• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
This Direct is being very Indirect.

This Direct is like how they keep making nods towards Geno. Eventually, people get tired of the coy shtick and want a solid answer, not hint-hint 'If you know what I mean.'

Just. Say. It.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Are we really saying that being human or humanoid is something to complain about in terms of uniqueness?

Jesus, we really are spoiled, aren't we?

Now maybe I'M the one in the wrong here, but I see each character as a unique character, even echoes. I think the only exception would be Daisy as, unless something has changed, she is literally Peach in all forms of gameplay outside of design. Literally she is only different in aesthetics.

I am someone who argues that Lucina is a completely unique character to Marth even though very little was done to change her, because what changes were done make her gameplay different. I guess I just have lower standards for something being considered unique or different...or, you know, most of the Smash fandom likes to overly generalize things.

Fun opinion: Gameplay matters more than aesthetics. It doesn't matter if Geno gets in if you don't enjoy playing him. Sure, we may all freak out for a long ass time, but what about once we get our hands on him? What happens if you don't like how plays on a fundamental level? Will you continue to play as a character you dislike playing just because they happen to be a character you like aesthetically?

Thus, to me, I couldn't give a rat's ass who we get overall. I don't care if we get more Fire Emblem or more swordfighters or maybe other shill picks like Pokemon from Sword and Shield, because their gameplay and unique mechanics means more to me than the character. At early face value I was let down a small but by Byleth, but now I can't wait to drag people into the depths of the blast zone just because they wanted to spike me and I felt like recovering.

Also, anything can be made to be like something else when you generalize it enough. It's just like anything can be meaningful if you force it to be.

Brad Pitt is just 'another rich guy.'
The most delectable meal at a 6-Star restaurant is 'just a plate of food.'
The Joker is 'just another comic book villain.'
Smashboards is 'just another website on the internet.'
Smash Ultimate is 'just another video game.'

Do you see the problem with this mentality? You are throwing away all nuance with a blanket statement to make it fit a narrative. Clearly, there is more to it than what you are trying to let on, but literally anything can be dumbed down to the biggest generalization...but I'm sure you understand the folly in such an action.

You can not want a character, and the reason doesn't have to be objectively sound as it's about how you feel, but this is a bit much.

Something something 'Don't judge a book by it's cover.' something something 'More to them than meets the eye...' something something 'Walk a mile in their shoes.' something something I think my point has been made. If you write off a new character just based on their first presentation and never give them a chance you are not giving the character nor yourself a fair chance.
I don't think that's what people are saying. I think that people are saying that often times Mascot/nonhuman characters have more options for varied movesets that are much unlike things we've seen in Smash before. When you compare the likes of Geno to other characters it's easier to see because there really isn't anything else quite like Geno in gaming. Banjo using a bird in a variety of ways as a weapon feels different than a character swinging a sword around or using other projectiles. While there are some human characters that are on the silly side, most are more realistic and don't have the cartoony comic charm that many mascot characters have. For example, Crash doesn't do a whole lots that's interesting or really very different from what other characters could do or already do in the game but would bring his own unique charm to each move in a way other characters couldn't. It certainly is a matter of perspective and you're right that there's more to a character and their uniqueness than whether they're human or not, but very few human characters have that charm that the mascots do and I think that's what the argument really boils down to is that it depends how important that charm is to you.

That being said, Terry is a good example of a human character with very similar moves to some other characters being different and unique. I hate playing as Terry personally, but I respect that he has a projectile that travels along the ground, different moves for side B input, a mechanic that changes the way some of his moves work, etc. Terry is literally the best example imo of how human characters very much do provide a lot of unique potential to the game. I think Master Chief is the same way. Sure on the surface he's "guy with guns (from spaaaace)" but Chief has a lot of mechanics he can work with to differentiate himself: a constant shield that needs to be monitored because once broken he's significantly more vulnerable and needs time to recharge the shield, a variety of different weapons, grenades, armor power ups and abilities (these especially would help make him interesting), etc. So yes human characters can provide incredibly unique experiences to Smash players because really any character could. Most humans still don't have the same charm to them tho that the mascots do. Two exceptions I can think of are Phoenix Wright if they focused more on making him silly than serious and Frisk. I don't know a lot about AA, but I just imagine KOing someone with a giant textbox while screaming objection! It doesn't get much more silly or charming than that. And Frisk has a lot to work with from UT for silly charming moves while also being able to do a lot of interesting things and work in interesting new mechanics through the use of things like soul colors having different effects on their moves, pacifist/genocide mechanic of some kind, item/inventory use/management, etc.

Moral of the story: every character has the potential to be unique and bring something new and special to Smash and people who play Smash value certain things in characters over others which is why so many different fanbases exist. There's nothing wrong with wanting human characters more than nonhuman characters or not caring in the slightest whether or not a character is human or nonhuman, or wanting or not wanting characters who use a sword, or wanting characters with unique charm, or wanting more characters who use magic, etc etc etc. This fanbase loves to tell you it's stupid for you to want characters for certain reasons and make "rules" for why certain characters are better than others or are more likely or whatever the case may be. The only thing I think most people agree on is that they want something new, but "new" is also different for different people. New might mean new mechanic/gimmick/fighting style for some while just meaning new franchise or even just new character for others. Whatever the case, it's ok for people to value different things and there's nothing wrong with that. For me personally, I put a lot of value in silly fun cartoony charm, but I put most emphasis on personal connection to the character and/or unique moveset potential but there's nothing wrong with the way other people place their values.

Firox

Smash Master
Observe, I have absorbed Mandy's insider essence. Now I am the credible insider! Geno is next.
No, my friend! Have you learned nothing? Confidence = Fake News. If you really want Geno in, you can only tell us who ISN'T getting in. That way you can always back out. "This is the way." :happysheep:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
As for Dragonborn, Ubisoft getting costumes without a playable rep more or less sealed for me that other big companies could get Mii costumes too without a fighter.
We have yet to get Mii costumes from an as-of-yet unrepresented third party (excluding indies, of course), since Ubisoft already had content in the base game. Granted, we did get Arc spirits, but we haven’t gotten any Mii costumes yet

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The chat has really jumped the gun a bit over Mandycan. People forget that he could've meant the announcement for the Direct is on the 12th, which is tomorrow. Let's wait until tomorrow before we pass judgement, okay?

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I really feel like we have to get a direct soon. There’s only one first party 2020 game we know the release date of and that’s AC:NH... which comes out in a month.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The chat has really jumped the gun a bit over Mandycan. People forget that he could've meant the announcement for the Direct is on the 12th, which is tomorrow. Let's wait until tomorrow before we pass judgement, okay?
He literally said yesterday that he thinks it's on Wednesday and if the announcement is on Wednesday then he was wrong.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think Mandy said that if there is announcement on Wednesday, he is not to be credited for the Wednesday announcement.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Has there ever been a direct announcement on a Wednesday?

If not then I am going to personally march to NoA headquarters and duke it out with Doug Bowser.

Edit: Just saw the message @Zem-raj made, my nerd rage has been quelled... For now....
Yes. Like 90% of directs are announced only a day beforehand. If we have a Direct coming Thursday an announcement tomorrow is pretty standard.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
YOOOO WHAT?!

Man, I was really hoping that Mandy could shake things up.

Oh well, back to waiting on old fogies to tell us who isn't in and focus on vague movie leaks instead of video games.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if we do see a wildcard besides Waluigi, who do you expect to see?
For the Direct or Smash in general? The wild card for the Direct will be the revival of one, possibly two, dead Nintendo franchises. For Smash, I'm entertaining an Iwata tribute at some point. "Road to 100" theory gets us to 99 with these 6 characters so Nintendo possibly throwing in one final character to make it a 100 is a nice idea. Supposedly an Iwata tribute of some kind is a rumor in the Japanese Nintendo offices according to one of my guys so it's one of those things that makes me go "huh, neat; noted."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For the Direct or Smash in general? The wild card for the Direct will be the revival of one, possibly two, dead Nintendo franchises. For Smash, I'm entertaining an Iwata tribute at some point. "Road to 100" theory gets us to 99 with these 6 characters so Nintendo possibly throwing in one final character to make it a 100 is a nice idea. Supposedly an Iwata tribute of some kind is a rumor in the Japanese Nintendo offices according to one of my guys so it's one of those things that makes me go "huh, neat; noted."
Smash in general. As for the suppose Iwata tribute I think Balloon Fighter would make the most sense since Balloon Fighter was the first game Iwata coded for Nintendo if I'm not mistaken.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I’m with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and will give the benefit of the doubt about MandyCam and the direct timing. It was cocky as heck and making such claims really points a target on ya. If he is right about Crash as being six, then he has some cred. However, if no Crash ... then I will "pass judgment." When I say judgment, i mean, when he makes a statement/leak I will just go:

614VmsFwoNL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Other wards, I aint going to call him our or be mean. I am not one of those guys.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Being a day off on the Direct announcement isn't what kills the credibility, it's the information regarding the identity of Fighter 6. I'll hold off on judgement until that happens.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So, I want to bring up something that isn't talked about nearly enough - Super Mario RPG's integration into Smash. People believe Geno has no business being in Smash, but Sakurai has already referenced the game multiple times through Peach.

Peach has:
  • Slaps, from her Slap Glove or Super Slap as jab, dash attack, etc.
  • Parasol, from the same named weapon, as her up special
  • Frying Pan, from the same named weapon as one of her F-Smash choices
  • Peach Bomber, which had an explosion in Melee, could've been a reference to Psych Bomb
  • Her Final Smash puts people to sleep, which could've been a reference to Sleepy Time
Not to mention that Mario's Final Smash is similar to Ultra Flame.

I believe Geno is coming.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I said I'd do something like this a while back, so here it is: The complete list of all the Geno/Mallow/Super Mario RPG cameos in TerminalMontage TerminalMontage 's "Something About" series. This post is comprised of all of the videos for Season 1, with timestamps and accompanying images. So, without further ado, here's the tally for Season 1!
Something About Monster Hunter World ANIMATED
- No Geno cameo.

Something About Monster Hunter World PART 2 ANIMATED
- No Geno cameo.

Something About Yoshi's Island ANIMATED
- Geno cameo at 3:34, sitting behind Baby Bowser.
View attachment 261386

Something About The Spring Blossom Festival
- No Geno cameo.

Something About Super Smash Bros ANIMATED
- Geno cameo at 0:13, Geno pops up out of the chest Master Hand just grabbed Link from.
View attachment 261387
- Geno cameo at 2:40, Geno's name is listed as item 7 on the Ballot Results list.
View attachment 261388
- Geno cameo at 3:12, Geno is fighting Goku while Sans and Ridley fight on the upper platforms. This is followed by a rapidly flashing "Geno for Smash" section at the end at 3:20.
View attachment 261389

Something About Monster Hunter World PART 3
- No Geno cameo.

Something About Fortnite Battle Royale ANIMATED
- No Geno cameo.

Something About Kirby Super Star ANIMATED
- Geno cameo at 1:37, under the dashboard that Bandana Dee is standing at.
View attachment 261390

Something About GENO FOR SMASH BROS ULTIMATE
- Geno cameo at 0:01, the entire video is about Geno, and as such almost entirely features Geno.
View attachment 261391

Pokemon Battle Royale ANIMATED
- Mallow cameo at 1:34, appears in the clouds in the upper right portion of the screen.
View attachment 261392
View attachment 261393

Something About Super Mario 64 ANIMATED SPEEDRUN
- Geno cameo at 1:34, Geno's cap appears in Bowser's suitcase.
View attachment 261394

Something About Luigi's Mansion ANIMATED
- No Geno cameo.

MFW Geno's Not In Smash Bros Ultimate
- No Geno cameo.

Something About Castlevania ANIMATED
- Geno cameo at 1:57, sitting in the second jail cell.
View attachment 261396

Total
8 Geno cameos
1 Mallow cameo
If I've missed any cameos from these videos, feel free to let me know.
The search continues...
That's good Mister Mike, just missing 2 others from Something About Super Mario 64 ;) they are pretty hard to spot I think.

Firox

Smash Master
So, I want to bring up something that isn't talked about nearly enough - Super Mario RPG's integration into Smash. People believe Geno has no business being in Smash, but Sakurai has already referenced the game multiple times through Peach.

Peach has:
  • Slaps, from her Slap Glove or Super Slap as jab, dash attack, etc.
  • Parasol, from the same named weapon, as her up special
  • Frying Pan, from the same named weapon as one of her F-Smash choices
  • Peach Bomber, which had an explosion in Melee, could've been a reference to Psych Bomb
  • Her Final Smash puts people to sleep, which could've been a reference to Sleepy Time
Not to mention that Mario's Final Smash is similar to Ultra Flame.

I believe Geno is coming.
I gotta admit, things would just fit too perfectly with how the rest of Team SMRPG is already in the game (minus Mallow). Could you imagine the hype of having a team battle with Mario, Peach, Bowser AND Geno? If we get a Smithy costume, then I smell some freaking epic battle reenactments.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
We don’t know how Sakurai and his team count the characters, the reality is that with FP2 the count in their website will ascend to 81 and with echo fighters to 89.

Then if we add the 7 other koopalings and Alph as there are the only alts with different names, the count goes up to 96. So to get to 100 characters, we need 4 more (or 4 of the new 6 FP2 fighters includes alts with different names). In case they also include 4 more fighters, CSS will be a complete square and both “theories” of “Road to 100” and “WoL datamine slots” will be fullfied.

But all of this is just speculation and we don’t know what is in Sakurai head.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Madness consumes those who allow it to. We still have tomorrow left before this week is a bust.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Ya know, the more time passes, the more I entertain the idea that we get two character reveals during the next direct. Its EXTREMELY unlikely and almost unprecedented for DLC, but I’m starting to wonder.

Send help

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ya know, the more time passes, the more I entertain the idea that we get two character reveals during the next direct. Its EXTREMELY unlikely and almost unprecedented for DLC, but I’m starting to wonder.

Send help
It's not unprecedented (Corrin and Bayonetta were announced at the same time, and so were Hero and Banjo), but if we do get two character announcements at once, I figure it wouldn't be until E3.

Most, if not all, E3s with a Smash presence have gotten at least two reveals - Pit/Meta Knight/ZSS/Wario/Snake, Villager/Mega Man/Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters/Palutena/Pac-Man, Roy/Ryu, Daisy/Ridley/Everyone Is Here, Hero/Banjo.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
That's it, guys....the wait is too long....I'm gonna SNAP if we don't hear something soon......CURSE YOU, NINTENDO! SPEAK TO ME! GIVE ME THE CODES, NATALIA! GIVE THEM TO ME!

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We don’t know how Sakurai and his team count the characters, the reality is that with FP2 the count in their website will ascend to 81 and with echo fighters to 89.

Then if we add the 7 other koopalings and Alph as there are the only alts with different names, the count goes up to 96. So to get to 100 characters, we need 4 more (or 4 of the new 6 FP2 fighters includes alts with different names). In case they also include 4 more fighters, CSS will be a complete square and both “theories” of “Road to 100” and “WoL datamine slots” will be fullfied.

But all of this is just speculation and we don’t know what is in Sakurai head.
It goes to 99 if you throw in Hero's ALTs because they're all technically separate characters (Luminary, Erdrick, Solo, and Eight).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Send help
Megadoomer is right. At least two character reveals have been the standard for E3 since Melee. The only year this didn't happen was 2007 because Sakurai just revealed the characters on the Smash Dojo himself.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
TerminalMontage TerminalMontage Alright, found 'em.
- Mallow cameo at 0:28, as Mario is BLJing through Peach's Castle and into Bowser in the Dark World, an image of Mallow can be seen in the bottom left on the wall beneath the Star Door.
TMGeno008a.png

- Geno cameo at 1:19, as Mario smashes through the Star Door leading towards the third floor of the castle, the Bob-Omb Battlefield painting to the left will briefly change into an image of Geno.
TMGeno008b.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom