• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasToast

Smash Rookie
If the “GameStop” leak is real (which it probably isn’t)
GameStop about to be in a world of trouble.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
It'll turn up that it was, in fact, a poor choice of words but we'll still have Geno revealed on Monday.

I guess my mistrust of Gamestop is getting the best of me.
Nothing to really say about that, but I *really really love* your avatar. That was my favorite pairing in TOS and I don't care how much they tried pushing Colette on me.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
That's the whole idea of it being a poor choice of words? :bobomb:
I know that. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying, why say Geno is "confirmed" for Smash if he is just a Mii Outfit\Spirit? I just don't see how it could be a poor choice of words since it seems to imply moreso towards the fact that she is implying he is playable.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Watch this GameStop thing not be real.

I wanna believe but just watch this not be it. Just watch.
The other possibility is that Geno gets in but this video is a just slip up and the person really didn’t know about Geno early on. A happy accident you could say.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nothing to really say about that, but I *really really love* your avatar. That was my favorite pairing in TOS and I don't care how much they tried pushing Colette on me.

You got good taste sir.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I guess my mistrust of Gamestop is getting the best of me.

Though I am getting flashbacks to the Raiden VA leak in Smash 4.

Anyone remember that one?

That one really burned me.
I do.
Smash 4's speculation period sucked for Snake mains.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I know that. That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying, why say Geno is "confirmed" for Smash if he is just a Mii Outfit\Spirit? I just don't see how it could be a poor choice of words since it seems to imply moreso towards the fact that she is implying he is playable.
"Announced", actually. May be synonymous for you, but it could be a useful clue in unraveling all this if we really wanna get deep. The whole ordeal is pretty iffy, it'd be better to just wait it out. No harm in expressing our own opinions, though.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Not to be mocking or anything. But I'd say that Geno getting into Smash even as a mii costume/spirit is a huge feat for a character of his caliber. So it's not unrealistic if she's just talking about the mii costume from Smash 4. And like I've said, unless she knew about Geno in June; I doubt she's been working on that video anytime in the last 2 weeks. And the chances of her getting Nintendo "E3" info all the way back in June is really low, because they revealed their plans to cancel E3 all the way back in May.
Yeah I guess so. It'd still be strange to talk about the Mii Outfit even though that is some old news from the previous Smash game, unless she is confirming a deluxe Geno outfit, which would be worse case scenario imo.

I'm gonna remain optimistic, but I'm also gonna have a bit of pessimism on me until we see Nintendo really take action towards this video.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If this is an actual leak, we will probably know by whoever the next character is.

I doubt any retailer would currently have information on FP8 or later.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Not to be mocking or anything. But I'd say that Geno getting into Smash even as a mii costume/spirit is a huge feat for a character of his caliber. So it's not unrealistic if she's just talking about the mii costume from Smash 4. And like I've said, unless she knew about Geno in June; I doubt she's been working on that video anytime in the last 2 weeks. And the chances of her getting Nintendo "E3" info all the way back in June is really low, because they revealed their plans to cancel E3 all the way back in May.
No, it really isn't. First off, the mii costume was almost 5 whole years ago. Secondly, it wasn't even a big deal at all when it happened, more of a "neat" thing than anything, it only really became apparently it might mean more than it seemed when the interview came out months later, and even then, what part of any of that has really left this niche corner of the fandom at all? Thirdly, why not just say "There's a reason people want Geno in Smash" or something to that accord? Nobody looks at god damn Starfy getting an Assist Trophy and goes "Oh yea, Starfy GOT IN Smash". It carries a super specific meaning. There is no other way to interpret that sentence. The way I see it, either it's a complete script error, as in they meant to say something else entirely, or it's a massive slip up.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't buy it for a second. Way too much for one direct in my eyes even after all of the delays. Also, Ryza as the next fighter just seems like it will be very anti-hype for a good number of people (especially me).
Oh just wait buddy. It's gonna be ryza. That text lined up perfectly with her games sequel coming out. I think we're putting too much eggs in gamestop's basket, I HIGHLY doubt that they just would leak geno like that. The Ryza leak seems more believable, and considering Sakurai has a fetish for anime characters I can almost guarantee it's gonna be Ryza. I'm sorry Genobros, this one just ain't it for FP77. Ya'll are jumping the gun way too hard, take a step back and think of everything we've got so far. All evidence points to Ryza as of right now.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think it's possible this was indeed a screw-up, but I'm personally just gonna believe she had a very poor choice of words combined with an editor who didn't do his research putting up the spirit with barely any fanfare rather than the mii costume which she was likely referring to (and which may or may not have had a lot of fanfare idk).

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
To be honest, I really want this to be an actual slip-up revealing a playable Geno... but considering all the horror stories I've heard about GameStop from ex-employees, I'm willing to entertain the possibility that they were just incompetent enough to forget to specify the Mii costume (both in the script and in the footage being shown).

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you visit the instagram page of Pamela Horton (https://www.instagram.com/pamelahorton13/?hl=es-la )

You can see her is occupied with her health. (sad face :c)
And if you see the photos, in 24 june she look very similiar like the video, maybe, the video was recorded a long time ago and the direct was moving and AAAAAAAAAAAA-

PD: My english, sorry.
24 June makes a lot of sense if we assume that the Direct was originally meant to be shown on the 7th thanks to the date leaks.

To be honest, I really want this to be an actual slip-up revealing a playable Geno... but considering all the horror stories I've heard about GameStop from ex-employees, I'm willing to entertain the possibility that they were just incompetent enough to forget to specify the Mii costume (both in the script and in the footage being shown).
I don't believe Horton is incompetent enough to say Geno as opposed to Geno spirit or Geno costume when she knows that too many people would hound her with questions.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah I guess so. It'd still be strange to talk about the Mii Outfit even though that is some old news from the previous Smash game, unless she is confirming a deluxe Geno outfit, which would be worse case scenario imo.

I'm gonna remain optimistic, but I'm also gonna have a bit of pessimism on me until we see Nintendo really take action towards this video.
I'll just say that the person has been recovering from surgeries for the last two weeks, her twitter proves that. I doubt this video/footage/audio of her was made during that time, which is why I've started to think that this is not really a leak but most likely just a misinformed choice of words. Even the most reliable insiders didn't know anything about a direct since a week or so ago, so I doubt Nintendo gave information on the next Smash DLC character back in June to Gamestop. I just don't really want to jump to a conclusion because it sucks when a person who is recovering from something gets tons of toxic stuff thrown on them, because certain people get really toxic over presumed things.

24 June makes a lot of sense if we assume that the Direct was originally meant to be shown on the 7th thanks to the date leaks.
But that assumes that HotGirls was right, which she really wasn't. If a direct was planned for the seventh, it would have 0 reason to be delayed at that point in time. HotGirls track record is pretty bad, and even Kelios who knew of this direct and the February one before anyone else, didn't state anything about the 7th direct at all. Really all she got right was 1-2 of her dates, and everything else has been false; 1-2 things isn't enough to be considered reliable. Especially when 1 of those things was something that she stated wasn't what she heard in the first place.

Literally no one outside of HotGirls teased anything about her dates. She just got lucky with some of them, kinda like how that leak with Atelier Ryza 2 and Ryza in Smash got 1 thing right, but that doesn't mean that the leak is 100% right.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Man ... the wording of the video is making me go crazy. Of course I am biased if it’s Geno for the fighter. Of course. But the more I try to think “she meant <x>” ... it doesn’t make sense.

Geno Mii costume was released in Smash 4. So people would not be all excited if it was released again. Maybe it would have if it wasn’t done in Smash 4, but not as a re-release. There’s no excitement, it would be more of a let down since we all assume either all the “missing” Mii costumes either come back or get promoted.

The argument about it being the spirit makes no sense since ... it was never announced or shown. It was discovered in game When people play it.

So ... in my mind it’s either for the fighter or just a miscommunication if they thought Geno was already in per PapaGeno suggested. But that too makes no sense ... if you wanted to check, she would just go to the official smash website and see the roster. If I was going to make a video commenting on a particular game, I’d at least check out the official website at a minimum ....

man I want this direct to either celebrate or get crushed. Lol.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
She wouldn't have been told when the Direct was happening, but I fully believe she would've known the next fighter since before E3 was canceled. Insiders also wouldn't mince words like that, because it would lead to way too many questions.

Moreover, if it *was*, in fact, a misspeak, GameStop would've addressed it either with a comment correcting the confusion or a note in the description of the video. So far, they've been silent.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Imagine being a Rex fan and once again having a spot taken by a character from a game that came out only at the end of last year. LMAO

Powerman293

Smash Ace
A character from the Atelier series, a JRPG series published by Tecmo Koei. There's a 4chan leak claiming Ryza is the next character.
I literally couldn't think of a worse Tecmo Koei pick.

Imagine being a Rex fan and once again having a spot taken by a character from a game that came out only at the end of last year. LMAO
Ouch. I mean, there's so many other JRPG protags that would be a better fit.

Yeah, I'm not buying this. Well, I normally say that anyways. I can't see Tecmo wasting their spot on a JRPG character hardly Japan or the West knows over Hyabusa.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
On the Ryza thing, I think it's fake. One of the tweets PapaGenos showed (from Stealth) mentioned that the game was really successful, so a sequel wasn't that surprising, so guessing that isn't too crazy. Also the Zelda subtitle. Just doesn't sound right to me

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Something I just want to remind everyone in terms of Mii Costumes: we're already estabilished that we're getting 7 in September. If so, the character presentation and Mii Costume reveal would happen around that time. Why would they leak a Mii Costume that's 2 months away before a character that's supposed to be revealed in the next 4 days? If it's indeed a leak about a Mii Costume, why just one and not more? Makes no sense to me this argument of leaking a Mii Costume...

I'll do one better: Imagine being a Xenoblade fan and, for the 3rd time in a row (Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate base, Pass 1) be shafted by bad timing and questionable choices. However, Elysium is upon us (hopefully).

Last edited:

TexasToast

Smash Rookie
On the Ryza thing, I think it's fake. One of the tweets PapaGenos showed (from Stealth) mentioned that the game was really successful, so a sequel wasn't that surprising, so guessing that isn't too crazy. Also the Zelda subtitle. Just doesn't sound right to me
I could be mistaken but over on twitter Nate Drake debunked the Ryza 4chan leak.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Oh just wait buddy. It's gonna be ryza. That text lined up perfectly with her games sequel coming out. I think we're putting too much eggs in gamestop's basket, I HIGHLY doubt that they just would leak geno like that. The Ryza leak seems more believable, and considering Sakurai has a fetish for anime characters I can almost guarantee it's gonna be Ryza. I'm sorry Genobros, this one just ain't it for FP77. Ya'll are jumping the gun way too hard, take a step back and think of everything we've got so far. All evidence points to Ryza as of right now.
I think you forgot to add something at the end of your post, what was it again?

Oh yeah, it's this (:4pacman:).

Droodle

Smash Lord
Moreover, if it *was*, in fact, a misspeak, GameStop would've addressed it either with a comment correcting the confusion or a note in the description of the video. So far, they've been silent.
You could just as easily argue that if it was correct, Gamestop would have taken down the video. Sure it's an admission of their guilt, but it's still a far better outcome then upsetting Nintendo even more. If it is a leak, by leaving the video up they're treading on far more dangerous ground upsetting fans expectations. You do not want to upset Nintendo.

Besides, right now they're in the position where if they say that the Geno comment meant nothing, people would still pull in conspiracy theories about how Nintendo is holding them by the ear. That's what people did to the Legacy XP guy when he said that Nintendo did not contact him.

Also E3 was cancelled all the way back at the start of May (and that's when it was official), and I have high doubts that highly protected information about the next DLC character came out back in May. Sure, people may bring up Banjo or Hero from last year, but with the way Nintendo has been squashing leakers/leaks; I doubt that they'd let info out literal months before the reveal of their next character.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Here’s my take, for whoever cares.

I think that based off of the wording that she genuinely was referring to Geno being revealed as a character in Smash; that kind of wording certainly doesn’t imply a Spirit or a Mii Costume. The footage associated with her talking about that also doesn’t say anything one way or another because I highly doubt she edited the video. However, I don’t personally think that makes this a leak; I think this was a mistake. For one reason or another, I think this woman was genuinely mistaken in assuming that Geno had already been revealed as a character despite the fact that he hasn’t, and it isn’t because she had information pertaining to a Direct. We’ve seen in the past how secretive Sakurai has been in terms of character reveals; if this leak had the potential of coming from Square’s side of the equation, I could buy it, but I highly doubt that Nintendo gave Gamestop materials talking about the next Smash character when Sakurai said a majority of people within Nintendo didn’t even know about the “Everyone is Here” trailer or Byleth.

Does this particularly matter? Nah, not really. I think Geno’s chances are pretty solid no matter what, even if I wouldn’t call him “a lock” per se. I’ve just given this particular topic some thought and wanted to share my two cents.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
I don't believe Horton is incompetent enough to say Geno as opposed to Geno spirit or Geno costume when she knows that too many people would hound her with questions.
I think it would be a much greater sign of incompetence to upload a video unintentionally leaking that Geno is to be announced as a playable character in Smash. My money is definitely on her just not being super specific, and her editor not knowing exactly what to add as visual aid for her statement.

D

Deleted member

Dang. I’ve seen argument for both sides back and fourth like the Grinch Leak. I’ll be slightly leaning towards the it means nothing side for now. Remember, Geno can still be 7 whether it was a slip or not. Let’s just wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Hoo boy, this topic is going to explode tomorrow, innit?
Imagine being a Nintendo employee, you wake up, ready to get to work, you figure you'll post a single Xenoblade tweet or some mobile game tweet or whatever, and then you see the hundreds of mentions to this GameStop video. Yiiiikes. You were too slow at your own game, Nintendo! :4pacman:(provided this thing is even real to begin with.)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It just crossed my mind that, if the July 20th Direct ends up being true, and say Nintendo announces it on Friday since the next day the weekend kicks off, Paper Mario: The Origami King sort of fits the "appetizer" role.

Nintendo: "They can wait a few more days. Paper Mario will keep'em busy till then."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom