• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Even if we say, "But Nintendo," this would be absurdly out of line with not only their direction in the Switch years, but very specifically would create a cataclysmic amount of salt that would bury last year's November Direct ten fold and go completely against literally everything Sakurai has done with Smash Ultimate to date. It's beyond ridiculous lol.
I said it before and I say it again. We are going to have a 45-minute long video presentation which includes the history of Terry and all that jazz. In Banjo's presentation, they revealed Sans.. a highly popular request as a Mii Costume. Just recently a video leak got released. A leak that claimed a Mallow and a Cacedemon costume will be in the game. A day before the video presentation is officially revealed where Nintendo confirmed that there is no character reveals

I¨m sorry, but as much as I hate it like everyone else, the confirmation of no character reveals, the video leak and the fact that its 45 min long make that leak rather possible. It could be Sakurai's way to include as many franchisees as possible.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I said it before and I say it again. We are going to have a 45-minute long video presentation which includes the history of Terry and all that jazz. In Banjo's presentation, they revealed Sans.. a highly popular request as a Mii Costume. Just recently a video leak got released. A leak that claimed a Mallow and a Cacedemon costume will be in the game. A day before the video presentation is officially revealed.

I¨m sorry, but as much as I hate it like everyone else, the confirmation of no character reveals, the video leak and the fact make that leak rather possible. It could be Sakurai's way to include as many franchisees as possible.
There's still a massive gap between confirming someone like Sans as a Mii costume, and confirming Sora alongside 4 other highly requested and even downright massive gaming icons as costumes in the same go. This is some of the worst fear mongering I've seen over a Smash related presentation in a while TBH. Like, they could easily still reveal one costume of a highly requested character, but just saying this leak out loud points to multiple absurdities and also indicates Sakurai has just decided to go absolutely ballistic on Mii costumes in addition to actively trying to piss fans off at that point. It's just not believable unless Sakurai has finally had it with our **** and wants to make us suffer lol.

D

Deleted member

Oh, it came out after the mii costumes were shown? Then why is it getting that much attention? I thought it was getting that much attention because the mii costumes shown were seemingly confirming it.
It's getting pushed around by people who would rather believe/make us believe that we're getting set up for some 11/1/18 tier nonsense. It falls apart under moderate scrutiny and might not even exist, since I never got a chance to find it on an archive like fireden.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
So I've been arguing the whole "muh side character in one game" debacle and I found the rebuttal

SHEIK

Feel free to bully me if this is common theory, but Sheik was an unplayable side character in one game by her introduction in Melee. Her only other Zelda appearance is Hyrule Warriors. It would've been extremely easy to finish Zelda's moveset with sort of magic.

P.S: Man you guys really hate coincidences don't you.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So I've been arguing the whole "muh side character in one game" debacle and I found the rebuttal

SHEIK

Feel free to bully me if this is common theory, but Sheik was an unplayable side character in one game by her introduction in Melee. Her only other Zelda appearance is Hyrule Warriors. It would've been extremely easy to finish Zelda's moveset with sort of magic.

P.S: Man you guys really hate coincidences don't you.
Sheik is a first party character.

Point moot.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I said it before and I say it again. We are going to have a 45-minute long video presentation which includes the history of Terry and all that jazz. In Banjo's presentation, they revealed Sans.. a highly popular request as a Mii Costume. Just recently a video leak got released. A leak that claimed a Mallow and a Cacedemon costume will be in the game. A day before the video presentation is officially revealed where Nintendo confirmed that there is no character reveals

I¨m sorry, but as much as I hate it like everyone else, the confirmation of no character reveals, the video leak and the fact that its 45 min long make that leak rather possible. It could be Sakurai's way to include as many franchisees as possible.
Its not just that they posted it hours after the video. They couldn’t even get the presentation date right. (Said 11/20)

Why you are all giving this the time of day is honestly beyond me, usually stuff like that kills a “leak” immediately

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Goddamn guys. I just got here from work and MORE stuff is happening?!

Jeez. A direct this soon. Seems like the moment of Truth is upon us. Time to see what will happen next.

My top two picks are so close for a reveal it's insane. I know that we have to careful but man, all of this happening at once has made me hype about Smash ever since Ridley's reveal.

Hopefully it all turns out for the better.

But 5am? Oooof. That is rough, I'll rather watch after waking up since I have work in the afternoon and would rather see the presentation during my break at work at the latest, so it's fine I guess.

Crossing my fingers either way.

:bowser:.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Oh, it came out after the mii costumes were shown? Then why is it getting that much attention? I thought it was getting that much attention because the mii costumes shown were seemingly confirming it.
This was posted on /v/ this morning hours after the video leak came out. I was in the thread live myself while it was active

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So now we are thinking "OK Sakurai has an arcade stick by him, That might explain why its 45 minutes"....Someone care to elaborate? You can get by that in less than 5 minutes. "Back in the day, SNK implemented the arcade stick in their fighting games. The stick moves the fighter. These buttons are A B C and D These buttons represent (insert inputs here). We did our best to stay true to source material." That is not it gang.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Because people in this thread, no offense to you all, are kind of dumb. They'll actually seriously consider and share 4chan leaks that have little to no credibility to then freak out over it, because being patient and waiting is very hard.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There's still a massive gap between confirming someone like Sans as a Mii costume, and confirming Sora alongside 4 other highly requested and even downright massive gaming icons as costumes in the same go. This is some of the worst fear mongering I've seen over a Smash related presentation in a while TBH. Like, they could easily still reveal one costume of a highly requested character, but just saying this leak out loud points to multiple absurdities and also indicates Sakurai has just decided to go absolutely ballistic on Mii costumes in addition to actively trying to piss fans off at that point. It's just not believable unless Sakurai has finally had it with our **** and wants to make us suffer lol.
I get what you are saying and I hope your right... But with what I said previously, on top of him talking about how he wants to include as many worlds as possible (I could see him feel that Mii Costume could help him with that), I, unfortunately, would give this leak a 50/50 no matter how much it would suck

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Idk if it necessarily is tho. Geno is a third party character who debuted in a first-party game. Mario is already in Smash, why are we reaching? Who is the "main character" of Mario RPG who's currently under Square's ownership?
Geno is a third party character. Sheik is a first party character. These are both from legal standpoints. They are as such very different entities.

D

Deleted member

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/484080882/#q484080882

Here's the original thread, posted today after the video leak, claiming a Smash Direct on the 20th (of October lol?).

There ya go. Fake. Close the doors, y'all.
finally, a time that isn't European. That's what I've been wanting ALL DAY.

8:35 in the morning, EST. Approximately 7 hours after the costume videos.

Might as well believe every text leak if you believe this one.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
So now we are thinking "OK Sakurai has an arcade stick by him, That might explain why its 45 minutes"....Someone care to elaborate? You can get by that in less than 5 minutes. "Back in the day, SNK implemented the arcade stick in their fighting games. The stick moves the fighter. These buttons are A B C and D These buttons represent (insert inputs here). We did our best to stay true to source material." That is not it gang.
the theory is that its a peripheral and that would necessitate explaining, but as has been pointed out by myself, its just an snk stick

Gold Lannister

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking Geno will be a Mii outfit along with Mallow and other SNK, Doom and Mario RPG characters. For apparently we will not have a new fighter, and Nintendo does not usually play.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
With all the hype, maybe I'm a bit late for asking, but still intrigues me: what's the big deal with Doomguy?

I mean, before the game launch barely anybody speculate him as far as my memory goes, and now everyone loves him and wants his inclusion? O.o Is there anything I missed about him?

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
With all the hype, maybe I'm a bit late for asking, but still intrigues me: what's the big deal with Doomguy?

I mean, before the game launch barely anybody speculate him as far as my memory goes, and now everyone loves him and wants his inclusion? O.o Is there anything I missed about him?
Nintendo loves Doom now and Doom is one of the most influential games of all time.

Geno is a third party character. Sheik is a first-party character. These are both from legal standpoints. They are as such very different entities.
You're right in this regard, but a third-party character debuting in a first-party game leaves the argument on edge. Of course he wasn't the primary character in his debut the same way Sheik wasn't the primary in hers. It renders the side character argument moot in itself.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm actually hoping we get the team mechanic now. Fighters 75 and 76 will come eventually and Geno is just as likely as he was before. Only difference is they're announced later and we get more than we expected from challenger pack 4. Tbh, Terry is a very underwhelming addition to me, but Terry, Mai, and Athena? Sign me up. This might be a blessing in disguise.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
But if you are a Geno supporter, wouldn’t you want them to skip over Mii costumes entirely?

If they show Mallow with no Geno in sight, that would be a major hint and screw up of high calibur (Same thing with the Cacodemon outfit, though that would be way more egregious).
And I don’t think Nintendo would intentionally do something like that (Castlevania and SNK leaks were by accident and corrected, before anyone mentions those)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nintendo loves Doom now and Doom is one of the most influential games of all time.

You're right in this regard, but a third-party character debuting in a first-party game leaves the argument on edge. Of course he wasn't the primary character in his debut the same way Sheik wasn't the primary in hers. It renders the side character argument moot in itself.
Don't really get your point here. No matter what game he debuted in, Nintendo would have to take legal steps to use him unlike Sheik.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman

Heck if I know, I was skeptical too, but maybe that's just cause I find any character that isn't Geno a "waste of a geno slot" if that makes any sense.

Once Geno is revealed though, I don't care who comes after, I'm hyped for anybody after that.

(edit: realized I said this like I wasn't hyped for anybody, Banjo and Kazooie had me exploding with hype, and characters like Hero and Joker surprised me with their fun movesets.)

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
But if you are a Geno supporter, wouldn’t you want them to skip over Mii costumes entirely?

If they show Mallow with no Geno in sight, that would be a major hint and screw up of high calibur (Same thing with the Cacodemon outfit, though that would be way more egregious).
And I don’t think Nintendo would intentionally do something like that (Castlevania and SNK leaks were by accident and corrected, before anyone mentions those)
I would still want to see the costumes. We are DEFINITELY getting costumes at this presentation. What I am getting at is, with the other presentations of fighters (Hero and Banjo) we got fighter overview, history of franchise, new mode or upgraded mode and mii costumes. Those were around 20 ish minutes. I imagine Terry is getting the same thing here. History of franchise, overview/mechanics, upgraded mode and mii costumes. Would that be around 45 minutes? Doubtful, but I could be wrong.

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
Don't really get your point here. No matter what game he debuted in, Nintendo would have to take legal steps to use him unlike Sheik.
My point is less about legality and more about principality. A common argument is that because Geno is a side, third-party character that he isn't culturally significant enough to warrant inclusion. My argument is that that isn't something that necessarily works against him. If Square took ownership over Mario after Mario RPG too, this argument wouldn't have to happen, because the main character of a third-party game would also be under Square's control.

You're 100% right in that they're treated differently in the eyes of legality, licensing, and the barriers to inclusion, but that's not my argument. There's a difference between trying to acquire Tails's rights before Sonic's than Geno's rights before Mario's. Being a side character under third party control from a first party game is really funky in that regard, ya know?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I would still want to see the costumes. We are DEFINITELY getting costumes at this presentation. What I am getting at is, with the other presentations of fighters (Hero and Banjo) we got fighter overview, history of franchise, new mode or upgraded mode and mii costumes. Those were around 20 ish minutes. I imagine Terry is getting the same thing here. History of franchise, overview/mechanics, upgraded mode and mii costumes. Would that be around 45 minutes? Doubtful, but I could be wrong.
If that is the case, I really hope they hold off on the Cacodemon one, because that wouldn’t bode well for Doom Slayer if that got shown before a reveal (Which would decrease his chances dramatically imo)

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Eh, if the leak is real I'd be surprised. It certainly got me excited in the beginning but the more I read up on it the less I think the chances are of this being true.

I do not for one second believe that no one would spend a little time figuring out how to make this "leak" work, or at least make it appear like it works. After Rayman, after Grinch, after everything we've already seen, I just can't for the life of me buy this. There are too many people in this fandom that would put insane amount of time and effort in something like this just for their five seconds of fame.

Trust me, I'm still supporting Geno 100% and I'd love for this to be real, but I ain't getting my hopes up yknow.

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
Apparently, any mii hat that doesn't cover the head will have that weird see-through problem where the hair should be, as shown with that Mallow hat in the last page. The Mallow hat in the leak seems to work just fine, however.
hmmm..
I imagine if you wanted to test weather or not your mod would crash the game, you would test the mod on one of the most graphically demanding stage as well, right?
I think the dragon quest stage would be a good example of such a stage.

D

Deleted member

Okay so let's take the "Fight stick" theory into consideration that might leave us with:

15 minutes: For Terry, His music and his Stage.
2-5 minutes: Mii Costumes (depending on if we get another Mii Costume like Sans)
5 minutes: Talking about SNK and it's legacy
5-10 minutes: Talking about the fight stick and him using it in some part for Terry and his moveset

I can't realistically see him talking about a Fight Stick of all things for longer than 5-10 minutes as most people who have ever played a video game knows of Arcades and probably knows about Fighting Sticks it's not some super underground controller it's actually fairly common and known so that would still leave 18-10 minutes after all that is done.

"But what about a new mode?" Well Sakurai stated HRC will be the final mode or pretty much the final mode which might mean something like an online Smashdown mode which I doubt he could talk about for more than 5-10 minutes as well as people have had the chance to play it for almost a year now.

So what's up with those last 18-10 minutes? I can't really think of anything that would be fit for it if Character reveals are off the table which seems to be the case.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If that is the case, I really hope they hold off on the Cacodemon one, because that wouldn’t bode well for Doom Slayer if that got shown before a reveal (Which would decrease his chances dramatically imo)
Oh 100% agree. I really doubt we will see that though. Again, as we stated earlier today, IF the video is real, perhaps these are super early. Only time will tell.

D

Deleted member

My point is less about legality and more about principality. A common argument is that because Geno is a side, third-party character that he isn't culturally significant enough to warrant inclusion. My argument is that that isn't something that necessarily works against him. If Square took ownership over Mario after Mario RPG too, this argument wouldn't have to happen, because the main character of a third-party game would also be under Square's control.

You're 100% right in that they're treated differently in the eyes of legality, licensing, and the barriers to inclusion, but that's not my argument. There's a difference between trying to acquire Tails's rights before Sonic's than Geno's rights before Mario's. Being a side character under third party control from a first party game is really funky in that regard, ya know?
The real question is, who cares about what detractors or even fans think about what makes a character a viable pick for Smash? Geno is currently a sticker trophy hybrid after being my 2nd grade Halloween costume in the previous game and yet here we are, still speculating over his inclusion. I hardly think that "third party side character from exactly one video game 20 years ago" is the most holding him down.

Eh, if the leak is real I'd be surprised. It certainly got me excited in the beginning but the more I read up on it the less I think the chances are of this being true.

I do not for one second believe that no one would spend a little time figuring out how to make this "leak" work, or at least make it appear like it works. After Rayman, after Grinch, after everything we've already seen, I just can't for the life of me buy this. There are too many people in this fandom that would put insane amount of time and effort in something like this just for their five seconds of fame.

Trust me, I'm still supporting Geno 100% and I'd love for this to be real, but I ain't getting my hopes up yknow.
I'll never understand what fooled people about the Rayman leak. The character select screen, the most commonly faked thing in all of Smash speculation, except this time it's animated with sound... I just didn't buy it.

For the record, from what I've gathered today, this isn't "spend a little time figuring out" how to make Mii hats work. This is spend untold amounts of time figuring out how to make Mii hats work in a way that no one else in the modding community has figured out yet, and then keep the secret from them just to troll.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
1572927540568.png

This apparently got taken down. The switch has smash joycons. This could boost the leak credbliate.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Ok, here's something I'm thinking about: the time relative to the claim.
The only reason we assumed there would be more reveals is due to the length of the video (~45 minutes). I understand they could clarify it wouldn't have any more but looking back on the past smash directs...
The only directs we've ever only got one character announced are the presentations (which average at about 20.3 minutes each) and now Terry's is a huge outlier. No other direct exceeding that average has really shown less than one character, with the one exception being, arguably, the 50 Fact Extravaganza, which was 35 minutes long. Again, times don't count for everything:
August was 26 minutes and 5 characters
November was 40 and only 3 characters

Terry being 45 and only one sounds really weird out loud.

I'm not saying that they're damage controlling or lying or we were overhyped but I have no idea what this could mean for Terry's presentation unless they are damage controlling or telling the truth.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom