• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
This has started to circulate. Take as you will, I do want to see if I can find that user though.

Does anyone have the link to what he's referencing here?

Would be very interesting information to go over, I'm sure.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This has started to circulate. Take as you will, I do want to see if I can find that user though.

Shofu is a Poketuber, but the guy who is talking may be Rogersbase. It sounds a lot like him.

Boy howdy, what a time we live in.

EDIT: Shofu hasn't done a lot of Pokemon games in awhile, but wildly known as such.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Gonna need more info on this before making any judgments, like the name of that Twitter user who supposedly predicted the last four dates correctly and is now spreading this around...

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Shofu is a Poketuber, but the guy who is talking may be Rogersbase. It sounds a lot like him.
Is he really a Poketuber anymore? He hasn´t done any Pokemon-related content at all for months on both Twitch and Youtube

Edit - There is no way in hell that we are getting a sequel before a remake of the first. Sure, Geno is big within the Smash community, but the game isn´t exactly big outside of it.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
There is no way in hell that we are getting a sequel before a remake of the first. Sure, Geno is big within the Smash community, but the game isn´t exactly big outside of it.
I'm questioning the logic of your entire statement, here. What's your reasoning for both of those points?

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Geno is awesome

When did he become Popular anyway?
1996. Or 2006. He was heavily requested on Brawl.

I sure hope it's not that girl who says to take the rumour with a pinch of salt or tiffany treadmore.

Gonna need more info on this before making any judgments, like the name of that Twitter user who supposedly predicted the last four dates correctly and is now spreading this around...
That would be highly interesting.

D

Deleted member

I think we may get a remake before a sequel. Another SMRPG game is very possible in the future since Square has stated they’re interested in remaking old games like they did with Trials of Mana. Maybe Roger meant to say remake or the leaker got sequel wrong but it’s a remake instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm questioning the logic of your entire statement, here. What's your reasoning for both of those points?
The hardcore Smash fanbase is a fraction of what the casual audience is. It's within the hardcore Smash fanbase that he is truly known. Especially with the game not releasing in Europe. That is why, it is a smarter move, to draw the casual audience in with a remake before even thinking about a sequel. That's what I mean. Heck, for me personally, I only know of the game because I randomly found it on Wii´s VC.

For example. Before Spiderman into the Spiderverse, go to 1000 random people, and about 90 to 95% would say that they don´t know who the heck he was because Peter Parker has always been Spiderman for the casual audience.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think we may get a remake before a sequel. Another SMRPG game is very possible in the future since Square has stated they’re interested in remaking old games like they did with Trials of Mana. Maybe Roger meant to say remake or the leaker got Sequel wrong but it’s a remake instead.

That was back in 2015!?! I was always under the assumption this was said around the time of Octopath Traveler. Also, when was that infamous Geno picture/gif dated again? The one where the artist is from Nintendo and said that Geno was a hot topic in the office? 2016?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Assuming this info is accurate at all, there's two possibilities I see from this...
  • The "sequel" part is incorrect, and we're actually getting a remake of Super Mario RPG.
  • The "sequel" part is correct, and we are indeed getting a sequel, with the first game just being released on the NSO SNES service.
Also, notice how the guy says that the Super Mario RPG sequel is scheduled for November alongside... something, which he didn't say because he was cut-off. Gee, I wonder what he was about to say...

D

Deleted member

That was back in 2015!?! I was always under the assumption this was said around the time of Octopath Traveler. Also, when was that infamous Geno picture/gif dated again? The one where the artist is from Nintendo and said that Geno was a hot topic in the office? 2016?
Yeah, I think so.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Awkwah would know better to not show interest in that clip if it was related to that twitter girl, which makes me guess it's someone else… I dunno what to make of this tbh, or who the hell is Roger talking about, or if that's even credible to begin with anyway.

"not some wanabee insider" when he was asked if jeff grubb lol yikes Roger, placing whoever this is about really high up on a pedestal eh? lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Geno was to promote SMRPG remake, then I guess shill picks aren’t necessarily a bad thing heh...

Awkwah

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure Awkwah would know better to not show interest in that clip if it was related to that twitter girl, which makes me guess it's someone else… I dunno what to make of this tbh, or who the hell is Roger talking about, or if that's even credible to begin with anyway.

"not some wanabee insider" when he was asked if jeff grubb lol yikes Roger, placing whoever this is about really high up on a pedestal eh? lol

It is not that "twitter girl" from my understanding, but someone I have not seen yet. I am interested more so as I and a few others have not found this twitter account that is mentioned. A lil bit more public and a few more eyes can help find it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It is not that "twitter girl" from my understanding, but someone I have not seen yet. I am interested more so as I and a few others have not found this twitter account that is mentioned. A lil bit more public and a few more eyes can help find it.
Yeah If roger is willing to call jeff grubb a wanabee insider then it surely as hell isn't about her haha. But yeah, at the end of the day it is definitely questionable whether or not whoever he is talking about is really trustworthy, and if it's on twitter then we clearly haven't seen that thing he saw (even the ones talking to him were like wtf? about it) … hmmm

And yeah Roger claims he saw this on twitter yet no one is even aware of it… not sure what to believe from him really

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we may get a remake before a sequel. Another SMRPG game is very possible in the future since Square has stated they’re interested in remaking old games like they did with Trials of Mana. Maybe Roger meant to say remake or the leaker got sequel wrong but it’s a remake instead.

I kind of hope they remake FF6

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I'm glad the SMRPG Remake/Sequel is finally out in the open so I can update The List™ with a solid entry. For the record, if anyone noticed that "Placeholder Rumor Regarding Geno" line, this is what it was about. I heard about it months ago but was strictly told that I couldn't publicly post about it. FTR: It wasn't an insider who asked me (and others as well) to keep quiet though.

Also I believe The List™ is now up-to-date, and if not, someone ping me on Discord (or here, and maybe I'll look at it) with any updates I need on there.

If Geno was to promote SMRPG remake, then I guess shill picks aren’t necessarily a bad thing heh...
I've said this a handful of times awhile ago, but there's a difference between a shill pick and an advertised (or "ad") pick:
  • Shill Picks: Very few to basically no one asked for this. It was purely done to promote a game/series/product. These are just bad picks and shame on Nintendo for forcing them. (e.g., Corrin and Byleth)
  • Ad Picks: While the timing of their reveal/release was to promote something, they're still a character that has been requested by a lot of people. Honestly, I don't think anyone cares that they're being used as an ad pick because people are just happy to get a highly-requested character. (e.g., Hero [in Japan] and Geno [supposedly])

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

As cool as this would be, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would willingly retool their own RPG games into adventure games in order to have this hypothetical sequel/remake make more of a splash. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

I'm glad the SMRPG Remake/Sequel is finally out in the open so I can update The List™ with a solid entry. For the record, if anyone noticed that "Placeholder Rumor Regarding Geno" line, this is what it was about. I heard about it months ago but was strictly told that I couldn't publicly post about it. FTR: It wasn't an insider who asked me (and others as well) to keep quiet though.

Also I believe The List™ is now up-to-date, and if not, someone ping me on Discord (or here, and maybe I'll look at it) with any updates I need on there.

I've said this a handful of times awhile ago, but there's a difference between a shill pick and an advertised (or "ad") pick:
  • Shill Picks: Very few to basically no one asked for this. It was purely done to promote a game/series/product. These are just bad picks and shame on Nintendo for forcing them. (e.g., Corrin and Byleth)
  • Ad Picks: While the timing of their reveal/release was to promote something, they're still a character that has been requested by a lot of people. Honestly, I don't think anyone cares that they're being used as an ad pick because people are just happy to get a highly-requested character. (e.g., Hero [in Japan] and Geno [supposedly])
Wait, that was a secret? I could've sworn that rumor had been floating around publicly for a while now. Or maybe I'm mistaking it for the numerous times people in this thread have thossed the idea around.

T2by4

Smash Lord

Wait are you actually saying that the rumor for a sequel is true? And why is it that you say it's finally open? Which is it, a remake or a sequel because those are two totally different things. I don't want to board the hype train without fully knowing the facts, and I swear we already established that one twitter user the other day that was spreading that rumor didn't have much history regarding leaks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't want this thread to go full Blocked Content and make up rumors that flat out aren't true yet. I've honestly never heard of a sequel/remake for smrpg happening.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

So this was something that was floating around behind the scenes for a while before now going public?

Hopefully, we won't have to wait long before finding out if this is real or not, considering we got an amiibo wave this month and we all know what usually coincides with amiibo waves... though I still want to know who on Twitter is bringing this out.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
The hardcore Smash fanbase is a fraction of what the casual audience is. It's within the hardcore Smash fanbase that he is truly known. Especially with the game not releasing in Europe. That is why, it is a smarter move, to draw the casual audience in with a remake before even thinking about a sequel. That's what I mean. Heck, for me personally, I only know of the game because I randomly found it on Wii´s VC.
You're making the claim that the casual players of the Smash community don't know who Geno is and/or they wouldn't want him in Smash? The casual players definitely know who Geno is, and they probably want him in the game too. Who do you consider to be the hardcore players? Honestly, that sounds like it's gatekeeping who can or can't want Geno in the game. I mean, yeah, you can argue that only the hardcore fanbase wants him, but I don't see the evidence for that since Geno happens to be all over Smash speculation, hardcore or otherwise.

On a separate note, Europe got SMRPG through the Wii VC as well. As we all know the Wii outsold most consoles, so if the amount of people who looked at the Wii Shop Channel is even remotely comparable to half of the Wii's install base, then SMRPG got much more exposure through the VC than it did through its original sales run on the SNES. That's a lot of people who don't play Smash that could've played SMRPG. And that's not even counting the SNES Mini.

But by all accounts, the Wii VC did its job and showed you what SMRPG is. So let's not discount everyone else who had the same experience, shall we?

For example. Before Spiderman into the Spiderverse, go to 1000 random people, and about 90 to 95% would say that they don´t know who the heck he was because Peter Parker has always been Spiderman for the casual audience.
By your example, the casual audience is this case are people who do not read the comics, play the games, nor watch the cartoons, but only see the movies? Spider-Man doesn't get movies because those casual movie-goers ask for them, Spider-Man gets movies because his fanbase asks for them. The fanbase are the people who read the comics, play the games, watch the cartoons, and are the driving force of the character's popularity. They always have been, and always will be. Does this mean that the casual movie-goers don't ask for more of those movies? No, it doesn't. They enjoy what they saw and ask for more, too.

It's like going up to 1000 random people and asking them who Link is. I'm sure a lot of them would have no clue. This is a false-equivalence. Asking the random crowd to determine a character's popularity doesn't mean anything. Popularity is only determined through the fanbase (either casual or hardcore), as they are the group of people who will most likely consume the product. In this case, I'm referring to gamers; but there isn't a 1-to-1 between move-goers and gamers as even casual gamers buy the games which are the primary product of the fanbase here. The purchase of the games is the primary trait shared between casuals and hardcores alike. Either way, they have to consume the product to be considered a gamer.

Casual gamers play and enjoy games, too. Casual gamers play and enjoy SMRPG, too.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

TL;DR, Casual gamers can like and ask for Geno too. Geno isn't popular because people are asking for him in Smash, people are asking for him in Smash because he's popular.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Wait, that was a secret? I could've sworn that rumor had been floating around publicly for a while now. Or maybe I'm mistaking it for the numerous times people in this thread have thossed the idea around.
And why is it that you say it's finally open?
So this was something that was floating around behind the scenes for a while before now going public?
All I know was it was posted in Star Road and was requested it not be spread outside of the Discord. I did my part, outside of putting a "Placeholder Rumor".

Wait are you actually saying that the rumor for a sequel is true?
Which is it, a remake or a sequel because those are two totally different things.
N-no, I definitely don't have that information. All I'm saying is that both Sharon and this person "Roger" is talking about in the Twitch clip have said "Sequel", and we've heard many others mentioning "Remake" prior to that. We have no idea which one it is, but if I had to guess, my money's on sequel, because SMRPG on NSO sure would be a weird thing to add when you're remaking the game and expecting people to buy it. That'd be like putting N64 on NSO and giving people SM64 for free when you're selling the 3D collection.

I don't want to board the hype train without fully knowing the facts, and I swear we already established that one twitter user the other day that was spreading that rumor didn't have much history regarding leaks.
Sharon definitely has some (positive) history and she's also followed by Emily Rogers (who is an insider).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't want this thread to go full Blocked Content and make up rumors that flat out aren't true yet. I've honestly never heard of a sequel/remake for smrpg happening.
Except this one has been floating around for awhile, similar to the Mario 3D Collection. This isn't some bullcrap rumor like the garbage Markomaro was trying to feed us awhile back (remember Paper Mario 64 remake on 3DS? lololol). If it's true, I don't know, but one thing is for sure: A LOT of people are talking about SMRPG and/or Geno at this point.

Hopefully, we won't have to wait long before finding out if this is real or not, considering we got an amiibo wave this month and we all know what usually coincides with amiibo waves... though I still want to know who on Twitter is bringing this out.
I mean, Geno is in, that much is a guarantee, so when they reveal him, it's extremely likely they would reveal this rumor too. I don't see one happening without the other present (and as a bonus, SMRPG on NSO probs around the same time). Also with all the evidence given the Amiibo wave, the lack of a holiday title, the scheduled Mario event in Smash that's not for a few months, and many other things, I'd wager a small bet on a direct next week revealing this stuff. That's just my two cents.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Seriously though I feel like Sunshine is the Melee of the 3D Mario games. The games skill ceiling is quite high to master but it’s like a dance of jumps and flips and spins and dives once you get it down. Sunshine is fast, like really fast. Yeah it definitely has its quirks like the Lilly pad and pachinko parts but really I think Sunshine is THE most fun to master. Definitely the Melee, to Mario 64’s Smash 64, then followed by a casual masterpiece in Brawl/Galaxy.

You could even keep this comparison going.

T2by4

Smash Lord
All I know was it was posted in Star Road and was requested it not be spread outside of the Discord. I did my part, outside of putting a "Placeholder Rumor".

N-no, I definitely don't have that information. All I'm saying is that both Sharon and this person "Roger" is talking about in the Twitch clip have said "Sequel", and we've heard many others mentioning "Remake" prior to that. We have no idea which one it is, but if I had to guess, my money's on sequel, because SMRPG on NSO sure would be a weird thing to add when you're remaking the game and expecting people to buy it. That'd be like putting N64 on NSO and giving people SM64 for free when you're selling the 3D collection.

Sharon definitely has some (positive) history and she's also followed by Emily Rogers (who is an insider).

Except this one has been floating around for awhile, similar to the Mario 3D Collection. This isn't some bullcrap rumor like the garbage Markomaro was trying to feed us awhile back (remember Paper Mario 64 remake on 3DS? lololol). If it's true, I don't know, but one thing is for sure: A LOT of people are talking about SMRPG and/or Geno at this point.

I mean, Geno is in, that much is a guarantee, so when they reveal him, it's extremely likely they would reveal this rumor too. I don't see one happening without the other present (and as a bonus, SMRPG on NSO probs around the same time). Also with all the evidence given the Amiibo wave, the lack of a holiday title, the scheduled Mario event in Smash that's not for a few months, and many other things, I'd wager a small bet on a direct next week revealing this stuff. That's just my two cents.
And that does nicely tie everything together like a bow on a christmas wrapped present when you consider that nearly every well known insider has been constantly talking about smrpg recently and Geno. Not even including Sharon, but jeff, zell, and bunch of others just teasing and out of nowhere talking about smrpg. It's really hard to ignore all that unless they specifically all coordinate to tease us for no reason.

If this is true, this may just be one of the biggest red carpet treatments for a Smash character ever.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
For sure. It's entirely possible he got mixed up, but even still, Sharon mentioning a sequel + past insiders mentioning a remake = good times inbound?
Definitely. The RogersBase stuff isn’t really necessary in the long run. This past week has given us a lot of promising signs already from Ryce to another Nintendo project relating to something they’ve taken down in the past. Hope Smash news isn’t too far off

D

Deleted member

And that does nicely tie everything together like a bow on a christmas wrapped present when you consider that nearly every well known insider has been constantly talking about smrpg recently and Geno. Not even including Sharon, but jeff, zell, and bunch of others just teasing and out of nowhere talking about smrpg. It's really hard to ignore all that unless they specifically all coordinate to tease us for no reason.

If this is true, this may just be one of the biggest red carpet treatments for a Smash character ever.
King Zell talked about SMRPG? This is news to me...

Source?

Last edited by a moderator:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The guy in the clip (is it Rogersbase or someone else?) says that the Super Mario RPG sequel is meant to coincide with something in November. It could be anything, but I think it's a safe bet he was gonna say Geno in Smash, implying Geno's gonna be revealed in November... but then you have the amiibo wave in September, implying Geno (if he's the next character) will be revealed in September as well...

It's a little weird, though maybe it's possible that Geno will be revealed in September (in a Direct, a Direct mini, or some other presentation), while he'll be released in November to coincide with a Super Mario RPG sequel reveal... or it's possible that the "something" coinciding with the sequel is something else entirely, and Geno's reveal and release is entirely in September.

QQS

Smash Lord
Can you imagine? We all die in tears of joy just with Geno playable.

Imagine:

-Geno playable as #77
-SMRPG to the SNES online
-SMRPG totally Remake or Sequel; and Geno promoting it
-And yes the Geno amiibo

The long road is going to end...GENO GETS THE SHOW ON THE ROAD!

(There is no chance in hell that the Tagline they will use is a different from a one of my ending Yellow posts hahaha)

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight

Imagine:

-Geno playable as #77
-And yes the Geno amiibo

(There is no chance in hell that the Tagline they will use is a different from a one of my ending Yellow posts hahaha)
I totally thought of another tagline for Geno:

GENO GOES FULL FORCE

I thought it sounded cool. Though it lacks the mention of a pulsating rod.

D

Deleted member

Imagine:

-Geno playable as #77
-And yes the Geno amiibo

If Geno gets added to the banner, I can imagine him having his own unique sound effect like how they did with Joker and Plant.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
From someone who’s favorite 3D Mario is tied between Sunshine and Galaxy 2 I resent that statement.
I haven´t played sunshine in more than a decade. Sunshine was definitely a disappointment in it´s time. Hard to do a BESTGAMEEVER/DEFINEGAMING trick twice in a row. But out of all the post mario´s, it´s the best one ( hated playing galaxy on the wii, because I was massively dissapointed in the wii)
I see we’re in the Endgame now.
( No dream too medium rare plays on the background)
Is this hope?
I want a sequel to SMRPG much more than I want a remake, to be honest.
Be careful what you wish for....
I don´t know what I want, specially if Square´s behind it. FF7R proved that they just can´t be trusted with doing a simple thing. Then again, it depends what studio is behind it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom