• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
HERO v2 ARGUMENT IS DEAD
"SPIRITS DECONFIRM" IS DEAD
MIN MIN IS IN IN
LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOO

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ninjara was also considered, so being a spirit definitely isn't a barrier.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
B-BUT THEY WON'T ADD GENO, HE'S A SPIRIT, THEY WOULDN'T CONSIDER A SPIRIT!

HOW DARE YOU?! M-MIN MIN WAS JUST A S-S-SPECIAL EXCEPTION!!!!!!! (COPY-PASTE RAGE EMOJI)

Geno is on the table, guys. He's back on the table along with Rayman and other (non-assist) spirits. It begins.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So I've been looking over the ARMS roster and just the game in general and trying to piece together who the most likely candidates are when I started actually thinking about how the character is going to play. Sakurai made it clear in his twitter posts that they've had trouble sticking to the rules of Smash and balancing the character while also keeping the spirit of ARMS intact, and to prepare for a fighter with "entirely original mechanics". He's making it clear this is a very unique character right from the get go, and I can't recall him ever doing that before. Sure, Smash characters have gotten progressively gimmickier over the years, but I have to wonder, what exactly does that mean for ARMS?

Well, let's think about it. The actual gameplay of ARMS is pretty simple. You have two ARMS you can attack with and angle with a variety of different types, you can jump and dash around, you can grab with both arms, and you can block, which charges up your arms to do more damage and other effects, and you build up a charge meter over time that lets you activate a rush and do a flurry of attacks. Really, that's about it. How do you make a traditional Smash moveset out of this? You could just have the standard attacks be basic punches and swipes, but how do you incorporate things like different ARM types? It's one of the core mechanics of the game, Sakurai isn't just going to gloss over that. And what do you do with all the special moves, how do they recover? Having the ARMS just change type to suit whatever move he wants them to be doesn't fit ARMS well and would probably look janky. And how do you incorporate the fact that both ARMS are meant to be independent? Or things like charging the arms while shielding, or that they do a ranged grab with both ARMS? What about stuff like ARMS being disabled? And it is a fighting game character like Ryu/Terry, so is he also going to make them face the opponent at all times? Not to mention the giant range?

This could be extremely wrong, but I feel like Sakurai is going to go completely off the rails here and make an entirely unique fighting style based around ARMS. What do I mean? The Fighter always faces the opponent, and has no standard attacks, and no specials. They'll have a standard ledge and get up attack, as well as normal throws and pummels, but everything else is different. Instead, the A button is mapped to the left arm, and the B button the right. Controls exactly like ARMS, push the button, and the arm will fire out and you can angle it with the left stick, and it takes a bit for it to retract. You can fire each of them independently, and they aren't considered part of the fighter, as in, they can be shielded, but only the ARM itself is a hitbox, the spring part is not, and attacking the ARM doesn't do damage to the fighter, but the ARM itself, and once it takes enough the ARM will break, similar to how K.Rools armor health works, and that ARM will be disabled for a time. Grabs are done using both ARMS, having a long range but a massive opening if they miss, and the grab can be done in the air just like the game, and can also grab ledge, which is how they recover. With no Smash attacks, the ARMS are instead charged as the fighter shields, which lasts longer the longer they hold the shield and disappears after they throw a punch, after a short time, or when they take a hit. The character has a shield special like Inkling where pressing B while shielding allows them to swap ARMS for different types. No traditional dashing either, double tapping forward or back instead does a short burst of speed in that direction, and it can also be done in the air. The fighter also builds a meter over time similar to Mac and Joker, and when full allows them to do a Rush attack similar to ARMS.

It sounds completely insane, but I also really can't see Sakurai implementing an ARMS character faithfully without going all the way like this if he's truly trying to represent it like he claims, and the whole "entirely original mechanics" thing makes me think he really is. This feels like the kind of absolutely crazy idea he would try with a new character.
YOU PEOPLE THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY, YOU THOUGHT THEY WOULDN'T BIND EACH ARM TO THE A AND B BUTTON

WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Pros to Min Min: Spirits don't deconfirm, more cute girls in Smash, Hero v2 is dead

Cons to Min Min: Neutral is gone. We have evolved past the need for a neutral.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
spirit rule destroyed and min min a cute

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
''Spirits are dead! They don't have their body anymore! It doesn't make any story sense! Stop asking for characters that are spirits." !!~!!!

axel_

Smash Journeyman
''Spirits are dead! They don't have their body anymore! It doesn't make any story sense! Stop asking for characters that are spirits." !!~!!!
That argument didn't even work, because the Spirits were freed in the true ending of WoL.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
SPIRTS FAN RULE IS DEAD!

HECK! MIN MIN'S FINAL SMASH CONTAINS FIGHTERS WHO ARE SPIRITS. WHAT MORE EVIDENCE IS NEEDED?!?!?!

the Mii costume section will be coming....

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny how Sakurai hasn't even mentioned Min Min being a spirit. It really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reminder that I called Min Min getting in, lol.

Glad that the spirits deconfirm rule seems to finally be dead.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Vault Boy costume looks amazing, holy hell.

Now, notice how we got a Fallout costume, but the Cacodemon hat didn't show up. It's almost as if Doom isn't Bethesda's *****, and Doomguy is still possible regardless of whatever bull**** Marty Stratton said.

AJ6TEaV.gif

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So not only do Spirits deconfirm but Geno once again survived the Mii costume massacre.

Seems like you guys lucked out, Geno is in the running again.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice did say Bethesda was going to get something I think. Looks like it was that Vault Boy costume. Gotta give credit when it is due.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Uhh, I don’t think they necessarily have to be on that list. Lol
No, they did not have to. But we were talking about how "cacamallow" would help us if shown. Just because a spirit does not de-confirm does not mean we automatically "won" as of now. Were they on that list, it would help us too concidering Mallow/Smithy costume is on there.

Edit - Hell, Vault Boy arguably gave a middle finger to cacamallow if anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom