• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For Point 4, the stages that came back are all incredible, and it was pretty much all of them. But there's some really horrible ones that shouldn't have come back. Why did we get Pac-Land instead of Pac-Maze? Why didn't Melee Mute City return? PokeFloats? Woolly World? What about Orbital Gate Assault - they spent a year on that!

I understand why Zebes/Sector Z didn't return because they were too similar to Brinstar and Corneria, anyways. Mushroom Kingdom Melee didn't return because Mushroom Kingdom 64 returned. Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls didn't return because of Summit and probably just horrible to play on.
I get why Pyrosphere didn't come back because the main gimmick (Ridley) is now playable. Miiverse is absent for obvious reasons (because it doesn't exist anymore and it was a Battlefield clone anyways)

Even for a game with huge missed opportunities at some areas, it outdoes itself. Just look at what we got from SNK recently! Castlevania, Street Fighter too!
There would have been NO way we would have gotten content like that back in Brawl and Smash 4.
Pac-Maze's gimmick worked when each player had an individual screen - they probably could have made it work (it would be a much better representation of Pac-Man than the MS Paint stage that we got), but it might not have been possible.

Melee Mute City might have been seen as being too similar to Port Town Aero Dive, similar to Sector Z and Corneria, and the fact that it took a year to make Orbital Gate Assault might have played a part in it not returning, if they had to remake the stages from the ground up (not sure if they'd have to do that or not, but that might have also played a part in Pokefloats not returning).

I'm not sure about the Woolly World stage, as I barely ever played on that one; I'm not sure if some kind of gimmick from the stage would have created an issue. (it seems especially weird considering that this game gave us a Yarn Yoshi skin)

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Wow, Kingdom Hearts III not on GotY list. I thought it would get there just for the name.

Also, didn't Death Stranding just come out and it's already on multiple nomination lists? Why does that come off as..........off?

D

Deleted member

Wow, Kingdom Hearts III not on GotY list. I thought it would get there just for the name.

Also, didn't Death Stranding just come out and it's already on multiple nomination lists? Why does that come off as..........off?
Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War pulled the same shifty business last year.

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to the game Awards:

Fire Emblem Three Houses for strategy game (SHOULD have been nominated for musical score as well at the very least, but whatever...)
SSB Ultimate for Fighting game and/or GOTY
Katana Zero for indie game

IDGAF about the rest tbh.

outside of seeing if the 3 games above win their categories, I'll also be watching to see if any noteworthy game announcements happen, Smash-related or otherwise, and also partly to laugh/cringe if the game awards end up becoming a Death Stranding/Kojima circlejerk like I feel it will.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i find stages such as 75m to be a very fun stage with it's hazards trying to represent their games respectfully, but if you dislike them than fine by me. The fact that i like those kinds of stages makes me sad that Orbital Gate Assault wasn't present and i really wanted to try the stage.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you! I do think 75M is really well-presented, and there's definitely some fun to be had on that stage. I just think that stage is really finicky to play, you accidentally go up a ladder when you're not supposed to. The platforms are so small it's hard to stay on them. Those quirks it has just annoys me when I play it, and it got even worse in Ultimate to the point where it's unplayable. It was semi-playable in Smash 4.
I miss Orbital Gate Assault too, it was a really well made stage, even if it wasn't perfect to play on.

Pac-Maze's gimmick worked when each player had an individual screen - they probably could have made it work (it would be a much better representation of Pac-Man than the MS Paint stage that we got), but it might not have been possible.
Melee Mute City might have been seen as being too similar to Port Town Aero Dive, similar to Sector Z and Corneria, and the fact that it took a year to make Orbital Gate Assault might have played a part in it not returning, if they had to remake the stages from the ground up (not sure if they'd have to do that or not, but that might have also played a part in Pokefloats not returning).

I'm not sure about the Woolly World stage, as I barely ever played on that one; I'm not sure if some kind of gimmick from the stage would have created an issue. (it seems especially weird considering that this game gave us a Yarn Yoshi skin)
I agree, but I think Pac-Maze should have just scrapped the gimmick entirely if it was too much of a hassle. However, Melee Mute City is not comparable to Port Town at all. The layout is completely different. The overall gameplay on Melee Mute City is also much faster. Racers will zoom by, they seem "slow" in Port Town. It's easy to get out of the way in Port Town, but in Mute City it's more difficult. It's probably a personal bias, but I just prefer Melee Mute City to Port Town. I guess maybe it was because they had Mute City SNES, but then again they have Mushroom Kingdom 64 and 2 (which is really just Subcon) and Stadium Melee and 2 so things are a bit backwards.

I have no idea about Woolly World either, but they could have just made it into a Crafted World stage. It's not like they'd have to change much, anyways.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
DK lost 2 stages, one most likely due to technical issues with the 2 planes of fighting (ironic since Terry is in the game) and the other because it was just awful.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Why 75m was chosen to be the classic donkey kong stage and not 25m will forever baffle me.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
There's a couple of things I don't like in Ultimate still, like:
  • The lack of no true story/adventure mode like we had in Melee and Brawl, and I miss Boss Battles from Brawl.
  • Some Echoes that were prime picks for echoes were just seemingly shoved to the side as Spirits or Assists.
  • Characters that heavily need to be reworked are still yet to be reworked, like Mario, Link, Ganon and Sonic, to name a few examples.
  • Abysmal stages that returned (75M) but not ones that actually made sense (Pac-Maze, Melee Mute City)
  • Overall lack of new stages like Pokemon, Xenoblade, DK, Sonic et cetera.
  • Old voice clips from Brawl and Smash 4 being used. Many of the original cast still use their old voice clips like Mario's, not using new ones from Odyssey. Yet Link's VA matched BOTW. Viridi's VA replacement is awful. Snake's codecs are not new. Palutena's Guidance doesn't work for DLC.
Even after all that, I still feel that Smash deserves to win. For Sakurai's sake. He didn't have to bring everyone back, no one was demanding that. We all knew going into the new Smash that there would be cuts, but we turned out to be wrong, thankfully.
Fan favourites such as Home Run and Stage Builder were improved by tenfold. All characters received new animations, and not just copied and pasted from Brawl/Smash 4. He didn't have to follow the Smash Ballot and give us Ridley and K Rool, but he did. He didn't have to follow through with Banjo and the Belmonts and Chrom, but he did.

Sakurai has really outdone himself this time. As a casual, I vastly preferred Brawl to Smash 4. I just loved the single-player options Brawl had.
Now Ultimate has outdone Brawl in my eyes, my favourite out of the Smash games.
Truly everyone is here. Truly this is "Ultimate".

I remember when everyone thought the Smash on Switch would just be an enhanced Smash 4 port. Oh how wrong we were.
I love 75M being present purely for the ability to play it in Omega and Battlefield forms. I love the arcade aesthetics of both it and Mario Bros and they're nice to lab on.

On that exact same note, I despise Pac-Land with the fury of 1,000 suns and how it's holding all the Namco songs hostage.

D

Deleted member

I love 75M being present purely for the ability to play it in Omega and Battlefield forms. I love the arcade aesthetics of both it and Mario Bros and they're nice to lab on.

On that exact same note, I despise Pac-Land with the fury of 1,000 suns and how it's holding all the Namco songs hostage.
I don't tend to think about Omega and Battlefield variants, my bad. I was more so looking at the stages on their own, rather than their variants, and I agree. it definitely feels like the original Donkey Kong. the presentation is amazing. I just wish it was easier to play.

Let's hope we get a Namco rep so we can release the hostages, haha

Hey, do we know what time tga will start at this year?
Didn't they mention December 12th? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Convoy

Smash Apprentice
All Smashboards users, the Game of the Year nominees have been revealed, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is on there! (Plus a nominee for best fighting game.)

Everyone, PLEASE vote for Smash, we all know the countless hours of love and passion poured into the game. Sakurai and his team deserve these awards. Please, pass this around wherever you can and spread the word! Let's all show Sakurai how grateful we are for all him and his team have done for us!

Best Fighting Game:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196848900977545217?s=19

Game of the Year:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196838294392332289?s=19

(Of course, if you feel like another game should win these categories you do you, but for those who don't... please vote!)
>Jump Force
>Best Fighting Game

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War pulled the same shifty business last year.
God of War came out in April, it’s not the same as the other two at all.

As for the GOTY award, I doubt that Smash will win it. It winning GOTY during the same event that they have a major character announcement for would lead to even some die-hard fans thinking that something was a bit suspect. It’s practically a lock for best fighting game, though, that’s one it can win without any controversy.

(For those unaware, the viewer vote only makes up a small percentage of the decision, it’s more jury-based.)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had something pointed out to me about SMRPG that is kinda weird...

Why doesn't Bowser have any fire breath attacks?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

... That’s a good question. I guess if you remember that Mario 64 wasn’t even out yet when SMRPG came out, maybe breathing fire wasn’t considered Bowser’s “signature thing” yet? In World he didn’t breathe fire at all (unless dropping fireballs from the Clown Car counts). Then Mario 64 and, oddly enough, Mario Party established it as his main thing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
... That’s a good question. I guess if you remember that Mario 64 wasn’t even out yet when SMRPG came out, maybe breathing fire wasn’t considered Bowser’s “signature thing” yet? In World he didn’t breathe fire at all (unless dropping fireballs from the Clown Car counts). Then Mario 64 and, oddly enough, Mario Party established it as his main thing.
But didn't he do it in the original Super Mario Bros. and SMB3?

D

Deleted member

I'm hoping Smash does win. It really does deserve to win, especially after the hard work from Sakurai and his team.
Though Smash is up against some heavy-hitters like RE2, Death Stranding and the Outer Worlds. I'm not sure about Death Stranding but everybody loves Obsidian so Outer Worlds is definitely going to get some love. RE2 doesn't need much of an explanation.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

If I had to guess, it was to avoid having Bowser use similar attacks to Mario's fireballs.

EDIT: They would probably end up with similar animations, I mean

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
But didn't he do it in the original Super Mario Bros. and SMB3?
Oh yeah he did, but he also threw hammers and did ground pounds. It was a thing he did but I don’t know if they considered it his signature move yet.

Also Malo Mart Malo Mart might be right about them not wanting to copy Mario’s moves

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
After Geno get's in, I will be spending the majority of my time on these forums in the Shantae thread. What about you guys, where we'll you'll be settling at on this site after Geno get's in?
I'll probably be mostly in the Edelgard thread. King Boo too, if that place picks up the pace.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I guess from a gameplay perspective they didn't want Bowser to feel redundant since Mario already had a bunch of fire specials.

It is kinda weird though since fire is something Bowser always used against Mario in SMB1, 3, and World.

D

Deleted member

God of War came out in April, it’s not the same as the other two at all.
Sorry, I tend to lose track of all of these "must play" titles.

It's been said to death but I think they wanted to avoid him sharing an element with Mario. Honestly, I wish Bowser had filled the "monk" role and had no magic attacks, it would have made the choice between him and Geno more meaningful, in terms of rounding out your party's abilities.

Geno's undeniably better, of course.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to kiss my job goodbye, my ass will be sued to oblivion and I'll end up behind bars, but I'll sacrifice it all for you guys.

The Gordon Freeman leak is real and I have PROOF!

View attachment 247239
credit goes to whoever made this mii fighter it looks pretty good ngl
I dunno man. This just screams mod. Has to be fake.
obviously it's the headcrabs that are playable anyways.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yes. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Shulk won't be in this game, my sources say. Better luck in Smash 6.
Of course it was fake, a one off character from a GameStop exclusive? Might as well tell me Banjo & Kazooie are gonna be in it.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Of course it was fake, a one off character from a GameStop exclusive? Might as well tell me Banjo & Kazooie are gonna be in it.
Pff, a one-off character and an old irrelevant character? No way these nobodies would ever be in Smash. And yes, that also means Geno is never coming either. :4pacman:

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Shulk won't be in this game, my sources say. Better luck in Smash 6.
Smash 6, aka Super smash bros Suboptimal.
We're not just losing 3rd party reps, we're losing characters from smash 64 too. You'll start with the original 8... and that's it. No more Weegee, no more Captain Falcon or Puff.
Well, okay. You can unlock ONE of the original 4 approaching challengers.
Sans. :troll:

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Geno was always meant to be the SMRPG character.

Its ultimately his responsibility to restore Star Road and while Mario is the main character, Geno is the foil to Smithy.

A demonic, metal smith who manipulates his own form threatens to dominate the Mushroom Kingdom. Geno, conversely, is an angelic entity who decisively takes on the already existent form of wooden doll, and arrives under the initial impression that he'll have to defeat Smithy on his own.

D

Deleted member

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, nominated for best fighting game, family game, and game of the year. What a situation we find ourselves in.

I adore this game for it's amazing roster, great gameplay, and amazing fun, crazy multi player matches you can have with anyone. I am so happy for Masahiro Sakurai, Sora LTD, and Bandai Namco for this. Will it win? I don't think so. But it will lock up fighting game of the year. For sure.

I definetly am watching to support, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Kingdom Hearts III, and Fire Emblem: Theee Houses, also Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5 and yes you too Death Stranding. Hope you all win big.

Great news Well deserved Masahiro Sakurai!

Also because Death Stranding is nominated and Hideo Kojima is there to probably recive a ton of awards Sam Bridges for character pass #5. Confirmed.

Heh heh yes I'm kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I'm supporting smash Ultimate and Outer Worlds as my primary two. I gave Three Houses and Sekiro a couple of votes as well. Sadly I had to vote Smash Ultimate over Luigi's Mansion 3. I feel really guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom