• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Mind if I ask why this thread is rooting for the leak to be real so badly?

Really think about it for a second, if the leak ends up being real, the timing of it was simply too perfect for it to be completely unrelated to tomorrows presentation. Simply put, they would be very likely to be shown tomorrow if real.

And if Geno really is coming in the future, why would Sakurai give such an obvious hint? Especially when he knows his popularity in this fanbase? Also bear in mind he implied that he knew people picked up on the Dark Samus and Chrom alts being missing, there is no way he wouldn’t know the conclusions people would draw from a Mallow only Mii costume.

So that would leave two possibilities

1. Geno Mii costume also gets revealed
2. Mallow only, no Geno in sight at all for DLC(Though very unlikely, leaving the 1st option to be the likeliest, sadly)

If I were one of you guys, I would be praying that Sabi or Verge 100% debunks the leak.
A) There's no proof or indication that the Mii costumes in question HAVE to be revealed tomorrow.

B) If the leak is true, then Geno's chances increase because giving Mallow a costume is additional recognition for his franchise, hence proof of Sakurai's visibility towards long-standing fan demand.

C) If the leak is false, then we aren't gaining any further knowledge or assurance toward Geno's chances. Basically, it wouldn't count AGAINST him but it wouldn't bring us any closer to knowing his fate.

D

Deleted member

Really think about it for a second, if the leak ends up being real, the timing of it was simply too perfect for it to be completely unrelated to tomorrows presentation. Simply put, they would be very likely to be shown tomorrow if real.

And if Geno really is coming in the future, why would Sakurai give such an obvious hint? Especially when he knows his popularity in this fanbase? Also bear in mind he implied that he knew people picked up on the Dark Samus and Chrom alts being missing, there is no way he wouldn’t know the conclusions people would draw from a Mallow only Mii costume.

2. Mallow only, no Geno in sight at all for DLC(Though very unlikely, leaving the 1st option to be the likeliest, sadly)

If I were one of you guys, I would be praying that Sabi or Verge 100% debunks the leak.
Because the costumes don't have to show up in the immediate future? The timing can be whatever it wants to be, why did we know Hero so early on in speculation only for him to show up half a year later? You know what, nevermind that, you could write it off and it's weak. Let's go with the strong evidence:

Why was a placeholder for his character officially in the game's code months before he showed up? To the point that we knew the height and movement properties of the character?

The rest of the FGC insists that Smash isn't actually a fighting game despite the fact that the developers and the video game industry at large has declared it the most popular/most financially successful fighting game in the world/history. Poor guys. They're just bitter.
I'd be bitter too if I labbed inescapable guaranteed combos for hundreds of hours on my $120 custom fight stick just to go 0-2 at a local to a guy who has a slightly easier inescapable guaranteed death combo while the guys across the aisle playing Smash can dedicate a third of the time to a more free flowing, creative game and use the controller the game console came with to absolutely no detriment, and also all of my everyman characters are showing up one after the other in this cartoony kids party game.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So the fight stick thing is real huh, was hoping it would be truth be told I learned fighting games that way so I've been a stick jumper my whole life, if this is actually integrated well then hopefully I won't have to regret never making the switch to play optimally.

D

Deleted member

Prepares microphone and the spotlight focuses on me

Ahem: Geno

Applause

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
in reply to nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 , I believe you are assuming these Mii costumes are coming along with the Terry reveal. If I am incorrect in this, I don't believe we, or other speculation is connecting those mii costumes to the Terry reveal.

The current assumption are these Mii costumes are part of the developer's build. It does not mean that they are to be released imminently. A mii costume/hat/helmet would logically take a fraction of the time to develop opposed to a full fledged fighter. So there could be all sorts of Mii stuff that is either being developed or "just sitting there" ready to be released.

We do not know what goes on in the back scene of development. Does Sakurai and his team only work on Mii costumes when they are finishing up with a fighter? Is there a small portion of the team that work on Mii costumes, that can be all said and done, or nearly done in advanced to the fighter that comes with it? Is it a mix of development between Mii's and Fighters? We don't know.

So it would appear that if the leak is true, it would bolster the chances for these two characters, Geno and Doom Guy, as opposed to lessen the chance.

If it is indeed fake, it doesn't really affect their chances, since they are the same before this leak.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Also I'm really intrigued to see if that 4Chan leak predicting Terry is coming November 6th is real. Frogger is such an off-the-wall choice that honestly wouldn't surprise me based on fatmanonice's speculation about a character that would be completely out of left field (it's been awhile, so I'm foggy on the details of the specific post right now). Here I was thinking I wasn't going to get up at 7AM just to watch a presentation about Terry. Things change quick.

I swear if Sakurai doesn't make a joke at the end of the presentation asking the audience "are you okay?" after all the reveals tomorrow then none of this was worth it

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I was about to bring this up. Why is Nintendo so adamant on telling us that no news on new fighters is coming? They didn't do that for the last 3 DLC fighter showcases.
Maybe because everyone is fired up on leaks and they want to temper expectations

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

There isn't a single thing about the 30 seconds of video and image that says those Mii costumes are coming with Terry. Considering it's supposedly playtester footage and the new update is coming out tomorrow, assuming the leak is real the patch those costumes come with are still in a beta testing stage, likely months away

D

Deleted member

We do not know what goes on in the back scene of development. Does Sakurai and his team only work on Mii costumes when they are finishing up with a fighter? Is there a small portion of the team that work on Mii costumes, that can be all said and done, or nearly done in advanced to the fighter that comes with it? We do not know.
I said yesterday that it probably takes less than a work day to create and texture these models and I think our friendly modding community that is trying so hard to debunk the leak is proving my point.

Another ship I'm going down with, as long as this leak is real, is that mii costumes are done months in advance of the character actually being done.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
This is the kind of leak that is real until proven fake. Unlike all these text leaks, even photo leaks, it's always the other way around ... or should be viewed that way.

EDIT: Or I should say to me it feels like a leak that is real until proven fake, due to there being video support AND the modding community divided between it. This is FAR different than your simple text or "photo."

Last edited:

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
Simply put, they would be very likely to be shown tomorrow if real.
Nah, you don't know when and how they develop these things. They could've started work on these costumes 7 months ago, and plan on revealing them in 2 months. We don't know these things.

Firox

Smash Master
I'd be bitter too if I labbed inescapable guaranteed combos for hundreds of hours on my $120 custom fight stick just to go 0-2 at a local to a guy who has a slightly easier inescapable guaranteed death combo while the guys across the aisle playing Smash can dedicate a third of the time to a more free flowing, creative game and use the controller the game console came with to absolutely no detriment, and also all of my everyman characters are showing up one after the other in this cartoony kids party game.
Ironically, the thing I love most about Smash is that it DOESN'T play like a traditional fighting game. It handles more like a platformer with fighting game elements added in. Couple this with an absolutely EXPLOSIVE roster and tons of moveset diversity, it's no wonder why it's so successful. It's also a hella ton more accessible to new and inexperienced players, unlike the usual fighting game where unless you've labbed a character for 100+ hours you just get MAULED without even getting to move. The whole "party"/multiplayer aspect is just the icing on the cake since it allows for WAAAAAY better coach coop than any other FG by far.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
in reply to nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 , I believe you are assuming these Mii costumes are coming along with the Terry reveal. If I am incorrect in this, I don't believe we, or other speculation is connecting those mii costumes to the Terry reveal.

The current assumption are these Mii costumes are part of the developer's build. It does not mean that they are to be released imminently. A mii costume/hat/helmet would logically take a fraction of the time to develop opposed to a full fledged fighter. So there could be all sorts of Mii stuff that is either being developed or "just sitting there" ready to be released.

We do not know what goes on in the back scene of development. Does Sakurai and his team only work on Mii costumes when they are finishing up with a fighter? Is there a small portion of the team that work on Mii costumes, that can be all said and done, or nearly done in advanced to the fighter that comes with it? Is it a mix of development between Mii's and Fighters? We don't know.

So it would appear that if the leak is true, it would bolster the chances for these two characters, Geno and Doom Guy, as opposed to lessen the chance.

If it is indeed fake, it doesn't really affect their chances, since they are the same before this leak.

I’ll say this again, if this leak occured about a bit earlier, I would have probably draw the same conclusion

However, this leak occured on the same day as the 11/6 announcement

If the leak is real, I simply have no reason to believe that they wouldn’t get shown. In fact, I borderline expected that to be the case before Nintendo said there were no character announcements tomorrow

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Why would you assume these costumes would have to be revealed during this livestream?
I was about to bring this up. Why is Nintendo so adamant on telling us that no news on new fighters is coming? They didn't do that for the last 3 DLC fighter showcases.
Sakurai may be a troll, but he's not a liar and he's not one to mislead us. The livestream being 45 minutes would definitely lead us to believing that there had to be more than just Terry, and it's likely he knew this and just wanted to nip that little detail in the bud, so as to not get us hyped over nothing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Forgive me if I am jumping to conclusions, but didn't they say there would be "no information" on new fighters in the presentation? That would probably be just information like how we're getting information on Terry. I believe we could still get a trailer without much, if any information on a character, personally speaking. They just show the character(s) and that is it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ironically, the thing I love most about Smash is that it DOESN'T play like a traditional fighting game. It handles more like a platformer with fighting game elements added in. Couple this with an absolutely EXPLOSIVE roster and tons of moveset diversity, it's no wonder why it's so successful. It's also a hella ton more accessible to new and inexperienced players, unlike the usual fighting game where unless you've labbed a character for 100+ hours you just get MAULED without even getting to move. The whole "party"/multiplayer aspect is just the icing on the cake since it allows for WAAAAAY better coach coop than any other FG by far.
I agree. There are few traditional fighters I can play or enjoy and the majority of that is because the inputs are so complicated. I understand it was a balance decision but Smash proves that less is more in that capacity. Smash is so easy to pick up a character and tell if you vibe with how they play almost immediately - the intricacies come later as you figure out everything they're capable of. Meanwhile, over in Street Fighter or something, you have to play almost an hour to get every input down for one character, and even longer to get them consistent because of how finicky stuff like quater and half circles can be. If you pick a character that has moves that just don't work for you, you wasted all that time. Skullgirls is the only fighter I've played that comes close to getting you familiar with the jist of a character in very simplistic terms before you go into the more complex inputs.

It's also great not to get caught up in death combos because of how much stuff like DI and the change in knockback at certain percents factors in. It's really a great experience all around.

I’ll say this again, if this leak occured about a bit earlier, I would have probably draw the same conclusion

However, this leak occured on the same day as the 11/6 announcement

If the leak is real, I simply have no reason to believe that they wouldn’t get shown. In fact, I borderline expected that to be the case before Nintendo said there were no character announcements tomorrow
Gotcha, ignore the reasons that your primary hangup means pretty much nothing and keep being hung up on the hang up. Honestly your avatar should have tipped everyone off that you have no sincere reason to be here.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm gonna go offline for a little while now. Maybe I will go do something else to keep my mind off this entire situation. Or maybe I will come back because I'm borderline obsessed with this game. Hopefully nothing major happens while I'm gone.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Why would you assume these costumes would have to be revealed during this livestream?

The timing of the leak and the announcement makes me believe these Mii costumes could be immediate if the leak is true. (I know I could be wrong, I’m just preparing for the worst because Doom Slayer is in my top 3 most wanted)

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sakurai has no plans to reveal any new fighters tomorrow. But that doesn't stop HIM from forcing his way in.
IMG_20191105_110608.png

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo are trying to save face. On the Nintendo versus twitter after the Terry livestream post, 2 hours later they post the post: " there will be no announcements of unrevealed fighters". Nintendo probably caught wind of the leaked Cacodemon & Mallow costume that lead us to believe DoomGuy for #5 and Geno for post-pass #1.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I agree. There are few traditional fighters I can play or enjoy and the majority of that is because the inputs are so complicated. I understand it was a balance decision but Smash proves that less is more in that capacity. Smash is so easy to pick up a character and tell if you vibe with how they play almost immediately - the intricacies come later as you figure out everything they're capable of. Meanwhile, over in Street Fighter or something, you have to play almost an hour to get every input down for one character, and even longer to get them consistent because of how finicky stuff like quater and half circles can be. If you pick a character that has moves that just don't work for you, you wasted all that time. Skullgirls is the only fighter I've played that comes close to getting you familiar with the jist of a character in very simplistic terms before you go into the more complex inputs.

It's also great not to get caught up in death combos because of how much stuff like DI and the change in knockback at certain percents factors in. It's really a great experience all around.

Gotcha, ignore the reasons that your primary hangup means pretty much nothing and keep being hung up on the hang up. Honestly your avatar should have tipped everyone off that you have no sincere reason to be here.
I don’t think it is wrong to show a bit of skepticism from time to time.

And I’m not even saying that it is 100% going to happen, I’m saying we can’t rule out that possibility.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about the costumes makes little sense to be for Terry, tbh. If the leak holds up, insiders knew of Goemon and Rocket Grunt costumes since July, as well as knowing about Mallow/Smithy/Chocobo for well over that. It just leads me to believe that Mii costumes are prepared very, very well in advance.

Eh, I dunno, I'm leaning on fake for the leak anyway lol. I'm not worried about it much.

D

Deleted member

I don’t think it is wrong to show a bit of skepticism from time to time.

And I’m not even saying that it is 100% going to happen, I’m saying we can’t rule out that possibility.
maybe I'm just being paranoid but your skepticism seemed to border on condescending/insulting. There's just no reason to assume that the timing was anything more than a coincidence.

Firox

Smash Master
Full disclosure, I caught this exact person on the Terry thread saying how much they couldn't believe that people would call Terry a literal "who?" when they thought Geno was even more of a "who?". They are obviously biased in the negative, but in the interest of avoiding gatekeeping, just accept the angle they're coming from.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Good morning everyone. Less than 24 hours we will see Terry's showcase. Also if any surprises. I do find that odd that Nintendo had to mention the fact that do not expect any new information regarding unrevealed fighters. They never bothered till now. Something is up their sleeves. If i had to guess on what the outcome would be is In Terry's showcase they do a massive reveal and state they were just kidding about no new unrevealed fighters. on a side note I know its a bit of a stretch maybe but lets not forget in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS direct Sakurai said during the direct " What happened to Zero Suit Samus you say? Well she is not going to be apart of this iteration of Smash.........................................................................Just kidding. " So Kidding around is not unfamiliar with Nintendo. In case THAT does not happen my other guess - Terry Show case - etc.... Nintendo Direct incoming December with new info for smash OR Fighter Pass 1 closing Direct. Just my thoughts. Hype responsibly people - I want Geno just as much as all of you do. :) Honestly i feel good about Geno - its just a matter of when......
It's just trying to maintain the hype levels because they're specifically not announcing new characters tomorrow. People were expecting a new character, so this is swatting down those expectations. The Zero Suit Samus bit was the longest "kidding" we've ever had and it lasted last than 30 seconds, not multiple days. They could announce another event, but this is clearly supposed to be a Terry/SNK focused event with no new characters.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo are trying to save face. On the Nintendo versus twitter after the Terry livestream post, 2 hours later they post the post: " there will be no announcements of unrevealed fighters". Nintendo probably caught wind of the leaked Cacodemon & Mallow costume that lead us to believe DoomGuy for #5 and Geno for post-pass #1.
Nintendo has never tried to save face like this before, so I really doubt it. They probably just saw the expectations of a new character and realized that needed to be shot down lest the greedy fans consume the whole event and surroundings with salt.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Full disclosure, I caught this exact person on the Terry thread saying how much they couldn't believe that we'd call Terry a literal "who?" when they thought Geno was even more of a "who?". They are obviously biased in the negative, but in the interest of avoiding gatekeeping, just accept the angle they're coming from.
I mean, I can understand why people would be frustrated with that, but only if people are being genuinely uncool about Terry. I knew about Terry before Smash, so seeing him revealed had jazzed me up. Some people didn't know who he was, and to those, I and other people did educate them on who he was. All was amicable and all was cool.

Now, the people who immediately assume that Geno's fans who don't know who Terry is are garbage? That's negative bias lol. They're from different territories of video game passion. It's really not surprising that there isn't an overlap. Innocent ignorance is nothing to be so salty about. Now, the fans of Geno who put Terry down for not being Geno and being a 'literal who', being genuinely mad about Terry's reveal... that's where the problem lies. We get that crap thrown at us all the time. Why throw it against others?

That being said, when it comes to the bad category of people reacting to Terry with ignorance, I haven't seen much of it. I really haven't. There's that one reddit post that blew up with a supposed Geno fan complaining about Terry and being ridiculous about it, but they're far from indicative of the general fan base.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
i’ve got to say... i never expected to read “mallow” and ”jiggle physics” in the same sentence. smash speculation is truly a ride.

also, does the mallow mii costume look unsettling to anyone else? is it just me? i can’t even put my finger on exactly why. seeing it made me extremely excited because i love mallow with every bone in my body and every fiber of my being but it also strikes a primal and unrecognizable fear within me.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
i’ve got to say... i never expected to read “mallow” and ”jiggle physics” in the same sentence. smash speculation is truly a ride.

also, does the mallow mii costume look unsettling to anyone else? is it just me? i can’t even put my finger on exactly why. seeing it made me extremely excited because i love mallow with every bone in my body and every fiber of my being but it also strikes a primal and unrecognizable fear within me.
He wants your brains

I'm sorry, there's a reason why he's a hat

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Why hasn't Nintendo shut down the leak video's yet? That's the most suspicious thing to me.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
maybe I'm just being paranoid but your skepticism seemed to border on condescending/insulting. There's just no reason to assume that the timing was anything more than a coincidence.
I don’t see how I was being insulting or condescending in my comments.

And before Nintendo said there were no new fighters to be announced, people were freaking out about the leak being real for that reason alone. But now that Nintendo shot down that possibility, everyone is now saying it was just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Keep in mind that anything can backfire with the last FP1 Invite almost landing.

Plank08

Smash Lord
The last Smash direct before launch was around 40 minutes and had a ton of fluff despite showing off three characters. I'm struggling to think of what else they would add that's not a new character unless it's a new mode like Smash Run.

Please be Smash Run...
This guy speaks my language!!

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, I can understand why people would be frustrated with that, but only if people are being genuinely uncool about Terry. I knew about Terry before Smash, so seeing him revealed had jazzed me up. Some people didn't know who he was, and to those, I and other people did educate them on who he was. All was amicable and all was cool.

Now, the people who immediately assume that Geno's fans who don't know who Terry is are garbage? That's negative bias lol. They're from different territories of video game passion. It's really not surprising that there isn't an overlap. Innocent ignorance is nothing to be so salty about. Now, the fans of Geno who put Terry down for not being Geno and being a 'literal who', being genuinely mad about Terry's reveal... that's where the problem lies. We get that crap thrown at us all the time. Why throw it against others?

That being said, when it comes to the bad category of people reacting to Terry with ignorance, I haven't seen much of it. I really haven't. There's that one reddit post that blew up with a supposed Geno fan complaining about Terry and being ridiculous about it, but they're far from indicative of the general fan base.
Totally fair points. I honestly didn't see a lot of salt against Terry in here either. My only point was that some of the posters in here are biased against Geno so it makes sense that they would entertain all the worst-case scenarios. Then again, some healthy skepticism is something we shouldn't neglect either. We just need to understand the biases at play here, both positive and negative.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

Mallow does not possess the face of mercy
20191105_124533.jpg

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
To be honest with you, I was never a fan of Fatal Fury or King Of Fighters but I respect those who like Terry and I'm glad for them, the only reason I'm going to see Terry's presentation is only because of the possibility that they announce other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom