• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So, one of the insiders is now saying it's a Mini

View attachment 278961

And the guy who always shows up on RE when a Direct is about to happen backs that up

View attachment 278962

And... the nightmare scenario, another guessing game

View attachment 278964

Ahahahahahaha END ME
Makes sense. I had a feeling, especially after nothing being announced today, that it may end up being a Mini as well, especially since (not sure where I heard this from) apparently Nintendo have said they don't want third party companies to provide trailers and stuff until September, which is usually when they have their big fall Direct.

As an aside, speaking of autumn, I only found out recently that it was announced back in October/November last year that House of the Dead 1 & 2 were getting HD remakes in the same vein as the Panzer Dragoon remake.

Last edited:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
I think the most likely scenario is that insiders just haven't been given enough proper details.

Also, congrats on 3K pages guys. I was told I lurk here enough I should just make an account... So I did.

View attachment 278961

And the guy who always shows up on RE when a Direct is about to happen backs that up

View attachment 278962

View attachment 278964

Ahahahahahaha END ME

D

Deleted member

I think the most likely scenario is that insiders just haven't been given enough proper details.

Also, congrats on 3K pages guys. I was told I lurk here enough I should just make an account... So I did.
Welcome to the thread!

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Zippo also had this to say:

zippo mini direct.png

From what I'm getting at, it looks like it might be just a somewhat short Direct, but not necessarily a Mini Direct? Poor choice of words there if that's the case.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
mxi4m5av9gb51.jpg

People found this easter egg in Origami King. I don't believe in easter egg Smash character teases normally but....

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Jeff Grub of Venture Beat was the one who reported this. I can't find the original tweet, but I do have the Venture Beat direct cancelled article and a relevant tweet.

Makes sense. I had a feeling, especially after nothing being announced today, that it may end up being a Mini as well, especially since (not sure where I heard this from) apparently Nintendo have said they don't want third party companies to provide trailers and stuff until September, which is usually when they have their big fall Direct.

As an aside, speaking of autumn, I only found out recently that it was announced back in October/November last year that House of the Dead 1 & 2 were getting HD remakes in the same vein as the Panzer Dragoon remake.

T2by4

Smash Lord

>a hint for the next fighter
>we'll more than likely have to wait another couple of months
>mfw the hint is that it's a mario character, thus plunging the smash fandom into the Waluigi/Geno wars

1592839510442.gif

T2by4

Smash Lord
We need to make a truce soon so the fanbase doesn't tear itself apart ala Grinch by then.
You know that won't stop the war if it happens. No matter what hint it is, there will always be opposing sides. You can't change that.

D

Deleted member

The thing is though, if this is indeed a mini direct, when are they going to have the presentation that shows off their E3 announcements?

Either Nintendo just isn't working on much at the moment or they are indeed going to have a general direct soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
I don't think they'd be, downright, stupid enough to play that game again. Min Min, apparently, wasn't a big pass seller. While I pretend to be shocked, I expect the next fighter to also be a bit of a letdown. The timeline would suggest E3 would have had Fighter's 7 and 8. It's entirely possible that Fighter 7 is another underwhelming fighter like Min Min, but 8 be a "big gun" like a second from Microsoft. It's especially damning if they only announce one of the planned duo in the next direct.

>a hint for the next fighter
>we'll more than likely have to wait another couple of months
>mfw the hint is that it's a mario character, thus plunging the smash fandom into the Waluigi/Geno wars

View attachment 278973

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
View attachment 278971

People found this easter egg in Origami King. I don't believe in easter egg Smash character teases normally but....
See, paper is made out of wood, so clearly this is a hint that Geno is in. :ultpacman:

The thing is though, if this is indeed a mini direct, when are they going to have the presentation that shows off their E3 announcements?

Either Nintendo just isn't working on much at the moment or they are indeed going to have a general direct soon.
I'm starting to think Nintendo was gonna have a very lackluster E3 presence this year, or were even going to drop off of the venue entirely to be honest. Either that or they are reeeeeeally taking their time to announce what was initially planned to be shown there. I just don't get it either way.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
This is proof we need E3 at the very least to keep Nintendo to at least announce things at the same time each year. Look at all of us being driven to madness.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
It doesn't matter how reasonable a delay is, or how well exceptions like New Horizons perform. Delays are usually a death-sentence for games or game hype. Nintendo knows this especially. They'd wait to announce a game the day before launch if they could.

See, paper is made out of wood, so clearly this is a hint that Geno is in. :ultpacman:

I'm starting to think Nintendo was gonna have a very lackluster E3 presence this year, or were even going to drop off of the venue entirely to be honest. Either that or they are reeeeeeally taking their time to announce what was initially planned to be shown there. I just don't get it either way.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
WOW 3000 already, congrats guys, we did it!!!

If we ended up getting a mini direct I just hope they don't kill part of the mystery like they did with Arms!

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
My personal theory is that ARMS was handled weirdly because the trailer wasn't finished. Either way, there was no reason for them to just keep it on baited breath like that.

WOW 3000 already, congrats guys, we did it!!!

If we ended up getting a mini direct I just hope they don't kill part of the mystery like they did with Arms!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Christ people, CHILL. It's one random guys EXPECTATIONS. The last mini-direct was almost half an hour long anyway, we still know nothing for the rest of the year so regardless literally ANYTHING first party they show will be 100% NEW.

And seriously, the dudes expectations don't even make sense.
  • Why would they showcase Pokemon DLC 2 now when it's not going to be out until atleast Fall instead of waiting until a Fall direct?
  • You really think Nintendo would only show one upcoming first party game when they literally have nothing scheduled for the rest of this year right now? Atleast throw one of the Wii U ports in there, and that's still playing it a bit safe. Like I've said a million times Nintendo isn't going to wait until goddamn September to reveal their Holiday lineup, use your brains people.
  • Why would they do the whole "Fighter from this thing!" again? They only did it for Arms because Min Min got delayed and it really only worked for ARMS because there was no real main character and it was actually a choice, plus it was a choice people really weren't invested in compared to something like "The Next Fighter is from Square!" where people would outright murder each other, you remember what people did just based off of the Seven Squares, imagine that but it's official?

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I keep trying to rationalize this like "No, Nintendo knows how ravenous fans are right now. They wouldn't drop a nothing Direct." But then I remember this is Nintendo we're dealing with, and I remember Bakugan.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 278961

View attachment 278962

View attachment 278964

Ahahahahahaha END ME
>Full fledged Direct may be a Mini now
>Nintendo’s holiday may really be lackluster outside of Mario remasters and Pikmin, and it’s possible NMH3 and BD2 get delayed
>Potentially another damn Arms situation where we play Guess Who and may not actually find out who the character is until September at the earliest
>We may have to wait even longer to find out if Geno is in
68817519-6800-4716-A8F2-C5511F57617D.png

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Bakugan was both a completely unavoidable situation and all on Nintendo. I've dug extensively into it all. WB Games wants every last project out the door, and probably motioned quickly to sign a deal with Nintendo. From what I've dug into, Nintendo most likely gave Wayforward top billing, when even WB Games and Spinmaster didn't, because Wayforward is a trusted name now. Especially as they're in full-blown AAA territory.

I keep trying to rationalize this like "No, Nintendo knows how ravenous fans are right now. They wouldn't drop a nothing Direct." But then I remember this is Nintendo we're dealing with, and I remember Bakugan.
Bravely Default 2 won't get delayed, but No More Heroes 3 is certainly a wild-card.

>Potentially another damn Arms situation where we play Guess Who and may not actually find out who the character is until September at the earliest

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think we should take Ron Paul’s expectations too seriously; yes he may be an insider dude, but as far as I can tell, they’re just his own expectations and may not be fully based on info he’s gotten.

I’m sure we’ll get another first-party announcement or two and I’m sure we’ll get Geno or, if not Geno, another cool character and not a stupid hint that likely won’t do much good for marketing other games that aren’t like ARMS.

At least, I hope so. Still think Geno is likely next, but of course he could be later.

Also, didn’t Nintendo tell third-parties to not send them anything until September? Though they still did the thing with WayForward and shared some other third-party things I guess though not much...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo doing the guessing game again would be the stupidest part of the direct. Like Pinshadow said, It’s reasonable with ARMS because everyone’s the protagonist so there are choices aside Springman and Ribbon Girl that can be in. I can’t really imagine them doing this thing again unless there’s another game with no true protagonist. If Min Min gets pushed back for balancing issues, but not Fighter 7 why delay the real announcement again? Also, it’s one expectation. Personally thinking what’s gonna happen may not mean actual info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
While not pertinent to Geno himself, I'm about the most "hype responsibly" person you could find. Based on the discussions in quieter circles, I think hopes should be high for whatever is coming. If it's a Mini, it certainly won't feel like one.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Alright. I'm about to go make a little Geno toy/figure. Depending on how it turns out, I might post pictures.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I go to work and you guys blow past 3000. A 40 min direct might probably end up happening. Not super long, but not a mini. Seeing how many insiders are not speculating on F-zero/pikmin or SMT, means that those twitter accounts were probably someone pranking.

Heoj

Smash Ace
>Full fledged Direct may be a Mini now
>Nintendo’s holiday may really be lackluster outside of Mario remasters and Pikmin, and it’s possible NMH3 and BD2 get delayed
>We may have to wait even longer to find out if Geno is in
View attachment 278980
You mentioned nmh3 being delayed, and id just like to say that suda is actuvely trolling people with nmh3, most recently suda showed nmh3 running in the background at the end of the devolver digutal presentation so i think its safe to say that development for nmh3 is probably going along fine and i dont expect it to get delayed any time soon.
Also, dang it, we passed 3000 while i was asleep.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Seeing how many insiders are not speculating on F-zero/pikmin or SMT, means that those twitter accounts were probably someone pranking.
Seeing as the email registered for the F-Zero twitter account is the exact same email as the one for Splatoon, Nintendo Versus, and the Mario 35th Anniversary accounts, ending in @nintendo.co.jp, I'm gonna say it's 100% real
1595055539923.png

The Pikmin 4 account doesn't have a recovery email associated with it, so it's probably fake.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Christ people, CHILL. It's one random guys EXPECTATIONS. The last mini-direct was almost half an hour long anyway, we still know nothing for the rest of the year so regardless literally ANYTHING first party they show will be 100% NEW.

And seriously, the dudes expectations don't even make sense.
  • Why would they showcase Pokemon DLC 2 now when it's not going to be out until atleast Fall instead of waiting until a Fall direct?
  • You really think Nintendo would only show one upcoming first party game when they literally have nothing scheduled for the rest of this year right now? Atleast throw one of the Wii U ports in there, and that's still playing it a bit safe. Like I've said a million times Nintendo isn't going to wait until goddamn September to reveal their Holiday lineup, use your brains people.
  • Why would they do the whole "Fighter from this thing!" again? They only did it for Arms because Min Min got delayed and it really only worked for ARMS because there was no real main character and it was actually a choice, plus it was a choice people really weren't invested in compared to something like "The Next Fighter is from Square!" where people would outright murder each other, you remember what people did just based off of the Seven Squares, imagine that but it's official?
Pretty much this, the guy is clearly speculating in that post even if he is an insider. The last one was the "length" of a regular direct, but the difference was that the last one pretty much entirely focused on already known games besides maybe 3rd party ports of smaller games like The Legend of Heroes, and of course Clubhouse Games.

Nintendo right now has literally 0 1st party titles announced for the next year meaning that they'll definitely announce a decent amount of new games, even if they might not be super exciting for everyone. We'll also get information on new (non-ports) 3rd party titles like Bravely Default 2 and NMH 3, and probably a couple of more announcements. BD 2 and NMH 3 haven't been delayed either, the devs of both games have pretty much said that development is going well for both games.

And much like you said, they're most likely not doing another "guess the character". Outside of series that have multiple "main" characters across iterations like Tales or Xeno; or another series with several wanted characters like Mario (or another "ARMS" situation where no one is a main character), it wouldn't work. And even then, it worked for ARMS because it isn't a super speculated series anyways. Nintendo is dumb at times, but they're not dumb enough to create fanbase wars like Geno vs Waluigi, Lloyd vs Yuri, or Rex vs Elma/Fiora/Melia. If a character like that is getting in, that character will immediately be shown off; ARMS worked because none of the characters were super requested, but most people "understood" why they may have been added; but I'm pretty sure even Nintendo knows about how much **** would be generated if popular characters are pitted against each other.

The only thing I disagree with you is the Pokemon point. Because I'm near 100% sure that a Pokemon DLC trailer will be shown off.

Last edited:

JayZoob

Smash Rookie
For anyone worrying that the next direct will only have a tease for the next smash character like how they did with ARMS I would like to point out the removed "new" tag from Min Min. I used the internet wayback machine and on May 15th, which was after we knew about ARMS, the website still labeled Byleth as "new". Now I have no idea when they lost the "new" tag, but it shows they wouldn't remove it from Min Min unless they were revealing the next character

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
This "hint" thing that the Ron Paul guy is saying has made me extremely worried. Like just imagine "the next fighter is from Pokemon Sword and Shield!" :mad::mad::mad:

Even if it was Geno, damn, what a bad way to reveal him, even if i'd still take it. RIP watching reactions

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Serious question, from a technical/gameplay perspective: Is there any way to do a 'premium' Mallow costume without him looking incredibly off?

DIY

Smash Apprentice
I'm just a bit late to the 3000-page party but congratulations everyone! After all these years, we've all managed to keep the Geno train rolling strongly.

I don't think they'd be, downright, stupid enough to play that game again. Min Min, apparently, wasn't a big pass seller. While I pretend to be shocked, I expect the next fighter to also be a bit of a letdown. The timeline would suggest E3 would have had Fighter's 7 and 8. It's entirely possible that Fighter 7 is another underwhelming fighter like Min Min, but 8 be a "big gun" like a second from Microsoft. It's especially damning if they only announce one of the planned duo in the next direct.
Regarding what you said about Min Min apparently not being a big pass seller, is that something you've heard for sure or more of an inference? I'm inclined to believe it if it's true, but I'm just curious whether Nintendo hinted at this information somewhere, like in an interview, or if it's more a commonly held belief in insider circles, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm sure they're aware. While @TerminalMontage and @papagenos ain't here as often as @Fatmanonice, they do drop by actively a bit so they're aware. They probably don't think much of the milestones on this thread like surpassing the Smash 4 K. Rool and Ridley threads and becoming the biggest character support thread in Smashboards history since nether of them ever brought it up here.

Thank you Malo Mart. :)
Ridley had at least five threads, two of which were private.

Ridley threads kept getting locked, mods were stricter on them compared to this one.

Combining them would probably take the page count up to at least 5000 or 6000 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom