• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Not released, but worked on. Sakurai has stated that Joker, Hero and Banjo was done at the same time iirc
Oh no, I get that since we know things get worked on at the same time. Hence the assumption people have, like GX saying its fake because "we see these mii's together, so they must be released at the same time to be "legit" leak, so it's fake. I apologize for not being clear on that.

D

Deleted member

I personally remember getting stuck there for a bit too. Didn’t mind it so much since I loved the music that plays there, but still.
I was a weird kid and was sad that the swanky music from before Booster rode in on that train stopped playing. Nowadays I appreciate both of his themes.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna say, I don't think the Gamexplain guys are saying the CacoMallow stuff is fake because they have some sort of insider knowledge to the contrary. I think what's happening is a combination of the following:

1 - They have a lot on their plate in terms of their own video content, so they don't feel it worth their time to really dig into this. I mean, Pokemon Sword & Shield are coming out in little over a week and they have to play through it and do their review, Terry just dropped so they've had a lot to cover there, they have a podcast, they have all sorts of original content to produce. I wouldn't be suprised if they were just swamped and didn't have enough time to look into it more closely. When you have a lot or other stuff to do and a bunch of people are talking about this potential leak that at a surface level glance looks fake to you, you'd be hard-pressed to want to cover it extensively since that would mean time away from what you were intending to do (it's their job after all), so you produce a quick video on the matter discussing it to stop people from hounding you to cover it and move on. Doesn't even matter how good or well-researched your take is, addressing it at all should be good enough for these people.

2 - They make it a policy to dismiss every 4chan leak as fake regardless of how good it looks, unless there's enough to definitively support it. Given that they said both the Grinch Leak and the ESRB Leak were both fake kind of tells me that they (or at least Derek) operate on a "fake until irrefutably real" basis. For example, the Ken leak was considered 50/50 by them due to the unique circumstances surrounding it, such as the game not being out yet, or Moray Towers not having any ink on it, which would be near impossible to fake. The CacoMallow stuff, no matter how good it looks, there's no real smoking gun that could definitively prove it's legitimacy, and it could very well be faked since we have the game and there are very talented individuals who could totally fake something like this. And if they believe this could very well be faked like every other 4chan "leak", why even take it seriously?

Either way, their takes on the CacoMallow posts are absolute :dkmelee: and while I get where they're coming from, they could've done a much better job on it.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
No ****?! I did too! I'm ashamed to admit that I probably didn't pronounce his name right until like 2006.
I remember in the early 2000's after a few playthroughs I finally asked my mom how you pronounced that name and my mind was blown. I had a hard time believing her simply because I really hadn't seen the name Geno outside of that game. I now had to pretend to be Jeeno outside in our mock SMRPG battles instead of Ginno

Firox

Smash Master
Nintendo's going to be a bunch of sadists and make us hold our pee until January.
Us: "But I really, REAAALLY gotta know who the next character is."

Nintendo: "Can't you hold it?! You just got Terry!"

Us: "We can stop once we've started....it stings!"

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really don't understand the fan rules about why there won't be a reveal at TGA. "They wouldn't do that 2 years in a row". Why the **** not? What rule is there that they can't reveal a character at the same event twice? That's so arbitrary and nonsensical. "People are expecting it though". Who the **** cares? People expect smash reveals at E3 and Directs too. That means literally nothing. People are just making up random **** to say there won't be a character there. There's not even the tiniest bit of logic in it. Can we seriously stop with this?

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Full disclosure, I STILL catch myself pronouncing it "Jen (like in Jennifer)-oh".
This is pretty much what I called him for a long time growing up. I don't even remember when I started calling him Geno like Gene-oh, maybe late 2000's/early 2010's.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've always pronounced Geno's name correctly... :drshrug: I've already been promised at most seven carrots, but may I have even more as a reward?

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I've always pronounced Geno's name correctly... :drshrug: I've already been promised at most seven carrots, but may I have even more as a reward?
I, too have always pronounced it correctly. And I, too would like carrots. Whole ones, with delicious, fatty ranch dressing.

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Monkey's Paw situation: Geno's in Smash but Xander pronounces it "Gee (like in geese)- knew." Not going to lie, I'd probably just kill myself immediately upon hearing it.
Better than Je-no, as I did when I was a kid since spanish is my first language.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have always been able to pronounce his name correctly as well. It's probably due to my first exsposure to Geno being Chuggaaconroys let's play of SMRPG.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
No. They had a "hunch" about who did it but that's it. It was looked into in private and those two people were cleared very quickly. It's been asked that the names aren't made public so that those people don't get harassed despite their innocence.
Sorry to respond to this so late, but, this is very interesting to me... Vishera’s certainty is what had me convinced, but if that “confirmation” that they had found the modders was incorrect...
...man, the DMCA absence does still concern me, but I’m leaning back towards real again...

StormC

Smash Hero
I personally think the costume leak is fake but it has no bearing on Geno’s chances.

With the current info rollout though...it could be a while whether we see if Geno makes it, lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Bayonetta 2 was nominated in 2014, Super Mario Maker was nominated in 2015. Both Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey were nominated in 2017.
And Breath of the Wild won!

I imagine both Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Three Houses have a high chance of being nominated this year.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Sakurai: 'Well, I wanted to add Geno to Smash, but his fan thread can't pronounce his name correctly so **** 'em.

Here's Pink Gold Bubsy instead. He's a Marth echo."

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Geno’s introduction in SMRPG was what really made me take to him so quickly. A steaming mad Geno confidently stomping through the Forest Maze heading straight for Bowyer to take his lunch money and the star piece.

And there was me behind him yelling “w-wait up!” while stumbling over my own feet into enemies and taking wrong turns

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I imagine both Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Three Houses have a high chance of being nominated this year.
Yes, again I'm predicting that.

My predicted GOTY nominees are Devil May Cry 5, Disco Elysium, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice,
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Well, one of those will probably get snubbed since they haven't had more than six nominees before.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Sakurai: 'Well, I wanted to add Geno to Smash, but his fan thread can't pronounce his name correctly so **** 'em.

Here's Pink Gold Bubsy instead. He's a Marth echo."
I love how Marth will forever live in infamy as the Lord of the Clones.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I, too have always pronounced it correctly. And I, too would like carrots. Whole ones, with delicious, fatty ranch dressing.
I don't really like eating ranch with carrots. Not that I hate ranch or anything, I just prefer eating carrots raw.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna say, I don't think the Gamexplain guys are saying the CacoMallow stuff is fake because they have some sort of insider knowledge to the contrary. I think what's happening is a combination of the following:

1 - They have a lot on their plate in terms of their own video content, so they don't feel it worth their time to really dig into this. I mean, Pokemon Sword & Shield are coming out in little over a week and they have to play through it and do their review, Terry just dropped so they've had a lot to cover there, they have a podcast, they have all sorts of original content to produce. I wouldn't be suprised if they were just swamped and didn't have enough time to look into it more closely. When you have a lot or other stuff to do and a bunch of people are talking about this potential leak that at a surface level glance looks fake to you, you'd be hard-pressed to want to cover it extensively since that would mean time away from what you were intending to do (it's their job after all), so you produce a quick video on the matter discussing it to stop people from hounding you to cover it and move on. Doesn't even matter how good or well-researched your take is, addressing it at all should be good enough for these people.

2 - They make it a policy to dismiss every 4chan leak as fake regardless of how good it looks, unless there's enough to definitively support it. Given that they said both the Grinch Leak and the ESRB Leak were both fake kind of tells me that they (or at least Derek) operate on a "fake until irrefutably real" basis. For example, the Ken leak was considered 50/50 by them due to the unique circumstances surrounding it, such as the game not being out yet, or Moray Towers not having any ink on it, which would be near impossible to fake. The CacoMallow stuff, no matter how good it looks, there's no real smoking gun that could definitively prove it's legitimacy, and it could very well be faked since we have the game and there are very talented individuals who could totally fake something like this. And if they believe this could very well be faked like every other 4chan "leak", why even take it seriously?

Either way, their takes on the CacoMallow posts are absolute :dkmelee: and while I get where they're coming from, they could've done a much better job on it.
I think the reason most people are on taking the GameXplain videos as a bad sign is because how poor the videos actually are.

With the Ken and ESRB leak, they at least discussed the content somewhat in depth before stating that they think it was fake.

With the Grinch leak and the Mii leak, GameXplain barely discussed the leak. They pretty much only stated it was false, and gave no solid reasoning.

The lack of takedowns and GameXplain stuff, does make me think the leak may be a very well made hoax.

That said, Geno still has a good chunk of evidence backing him up even without the leak. If the leak is fake, it effects Doomguy the most.

TBH, I have a feeling that we'll see Geno and Yuri as playable characters in the post-pass.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry to respond to this so late, but, this is very interesting to me... Vishera’s certainty is what had me convinced, but if that “confirmation” that they had found the modders was incorrect...
...man, the DMCA absence does still concern me, but I’m leaning back towards real again...
I'm curious about that too and there's a couple of theories floating around as to why:

-Nintendo doesn't think it's worth the effort.

-Nintendo doesn't want to basically confirm it but nuking it off the internet.

In the case of the second situation, imagine the hypothetical situation where it really was meant to be a VGA announcement? Congrats, Nintendo! You just played yourself by spoiling it a month and a half in advance... Nintendo looks like an idiot and everyone involved in the announcement would be rightfully pissed. Still, I don't know the legal implications in this scenario either so I don't know what Nintendo's legally obligated to do in a situation like this if anything.

D

Deleted member

I think the reason most people are on taking the GameXplain videos as a bad sign is because how poor the videos actually are.

With the Ken and ESRB leak, they at least discussed the content somewhat in depth before stating that they think it was fake.

With the Grinch leak and the Mii leak, GameXplain barely discussed the leak. They pretty much only stated it was false, and gave no solid reasoning.

The lack of takedowns and GameXplain stuff, does make me think the leak may be a very well made hoax.

That said, Geno still has a good chunk of evidence backing him up even without the leak. If the leak is fake, it effects Doomguy the most.

TBH, I have a feeling that we'll see Geno and Yuri as playable characters in the post-pass.
What I'm curious about is whether or not GameXplain has ever known Smash information that the rest of the notable insiders don't know. The Grinch scenario was so different than what we're dealing with now, where the best we can get is a shrug.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
In fact, the lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. This guy would be more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.
No lie, I used this EXACT SAME comparison/joke for the Grinch Leak last year. And look how that turned out.

No. They had a "hunch" about who did it but that's it. It was looked into in private and those two people were cleared very quickly. It's been asked that the names aren't made public so that those people don't get harassed despite their innocence.
Very cool that Vish framed their "hunch" by saying "the two people who did it are confirmed". Very cool, very honest.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If Geno and Doom Guy are in it would definitely clear the room. There's only a handful of sizeable fanbases after that with some like Crash having a decent shot of coming later down the line anyways.
Crash is definitely one of the longest waited character alongside Geno since the melee poll that makes me wonder who is left from the melee poll who are still having a big support to this day

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think I read on the Pokemon subreddit that Nintendo Lawyers are scrambling with all the Pokemon leaks flying around. Since Pokemon releases next week and Geno/Doomguy is TBA, Pokemon might be the priority to stop right now. It could also be because they don't think simple Mii costumes are worth pursuing since it doesn't confirm any playable characters. Just some .50 cent Mii costumes will appear.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
and it could very well be faked since we have the game and there are very talented individuals who could totally fake something like this.
That’s the thing, as of right now, we have some very talented individuals on the modding side basically in agreement that this isn’t possible with what we currently know. People can get relatively close(you can make the entire head texture a helmet, but then they obviously wouldn’t emote), but no one’s been able to replicate the circumstances exactly.

Basically, to fake this, you’d have to privately make massive strides in Mii Costume modding and be such an expert at it that none of the rest of the community working together can replicate your process, specifically copy the Ken leak right down to the frozen timer and different angle but then randomly leave out the debug code and extra 0, and create two game-quality hats that include an original, ratings-friendly design on one and jigglebones on the other, all in a span of like three weeks if the Mallow/Smithy leak was the intended kicking off point.

It’s far, far more complicated than the banner leak ever was.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
What I'm curious about is whether or not GameXplain has ever known Smash information that the rest of the notable insiders don't know. The Grinch scenario was so different than what we're dealing with now, where the best we can get is a shrug.
They pretty much "leaked" most of the stuff in the September direct last year, including the FF ports and Isabelle as a playable character. They did it in the guise of a "prediction".

They are a VERY Nintendo-centric channel, so it wouldn't be surprising if they have a contact way higher up in Nintendo. This can be seen when they correctly hint at a unrevealed direct coming soon, by tweeting ominous things.

That said, they have also gotten things wrong in the past; but they never "leak" stuff, they only state it as "predictions".

Edit: Before anyone mentions that they got the ESRB leak wrong; It is important to know that this was when they were still a relatively minor channel, and no where near as big as they are today.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
That’s the thing, as of right now, we have some very talented individuals on the modding side basically in agreement that this isn’t possible with what we currently know. People can get relatively close(you can make the entire head texture a helmet, but then they obviously wouldn’t emote), but no one’s been able to replicate the circumstances exactly.

Basically, to fake this, you’d have to privately make massive strides in Mii Costume modding and be such an expert at it that none of the rest of the community working together can replicate your process, specifically copy the Ken leak right down to the frozen timer and different angle but then randomly leave out the debug code and extra 0, and create two game-quality hats that include an original, ratings-friendly design on one and jigglebones on the other, all in a span of like three weeks if the Mallow/Smithy leak was the intended kicking off point.

It’s far, far more complicated than the banner leak ever was.
I keep seeing this with no sources attached. Can we get one for posterity's sake?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
RingJ5 RingJ5 nailed it right there. That's what so perplexing about this whole leak. This is no image or text leak. It is a video. There are modders who have done some mods, but nothing in the likes of these Mii hats which from a technical point is much harder, albeit not a known way to do it via the modding community.

Of course it is possible that this is all an elaborate fake, but it seems at the moment it's improbable.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Im still confident in the leak, if not moreso. All the attempts to shoot it down have been very flimsy and make it look better. And unlike the Grinch leak, we have actually gameplay footage, not just a blurry pic and a huge set of coincidences.
If this was all modded, the dude is literally galaxy brain levels at this point. I really doubt someone couldve found the secret to modding in new, detailed mii hats without help from others

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It is interesting how the modders whom say it’s easy “miss the point” (according to another modder) by showing off a retextured / model swapped helmet or mask, which the other modder said just replaces the head completely because the game just unloads it. It seems they can swap a typical hat’s model, but they seem to have issues compressing high quality detail and positioning/scaling the hat. The Mallow hat also has a physics bone that can easily be seen in one clip comparing the hat to a solid pirate hat, and the bone doesn’t make it move the same way as the Tails hat’s hair nor the Slime hat.

The people who shut it down by saying “It’s a mod” fail to realize that if it’s fake, that means modders can just replicate the official Smash Bros. style for these hats, and while possible, it’d mean even real leaks of these things couldn’t be trusted until the end, so we can’t really drop it until Fighter 6 or 7 if not later.

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
No matter what Nintendo does, these are Smash fans, the same ones (including myself) that thought we'd still get a character reveal during Terry's showcase for some reason. I still think the level of quality + never before seen on the internet means the mii costumes are real. I dunno.

1573151304942.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom