may lower the credibility of the information Roger is sharing, but, in my opinion after thinking about it a little, I think it would only boost the credibility of “Twitter girl”.

Her apparently knowing the dates of the last four Nintendo Directs is interesting (though how nobody besides Roger has noticed is a little weird), and it would seem Roger knows enough about her to know she isn’t a “wannabe insider”.

Just if it is her, the fact that Roger, a Nintendo ambassador, would trust her enough to relay the information, I think would go in her favour.
I found this photo yesterday about what Sharon has said in the past:
EhBjjitWoAMQxcj.jpeg

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I think people in the Smash community are so accustomed to "big name" leakers that they put too much trust in people like Sabi and Vergeben still even when they've fallen for fake leaks and rumors themselves and totally dismiss anyone else. But the reality is the people intentionally keeping a low profile despite being privy to actual inside information are probably a lot smarter when you think about it. "Twitter girl" is followed by a "big name" leaker and if she is known by RogersBase as well that could be pretty telling.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So... I guess I have a lot to talk about now. Woke up to my phone being blown up with messages and I wanted to get context about the SMRPG Remake/Sequel rumors. Apparently it was Rogersbase that made the story public in a recent podcast and not someone in the Geno fanbase so I wanted to make absolutely sure it wasn't someone in our camp that broke the story despite a promise of secrecy regarding it since April. This said, it's been a very tight kept secret in the Geno fanbase since the Spring and I want to publicly thank everyone that was trusted with this for not leaking it. Again, when people say the Geno fanbase is "the worst fanbase ever", this is another reason on the pile why those people can go **** themselves. This was trusted to several dozen people and the fact that not a single one leaked for e-cred/e-fame says a lot. Still, thank you guys and once I get another cup of coffee in me I'm going to do a write up on my own history with the SMRPG remake/sequel info.
Whoah what now? Remake/sequel? If true that's crazy

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, if the remake/sequel to Super Mario RPG is happening, how do you think the art direction is going to be handled? 3D models, claymation style ala Link's Awakening, or 2D art direction?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, if the remake/sequel to Super Mario RPG is happening, how do you think the art direction is going to be handled? 3D models, claymation style ala Link's Awakening, or 2D art direction?
Who would be making it? Square?
I'm not sure square would have the same stylistic choices as Nintendo

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
2d isometric dosn't age that well, as someone who played several on the gameboy advance, it just isnt that good for 3d games where you have to land on things, depth perception just sucks, given how mario rpg has a few platforming sections i feel like it is safe to cross this one out. 3d seems the most likely to me, square enix had no reason to care about making a sequal, until they saw the high demand from the smash ballet, given they know how many people want it, combined with smash to advertise it, i imagine they are willing to give it a higher budget

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I mean at this point with how their relationship has improved I don't see why it couldn't be another collaboration between the two.
Yeah. Square already developed four other Mario spinoffs during the Wii/DS era (Hoops 3-on-3, Itadaki Street DS, Sports Mix, and Fortune Street). So them finally getting another RPG stab at the series doesn’t seem that crazy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In retrospect the fact that an artist said Nintendo HQ was buzzing about Geno a few years ago should have been a sign that his reemergence wouldn't be just tied to Smash.
Nah we definitely discussed that in the past. But when years of no announcements happen it just kind of falls to the side

AugustusB

Smash Champion
In retrospect the fact that an artist said Nintendo HQ was buzzing about Geno a few years ago should have been a sign that his reemergence wouldn't be just tied to Smash.
And the fact that was after Square was talking about exploring older titles for remakes/remasters after FFVIIRemake got announced in 2015.

The pieces have been falling into place for a long while now.

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
I saw RogersBase speak on the rumor and I felt a weight off my shoulders.
I’d heard a bit about a SMRPG remake from a few different people who also heard about it. It seems like it’s been on the backburner of development for a while. Eager to see what Fatman has to say on it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, since the visuals look very clay-like already, I imagine that's what they'd go with. But then again, Nintendo tends to be pretty touchy regarding how Mario is potrayed, so perhaps they'd just use the standard Mario designs for the Mario characters and update the OG characters accordingly by making them more proportional to the Mario cast.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, since the visuals look very clay-like already, I imagine that's what they'd go with. But then again, Nintendo tends to be pretty touchy regarding how Mario is potrayed, so perhaps they'd just use the standard Mario designs for the Mario characters and update the OG characters accordingly by making them more proportional to the Mario cast.
I could definitely see that.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I would not mind if they went a hybrid of clay-like feel and the Odyssey engine. Hell, even just using the Odyssey engine with Square's magic touch - THAT would be heaven.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
??? I didn't do anything, did I? Sharon and others have come forth about the remake/sequel rumor, all I did was admit I heard about it months ago.
Finally responded! I meant the first to say among the Geno Fan base to speak. I did not mean it as a "What have you done!?!?!" moment.

More like, "Finally, we can talk about it." Nah you did nothing wrong, my friend.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I would not mind if they went a hybrid of clay-like feel and the Odyssey engine. Hell, even just using the Odyssey engine with Square's magic touch - THAT would be heaven.
Honestly I assumed that they'd do something similar to the Awakening artstyle for either an Earthbound remake or something SMRPG related. It fits and it'd be a way of separating it from the other Mario RPG frnachises.

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
Very high chance of it being similar to Link’s Awakening. Either in art style or in faithfulness.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, I guess the cat is out of the bag regarding the SMRPG Remake/Sequel rumors. As I've said in the past, I tend to not openly talk about things if they haven't gone public and with this, I was really, really hoping it was going to stay a secret until the big day but I guess that was a little too optimistic. Oh well... For something this potentially big, as little as 5 days until the payout has got to be a record. Like I said in my last post, it's collectively been a Geno fanbase secret since about April and I'm going to go into my history with it and how we got to this point. Obviously, I can't share absolutely everything but I wanted to give you all a clearer picture of this whole situation.

The story technically begins in December. I first made this public here back in December:

I then went into further explanation about this "Christmas Gift" in late January here:

smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2366#post-23817138

Up to this point, it was pretty easy to deduce what the three games were and one was very obviously SMRPG. I figured that they were simply teasing Geno in Smash and then something hard clicked in my brain in February... This contact didn't believe Geno was going to be playable in Smash so why the hell would he be teasing that? I made note of this but I didn't want to pry. This very obviously deduced a sequel or remake but there wasn't a lot of evidence supporting it at the time so I simply tucked it into my pocket.

Fast forward to April. Several members of the Geno community came across some pretty damning evidence that, at the very least, a SMRPG Remake was likely coming. Maybe like 5 people were trusted with this information at the time. By June, this evidence snowballed to the point that several dozen people in the Geno community were trusted with this information. It was pretty simple, if someone leaked it, they were pretty much going to be hard punted from the community and, miraculously, literally everyone respected that. On my end of things, there's a number of things that pointed to this being true such as the Square spirit events, Mario and Square Smash Amiibo being rereleased together in September, SMRPG being missing from the NSO, etc. There was already a ton supporting Geno for Smash and then this started pouring in. Several notable people not connected with the Geno community reached out to me in July backing that they had heard the SMRPG Remakes rumors from their camps as well, turning what was Mount Everest into Mount Olympus.

From there, I've subtly been teasing it for months now with surprisingly no one catching on. Here are some of my more obnoxious teases on the topic:

So, long story short, the SMRPG remake/sequel rumor has technically existed for close 10 months on my end so this all didn't magically appear out of nowhere. As shown, there's a hell of a lot of substance to it and the rest of the Board of Elders and I were really hoping to surprise you all with it but, as the French say "Queso Syran Wrap, Syran Wrap" or whatever. I guess it was kind of naive given how Banjo was hard spoiled before his reveal and most people didn't believe it until he big ****in' goofy face "guh huh'd" in HD on their computer screens so I imagine that this is basically the same. SMRPG remake/sequel is pretty likely aaaaaaaaaaaaaand probably how Nintendo convinced Square to let Geno into Smash because Square is pretty yum-yum-eat-em-up when it comes DLC and wanting to hard advertise their own games. Just wanted to clear this all up and, once again, I wanted to personally thank the Geno community and my own personal confidants for keeping this a secret for so long. You guys rock and now I hope more of you understand why I've been so hard optimistic about Geno this entire year.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Finally responded! I meant the first to say among the Geno Fan base to speak. I did not mean it as a "What have you done!?!?!" moment.

More like, "Finally, we can talk about it." Nah you did nothing wrong, my friend.
Ah okay was just making sure. Yeah, I don't check back as often as I used to. Star Road's been eating my time, as has being resubbed back to FFXIV, haha. I do still lurk around here from time to time though.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Ok, this Off-Topic of a SMRPG Sequel or Remake but you should check this, this was posted in June 5th:
EhBoV0dWAAIfLp6.jpeg

Translation: Leak Warning! Hello! We have a suprising new. Look, it's from the Same source which let us know that a Papaer Mario is coming to the Switch. These are the next games which will come out in September, October and November. Super Mario 3D All Stars, Pikmin 3, Cadence Of Hyrule (Physical) and a New Fire Emblem game (It seems like a Remaster or Port). Like I said you, this has strong chances of been real. Because it isn't from any source.
What do you think? Maybe is the FE 6/7 Remakes?
Pd: What is Fatmanonice Fatmanonice talking about a message he made about a SMRPG Remake or Sequel BACK IN APRIL? Can I get context?
EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I want to know exactly WHERE this rumor comes from and how credible the person who made it known in secret is before I get excited!

Edit: Omega ninja'd

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Ah, it's a beautiful day outside today! Warm sun, cool breeze... maybe I'll check in on my favorite SmashBoards thread.

"Hey Genobros, what's happening-"

...I see
20200817_142348.jpg

Okay, so Geno is in right? Seriously though, like, come on. A few times in my head I worry I'm looking into things too much and worry we're all just in our little bubble hoping for Geno and it seems likely in our eyes but maybe outside of that, our biases are clouding our judgment. ...but no. No, I don't think that's the case. As Polarthief Polarthief 's list has documented, the amount going for Geno at this point is honestly pretty overwhelming.

No one will convince me that all of these insiders discussing Geno in Smash and Super Mario RPG out of the blue is nothing to look at. Sure maybe if one of two insiders made one or two comments, but that's not what this is anymore. So many people are coming out and randomly bringing up Super Mario RPG. It means something.

What also means something is Super Mario Bros. 35's announcement the other day. Hmm, it just so happens Nintendo recently took down a fan-made Super Mario Battle Royale game that looks really close to this official game Nintendo were making? Just like with AM2R and Samus Returns' situation. As people said the other day, these things do mean something. Just like the Megalovania takedown. But hm... why was Super Mario RPG music and Legacy XP taken down? Hm... I wonder

And now there are rumors of a Super Mario RPG remake or sequel? Seriously, there is all of this smoke around Geno and Super Mario RPG right now it seems. And you know what I've brought up before,

"Where there's smoke..."
20200713_133043.jpg

Yeah, sorry haters, Geno is looking more likely as the days pass us by. He is... inevitable.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I want to know exactly WHERE this rumor comes from and how credible the person who made it known in secret is before I get excited!
I think at this point. It’s stemming from multiple places and not just one singular source

Polarthief

Smash Lord
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 I've been saying for many months now over on SR that Geno is a lock in my eyes. I've chosen to steel my resolve because I was so fed up with the paranoia and anxiety of "will they won't they?", and now seeing how far we've come since then, I know I made the right decision to go all in. Geno is absolutely, as you put it, inevitable, to the point where I've even seen some 4channers and GameFAQs people taking a knee and admitting defeat, before he's even been officially announced!

Even without the SMRPG remake/sequel (which is it?!?!?!) rumors, Geno was already a lock. The evidence has just been snowballing out of control in his favor to the point where even PapaGenos, who tends to restrict his talk about Geno (out of potential bias) can't even keep Geno out of the conversation anymore since it's so obvious to everyone not in denial that he's on his way in as DLC 7/Fighter 77... of the 7 Stars.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
AdamBel731 AdamBel731 I've been saying for many months now over on SR that Geno is a lock in my eyes. I've chosen to steel my resolve because I was so fed up with the paranoia and anxiety of "will they won't they?", and now seeing how far we've come since then, I know I made the right decision to go all in. Geno is absolutely, as you put it, inevitable, to the point where I've even seen some 4channers and GameFAQs people taking a knee and admitting defeat, before he's even been officially announced!

Even without the SMRPG remake/sequel (which is it?!?!?!) rumors, Geno was already a lock. The evidence has just been snowballing out of control in his favor to the point where even PapaGenos, who tends to restrict his talk about Geno (out of potential bias) can't even keep Geno out of the conversation anymore since it's so obvious to everyone not in denial that he's on his way in as DLC 7/Fighter 77... of the 7 Stars.
I've said for a while now that I was confident in Geno's chances. So much so that I made a bet with my brother with real cash. I have predicted Geno and been in here with all of these Geno fans because I felt he was pretty darn likely. But now seeing Super Mario Bros. 35 and these rumors of Super Mario RPG being revisited? ...yeah, Geno seems pretty likely more than ever before. It's only a matter of time before he is revealed.

At this point I feel like a lot of the Geno fanbase is currently blocking out the haters and just sitting patiently like this until "the day of reckoning"
20200817_101612.jpg

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
But wait, wait, WAIT! i still need to know: WHERE is the rumor COMING FROM and how certain is it? As certain as the Mario collection? Did the people who leaked this to the geno community have a reliable track record? I get that you and others kept it secret, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , but how credible is it? Im confused! Ahhh!

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I found this photo yesterday about what Sharon has said in the past:
View attachment 284613
There still is nothing here that is greatly revelatory. All of this stuff can be seen as coincidental. but I'm starting to think she's not the person Roger was referring to

Also tin foil hat time, but if tanabe is talking about Paper Mario no longer needing to be the RPG series because another one exists well.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom