• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I could be mistaken but over on twitter Nate Drake debunked the Ryza 4chan leak.
Does anyone have Nate Drakes twitter? I can't seem to find it. I really want to know if this is true or not to reduce the fear of another anime rep.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I am gonna head to bed. All of this is interesting to say the least. I like both sides on this one. Now if I sleep and wake up to "Another thing happened!" Or "The video is down!" I will just sit back and watch all the pieces fall into place.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Direct Feed Games gives off this cocky vibe I absolutely hate. Other "leakers" show restraint in their arrogance about being right. He goes full arrogant about EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be a much greater sign of incompetence to upload a video unintentionally leaking that Geno is to be announced as a playable character in Smash. My money is definitely on her just not being super specific, and her editor not knowing exactly what to add as visual aid for her statement.
Horton wouldn't be in charge up publishing the video though. GameStop has producers that would do that for them. Someone most likely got overzealous and published the video without doing their due diligence.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, putting this all together, this quote "There's a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash!" means one of three things.

• A. This person is referring to Geno being announced as a Mii Costume or a Spirit, even though neither were a big deal, the Mii Costume was 5 years ago, and nobody would be "freaking out" for anything but a playable character or refer to something like the mii costume returning as a big announcement.
  • B. This is an honest mistake, and they meant to say something else like "There's a reason people still really want Geno in Smash!" or something to that effect.
  • C. This is a slip-up due to how dates have clearly been moved around and he's in.
Out of these, A. really doesn't feel plausible so it's a toss-up between B. and C. There's nothing else to go off of at this point but it's just another point on The List of ever growning things that may or may not mean playable Geno. Thankfully with a direct almost certainly in only 4 days, we might get some insiders backing on this, or at the very least closure on Monday.

Oh god we have 4 more days of talking about this leak don't we.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Well think of it this way guys... at least now we have a brand new topic of conversation to beat into the ground!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yeah I’m thinkin’ this was just a big slip-up on GameStop’s part regarding choice of words and research; it was pointed out to me how Nintendo dropped out of E3 earlier this year or at least when the physical event was cancelled, which was still in March or sometime, and how GameStop doesn’t get their press kit stuff that early anyway, so it’s very unlikely it had anything to do with E3 or whatever.

(though I suppose it could be for the Direct but I guess they still wouldn’t have gotten stuff early? I don’t really know...but of course Corona could’ve still screwed stuff up...)

edit: oh but she started the surgery stuff this month and of course they didn’t delay Pokémon and some other stuff but idk...I’ll just consider it as “nothing” personally I guess...

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Horton wouldn't be in charge up publishing the video though. GameStop has producers that would do that for them. Someone most likely got overzealous and published the video without doing their due diligence.
Any way you slice it, someone messed up somewhere down the line in the creation of this video. I just personally find it much easier to believe that this was an error in phrasing rather than anything else. Horton choosing her words a little carelessly is really just a "live and learn" sort of mistake, whereas someone uploading a video intended to be released after Geno was to be revealed would be an absolutely massive blunder.

QQS

Smash Lord
Well for sure Thursday and Friday will be a key to a potential Monday Direct with a Double reveal.

If you ask me, our Geno is already here. Hope for Crash as the other reveal. If the other isn’t Crash, it’s Waluigi.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Here's "AdamBel's 'professional' zoomer take"™ for anyone who cares.

As I've been saying for a while now (heck I even said it earlier yesterday), Geno has more than enough in his favor to prove his chances. I think Geno has a great shot at being revealed in Vol. 2 and I think a Direct is coming soon. However, this GameStop hullabaloo gives me slight pause only because I have to wonder the logistics of this actually leaking Geno. We know how secretive Nintendo is and has been during these times. Now Nintendo is certainly no stranger to leaking things (I still can't believe they leaked that SNK was involved with Fighter #4), but I have to wonder if this would happen. Like wouldn't the editors of the video have to check it and make sure everything is ship-shape? Like quality control with tye editing and whatnot? Her wording is definitely odd though, and I do imagine she'd be aware of some insider knowledge... but I don't know, as of now I doubt only because I feel as if someone would've caught the slip-up before the video was released. I suppose we'll see how GameStop reacts, but if they don't do anything about it, I severely doubt this means anything. I guess my main point of contention is that I question how the video could've been released past quality checking if it contained a genuine leak.

BUT, again, who cares if this is real or not? Who cares about this zoomer's opinion? Who cares about the legitimacy of this or not? Wanna know why? Because Geno's chances are still really high regardless! But nevertheless, I am glad that this GameStop stuff (real or otherwise) gave the thread a jolt of energy! Makes me happy to see you all freaking out. Geno is probably on the horizon, y'all just gotta hold out a little longer and I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

P.S.: Here's an image of Kirby in Terry's jeans (Terrby?). Enjoy!
IMG_20191230_201042.jpg

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Any way you slice it, someone messed up somewhere down the line in the creation of this video. I just personally find it much easier to believe that this was an error in phrasing rather than anything else. Horton choosing her words a little carelessly is really just a "live and learn" sort of mistake, whereas someone uploading a video intended to be released after Geno was to be revealed would be an absolutely massive blunder.
Not only would Horton have to choose her words poorly, she'd also have to assume people were excited for a Mii costume released 5 years ago on a previous game ~or~ for the spirit that was never actually announced, just found when the game was released.

If she really did flub up her words, then GameStop would have addressed it by now. "Whoops, we were actually talking about when Geno's Mii costume was revealed!" That's something they can say to stop people from asking questions.

I suppose we'll see how GameStop reacts, but if they don't do anything about it, I severely doubt this means anything. I guess my main point of contention is that I question how the video could've been released past quality checking if it contained a genuine leak.
Not doing anything is the smart play for GameStop. If they take down the video, then everyone who saw it talk about it, which doesn't seem worth it for a character that's about to be revealed. Only around 1000 people viewed the video anyway--not enough to cause a disturbance whatsoever.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They would if 7 and 8 were both supposed to be revealed at the same time.
Considering Min Min was supposed to be revealed around E3 time, I think FP6 and FP7 were supposed to be the dual reveal.

That is, if they even planned one.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure Min Min was going to be revealed originally during the Mini Direct, which would've been a full Direct if not for COVID.

QQS

Smash Lord
I was the thinking that the thing that makes more sense to me is this. Given that Paper Mario is already represented in Smash (he has a stage and songs) they could simply add him as an Individual DLC. Also the Plant wouldn’t has a section just for himself in the webpage. In that case, they could just add more Origami songs with the Individual DLC of Paper Mario. But the problem there is: which number would take Paper Mario? The DLC are already established from #70 to #81. So if Paper Mario is an Individual DLC, he could be #82 instantly (before revealing the others in FP2).

My point is this. Geno could be #77 with a Square Enix pack (Mallow, Smithy, Chocobo, Sephiroth and Crono costume) + Forest Maze or Vista Hill + a couple of songs.

Then Waluigi could be #78 with a “Mario Sport Pack” and he brings Paper Mario as an Individual DLC as #82. (Paper without a stage cause he already has and just only with Origami songs added).

That about the 3 Mario reps. Though I believe the reveals mostly will be Geno and Crash. Probably even Paper or Wah, but Geno and Crash are a MUST for me, for the Fan Demand and for the world.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Not only would Horton have to choose her words poorly, she'd also have to assume people were excited for a Mii costume released 5 years ago on a previous game ~or~ for the spirit that was never actually announced, just found when the game was released.

If she really did flub up her words, then GameStop would have addressed it by now. "Whoops, we were actually talking about when Geno's Mii costume was revealed!" That's something they can say to stop people from asking questions.
In the interest of narrowing it down a bit, I'll specify that I am operating under the assumption that she was referring to the announcement of the Smash 4 Mii Costume, not anything related to the spirit (despite them strangely using a picture of the Geno spirit battle). While most people weren't incredibly satisfied with Geno being a Mii costume in Smash 4, it really did generate tons of hype and excitement from people who thought that this was confirmation that their requests were at least being heard.

On the topic of GameStop needing to address this issue, I would like to point out that this video still has fewer than 1,500 total views on YouTube and has only really started being discussed in the last few hours. For a large company like GameStop, if this is just an error in phrasing, then it's hardly worth their attention at the moment. You could argue that they might find some value in trying to nip this discussion in the bud, but I have to imagine that our community digging into this video is an issue that's not even on GameStop's radar quite yet.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty sure Min Min was going to be revealed originally during the Mini Direct, which would've been a full Direct if not for COVID.
Even if that did happen, that happened early enough that they would have shifted some things around.

FP8 would have been delayed months in advance, making it even more unlikely a retailer would have info on it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
On the topic of GameStop needing to address this issue, I would like to point out that this video still has fewer than 1,500 total views on YouTube and has only really started being discussed in the last few hours. For a large company like GameStop, if this is just an error in phrasing, then it's hardly worth their attention at the moment. You could argue that they might find some value in trying to nip this discussion in the bud, but I have to imagine that our community digging into this video is an issue that's not even on GameStop's radar quite yet.
Yeah, but look at GameStop's youtube channel, their view count and comments are absolutely abysmal.

1594880136168.png

Aside from the fact that this highlights no one cares about GameStop, the Paper Mario video is comparatively skyrocketing because of this and the comments are flooded. Also the video is currently at 1,800 views last time I checked. Someone over at GameStop is gonna notice this and see what happened.

So I'm 60/40 on them actually addressing this (or taking it down if it's an actual leak), also Pam is actually kind of a big deal in the gaming scene; having worked with Nintendo on promoting Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta in Smash, and 200k followers on Instagram, so she's not just some rando

I dunno... the simplest and most likely answer is that its just a case of poor wording. But I just can't shake the nagging feeling like this might actually be something. If she was TRULY referencing the spirits, why not mention Mallow too? If she meant the Smash 4 costume, why didn't the vid just show that instead? If we're going with the assumption that this is a legit boo-boo due to dates being shuffled, they could have subbed in the spirit footage because they didn't have footage of Geno in-game on hand.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
In the interest of narrowing it down a bit, I'll specify that I am operating under the assumption that she was referring to the announcement of the Smash 4 Mii Costume, not anything related to the spirit (despite them strangely using a picture of the Geno spirit battle). While most people weren't incredibly satisfied with Geno being a Mii costume in Smash 4, it really did generate tons of hype and excitement from people who thought that this was confirmation that their requests were at least being heard.
Even if she was referring to the costume, she's still opening herself and GameStop up to a lot of questions and undue headaches caused by wording it the way she did.

It has a small handful of views, yes, but it's only going to get bigger now that information-starved people and YouTubers desperate for content and clicks know about it. Even the comments section of that video are calling out her statement, saying that Geno is confirmed. GameStop would be smart to nip this in the bud right away, saying that Horton misspoke when she said Geno was announced. If she truly was talking about the Mii costume, they'd be better off acknowledging that right away instead of looking like the guys who dropped the ball.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, the costume actually got a fair amount of hype back in Smash 4.

Geno's chances were seen as much lower then, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Gotta remember, the Mii costume and Sakurai's comments about it were what revitalized the Geno fanbase after its lull in Smash 4.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do y’all think we’re being insensitive about the GameStop girl being in the hospital...?

personally I don’t fully understand how as no one was hating on her, and I’m sure everyone here can sympathize with her being stuck in the hospital, but it was brought up to me so...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do y’all think we’re being insensitive about the GameStop girl being in the hospital...?
I've been lurking back-and-forth, I haven't seen anyone mention it at all, but I also have been going off-site periodically so I could have missed it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've been lurking back-and-forth, I haven't seen anyone mention it at all, but I also have been going off-site periodically so I could have missed it.
It's been brought up, but I'd argue it wasn't used insensitively.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I can't see the quote refering to the mii costume. It was 5 years ago, when Smash, while extremely popular, still wasn't AS extremely ridiculously popular as it is now, mostly due to it being stranded on a dead console or a handheld version nobody really cared that much for. Nobody was "freaking out" over it, it was overshadowed at the time by the two other characters revealed that day and Cloud getting shadowdropped. It's not the kind of random piece of general knowledge you put in a god damn Gamestop promo, christ WE can't even interpret what they actually mean, what joe schmoe gamer is going to hear this and go "Oh yea they put him in as a mii costume last game" and not "Wait when did Geno get announced as playable? I don't remember him being in."

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

personally I don’t fully understand how as no one was hating on her, and I’m sure everyone here can sympathize with her being stuck in the hospital, but it was brought up to me so...
I've not seen anyone bring it up disparagingly

And if they have, shame on them.

Honestly, I already feel like I may have riled everyone up for what could be a dead end, and when i did learn she was in the hospital I felt even worse about it. I don't want people bugging her about this but now I feel like it's too late and it's my fault

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Honestly, I already feel like I may have riled everyone up for what could be a dead end, and when i did learn she was in the hospital I felt even worse about it. I don't want people bugging her about this but now I feel like it's too late and it's my fault
To be fair we only live once so we might as well just enjoy the wild ride tho.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Even if she was referring to the costume, she's still opening herself and GameStop up to a lot of questions and undue headaches caused by wording it the way she did.

It has a small handful of views, yes, but it's only going to get bigger now that information-starved people and YouTubers desperate for content and clicks know about it. Even the comments section of that video are calling out her statement, saying that Geno is confirmed. GameStop would be smart to nip this in the bud right away, saying that Horton misspoke when she said Geno was announced. If she truly was talking about the Mii costume, they'd be better off acknowledging that right away instead of looking like the guys who dropped the ball.
I agree that this is a situation worthy of addressing, but it's still only been a few hours, hasn't spread super far yet, and the discussion didn't start booming until well into the night already (in the US, at least). If they do plan to issue some sort of statement about this, it probably will be in the next few days.

Yeah, but look at GameStop's youtube channel, their view count and comments are absolutely abysmal.

View attachment 278635

Aside from the fact that this highlights no one cares about GameStop, the Paper Mario video is comparatively skyrocketing because of this and the comments are flooded. Also the video is currently at 1,800 views last time I checked. Someone over at GameStop is gonna notice this and see what happened.

So I'm 60/40 on them actually addressing this (or taking it down if it's an actual leak), also Pam is actually kind of a big deal in the gaming scene; having worked with Nintendo on promoting Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta in Smash, and 200k followers on Instagram, so she's not just some rando

I dunno... the simplest and most likely answer is that its just a case of poor wording. But I just can't shake the nagging feeling like this might actually be something. If she was TRULY referencing the spirits, why not mention Mallow too? If she meant the Smash 4 costume, why didn't the vid just show that instead? If we're going with the assumption that this is a legit boo-boo due to dates being shuffled, they could have subbed in the spirit footage because they didn't have footage of Geno in-game on hand.
Unfortunate timing for my post, haha. The view count must have updated on YouTube between my post and yours, because the views were sitting at around 1,400 when I made my post. As for why they showed an image of the spirit battle when I believe she was referring to the Smash 4 Mii costume, I think that was just her editor trying to come up with some sort of related visual to go along with her rather confusing statement. Keep in mind that the wording she used was simply "Geno was announced for Smash." Her editor probably just didn't know exactly what to make of that and went with whatever he/she felt was close enough.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
So wait, what happened? All I read is that the ryza leak is fake and that Gamestop leaked something but I donpt see people here mentioning specifics

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's been brought up, but I'd argue it wasn't used insensitively.
Yeah I didn’t think anyone was being insensitive but as I said it was brought up to me so...

I guess I do feel kinda bad for saying stuff like “bad choice of words” “poor research” etc. but hey we’re all human and we all make mistakes, I didn’t think she was dumb or anything...

I guess I’m just scared of others constantly misunderstanding people in here and so the hatefulness and/or what seems to be misinformed, negative assumptions surrounding this thread whenever it’s mentioned outside here never stops...but I guess I can’t do anything about that, whatever I say in hopes things can be more fair between people may just make things worse, so I guess I should stop worrying and accept it...

It’s not your fault dude; you didn’t know people would get riled up and stuff, if anyone really is that riled up about it. It’s their fault if they get mad and stuff.

And yeah I hope no one bugs her. I’m sure no one in here would do that though; hopefully no one else would either.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So wait, what happened? All I read is that the ryza leak is fake and that Gamestop leaked something but I donpt see people here mentioning specifics
GameStop put out a video about Paper Mario: The Origami King, and it contains the quote "There's a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash!". No one knows for sure what this means, but one possibility is that this could be GameStop making a big oopsie and possibly leaking Geno as the next fighter... or it could just be a poor choice of words and it means nothing.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Don't blame yourself for other people being dum dums.

You just shared a potential lead. Nothing wrong with that.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
GameStop put out a video about Paper Mario: The Origami King, and it contains the quote "There's a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash!". No one knows for sure what this means, but one possibility is that this could be GameStop making a big oopsie and possibly leaking Geno as the next fighter... or it could just be a poor choice of words and it means nothing.
Yeah, seems like poor wording. It´s gonna be hilarious if it´s real though.

D

Deleted member

The more I think about it, if Geno really is coming to Smash and GameStop knew, why would they upload the video back in the 13th? I think the video may of course be intended after the upcoming direct as it would makes sense. Were they anticipating a direct? Idk Horton may intend to really say something else, not announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
The more I think about it, if Geno really is coming to Smash and GameStop knew, why would they upload the video back in the 13th? I think the video may of course be intended after the upcoming direct as it would makes sense. Were they anticipating a direct? Idk Horton may intend to really say something else, not announced.
Hello all.

As others have said, Pamela has been in the hospital since the beginning of July, meaning that the video was most likely not filmed this month and sometime in June.

That's all I wanted to say.

1594883112448.png

Griselda

Smash Lord
Oh god, the thread became the Hydra. Every time I read through a page, three more appeared. I'm only just now caught up.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Thought I would take a late night browse through this thread tonight, and wow, am I glad I did!

I hope this turns out to be good news, Genobros! Been wanting my puppet dude to get in since the Brawl days, and maybe this is actually real!

Also, and not to rain on the parade or anything, but I do see some of you saying that she wouldn't be speaking of the Mii Costume or Spirit because "people weren't excited." While true, when promoting something like this, you aren't going to say, "SMRPG sure is great, but Nintendo sure did suck it up with Geno in Smash," you know? It's gonna be positive, no matter what. Again, I am not saying that to be a party pooper, but more to say that they are promoting Nintendo products to sell in their store. They are gonna be positive/make people feel like it is a huge deal to be a part of.

Anyways, I am ready for this Direct to actually happen! I need to see Geno come alive once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom