• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I have a feeling this rivalry stemps from "Sora is also a SE character( save the "hes not a SE character" lecture for later yall pff) and we cant have him beat Geno to smash" which is sad because it isnt a competition
That's pretty much it (and the wojak posters) if we're operating under the assumption that there will be no double dipping in the second fighters pass. One of them will certainly be a death knell for the other, and one side is going to be, to quote mother Theresa "hella mad"

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Sora can't work without disney, so he's not getting in
This isn’t about the Disney argument.

This is about the “must be with Nintendo” rule that has already been debunked and doesn’t even apply to Sora in the first place.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The idea that Sora can't be in Smash due to lack of Nintendo representation is pretty damn silly when there isn't a single mainline Persona game on Nintendo systems. And Nobody actually thinks the Nintendo games are spin-offs, its a literal meme that you need to play them to even understand what is going on.

What I think actually hurts Kingdom Hearts in my eyes is the Disney relationship, and the general fact that Kingdom Hearts appears has never been in ANYTHING but Final Fantasy or Disney. For a series that is literally a crossover in itself, it is super self contained. Hell, even Sora showing up in World of Final Fantasy was a limited DLC event. The only time I can remember of Kingdom Hearts appearing in something that wasn't Final Fantasy is a Keyblade in Disney Infinity, and again, that's a Disney game.

Compare that to Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Fortune Street exists, the Mario Sports games exist, Final Fantasy has been showing up in Yokai-Watch, Monster Hunter World, Tekken, Assassins Creed. Kingdom Hearts for whatever reason just doesn't do crossovers.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would like both Geno and Sora to make it into the roster together to make everyone happy. But I don't see that happening unless we get a Season Pass 3. I highly doubt they will double dip for any company for any of the Passes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Sora getting in is only a matter of whether Disney would be cooperative or not, and the legal issues regarding how he can be represented without the Disney-specific iconography. That's all there is to it. Geno and Sora are not competitors as they're owned by two separate companies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Except I explained why that's not true. Both Altus and Square Enix got their start on Nintendo platforms. Final Fantasy has an especially rich history with Nintendo, even having the first 6 mainline games. If you then go into ports, remasters, and exclusives on Nintendo platforms, the list is super expansive. Cloud is inarguably the most popular and most recognized Final Fantasy protagonist to the point that Cloud is argued to be the best character to not only represent Square Enix but JRPGs period.

Again, there are roughly 50 Final Fantasy games on Nintendo platforms alone, not even counting Square Enix games altogether:

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_(series)

Like I posted earlier, Altus has a relationship with Nintendo that goes back to the 80's. Their first ever game was on the NES and it was Megami Tensei, their signature series which Persona ultimately came from. Why have Jack Frost when Persona 5 was one of the company's best sellers, won awards all over the world, has multiple spin-offs, has inspired several Joker cameos even before Smash, etc. Like in the Cloud example, it just makes sense to go with Joker, just as it makes sense to go with Cloud instead of Moogle.
Joker comes from a Sony exclusive game, no matter which way you try and weasel out of it. If Nintendo history truly mattered as much as you are trying to make it out to be, again, we wouldn’t even have Joker in the first place. And we would have SMT content in this game. So if you want to die on this hill, you pretty much have already lost, lol.

Also, keep in mind that when Cloud was revealed, the screen said “SUPER SMASH BROS X FINAL FANTASY VII”. Not “Final Fantasy” proper, which they probably would’ve done if they truly had this mentality, but that game in particular, which was Sony exclusive when Cloud was revealed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, I wonder how the future is going to look for Geno if he doesn't make it into Ultimate. I don't really want to start the topic, but it's a possibility we have to be open about.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hold the phone Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I just noticed another huge hole in what you just said.

You claim Sora won’t get in due to lack of historical Nintendo association, but you have been adamant that Dante and Master Chief are coming in the next Fighter Pass. (The latter has never even been on a Nintendo console unlike Sora)

I understand that this is a Geno thread and all, but making up reasons on why the competition is less likely isn’t going to help Genos chances at all.
Except I've covered both extensively and here's the quick recap:

Dante- Capcom is making a full scale effort to have Devil May Cry have a presence on the Switch. They've ported three games in 8 months with an HD Trilogy on the way with exclusive content. This is more effort than Square Enix has done with literally any Kingdom Hearts ports on Nintendo platforms in 18 years.

Master Chief- Microsoft's head guy and Nintendo and Microsoft are getting pretty chummy. We've already gotten things like Lucky, Banjo, Cuphead, and Ori despite Nintendo and Microsoft being direct competitors. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the Master Chief Collection and that's basically the only missing piece right now. Bottom line: Microsoft is putting in a ton of effort to work and cooperate with Nintendo using some of their biggest franchises in a very short period of time.

Keyword for both characters: effort. Yes, neither have much historical relevance on Nintendo platforms but both are hard pushing to change that in a very short period of time. Again, all the stuff I've talked about has happened in the LAST YEAR. They are both hard pushing things and that can't be understated, especially in the light that Square can't even convince itself to do simple ports of Kingdom Hearts games on Switch. Square Enix has done multiple Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest dumps already so this is definitely that's grossly apparent when talking about this topic.

D

Deleted member

I personally prefer character that are highly associated to Nintendo but Crash and Master Chief would be huge.

Firox

Smash Master
In my humble opinion, I would go absolutely ape **** if the following ended up as FP2:

#6: Dante
#7: Geno
#8: Travis Touchdown
#9: Sora
#10: KOS-MOS
#11: Master Chief

Man, ending on the most gigantic WTF "never-ever" poster boy of Microsoft? Internet = Broken. Permanently. Reenacting Haloid alone would be well worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I don't even really want to debate this. Byleth was poorly received. That's the takeaway. There's nothing to really argue. The evidence is overwhelming. "Well, he wasn't poorly received by everyone." Well, what-****ing-ever. It changes literally nothing whether 5% of the Fire Emblem fanbase wanted him or 25%. It's done. It's not changing. It's ultimately irrelevant. Byleth could have worse poll numbers than Hitler and it wouldn't matter because, ultimately, who ****in' cares about the specific electron microscope degree parameters of this ****?
Once people were lashing out and attacking me months back by saying almost no one asked for Terry in Smash (a fact I stand by and it wasn’t even the point of my post), I learned that people will pick the smallest offhand comment of a post and just run with that instead of looking at the whole post. I’m one of the biggest Fire Emblem fans in here and I legit wanted Edelgard as DLC and whereas I like Byleth more than every DLC so far other than Banjo, he still disappoints me overall because of what could have been instead. For some reason some people like to hold the Geno thread accountable to some nonexistant rule that we have to speak well about every DLC choice who isn’t Geno. Probably the last thing I’ll do once Geno is in the game is seek vengeance on the people who aren’t happy with his inclusion. They lost I won at that point. If you really love Byleth so much, enjoy your ****ing victory. I sure wish I knew what that felt like.

Anyways, this is the worst dry spell I can remember for a General Nintendo Direct. February is this weekend and our last Direct was September 4th. Oof. I think it’ll be well worth the wait. I still think we’ll get character 6 there and it should tell us a whole hell of a lot about how this second fighter pass is going to go

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Except I've covered both extensively and here's the quick recap:

Dante- Capcom is making a full scale effort to have Devil May Cry have a presence on the Switch. They've ported three games in 8 months with an HD Trilogy on the way with exclusive content. This is more effort than Square Enix has done with literally any Kingdom Hearts ports on Nintendo platforms in 18 years.

Master Chief- Microsoft's head guy and Nintendo and Microsoft are getting pretty chummy. We've already gotten things like Lucky, Banjo, Cuphead, and Ori despite Nintendo and Microsoft being direct competitors. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the Master Chief Collection and that's basically the only missing piece right now. Bottom line: Microsoft is putting in a ton of effort to work and cooperate with Nintendo using some of their biggest franchises in a very short period of time.

Keyword for both characters: effort. Yes, neither have much historical relevance on Nintendo platforms but both are hard pushing to change that in a very short period of time. Again, all the stuff I've talked about has happened in the LAST YEAR. They are both hard pushing things and that can't be understated, especially in the light that Square can't even convince itself to do simple ports of Kingdom Hearts games on Switch. Square Enix has done multiple Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest dumps already so this is definitely that's grossly apparent when talking about this topic.
And who is to say that can’t change in the future?

You tried to make the argument that Kingdom Hearts is “overwhemingly Sony and not Nintendo friendly” in your OP, but that could literally be applied to the entire Persona series.

Plus, even after Joker got revealed, Atlus hasn’t bothered porting P5 itself or bringing the new Royal version to the Switch on release. The only Switch presence the series has right now is a low key spinoff that will release soon. So the argument that mainline games MUST be ported is already bunk.

Which ironically enough, you claimed that Kingdom Hearts having only spinoffs on Nintendo consoles hurts its chances, but that has literally been the entirety of Personas Nintendo presence.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In my humble opinion, I would go absolutely ape **** if the following ended up as FP2:

Man, ending on the most gigantic WTF "never-ever" poster boy of Microsoft? Internet = Broken. Permanently.
I have to say, that's one bad*** wishlist. I would definitely be satisfied with that DLC lineup.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Man, ending on the most gigantic WTF "never-ever" poster boy of Microsoft? Internet = Broken. Permanently.
There's not a single character on this list that I wouldn't be happy to have

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Joker comes from a Sony exclusive game, no matter which way you try and weasel out of it. If Nintendo history truly mattered as much as you are trying to make it out to be, again, we wouldn’t even have Joker in the first place. And we would have SMT content in this game. So if you want to die on this hill, you pretty much have already lost, lol.

Also, keep in mind that when Cloud was revealed, the screen said “SUPER SMASH BROS X FINAL FANTASY VII”. Not “Final Fantasy” proper, which they probably would’ve done if they truly had this mentality, but that game in particular, which was Sony exclusive when Cloud was revealed.
Alright, let's go at this from a different angle. You have to pick one character that best represents Square Enix and one that represents Atlus. Remember, you want people to be excited about these characters ESPECIALLY since they're DLC. Who do you choose? Under these circumstances, nobody would say something like Moogle or Jack Frost. Big picture wise, Cloud is basically the main mascot of Square Enix and Joker the mascot of Atlus. Do you know who the main mascot of HAL Laboratories was? Lolo, the blue dude who got usurped by Kirby a few years later. Imagine if Lolo originally got in before Kirby. Same premise. It's why Smash picks overwhelmingly go towards the more popular and iconic rather than the absolute most literal. Bottom line: these companies are picking their best and they're not going to pick the literal mascots if nobody really cares about them in comparison. Under no sane circumstances would Final Fantasy be represented by a playable Moogle or Chocobo before Cloud, just as Joker wouldn't be beaten by Jack Frost or Morgana.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I personally find the argument that Sora isn't "Associated with Nintendo" enough to be insanely stupid to be Frank.

Sure his series is primarily associated with Playstation but guess what? So is Joker, Ryu, Snake and even discussing characters like Master Chief, Dante, Crash are mostly associated with Playstation/Xbox.

Sora's second game was GBA exclusive, along with the likes of Re:Coded, Days, and DDD for the longest time. Heck, one of the first BIG games confirmed for the 3DS was DDD. Sure they came to Playstation, but long after their original Nintendo releases (and Days/Coded was just cutscenes).

If you're arguing that characters like Dante and Chief are associated with Nintendo enough to get into Smash (despite their ports only being very recent/rumoured), and draw the line at Sora for being too heavily related to Sony. Your argument isn't solid and you're just drawing at straws.

If Sora doesn't get in, it has nothing to do with not being associated with Nintendo. It has to do with his Disney association.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And who is to say that can’t change in the future?

You tried to make the argument that Kingdom Hearts is “overwhemingly Sony and not Nintendo friendly” in your OP, but that could literally be applied to the entire Persona series.

Plus, even after Joker got revealed, Atlus hasn’t bothered porting P5 itself or bringing the new Royal version to the Switch on release. The only Switch presence the series has right now is a low key spinoff that will release soon. So the argument that mainline games MUST be ported is already bunk.

Which ironically enough, you claimed that Kingdom Hearts having only spinoffs on Nintendo consoles hurts its chances, but that has literally been the entirety of Personas Nintendo presence.
It could change but Season 2 has already been decided as of this month. The deadline happened. The last six are locked in. Kingdom Hearts has zero presence on Switch with literally public plans existing. Times up. Like I said, Devil May Cry snuck in two games and Microsoft ported a bunch of **** before this deadline happened. More stuff is planned for the future. Kingdom Hearts for anything Nintendo is totally empty right now. They could literally announce Kingdom Hearts 4: Sora Gets Lost in JCPenney's today as a Switch exclusive but it's too late. Again, as of two weeks ago, Sakurai had said everybody had been decided and that was that.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Alright, let's go at this from a different angle. You have to pick one character that best represents Square Enix and one that represents Atlus. Remember, you want people to be excited about these characters ESPECIALLY since they're DLC. Who do you choose? Under these circumstances, nobody would say something like Moogle or Jack Frost. Big picture wise, Cloud is basically the main mascot of Square Enix and Joker the mascot of Atlus. Do you know who the main mascot of HAL Laboratories was? Lolo, the blue dude who got usurped by Kirby a few years later. Imagine if Lolo originally got in before Kirby. Same premise. It's why Smash picks overwhelmingly go towards the more popular and iconic rather than the absolute most literal. Bottom line: these companies are picking their best and they're not going to pick the literal mascots if nobody really cares about them in comparison. Under no sane circumstances would Final Fantasy be represented by a playable Moogle or Chocobo before Cloud, just as Joker wouldn't be beaten by Jack Frost or Morgana.
False.

Jack Frost is considered to be the default mascot of the company even after P5. A quick Google search will tell you this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlus

Again, they could’ve easily chose Jack Frost if Nintendo history truly meant everything to them.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
If Sora doesn't get in, it has nothing to do with not being associated with Nintendo. It has to do with his Disney association.
THIS. As I stated earlier, Joker alone is proof that Sakurai gets what Sakurai wants, regardless of Nintendo history. If he wants Sora, we're getting Sora. That said, I think the ONLY way that Sora would get hard killed would be if Disney wanted to get their tentacles deep into Nintendo's business and/or pockets, and Tendo just flat out said "No freaking way". Given the fact that Mickey/Goofy/Donald go hand in hand with Sora (or at least his Final Smash), I could totally see Disney trying to push creative angles that Nintendo/Sakurai are not comfortable with. 100% think Disney will be the hold up if nothing else.

EDIT: "KH4: Sora gets lost in JCPenny"? LOL The only problem is that the plot isn't convoluted enough for KH. Now, if the JCPenny was in the Shadow Realm, inside a video-game, inside a Toy Story mall, with a clone of Xehanort who is also his son and grandfather from the future, THEN we're talking.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It could change but Season 2 has already been decided as of this month. The deadline happened. The last six are locked in. Kingdom Hearts has zero presence on Switch with literally public plans existing. Times up. Like I said, Devil May Cry snuck in two games and Microsoft ported a bunch of **** before this deadline happened. More stuff is planned for the future. Kingdom Hearts for anything Nintendo is totally empty right now. They could literally announce Kingdom Hearts 4: Sora Gets Lost in JCPenney's today as a Switch exclusive but it's too late. Again, as of two weeks ago, Sakurai had said everybody had been decided and that was that.
But didn't Sakurai say something in the lines of it would be hard for us to get other characters in even if they have huge fanbases crying for them? I don't think that means that's it, but he's pretty much saying there isn't that many slots open left.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Your argument stops working when you realize that Joker had 0 Switch presence when he was confirmed as Fighter 1.

Literally the only presence he had on a Nintendo system then was a JP only release of Persona Q2 (a spinoff) on the Nintendo 3DS.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh I don’t think it matters, Nintendo also has a good relationship with these other companies so I don’t see why Master Chief’s position would be any different than the other characters’. Sakurai also sees Smash as representing gaming as a whole, and just sees a Nintendo appearance as a courtesy but never said it was required or anything.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Lemme give you 3 points to reject that line of reasoning.

1. Sora has been on Nintendo consoles before, just because he's not on any right now doesn't erase the history he had with the company and their consoles.

2. As Droodle mentioned, Joker had no Switch presence when he was revealed, and his only Nintendo presence was a spin-off game on a dying console.

3. Say they did announce "Kingdom Hearts 4: Sora Gets Lost in JCPenny's" for Switch right here, right now. Who's to say Square Enix didn't tell Sakurai ahead of time that they were going to make that announcement, so he would know that Sora was coming to the Switch in order to sway his decision?

Heoj

Smash Ace
Bruh this sora debate isn't going to go anywhere and its getting tiring

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Your argument stops working when you realize that Joker had 0 Switch presence when he was confirmed as Fighter 1.

Literally the only presence he had on a Nintendo system then was a JP only release of Persona Q2 (a spinoff) on the Nintendo 3DS.
Once again, big picture. Atlus. Who is Atlus's signature mascot that people actually give a damn about? Who would actually sell DLC?

False.

Jack Frost is considered to be the default mascot of the company even after P5. A quick Google search will tell you this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlus

Again, they could’ve easily chose Jack Frost if Nintendo history truly meant everything to them.
Imagine if Jack Frost was revealed at the VGAs instead of Joker. Actually, let's take this even further... Joker was considered good enough to reveal ON STAGE and LIVE at a MAJOR WESTERN AWARD CEREMONY. Could you make this argument about Jack Frost with a totally straight face? Same thing with Cloud, argued by many to be the best reveal of Smash 4. Do you think Moogle or Chocobo would have gone over just as well or even better? This is why I'm kind of in disbelief at the moment. Who else would Atlus choose aside from Joker to represent their company in Smash? Who else would Square choose aside from Cloud? What's the expression? Best foot forward and all that. That's the simple takeaway if you choose to ignore the historical ties.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I think the argument here is over the "company" not the "character" itself.

I believe Fatman(sorry, been here forever and still haven't learned how to properly tag people) is just saying that Atlus believes Joker represents their brand better than their actual mascot, Jack Frost. Same with Cloud representing Square-Enix better than a Moogle/Chocobo.

I am partial to Sora. I loved the first two mainline games. Never played the side story ones on Nintendo. But, with the the "remixes" coming to Xbox soon, I plan to give them a shot.

Also, with Sora, if we are going to say "Disney" is who he would represent, I think there are three perfect circles that may do it better. But, I am not sure that the case is "representing a company well" but more of a "Sakurai likes this character, has permission, and has an interesting/unique moveset in mind for said character."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"KH4: Sora gets lost in JCPenny"? LOL The only problem is that the plot isn't convoluted enough for KH. Now, if the JCPenny was in the Shadow Realm, inside a video-game, inside a Toy Story mall, with a clone of Xehanort who is also his son and grandfather from the future, THEN we're talking.
Sora: Kairi!

Kairi: Sora! Help me! I'm trapped inside JCPenny inside the Shadow Realm.

Jafar: Give me the Millennium Key boy and I'll set your girlfriend free.

Sora: I don't trust you.

Jafar: Well, it looks like I'll have to trap you both in JCPenny for eternity.

I believe Fatman(sorry, been here forever and still haven't learned how to properly tag people) is just saying that Atlus believes Joker represents their brand better than their actual mascot, Jack Frost. Same with Cloud representing Square-Enix better than a Moogle/Chocobo.
To tag someone, just put @ and that person's username together like this Fatmanonice Fatmanonice .

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't have much to say on the matter but maybe this tangent should end soon before this thread gets locked for the THIRD time in less than 2 months.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I would like Sora. His moveset writes itself, and his alts are very easy to imagine.

That said, my priority is Geno first. Get Geno actual playable to Smash, then I will throw full support to Sora.

And for the Disney side, his general moveset doesn't need to reference it. His Final Smash can easily use Riku and Kairi instead of Donald and Goofy.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Let's hope the mods don't decide at some point to permanently lock the Geno thread like they did to the Ridley Smash 4 thread back in the day.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Once again, big picture. Atlus. Who is Atlus's signature mascot that people actually give a damn about? Who would actually sell DLC?
Atlus's signature mascot is Jack Frost, there is no changing that. Yeah, Joker is more known; but that still doesn't change the fact that Jack Frost is still used as the mascot.

Still doesn't change the fact that Joker's only game at the time was a spinoff on the 3DS in Japan only at the time. Sora has a bigger/longer Nintendo history then that.

If they wanted a bigger Nintendo Associated character they could have chosen someone for SMT 4, but they didn't. So your argument falls apart.

Joker was chosen because he is popular/relevant. Not because of his Nintendo history, where he had even less going for him compared to Sora.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You conveniently dismissed the main argument I made in the post that you responded to.

Making up reasons on why your competition is likely out of the running is not going to magically make Geno more likely. And if I don’t recall, you were doing this last year with Dragon Quest as well. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom