• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
Uematsu Nobuo has some tracks from SMRPG that are just tracks from other FF games, and those likely aren't going to be the ones they add in Smash along with Geno.

Again, for Sakurai, it's likely easier than we thought. He doesn't let negotiations come in the way of him getting a character he wants.

SMRPG was released on the WiiU VC so, yes, it is actually available for Europe to play. And even if it wasn't, there are characters like Lucas who's game is still unavailable for some regions of the world.

In Ultimate, he's one of the few characters who's Mii costume still hasn't returned from Smash 4, so it could be time for his reveal. Also, I think you're underestimating how much fan request affects a character's chances. It brought Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo into Smash, and it could do the same for Geno. He's the most requested character not in the game yet and FP2 could finally be his time.

Not to mention that Geno would represent the SNES era, Nintendo and Square's partnership, and the Mario RPGs. Between this and many years of :ultrosalina::ultness:fan request, Geno is very much worth it.
Not to mention, SMRPG is on the SNES Classic. Many people the world over have discovered the game in that way. You're right about the three Uematsu tracks probably being harder to obtain, but I just really hope Fight Against Culex makes it! Even if it's only ported!

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I don't think any of us know how the licensing process works - the best we can do is make educated guesses. From what I recall, the composer for Dragon Quest owns the rights to the music (which is why he gets a special credit in Hero's trailer), but I'm not sure if that applies to all of the composers that Square-Enix works with or if it's just him. (if it's a general deal, Yoko Shimomura's heavily involved in Smash, so I don't think that music would be an issue in Geno's case)

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned that there's been an issue with the characters or stages - it mainly seems to have been the music. (and, in Cloud's case, the spirits - I'm not sure if that's an issue with Tetsuya Nomura, or if Akira Toriyama is more generous/doesn't care, or how that works) Given Yoko Shimomura's heavy involvement in Smash (both in terms of her original music and being involved in the remixes) and Mario RPG already having spirits in Smash, I don't think licensing would be a particularly big obstacle when it comes to Geno. Then again, I'm not sure about what all goes into the licensing negotiations; I'm just basing it on what's already in Smash.
As I understand the whole Dragon Quest music situation is rare. Usually the composers don't keep the rights to songs created specifically for games, of-course you always have your exceptions, but I would assume unless stated other wise, Square probably owns most if not all those tracks presented in Mario RPG. Unless they were her original works before she got involved with SMRPG.
I believe art and character designs are the same way, So I don't personally believe that someone like Tetsuya Nomura would have any kind of "Legal" say on the matter.

In that sense,its possible Square may be a little stingy. Although I completely agree with you in terms of we don't know how contracts differ from assists, spirits, and playable fighters. They may all cost the same thing to Nintendo at the end of the day.
Now I don't think this is a obstacle either way for Geno, I believe his chances just come down to whether or not Nintendo is willing to negotiate for him to the same extent they would for a character say like Cloud.

On a side note, might be a rough year for Nintendo. What sucks about their situation they will be competing for consumer dollars towards the end of the year when the PS5 and XBseriesX releases. They may be better off holding on to their bigger budget titles until 2021 if they don't have anything planned for release before October.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Yoko composed the entire soundtrack, incorporating Koji Kondo’s music in some tracks and Nobuo Uemetsu’s in a few (I assume the Culex stuff). No one else worked on it.

Can’t be too bad if third-party stuff isn’t too bad either.

Europe got it on VC starting with the Wii.

You could say the same about Ridley, K. Rool, etc.
Uematsu Nobuo has some tracks from SMRPG that are just tracks from other FF games, and those likely aren't going to be the ones they add in Smash along with Geno.
mmm I'm only a law student so I can't comment with absolute certainty.

But I'm fairly certain there's issues with ownership of the soundtrack due to the joint ownership of the work as a whole. I do not think you can pick and choose what you would like to be separated from the overall copyright.

I can't comment on the extent of which but I imagine it's similar to the final fantasy 7 situation with Nintendo having to pay royalties to each artist to use tracks rather than just being able to get all rights via Square Enix.

I am sure they would want to avoid that if they can

[QUOTE="Megadoomer, post: 24025761

As for the Mario RPG soundtrack, every single song was composed by Shimomura or arranged from songs by Koji Kondo or Nobuo Uematsu. The only Uematsu songs in the entire soundtrack are associated with Culex, so they could just exclude those. (it's not like they'd need Conversation With Culex or Victory Over Culex anyway - Fight Against Culex would be nice, but not absolutely necessary)[/QUOTE]

Addressed above ^ also if it was a commissioned work Square would retain all ownership of the soundtrack but I suspect this isn't the case as if it was we would have gotten more than two tracks from final fantasy. Miami had no issue licensing many tracks from castlevania.

I am sure there's issues of ownership regarding square enix and their sound tracks whether that's on purpose or not I suspect it's the case with square.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

Again, for Sakurai, it's likely easier than we thought. He doesn't let negotiations come in the way of him getting a character he wants.

SMRPG was released on the WiiU VC so, yes, it is actually available for Europe to play. And even if it wasn't, there are characters like Lucas who's game is still unavailable for some regions of the world.

In Ultimate, he's one of the few characters who's Mii costume still hasn't returned from Smash 4, so it could be time for his reveal. Also, I think you're underestimating how much fan request affects a character's chances. It brought Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo into Smash, and it could do the same for Geno. He's the most requested character not in the game yet and FP2 could finally be his time.

Not to mention that Geno would represent the SNES era, Nintendo and Square's partnership, and the Mario RPGs. Between this and many years of fan request, Geno is very much worth it.
Yeah, I was about to add. As far as I know, Uematsu's tracks are all the ones associated with Culex (his conversation, battle, and victory music) all which come from FF4 directly, so it's really unlikely they'd go for those.
The other non-original tracks are Koji Kondo's, stuff like the classic Mario overworld theme, underground theme, etc.
Aside from that, all the original tracks were all composed by Yoko Shimomura, who's already on board with Smash, doing MANY remixes. Not to mention compositions she did for games like Mario & Luigi.

D

Deleted member

But I'm fairly certain there's issues with ownership of the soundtrack due to the joint ownership of the work as a whole. I do not think you can pick and choose what you would like to be separated from the overall copyright.

I can't comment on the extent of which but I imagine it's similar to the final fantasy 7 situation with Nintendo having to pay royalties to each artist to use tracks rather than just being able to get all rights via Square Enix.

Sakurai can pick and choose what tracks he wants in Smash, he doesn't have to include all of them. Yoko Shimomura composed the majority of the SMRPG tracks and she's already involved with the Smash team. They don't need to negotiate with Uematsu Nobuo for any SMRPG music.

Last edited by a moderator:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

Sure they can,

http://yokoshimomura.com/memoria-the-very-best-of-yoko-shimomura/

That seems pretty clear who composed at least these two songs that are Geno focused. Yoko is on the Smash team for music.

Again, why is Geno harder than Cloud and Hero for licensing reasons?

It's pretty simple about Geno: Both Nintendo and Square need to agree on it. There are less parties involved compared to FF and DQ. It seems like you are mudding up the water for no reason. Why are two parties more difficult then 3-4 (with some far pickier than others.)

I am not guaranteeing that "Because of this Geno is in" but I don't get the arguments that mean Geno is harder to get in. It's simple as if both parties agree. Square's biggest IP's are represented, FF and DQ, of course they would get in first. It still takes those two to agree and we can see Square and Nintendo has finally warmed up after so many cold years.

Last edited:

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
Trust me, I was there for Byleth. I was there for literally the entire fanbase ****ting on Byleth for weeks. I was there for people organizing boycotts of FE for weeks. I was there for cosplayers getting harassed and voice actors getting death threats. I was there for FE fans getting boo'd off the internet while every last person in the fanbase ******* and moaned about how horrible fire emblem is and how much they hate Byleth in every last thread on every last site, and in every comment of every tweet and every YouTube video, leaving no safe space for FE fans. I was also there when all fe fans did in response was over post a dumb meme. I garuntee you all would not have handled that situation with nearly as much grace and maturity considering what's been expressed today.
Oh my goodness. Nobody deserves that sort of treatment. Every character is loved by somebody, and the people that bring them to life deserve nothing but love and support from those that love them. It's disgusting that some people would treat anyone that way simply because they aren't what you want. To those people, I would suggest to follow your heart, not your hatred. Hatred and confrontation should be reserved for evil only...

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I'm at work, currently snarfing a pain au chocolat and a cup of coffee because I need my energy later to go into nursing homes and sneeze into people's mouths apparently because I'm literally the Worst™ by general consensus. Resume building activities aside, I'll probably do it after work but three more "weekly" episodes honestly sounds right from a basic glance and that's annoying as hell...
Fatman, please, please, please. PLEASE don't get all this get to you. We've been trying to give you our support and I even admitted I was wrong. We're all gonna get through this together and we need you to be a part of that with us. Don't give up and always remember: Geno is IN! ;)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Trust me, I was there for Byleth. I was there for literally the entire fanbase ****ting on Byleth for weeks. I was there for people organizing boycotts of FE for weeks. I was there for cosplayers getting harassed and voice actors getting death threats. I was there for FE fans getting boo'd off the internet while every last person in the fanbase ******* and moaned about how horrible fire emblem is and how much they hate Byleth in every last thread on every last site, and in every comment of every tweet and every YouTube video, leaving no safe space for FE fans. I was also there when all fe fans did in response was over post a dumb meme. I garuntee you all would not have handled that situation with nearly as much grace and maturity considering what's been expressed today.
whoops... didn´t read your entire comment (please delete admin)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I don’t know much about copyright law, but Nobuo Uematsu didn’t work on the soundtrack. Yoko just made 2-3 arrangements of his FF music for Culex, like how she made arrangements of Koji Kondo’s music. Yoko is the only one who composed for SMRPG, as I said. I highly doubt Uematsu would own rights to the entire soundtrack, that would make no sense at all. Maybe for when people buy the whole OST he gets royalties for the three arrangements Yoko made incorporating his music, idk, but Smash isn’t going to use the whole OST so this isn’t an issue. It would make no sense for him to get paid for tracks he never had anything to do with such as Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms, that would be horrible and stupid handling of copyright.

Info on the OST:
https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_RPG_Original_Sound_Version

And Square themselves potentially having rights to music shouldn’t be an issue either. I don’t believe they themselves are stingy, just they tend to get their stuff into complex copyright stuff, which SMRPG is unlikely to have besides Nintendo and Square owning certain characters.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
People do not seem to understand the nuances of copyright law especially how much it can differ in Japan so I will leave the subject at that.

Just know there's a reason we have more castlevania tracks we can handle from konami while only two square enix tracks have been licensed and Nintendo have pubicly commented on the difficulty of getting cloud in smash.

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
I have to thank you all for keeping Geno alive. He's my favorite Mario character, and the love, thought, and creativity of human souls is what brings them life. Hopefully through our love, and love alone, he will be granted a return.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
When did Nintendo comment on the difficulty of adding Cloud in Smash? Source?

Dragon Quest XI producer Hokuto Okamoto was, in fact, taken aback by the news.

“I was quite surprised when I first heard about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It’s nearly impossible for Dragon Quest characters to appear in other companies’ games,” said Okamoto.

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ? of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.

All this points to square being very hard "impossible" to deal with regarding game licenses

There's also more evidence but I'm sure someone else can link if necessary

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
First I want to address my apologies for attacking Opossum Opossum yesterday. I was just real pissed the other day. I shouldn't have said anything and just kept it to myself.

Yeah, the showcase suck. I think Ultimate is Geno's last chance because as @Fatmanonice said, we are all getting old and Sakurai knows this. Plus SMRPG fans who played it back in the day being over their late 30s or 40s by the time the next Smash comes along.
It's fine. I figured something may have been up so I didn't hold it against you personally.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I want to clarify here that by "you all" I mean the people who have been ****ting on other fanbases today. Not this thread in general. Most of ya'll are pretty chill, and the majority stood up for fe and persona fans today.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
No disrespect to anyone, but I find it very surprising people still want Geno in an era we get 3rd party fighters like Joker in smash.

He seems a bit of a relic of a bygone era. Don't want to say irrelevant as that's harsh, but he is someone younger fans certainly wouldn't know.
Oh, you sweet summer child. We K. Rool fans have such sights to show you!

TriggerX

Smash Ace

“I was quite surprised when I first heard about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It’s nearly impossible for Dragon Quest characters to appear in other companies’ games,” said Okamoto.

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ? of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.

All this points to square being very hard "impossible" to deal with regarding game licenses

That is a bit out of context, and that interview is split into two parts if I'm not mistaken. Also you may be misunderstanding what is being said there.
Sakurai was just explaining his initial thoughts before he reached out, and thought "INITIALLY" it would be impossible. That said, he himself was proved wrong by how easy it was to work with square.

Also from the same interview:

—While we’re talking about third-party characters, did you ever consider including characters like Cloud and Ryu in previous
Smash games?

Sakurai: The thought crossed my mind for a fleeting instant—”I wonder how I could make that work”—but I quickly dismissed the idea (laughs).

(Everyone laughs)

Sakurai: Those third-party characters are huge icons of their respective companies, so such an opportunity is hard to come by. That being said, now that Smash has grown into a well-known franchise, the creators recognize the merits of allowing us to use their characters, so negotiations have tended to go rather smoothly.

—Nevertheless, it’s so impressive you were able to bring Cloud into Smash.

Sakurai: I’m pretty impressed myself (laughs).

—Did Square Enix make any requests?

Sakurai: They supervised the development, providing detailed feedback and harsh criticism, but they didn’t make much in the way of requests. We have our own format for designing content in Smash, and they were gracious enough to grant us considerable freedom when devising Cloud’s attacks, animations, and Special Moves.

D

Deleted member

And what about 2B in Soul Calibur, Noctis in Tekken, and Lara Croft in BrawlHala? Square are clearly open letting their ips in other games nowadays. Square also came quickly to the agreement letting Hero in Smash didn’t they? There was no sign of Square being hard to work with during negotiations and development. Square gave Sakurai freedom and supervision of Cloud.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People do not seem to understand the nuances of copyright law especially how much it can differ in Japan so I will leave the subject at that.

Just know there's a reason we have more castlevania tracks we can handle from konami while only two square enix tracks have been licensed and Nintendo have pubicly commented on the difficulty of getting cloud in smash.
And the FF music was actually made by Uematsu who likely wants royalties. There’s also the DQ music they were able to get 8 midis of, which is more than FF despite DQ’s composer being terribly stingy.

No way would Uematsu get royalties for tracks he never had anything to do with. He didn’t even work on the OST himself. That makes no sense for him to be paid for even BtFM even in Japan’s copyright based on other stuff. And even if so, the worst would be we’d probably only get two tracks. That does absolutely nothing against Geno’s chances.

Sounds like the worries were quickly lightened to me, seems DQ was just as easy as some other third-party franchises aside from music:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ni...s-ultimate-square-enix-dragon-quest-xi-s/amp/

As for Cloud, he may have thought it would be impossible, but based on the interview with him and Nomura you took that excerpt from, it sounds like it went well. There’s also this page with someone interviewing him about the Smash 4 DLC fighters, and while Square did supervise development and provide detailed feedback and harsh criticism, they gave him considerable freedom:
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

None of this suggests Geno would be as hard as you’re making it sound. In fact, you could say the fact he’s a product of Square and Nintendo working together would make him easier, especially since their relationship has been excellent for a good while now.

-got ninja’d on the Cloud stuff but I’m still gonna keep it.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Geno is literally already in the game (in the form of a spirit, meaning his likeness is already licensed to Nintendo) so I have no idea why people are acting like Square Enix's characters are trapped in some kind of bureaucratic nightmare. If Sakurai wants someone in Smash, they'll be in Smash

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Can you just admit you don't want him in? That's fine, or even a better argument is "Square has other popular franchises that would fit better in Smash" is at least a reasonable thought. But the idea of "copyright reasons" "licensing" and etc have no legs to stand on ... or specifically "harder to get in" even after probably the two "most difficult" IPS are in (minus Disney, and no, I am not Anti-Sora I just know from personal experience Disney is hard to deal with and are EXTREMELY protective of their properties).

You still have not explained how less parties involved with Geno (specifically its a character between Square and Nintendo) is more complicated than Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy (which have several parties involved), when you even see articles from Sakurai himself said things went easier than expected.

Oh and Smash 4 had is Mii Costume and his spirit is in Ultimate ... just why keep beating that drum of being too complicated due to licensing issues.

I don't mind the back and forth of personal opinions on a character not getting in or whatever, but the rational is more flawed then Nintendo's decision making lately.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
No offense to WaxPython WaxPython , because i'm sure he means well and on any other normal day we fans would be more than happy to debunk his claims (for the umteenth time in our long history) but...why now? In this most depressing of times, why do you wanna be the soccer mom saying "No. you have Geno at home!"?

Again, This is not an attack upon him, I just fail to see why he would ask us these questions when we're at our lowest point in months.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
WaxPython WaxPython Speaking of music, I'd like to point out that they were able to use 'Beware The Forest's Mushrooms' when they revealed the Geno Mii Costume back during Smash 4.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Remember when people here me included tried to rationalize that there was too much licensing red tape around DQ for a smash character to be possible and therefore Geno was more likely? Are people really trying to pretend that Geno has more licensing issues surrounding him than Dragon Quest?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
WaxPython WaxPython As someone that is not as certain as the rest of the Geno fans that he is included, why are you really here when all the thing you want to say is "he is not in because X, Y or Z... stuff that people have already proven won´t be a problem.

Is there a chance that he won´t be in? Sure. Is there a chance he is returning as a Mii Costume/Premium? Sure... But its also not impossible that he will be a character. Sakurai has wanted him since Brawl, he is the only costume that got a splash screen in Smash 4... The demand is known no matter how the end results turn out.

I respect if you don´t want Geno... We all have our personal wishes, but I don´t see why you want to be here concidering the circumstances. Aren´t there characters you are supporting/hopes for?

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Now that I think of it WaxPython WaxPython ...didn't I have this exact conversation with you about K. rool months before his release?! O.o I seem to recall someone with a pacman avatar named Wax something or other debating me over something similar. Maybe I'm trippin'? :smileye:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since Geno already had the Mii costume in Smash 4 and a Spirit in Ultimate along with Mallow, his copyright shouldn't be a problem in terms of making him playable. I think the ball is in Nintendo's court now and the final call is probably on Nintendo.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
WaxPython WaxPython Speaking of music, I'd like to point out that they were able to use 'Beware The Forest's Mushrooms' when they revealed the Geno Mii Costume back during Smash 4.
I haven't been following what WaxPython has been saying mostly since I just responded to someone because I was tagged, but I do want to point out that technically licensing it for the trailer and licensing it for the game are two separate licensing agreements. One requires a distribution license since you're selling it with the character, and the other is a license for use in advertisement.

A good example of this is how Hero's trailer was able to use the orchestrated Overture and Adventure themes, but the game itself only came with the MIDIs. Licensing for advertisement is usually much cheaper.

That's not saying they couldn't license the music if Geno got in, just that it would be a separate agreement for distribution vs for advertising.

D

Deleted member

Just curious, have any of you gotten 100 super jumps in SMRPG in a row without save states or restore points?

I can only get to 100 super jumps with restore points on my WiiU lol.

Droodle

Smash Lord
And what about 2B in Soul Calibur, Noctis in Tekken, and Lara Croft in BrawlHala? Square are clearly open letting their ips in other games nowadays. Square also came quickly to the agreement letting Hero in Smash didn’t they? There was no sign of Square being hard to work with during negotiations and development. Square gave Sakurai freedom and supervision of Cloud.
Not to mention Cloud, Sephiroth, and Tifa have all appeared in mobile games like Puzzles and Dragons, Dai has appeared in Jump Force, and even outside their gaming division Edward Elric has collabed a ton of times. Square being stingy might be true for base game, but they've been pretty open with collabs overall.

Now if Nintendo asked Square for a new character and if that character is Geno is a separate issue entirely. But within the NICHE of a Square character, Geno has a pretty good shot. Am I sold on him being the ONLY possible pick from Square? No. But copyright issues aren't going to stop Geno. If he's not in Pass 2, it's as simple as Nintendo deciding not to put Geno in Smash as a fighter, or decided to put in another Square/Mario fighter instead. It's not complicated.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just curious, have any of you gotten 100 super jumps in SMRPG in a row without save states or restore points?

I can only get to 100 super jumps with restore points on my WiiU lol.
I don't think I have. I did 100 jumps on the bed or was it the table in Monstro Town though.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I wouldn't personally use this as proof of any kind, only because these things can slip by in presentations when a different team who may not be familiar with ownership is involved. Also Opossum made a really good point in how it could potentially differ.

I will agree with WaxPython that music rights is a bit of a complex issue that deviates from contract to contract. (If thats what hes trying to say) There may be confusion as to who composed the music vs who owns it. The two aren't necessarily always the same or multiple parties could partially own it. Or how the contract is drawn could allow the original creator to use it for other projects specifically.

If square owns both the DQ music and SMRPG music 100% then yea they could be a little stingy, but at the end of the day it just means that Geno comes with 1-2 songs. Which I would assume most fans would take over the worst case scenario.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
From now to End of August like the 15th or 20th I’m expecting a General Direct with a double reveal of #7 and #8, probably Geno and Crash. Let’s keep waiting, they have to reveal more games like Breath and Metroid. And mostly some Smash DLC cause we are in July and only 1/6 revealed. We should at least know and have available 3/6 of the FP2 until end of the year at least.

Geno chances have never been that solid, bright, strong and viable.

Let’s keep calm and do other thing for a while: your job, your studies, other games, gym, whatever.

:)

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
From now to End of August like the 15th or 20th I’m expecting a General Direct with a double reveal of #7 and #8, probably Geno and Crash. Let’s keep waiting, they have to reveal more games like Breath and Metroid. And mostly some Smash DLC cause we are in July and only 1/6 revealed. We should at least know and have available 3/6 of the FP2 until end of the year at least.

Geno chances have never been that solid, bright, strong and viable.

Let’s keep calm and do other thing for a while: your job, your studies, other games, gym, whatever.

:)
Yeah, right now I've been passing the time playing No Man's Sky (which just dropped a new update called Desolation) reading crap on the Falcom Discord, and venting my frustrations regarding Warframe's Steel Path update and how it's hard to find games in it (I just finished Steel Path Mercury and Steel Path Lua so I'm up to four locations finished)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Yoko Shimomura’s Memoria album, featuring Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms and Goodbye Geno, should be enough proof (if the SMRPG OST stuff isn’t somehow) that Uematsu doesn’t get to make bank off of tracks he never worked on considering he’s never mentioned regarding it.

If square owns both the DQ music and SMRPG music 100% then yea they could be a little stingy, but at the end of the day it just means that Geno comes with 1-2 songs. Which I would assume most fans would take over the worst case scenario.
iirc Square let Uematsu (the FF composer) and Sugiyama (the DQ composer) hold rights over the music they make, which is why DQ games always have the midi tracks while Sugiyama sells the orchestrated tracks. Dragon Quest XI got orchestrated tracks, but as an option in the Switch version.

So, it’s likely Square themselves aren’t stingy about music, and Yoko very likely isn’t.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Okay, I can admit that the hype train crashing was a little bit of a bummer, however I had so much making this little animatic over the past week so to cheer some of you guys up, I'll go ahead and get it uploaded later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Its just my own personal journey I went over Geno speculation since the brawl days, so I hope you guys look forward to it. :)

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Anyone else just thinking about how industry insiders like Jeff Grubb and Imran Khan just randomly decided to talk about Super Mario RPG content in Smash on Twitter last night? (Along with André Segers from GameXplain, but he isn't technically an "industry insider.") You know, typical talk to just randomly have right before the rumored Direct with a chunk dedicated to the Super Mario franchise. Definitely doesn't mean anything. Yep, I'm just looking into things too much...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom