• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
SERIOUSLY. Have you seen the final Pokedex for Sword and Shield?! It's a freaking dumpster fire. Literally every single one of my teams (I have a singles team, two doubles teams and three triples teams (RIP Triple battles, I knew thee well) all pro level) have lost at least one key member thanks to this crap. Ironically, they included TONS of normal-type throwaways that NOBODY uses but are A-OK with trashing a wide swath of competitive choices. I mean, how many effing sheep pokemon do we need?! Really?! Ugh. I'm so going to hold out until something like Pokemon Stadium 3 or something comes out where I can finally use my teams in their proper glory. (and hopefully with graphics to match. Freaking Battle Revolution on the Wii SMOKED SwSh when it comes to graphics.)
Greninja, Klefki, Chansey and Mega Beedrill are probably the biggest losses for me. I used those guys a lot in Battle Spot. Greninja's Mat Block was been invaluable for protecting my doubles teammates from legendaries and it was great at taking down the likes of Mega Rayquaza, Klefki was a pretty great status mon and synergized well with Marshadow (RIP), though a lot of people hated her competitively, Chansey was always great to use with Eviolite, and Mega Beedrill was my go-to glass cannon. At least Trevenant and Cofagrigus both made it.

Firox

Smash Master
Every single one of my favorite Pokemon besides the karp was axed from gen 8. I was considering just picking it up used in a month or 2 but now I'm probably just going to forget about it entirely.
Same. They literally killed everything about it I liked from previously generations. As far as I'm concerned, Gen 8 is just another turn-based RPG to me now.

D

Deleted member

No. I recognize DOOM as a very iconic and impactful series but I don't think I've ever played a DOOM game except for DOOM 64. For whatever reason, I like the pairing of these two characters in all these recent memes. It's almost like a Groot and Rocket Racoon relationship despite the fact that Geno's hardly like Rocket aside from fire power and I have no clue what Doom Marine's personality is supposed to be like.
Doomguy's entire personality is really "Man I really just ****ing hate demons"
He's shown to have a soft and humorous side sometimes but his defining trait is his desire to destroy anything related to and affiliated with Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, my biggest gripe with SwSh isn't even the dexit. It's the graphics. It's just Sun and Moon HD. Battle Revolution obliterated it on that front as was mentioned before, but I would argue Colloseum and Gale of Darkness on the gamecube look better too. Especially in battle. Despite the claims of "high quality animations" even colloseum has VASTLY superior animations. Like the pokemon actually run at eachother to attack. They fall down and get back up when hit. They have complex idle animations. Not to mention the special effects for the attacks are infinitely better. It's just such a wasted opportunity to port everything over from the 3ds and give it a new coat of paint.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Anyways, to keep it on topic, Geno. Geno... Geno?
Yes, I see a beam of light when it comes to Geno.

Geno sees this as a boost for his chance of victory as well.

And while you're at it, give it a whirl.

As Geno blasts his way to victory.

He achieves victory in a flash.

D

Deleted member

He's shown to have a soft and humorous side sometimes but his defining trait is his desire to destroy anything related to and affiliated with Hell.
... and Geno's entire personality is "Man I really just ****ing hate the Smithy Gang".

They're basically the same guy!

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I Guess that means he hates Bayo as Much as I Do, since she uses those HFILspawn entities from her Series in battle!! So far, I Like his personality. . .

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Just wanna add Doomguy is also a lover of bunnies, and-

you'd be enraged too if demons came to your house and killed your pet rabbit Daisy

There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

Come to think of it... Has anyone ever seen Geno and Doom Guy together in the same room? ... I think we might be onto something...
We sure better see them together on the character select screen.

... But Samus and Zero Suit Samus are together there, too...

T2by4

Smash Lord
No. I recognize DOOM as a very iconic and impactful series but I don't think I've ever played a DOOM game except for DOOM 64. For whatever reason, I like the pairing of these two characters in all these recent memes. It's almost like a Groot and Rocket Racoon relationship despite the fact that Geno's hardly like Rocket aside from fire power and I have no clue what Doom Marine's personality is supposed to be like.
Doomguy is actually pretty chill. He even had a pet rabbit named daisy! But he's also the most BAMF video game character ever. God help any demon he comes across because he REALLY REALLY HATES demons. This is a guy that killed so many demons, they began worshipping him. This is a guy that killed nearly everything in hell forced Hell to surrender. This is a guy who got sent to hell when he died and killed everything in it so bad that they brought him back to life just to keep him out of hell. This is a guy who stopped demons from invading AFTER they thought it was a good idea to invade again to where he punished them by going to back hell and beat them to death for all of eternity.

I'm a big fan of doomguy, and seeing him in artwork with Geno is absolutely amazing to me. What I really hope is that if there's a trailer with both doomguy and Geno, he picks up the doll and gives it a fistbump like he does with the mini doom doll. I mean they both have guns, it can happen.

Attachments

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Greninja, Klefki, Chansey and Mega Beedrill are probably the biggest losses for me. I used those guys a lot in Battle Spot. Greninja's Mat Block was been invaluable for protecting my doubles teammates from legendaries and it was great at taking down the likes of Mega Rayquaza, Klefki was a pretty great status mon and synergized well with Marshadow (RIP), though a lot of people hated her competitively, Chansey was always great to use with Eviolite, and Mega Beedrill was my go-to glass cannon. At least Trevenant and Cofagrigus both made it.
Yeah, Greninja's Mat block was god-tier on my rainy weather triples team. He had the Protean ability and everything. For me, the biggest loss was Mega Charizard Y. I had a shiny one that was absolutely INSANE on both my singles team and my sunny weather triples team (Team Inferno as I so affectionately called them. They were so good that I went 350 wins undefeated online against entire teams of legendaries while the only legendary I used was Latios.) It was nice that they put in vanilla charizard of all the past starters, but still, the loss of Mega evolutions was huge since Mega Charizard Y was on a whole different level with Drought. I could drop solar beams out of nowhere and sweep like a beast with the sun powering up flamethrower. I also ran the world's more broken Typhlosion (I know it sounds dumb, but with Eruption, Drought, Choice Scarf, Cherim's flower gift and a Helping Hand, I could sweep entire triples teams in only two turns). Alas, he got screwed too. Good thing we still have gems like Unphezant./s

D

Deleted member

Doomguy is actually pretty chill. He even had a pet rabbit named daisy! But he's also the most BAMF video game character ever. God help any demon he comes across because he REALLY REALLY HATES demons. This is a guy that killed so many demons, they began worshipping him. This is a guy that killed nearly everything in hell forced Hell to surrender. This is a guy who got sent to hell when he died and killed everything in it so bad that they brought him back to life just to keep him out of hell. This is a guy who stopped demons from invading AFTER they thought it was a good idea to invade again to where he punished them by going to back hell and beat them to death for all of eternity.

I'm a big fan of doomguy, and seeing him in artwork with Geno is absolutely amazing to me.
sounds like a...

hell of a guy

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

you'd be enraged too if demons came to your house and killed your pet rabbit Daisy

That is the most adorable Goddamn thing I have ever seen

Rikarte

Smash Ace

I love Jeto's work so much. Her Castlevania art is beyond adorable.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
SERIOUSLY. Have you seen the final Pokedex for Sword and Shield?! It's a freaking dumpster fire. Literally every single one of my teams (I have a singles team, two doubles teams and three triples teams (RIP Triple battles, I knew thee well) all pro level) have lost at least one key member thanks to this crap. Ironically, they included TONS of normal-type throwaways that NOBODY uses but are A-OK with trashing a wide swath of competitive choices. I mean, how many effing sheep pokemon do we need?! Really?! Ugh. I'm so going to hold out until something like Pokemon Stadium 3 or something comes out where I can finally use my teams in their proper glory. (and hopefully with graphics to match. Freaking Battle Revolution on the Wii SMOKED SwSh when it comes to graphics.)
Not to mention, the only starter from previous generation that survived the cut is Charizard. ugh

D

Deleted member

So all of this talk about Doom Guy's personality made me go look it up, which lead to the interesting discovery that id software (which, by the purchase way back when, Bethesda) created and owns Commander Keen, which apparently takes place in the same universe as Doom and Wolfenstein, despite the radically different nature of the game.

I'll feel bad for Doom Guy friends, but if Commander Keen is the Bethesda rep I'm going to lose my mind.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
So all of this talk about Doom Guy's personality made me go look it up, which lead to the interesting discovery that id software (which, by the purchase way back when, Bethesda) created and owns Commander Keen, which apparently takes place in the same universe as Doom and Wolfenstein, despite the radically different nature of the game.

I'll feel bad for Doom Guy friends, but if Commander Keen is the Bethesda rep I'm going to lose my mind.
I think theres a decent chance we may see a mii costume for the other id characters, but we may get something fallout and skyrim instead

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yeah, Greninja's Mat block was god-tier on my rainy weather triples team. He had the Protean ability and everything. For me, the biggest loss was Mega Charizard Y. I had a shiny one that was absolutely INSANE on both my singles team and my sunny weather triples team (Team Inferno as I so affectionately called them. They were so good that I went 350 wins undefeated online against entire teams of legendaries while the only legendary I used was Latios.) It was nice that they put in vanilla charizard of all the past starters, but still, the loss of Mega evolutions was huge since Mega Charizard Y was on a whole different level with Drought. I could drop solar beams out of nowhere and sweep like a beast with the sun powering up flamethrower. I also ran the world's more broken Typhlosion (I know it sounds dumb, but with Eruption, Drought, Choice Scarf, Cherim's flower gift and a Helping Hand, I could sweep entire triples teams in only two turns). Alas, he got screwed too. Good thing we still have gems like Unphezant./s
Y'know, speaking of Dynamax, I would've been more receptive to it if they had just merged them together rather than outright replacing it. Like, if you have a Gallade, you can Gigantimax it and it's Gigantimax form is Mega Gallade. Megas and Gigantimax are pretty similar mechanically anyways, so why didn't they just do that?
I think theres a decent chance we may see a mii costume for the other id characters, but we may get something fallout and skyrim instead
A Fallout costume would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed with Sword and Shield. I probably will still get it, but my interest with Pokemon in general has died down quite a bit. Also I'm loving the art with Geno and Doom Slayer. I imagine Geno as calm and the thing that would calm Doomguy down. Kind of wish I came here sooner to add to the Doomguy knowledge (basically everyone else said what I already knew). Because I love Doom and it's great seeing more people become interested in Doom and take Doom Slayer more seriously as a possible candidate.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
You all realize the pokemon they "cut" aren't gone forever, right...? They're just not in swsh. They'll be in the next game, probably. I think another game like battle revolution is likely to happen soon so battles can happen with every pokemon.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
See what I told y'all about Doom Marine and bunnies? On top of that, Super Mario Galaxy has shown us that star bunnies exist, and I can imagine Geno loves those little guys.

They gotta get together and hang out in a pile of bunnies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Interesting more stuff about the Mii video:

The pin got me thinking if all of these taunts line up and it turns out they might be on the same frame, meaning if this is true, there's either a dev tool to make all players taunt at the same time (as we see in the ken leak) or somehow this dude thought of this. ken taunt: 21 frames to reach leak pose mii taunt brawler: 21 frames to reach leak pose mii taunt gunner: 21 frames to reach MAYBE leak pose (i can't tell in this video because the mii is facing a different direction, however the lack of sparkle on the handgun lines up) https://i.gyazo.com/dc2f36a58cdf1b0edc4c9d01fc1c1fb9.png https://i.gyazo.com/a4b2538c8a83d39ff746c802338184d2.png https://i.gyazo.com/254a0c74b125ecd2468857e6f9b544b2.png

AugustusB

Smash Champion

The pin got me thinking if all of these taunts line up and it turns out they might be on the same frame, meaning if this is true, there's either a dev tool to make all players taunt at the same time (as we see in the ken leak) or somehow this dude thought of this. ken taunt: 21 frames to reach leak pose mii taunt brawler: 21 frames to reach leak pose mii taunt gunner: 21 frames to reach MAYBE leak pose (i can't tell in this video because the mii is facing a different direction, however the lack of sparkle on the handgun lines up) https://i.gyazo.com/dc2f36a58cdf1b0edc4c9d01fc1c1fb9.png https://i.gyazo.com/a4b2538c8a83d39ff746c802338184d2.png https://i.gyazo.com/254a0c74b125ecd2468857e6f9b544b2.png
I am curious if the same lines up with the old Ken leak. If you do the same thing with those fighters (Pichu, Ivysaur, Ken and Pacman) would they line up on the same frame as well?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You all realize the pokemon they "cut" aren't gone forever, right...? They're just not in swsh. They'll be in the next game, probably. I think another game like battle revolution is likely to happen soon so battles can happen with every pokemon.
At the rate things are going, the next game will just be USUM again; updated game but with the legendaries from previous gens added back in, a few new formes, a new minigame, and nothing else.
We'll get a couple new Pokemon added in, more specifically complete versions of the new fossil Pokemon.
I am curious if the same lines up with the old Ken leak. If you do the same thing with those fighters (Pichu, Ivysaur, Ken and Pacman) would they line up on the same frame as well?
We're really doing this, aren't we? :ultpiranha:

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
I believe the taunts were also on the same frame in the original Ken leak with Ivysaur and Pichu.
You should be able to taunt on the same frame by pausing and going frame by frame. Haven't tested it myself though. But yea I don't think a special version of the game would be required to achieve this.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Guys, I have this TGA thing some thought, and I have an idea:
So what if, since the mallow and Cacodemon mii costumes both look complete, which is definitely odd, what if, we get 2 back to back announcements, what do I mean? A mini direct in Dec 7 for Geno being #5 and a Gamer Awards announcement for Doomslayer, it makes so much sense!
Geno would make perfect since for a smash bros mini direct because all of his popularity comes from the smash community, and I think Sakurai will do something for our 1 year anniversary.
Doomslayer makes sense for a game awards announcement because he would make the perfect interruption reveal, like Joker and the Phantom thieves, The Host could be talking to the audience, and the the Huge monitor could start staticing and a computer lady could say “WARNING: THE SLAYER HAS ENTERED THE FACILITY”and start the trailer from there, it makes so much sense!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Intriguing.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
Someone pointed this out, it doesn't really prove anything but it's noteworthy. Apparently in the screenshot the three characters are all taunting on the exact same frame.

Like everyone pressed the taunt button on the same frame. PushDustIn's post there is a pastiche of them all stuck together. It's frame 21 of their taunts. So it's a "frame-1 input" for all three, which is kind of hard to do, but you could do it if you really tried to with 3 controllers. Or, again, with mods. The Ken leak does this same thing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I feel this music fits the mood of where we are now in terms of waiting for news on the next character.

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
Just tested it, it's quite easy to do. Pause the match, go to camera controls, hold down the taunt buttons on all controllers, press L to go forward frame by frame. No mods or developer tools required.

Plank08

Smash Lord
What’s the Best name?
Doom Marine, Doomguy, or Doomslayer?
Personally I think Doomslayer sounds the best but Doomguy could be used if Classic doom got a costume

D

Deleted member

Whale theory, and then angle theory, and now frame theory.

This plot is thicc, boi.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I really hope Doom Slayer's (potential) reveal trailer starts off in first person view. No one would know exactly what they're looking at for a second. It could seem like a Doom Eternal gameplay trailer up until the moment he breaches a door and steps out onto Battlefield only to be confronted by Nintendo's most wanted rather than a legion of demons.
Ooh I forgot about Pokemon Revolution. Fifty dollars to see your Diamond and Pearl Pokemon in 3D glory. Worth tbh. I stacked my game with Action Replay pokes from Diamond and that **** was hilarious. My Jiggly Puff knew Roar of Time and Spacial Rend lmao.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Doom Slayer is probably the best choice, but they might not want to use the word "slayer". I think it's harmless, but they might go with Doom Marine.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
What’s the Best name?
Doom Marine, Doomguy, or Doomslayer?
Personally I think Doomslayer sounds the best but Doomguy could be used if Classic doom got a costume
Slayer for sure. He has so many names, including Hell Walker. A nice point of trivia is that it was once canon that he was BJ Blazkowicz III, descendant of Wolfenstein's longtime protagonist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom