• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I was excited when my boi Goemon got a Mii costume back in Banjo & Kazooie's pack because never in a million years did I expect him to appear in Smash in any form and he got a Mii costume. It literally made me cry tears of joy because he is my absolute most wanted character ever and now that he has a Mii costume he really isn't a pipedream anymore because he has a legitimate chance for the future to get in even if it's not in Ultimate. A Marina Mii costume would almost make me as happy as the Goemon Mii costume.
I really should give that game a try sometime. I've seen it but never gave it much attention or thought outside the occasional retro reviewer playing/talking about it. But yeah, Marina/MM is a character/game that I really do love but it's more in the back of my mind. It's not always thought about like SMRPG or Undertale, but it's definitely in my top 50 and I always love seeing it brought up every now and again.

Just having Mischief Makers and Marina be relevant again would be a dream for me. Real shame it never got re-released on both Virtual Consoles. Here's hoping like Stunt Race and other new old titles that didn't come to VC get a shot at a N64 Switch Online.
Heck I'd buy a Marina Mii Costume in a flash at the least if not a fighter. Similar to Goemon showing up I'd actually be really hype for that too. Would be neat if she got paired with a Geno fighter Mii Costume round.
Marina Amiibo LET'S GOOOOOOOO... or just a Mii costume, that's cool too. Hopefully with a music track? ;)
I've come to realize that unless I REALLY love a basic Mii costume, I'm just gonna end up buying every premium costume I remotely like... granted I do love both Undertale and Cuphead, but when something comes with a bumpin' song, I'm way more likely to buy it. I don't play Miis like ever, but more music is great to add in.

Btw guys don't forget that when Geno is made playable, that means an OFFICIAL Amiibo is coming out for him, too. Hopefully I can get one before they get scalped to like $200.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really should give that game a try sometime. I've seen it but never gave it much attention or thought outside the occasional retro reviewer playing/talking about it. But yeah, Marina/MM is a character/game that I really do love but it's more in the back of my mind. It's not always thought about like SMRPG or Undertale, but it's definitely in my top 50 and I always love seeing it brought up every now and again.
If you're talking about Goemon you mean games right? Because Goemon or Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja has over 30 games in the series though only 4 was released in the west.

Games being release over here were: Ganbare Goemon 1/Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES), Ganbare Goemon 5/Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon (N64), Ganbare Goemon: Kurofune Tō no Nazo/Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon (GB), Ganbare Goemon 6/Goemon's Great Adventure (N64). All amazing underrated games excluding the Game Boy game don't play that trash. The N64 games are literally the most underrated games on the console and they're up there with Nintendo and Rare's games. Yeah, they're that good.

Edit: I'm getting off lunch so I'm going back to work. See you guys later.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't think Heihachi's very likely but it has little to do with the Pac Man taunt. I believe his character has been mostly retired since his VA passed and that doesn't bode very well for him. It kinda puts a Tekken rep at all between a rock and a hard place, they could include Heihachi but he's been retired from the series. Instead they may include the new main character, Jin I believe, could be included but he's less iconic compared to Heihachi. Not saying neither are impossible, but it's kinda unclear how they'd work it out.
Heichachi already appeard 3 months ago in a new game called King of Fighters All Stars with reused voice lines from Tekken 7.
https://youtu.be/P_UQQvGgr2w
Also it wouldn't be the first time Heihachi gets recast after the death of a voice actor. Daisuke Gōri died too before Unshō Ishizuka took over his role.
Would a recast happen for Smash? Probably not, they'd rather go the same route as KoF All Stars and just recycle voice clips. A recast would happen when Tekken 8 comes out. Even if he stays canonically dead he'll still appear in the game's multiplayer modes. The last time they tried to get a main character (Kazuya) dead and replaced him with another one (Jin) the fans had gone rabid and as such Kazuya was reintroduced in the next game and they had to make a completely new moveset for Jin so that both don't make the other redundant.
Heihachi will probably appear as a ghost so that he can still be played by people who main him in multiplayer mode. His deceased wife Kazumi also appeared as a ghost in Tekken 7 so there wouldn't be problem with the canon.
And they will definitely not retire the face of their series. For example Nintendo would never retire Mario if such a tragic thing should happen to his VA. And I kind of think it's macabre how the death of a VA is instrumentalized to talk down a character you do not personally want. I mean we are still talking about a real person who and throwing around his death casually like this does not sit right with me.

All three of those series have long histories with Nintendo. Final Fantasy, SMT, and even Metal Gear have games going back to the NES including their debut games. Tekken has 3, one on the GBA, one on the 3DS, and one on the Wii U, all spin-offs. Even if you split hairs with Pokken, that's technically 5 and all spin-offs of the overall 24 games. In comparison, Metal Gear has 6 games on Nintendo platforms, SMT has 29, and Final Fantasy has a whopping 50.
Tekken Tag Tournament isn't really seen as spin-off for Tekken. It isn't canon, but it is still seen as the titlle that replaced the formerly most recent game Tekken 6. Besides the partner mechanic it still features te same gameplay as the numbered entries. And let's also not forget that Nintendo specifically used it to promote the Wii-U's release and included Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Metroid and Star Fox costumes for every character and a bonus mode with Mario power-ups. You could dress Heihachi up as Mario and Kazuya as Link and so on.
I also want to mention that recent Tales games don't even appear on Nintendo consoles anymore. Tales of Arise is set to release for everything but Switch.

And for those who missed it, this is also important:
No you are spreading lies!
It's ripped straight out of the Galaga Tekken edition!
https://youtu.be/XYgEPsdbttI
And if you insist that's a consolation prize: If anything a spirit which can be viewed in the spirit gallery similar to trophies before is far more of a consolation prize than an 8bit sprite ripped straight out of the Galaga Tekken Edition and only has like a 1/16 (I don't remember the exact number of sprites in that taunt) chance to appear in a taunt. Choose your side

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Probably not gonna say anything new, I just had a thought. Smash as it stands now (Ver 7.0) is the complete game, ending with Byleth, surprise surprise. Stacking the fighters, as well as the stage select is fully filled up and a perfect rectangle, so in my mind this was the end goal for them. The Fighters Pass might as well be considered base game+ with a paywall in front of it. The base game had mostly fan choices, the pass had mostly corporate choices, and we got lucky with Banjo since Sakurai wanted him back in Melee, MS said they're open to the idea way back, as well as our overwhelming support pushed it enough to make it a reality. To me, the true DLC starts with Fighter 6, basically the first really extra fighter as Sakurai put it. It's outside the planning phase, no rules attached to it, so we'll see what route they'll take in terms of choices. Here's to hoping Fatman's theory is correct cuz that lineup would be spectacular. It would also make sense to make it mostly fan requests since Nintendo had their slice of the DLC pie.

So how would I feel about it? Pretty much satisfied. Not perfect, I think 6 of the FE fighters could have gone to Assists and Spirits, and my biggest gripe is Shantae not making it in, cuz it would have been great to have a fully fledged Indie fighter that also has close ties to Nintendo. You can't win em all I guess.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what you guys think of this:
Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-12.24.26-PM.png

This might not mean anything, but I checked how this screen looks with Byleth and after adding 6 fighters, it looks lopsided. But if we add 7 then it retains the current shape albeit a row longer. This could potentially point to three scenarios:

1 - Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's theory of a bonus tribute character
2 - An echo fighter could come along with one of the 6 (Coco with Crash or Whatsherface with Lloyd)
3 - Absolutely ****ing nothing

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 263335
This might not mean anything, but I checked how this screen looks with Byleth and after adding 6 fighters, it looks lopsided. But if we add 7 then it retains the current shape albeit a row longer. This could potentially point to three scenarios:

2 - An echo fighter could come along with one of the 6 (Coco with Crash or Whatsherface with Lloyd)
How does it add up on the regular VS CSS?

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 263335

Personally, I don't buy character select screen theories because they don't need to be neat looking. There are Smash games that have a uneven rosters. It would also be kinda weird for the dev teams to add characters just so they can make the select screen look nice. Not to mention, the character select screen changes depending on the mode you're playing, so you can't make everything look even

However though, I do think there's a decent chance of a bonus fighter regardless

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
View attachment 263335

Without the Miis and only going up to 11 makes a perfect rectangle with the random select. So I’m gonna go with number 3 lol

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
View attachment 263335

So without more characters outside of Fighters Pass 2, Mii Brawler will be separated from the other 2 Mii Fighters... I dont like this :(

Last edited:

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 263335

I FOUND SOMETHING! If the fighters are stacked in Ver. 7, there is exactly room for 6 more fighters, of which one could come with an echo fighter which means it fits with the Squad Strike CSS screen! It's also interesting how the DLC completely takes up the last row. This HAS to be intentional.
ROSTER.png

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 263335

It's crazy to think the character select screen now looks like one of those old fake fan made character select screens with a **** ton of characters that mostly looked like pipedreams lol!

Who would have imagine we have gotten this far in Smash in terms of numbers.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I was watching one of the recent PapaGenos videos, and something came up that has me wondering what it might indicate as far as the chances of Geno appearing. In the leadup to Banjo's appearance, we started seeing a lot more merchandise than was typically normal begin showing up in unexpected places. A good handful were speculating if this was an indication that Banjo was potentially in the running for something big, whether it was an upcoming remake of some kind, or a major appearance in Smash Brothers. And, lo & behold, he ended up being a fighter! So, that was a trail worth paying attention to.

Papa also brought up that apparently Shantae was starting to get some new merchandise popping up here and there, which almost seems like a repeat performance, although I know Shantae's also got a new game coming up in the future, so that's all that could really be for. But, that's still interesting.

That said, this is where my thought process is going.

Is it worth being concerned over the fact that, going into a new Fighter's Pass for 2020, we certainly have not seen anything in relation to Geno as far as merchandising goes? Like; Is that a gauge worth looking at, in regards to which characters seem to be likely to appear? Because, now, putting this thought process into perspective, there's a few different directions this could go;

1 - Geno has been considered for a spot, but to put out merchandise would make that too obvious, therefore, unlikely.
2 - Geno has not been considered for a spot, and thus, we can't expect any merchandise to herald such a thing as a Smash appearance
3 - Merch is possible, but could potentially only relate to a reappearance of the initial game from which he originated, and thus, means nothing for Smash (this one is tricky, because if SMRPG was to be promoted, it would probably make more sense to do stuff for the game as a whole versus just Geno individually, so, hm.)

I guess I would like to know what you think about this, too, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice - Do you think the lack of merch has any bearing on whether or not Geno has a favorable chance in the upcoming Fighter's Pass? As in, does Merchandise necessarily lay out the path for a character to be """relevant""" in time for their appointed reveal and release?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was watching one of the recent PapaGenos videos, and something came up that has me wondering what it might indicate as far as the chances of Geno appearing. In the leadup to Banjo's appearance, we started seeing a lot more merchandise than was typically normal begin showing up in unexpected places. A good handful were speculating if this was an indication that Banjo was potentially in the running for something big, whether it was an upcoming remake of some kind, or a major appearance in Smash Brothers. And, lo & behold, he ended up being a fighter! So, that was a trail worth paying attention to.

Papa also brought up that apparently Shantae was starting to get some new merchandise popping up here and there, which almost seems like a repeat performance, although I know Shantae's also got a new game coming up in the future, so that's all that could really be for. But, that's still interesting.

That said, this is where my thought process is going.

Is it worth being concerned over the fact that, going into a new Fighter's Pass for 2020, we certainly have not seen anything in relation to Geno as far as merchandising goes? Like; Is that a gauge worth looking at, in regards to which characters seem to be likely to appear? Because, now, putting this thought process into perspective, there's a few different directions this could go;

1 - Geno has been considered for a spot, but to put out merchandise would make that too obvious, therefore, unlikely.
2 - Geno has not been considered for a spot, and thus, we can't expect any merchandise to herald such a thing as a Smash appearance
3 - Merch is possible, but could potentially only relate to a reappearance of the initial game from which he originated, and thus, means nothing for Smash (this one is tricky, because if SMRPG was to be promoted, it would probably make more sense to do stuff for the game as a whole versus just Geno individually, so, hm.)

I guess I would like to know what you think about this, too, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice - Do you think the lack of merch has any bearing on whether or not Geno has a favorable chance in the upcoming Fighter's Pass? As in, does Merchandise necessarily lay out the path for a character to be """relevant""" in time for their appointed reveal and release?
Geno doesn't need merchandise to get in. A character having merchandise isn't a check box point to get into the roster, just ask the retro characters.

D

Deleted member

Just to throw it out there, Mischief Makers/Marina was created by Treasure and published by Enix. I kind of doubt Square owns her or the Mischief Makers... uh... franchise. I guess everyone considers Nintendo to be the owner of the Sin and Punishment franchise despite also being created by Treasure, so, who knows. Every time the subject of ownership comes up, the true nature of how ****ing tangled and confusing copyright and IP ownership in video gaming is comes to light, and I personally hate it.

Also to be a smart guy, I sure do remember all that merch that Terry got totally out of the blue before he got announced in Smash. If you ever run down to Best Buy or Game Stop, you'll see that a ton of franchises and characters get merch totally out of the blue. For instance, Bleach hasn't been relevant in at least 4 years, but my local Target has started carrying a pretty ****ty Ichigo figure to go with some more recent anime. Is Bleach gonna make a comeback? Is Ichigo in Smash? How about the 90s cartoons that haven't been aired in 15 years, yet the characters are getting POP figures? We're living in something of a resurgence of 90s culture because barring trivial stuff like, oh, the student debt crisis, 90s kids are 90s adults and are prime time targets to have their childhoods sold back to them. Microsoft knows this, and hence cashed in on merch. Hell, this could be totally backwards - Banjo got into Smash as an extension of nostalgia pandering merch rather than Banjo got merch because he got into Smash?

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just to throw it out there, Mischief Makers/Marina was created by Treasure and published by Enix. I kind of doubt Square owns her or the Mischief Makers... uh... franchise. I guess everyone considers Nintendo to be the owner of the Sin and Punishment franchise despite also being created by Treasure, so, who knows. Every time the subject of ownership comes up, the true nature of how ****ing tangled and confusing copyright and IP ownership in video gaming is comes to light, and I personally hate it.

Also to be a smart guy, I sure do remember all that merch that Terry got totally out of the blue before he got announced in Smash. If you ever run down to Best Buy or Game Stop, you'll see that a ton of franchises and characters get merch totally out of the blue. For instance, Bleach hasn't been relevant in at least 4 years, but my local Target has started carrying a pretty ****ty Ichigo figure to go with some more recent anime. Is Bleach gonna make a comeback? Is Ichigo in Smash? How about the 90s cartoons that haven't been aired in 15 years, yet the characters are getting POP figures? We're living in something of a resurgence of 90s culture because barring trivial stuff like, oh, the student debt crisis, 90s kids are 90s adults and are prime time targets to have their childhoods sold back to them. Microsoft knows this, and hence cashed in on merch. Hell, this could be totally backwards - Banjo got into Smash as an extension of nostalgia pandering merch rather than Banjo got merch because he got into Smash?
I agree. All the Shantae merchandise coming out lately like the Totaku and Funco POP figures could be just for strong marketing reasons for Seven Sirens' upcoming release on WayForward's behalf. It could be for Smash, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree. All the Shantae merchandise coming out lately like the Totaku and Funco POP figures could be just for strong marketing reasons for Seven Sirens' upcoming release on WayForward's behalf. It could be for Smash, but I won't hold my breath.
Having an actual upcoming or recent release pretty much instantly explains any merchandise. No one bats an eye when Persona 5 gets merch, so of course it wasn't a hint to Joker's inclusion in Smash. Pokemon gets new stuff all the time, so I guess the entire next pass is Pokemon? Minecraft has had a line of figures, minis, plush toys, etc for like 6 years or more, and...

Minecraft in Smash has been done to death and that corpse has been dragged through the street already, I'll stop.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
GenoToto GenoToto

Nobody really needs merch. I think people kind of overblow Banjo getting merch. The reason he was getting merch wasn't because he was coming to Smash, it was because the series was going off its 20th anniversary and just part of the whole celebration. That's why I have my eye on a Tales character coming to Smash. Namco is making a big deal of the 25th anniversary of the series and someone like Lloyd joining would just be a part of that celebration.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
GenoToto GenoToto

Nobody really needs merch. I think people kind of overblow Banjo getting merch. The reason he was getting merch wasn't because he was coming to Smash, it was because the series was going off its 20th anniversary and just part of the whole celebration. That's why I have my eye on a Tales character coming to Smash. Namco is making a big deal of the 25th anniversary of the series and someone like Lloyd joining would just be a part of that celebration.
Didn't you said the team that developed Tales of Symphony works closely within the Namco-Bandai team that co developed/develops Smash 4 and Ultimate?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
GenoToto GenoToto

Id honestly feel they would opt to using Yuri for anniversary stuff for tales but thats my bias talking pff

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
And I kind of think it's macabre how the death of a VA is instrumentalized to talk down a character you do not personally want. I mean we are still talking about a real person who and throwing around his death casually like this does not sit right with me.
I mean, I genuinely thought they were done using the character afterwards, apologies if I was wrong but them not using Heihachi due to the passing of his VA would hurt his chances and can't just be ignored when discussing it. I'd assumed the character was retired and that was the reason why, I was not just trying to use his VA's passing as a way to draw assumptions on why I think the character may be unlikely. I'm sorry if it came off that way. I'm also not trying to "talk down a character I do not personally want" I just layed out my reasoning as to why I think Heihachi isn't likely. Personally, I don't care who the Namco rep is (or any other rep for that matter) as long as we get Geno as a fighter. If it were up to me, I'd have gone with Lloyd, but I honestly would not care much one way or the other if it's Heihachi over him. I don't really have any attachment to any Namco characters possibly coming to Smash, the only one I truly care about anymore is Geno.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
I FOUND SOMETHING! If the fighters are stacked in Ver. 7, there is exactly room for 6 more fighters, of which one could come with an echo fighter which means it fits with the Squad Strike CSS screen! It's also interesting how the DLC completely takes up the last row. This HAS to be intentional.
View attachment 263337
Okay, last part of this thought process:
Let's assume they care about the CSS considering how it looks on both screens after Byleth and how my theory so far has kept it tidy with all the promised DLC (while Stacked of course). I can see three outcomes if this pans out in the end:

SCENARIO 1: 6 FIGHTERS + 1 ECHO (LIKELY)
a.png

Basically what is most likely to happen, it keeps the Miis separate on the Squad CSS and the Stacked CSS clean.

SCENARIO 2: 6 FIGHTERS + 4 ECHOES (NOT VERY LIKELY)
b.png

I don't think we're getting 4 echoes with the 6 fighters, but it would fill out all 90 spots on both CSS screens.

This outcome has both CSS styles in versus and the Squad Strike CSS full and clean.

SCENARIO 3: 6 FIGHTERS + 1 ECHO + SEASON 3 (UNLIKELY)
c.png

Sakurai made it pretty clear there are only 6 left, so unless they change their minds, this one is not gonna happen.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay, last part of this thought process:
Let's assume they care about the CSS considering how it looks on both screens after Byleth and how my theory so far has kept it tidy with all the promised DLC (while Stacked of course). I can see three outcomes if this pans out in the end:

SCENARIO 1: 6 FIGHTERS + 1 ECHO (LIKELY)
View attachment 263348

Basically what is most likely to happen, it keeps the Miis separate on the Squad CSS and the Stacked CSS clean.

SCENARIO 2: 6 FIGHTERS + 4 ECHOES (NOT VERY LIKELY)
View attachment 263350
I don't think we're getting 4 echoes with the 6 fighters, but it would fill out all 90 spots on both CSS screens.

This outcome has both CSS styles in versus and the Squad Strike CSS full and clean.

SCENARIO 3: 6 FIGHTERS + 1 ECHO + SEASON 3 (UNLIKELY)
View attachment 263351
Sakurai made it pretty clear there are only 6 left, so unless they change their minds, this one is not gonna happen.
I hope this happens and we get more Echos man because I really want Medusa as a Palutena Echo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 263337
7 fighters you say? Potential evidence for a bonus 7th fighter?

this-will-make-a-fine-addition-to-my-collection-28530114.png

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Is it worth being concerned over the fact that, going into a new Fighter's Pass for 2020, we certainly have not seen anything in relation to Geno as far as merchandising goes?
To be fair though, Geno may be third party, but SE doesn't leak. Microsoft on the other hand...

I just want the dlc amiibos. Especially Banjo and Geno.
Same. Wanted KKR too but that ship has already sailed...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Id honestly feel they would opt to using Yuri for anniversary stuff for tales but thats my bias talking pff
From the same article that I shared with R RetrogamerMax

https://nintendoeverything.com/yoshizumi-on-including-tales-characters-in-next-smash-bros-more/

This is just one example of where even Namco says that if Tales gets a rep it's going to be one with a strong Nintendo connection and Lloyd leads that pack by a ridiculous degree. Yes, Yuri is supposedly the most popular among the fanbase but Lloyd is basically the signature "Nintendo" Tales lead, especially since Symphonia literally got two games that were Nintendo exclusives for the longest time.

D

Deleted member

To be fair though, Geno may be third party, but SE doesn't leak. Microsoft on the other hand...

Same. Wanted KKR too but that ship has already sailed...
Yeah, I got K. Rool on eBay. Luckily someone sold me him for $25 instead of scalpers on Amazon for like $40.

Firox

Smash Master
From the same article that I shared with R RetrogamerMax

https://nintendoeverything.com/yoshizumi-on-including-tales-characters-in-next-smash-bros-more/

This is just one example of where even Namco says that if Tales gets a rep it's going to be one with a strong Nintendo connection and Lloyd leads that pack by a ridiculous degree. Yes, Yuri is supposedly the most popular among the fanbase but Lloyd is basically the signature "Nintendo" Tales lead, especially since Symphonia literally got two games that were Nintendo exclusives for the longest time.
I would personally prefer Lloyd over Yuri for two reasons:

1) A duel-wielding sword style would be more interesting than yet another single-style.

2) Lloyd's outfit/hair look way cooler and less androgynous. Fite me.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Maybe this question was answered before, but here I go...
Who actually created Geno? Who's the individual that made Geno? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom