• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Gotta say, Terry's got it rough. He gets leaked before his announcement, he's the DLC fighter with the most backlash, he gets one-upped by the Banjo release and a Sans Mii costume, and when he releases people will be biting their nails for other announcements.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Don't know if I'd call the worst-case scenario exciting but you do you I guess
I mean if you'd rather have nothing at all that's back on you. I enjoy playing the game, so I'll get some fill playing as him in some fashion.

AbeSoddus

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4523-2453-0333
Don't know if I'd call the worst-case scenario exciting but you do you I guess
Having a great looking Mii costume is better than having nothing at all imo. Lets say Geno isn't playable and the absolute last DLC they release is a Mii costume for Geno, would that really be the worst-case scenario? At least he's playable in some form!
For example I really want a Tekken character but if I can't get that at least bring back the Heihachi costume! Hopefully with Terry's release lol

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
he's the DLC fighter with the most backlash
Where were you when speculation for Hero started like a year before he released?

A majority hated the idea because everyone wanted different SE characters at the time. There were a lot more defenders of Terry at his announcement then there was for Hero. It wasn't till closer to Hero's release when everyone started to warm up to the idea. Terry immediately had positive "are you ok?" memes flying around the second he was announced.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really think Geno is in now. This is pretty clearly real, and I feel like between this and the text leak of mallow and smithy costumes we'd have seen or heard of the Geno costume by now.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
4535567A-A8E0-409C-86D0-BC5D7538EBA2.png

Here’s a supporting comparison pic in case anyone still wants to point out “ItS JuSt A MoD GuYs, AnYonE Can dO iT”

Even if mods do exist, not a single mod like that would look so clean and in resolution.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Personally, I would err on the side of caution when it comes to leaks like this.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
On a slight sidenote, if the leak is to be believed, my hopes that Mallow might appear in Geno's taunts and victory screens went straight through the stratosphere! Morgana and Slime got the exact same treatment with the Mii hat, so I don't think it's a stretch at all to suggest he might follow suit.

And if so, then it's about time we'll see a modern take on the cloud boi too. Mallow gang rise up!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I really think Geno is in now. This is pretty clearly real, and I feel like between this and the text leak of mallow and smithy costumes we'd have seen or heard of the Geno costume by now.
Agreed. I feel like someone would really have to hate Geno to mislead everyone this badly. Which is of course possible, but unlikely. I feel like if the Geno costume was coming we’d certainly know about it at the same time as the Mallow/Smithy ones

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Personally, I would err on the side of caution when it comes to leaks like this.

I would wait till he does something other than a cube. If someone can do something on a similar level to what we see on the leak, then it will cast more doubt.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I was too busy following Pokemon leaks I guess, is there good news or bad news regarding our Star Boi?
Pictures and video footage of the rumored mallow costume and another for a doom enemy. Several people in the modding community have come out to say that nothing it shows is currently possible with how far along ultimate hacking knowledge and tools currently allow. The insiders largely agree.

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
View attachment 244972

Here’s a supporting comparison pic in case anyone still wants to point out “ItS JuSt A MoD GuYs, AnYonE Can dO iT”

Even if mods do exist, not a single mod like that would look so clean and in resolution.
Might just be me, but the leaked one looks an awful lot like the kind of slight reimagined design Sakurai and team would come up for Mallow while the Smash 4 mod looks like the modder just tried to stay as faithful to his SMRPG render with no deviations. Not to knock at the fans trying to make 3D models to mod into Smash, but I'm yet to see one that matches the quality of the real thing

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Pictures and video footage of the rumored mallow costume and another for a doom enemy. Several people in the modding community have come out to say that nothing it shows is currently possible with how far along ultimate hacking knowledge and tools currently allow.
...OH BOY. WELP. GUESS IT'S TIME TO WAIT IMPATIENTLY FOR THE NEXT UPDATE.

I've been burned by picture/fake video leaks too many times in the past, so I'm gonna wait this one out.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

Few things

1. Replacing the head with a simple cube isn't the same as attaching a detailed head piece to a Mii
2. Leak has access to debug mode, which is something that helps the leak's credibility

Unless both of these things are proven to be re-created by modders, I'm sticking with the video being legit

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Later. I will be genuinely surprised if these come with Terry. All signs right now point to some kind of debug/Beta test, especially with certain choices made like the stage. Unfortunately, we don't have information on when this was recorded but, like the Ken leak, my guess is it came from a beta tester that hasn't worked for Nintendo for like a month or two so it would be a lot harder to narrow down who leaked it.
Good to see youre shooting down the idea of them coming with Terry. I bet miis are made well in advance, evidenced by the mii list from July.
I haven't seen this talked about yet and someone needs too. If geno actually makes it in spirit deconfirmation is 100% dead baby!

Let the new age of speculation begin! :laugh:
Rayman gang rise up

vivala

Smash Journeyman

I don't think that means much. The issue isn't that importing models for mii costumes is impossible, but that you can't compress a high quality model down to the file size the game is looking for. A cube with 2 textures is very different from a complicated Mallow hat.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
...OH BOY. WELP. GUESS IT'S TIME TO WAIT IMPATIENTLY FOR THE NEXT UPDATE.

I've been burned by picture/fake video leaks too many times in the past, so I'm gonna wait this one out.
I'd at least take a look at it, it's a spectacle to see if nothing else

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I don't think that means much. The issue isn't that importing models for mii costumes is impossible, but that you can't compress a high quality model down to the file size the game is looking for. A cube with 2 textures is very different from a complicated Mallow hat.
I am pretty surprised how quickly they cracked it in response to the leak. But I am still going to err on the side of the caution this time around. Don't want to be Grinch'd again (just in case).

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I'm sorry, boys and girls, no matter how you slice this recent leak, when you consider EVERYTHING we've seen and heard in the last 8 months, you've gotta admit. GENO's chances have never looked this damn good.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Worth noting that Duster doesn't doubt the leak.

D

Deleted member

I am pretty surprised how quickly they cracked it in response to the leak. But I am still going to err on the side of the caution this time around. Don't want to be Grinch'd again (just in case).
yeah it's crazy how fast he was able to fire up Blender and texture 2 of the default cube's 6 faces.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

It's par the course really. These types of jokes always pop up after a leak.
-opps didn't see the curse words sorry lol-
-insert anyone can make a fake leak image here-

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm sorry, boys and girls, no matter how you slice this recent leak, when you consider EVERYTHING we've seen and heard in the last 8 months, you've gotta admit. GENO's chances have never looked this damn good.
Can't get better than 100%

D

Deleted member

Guess we’ll have to see if he can make a mod clean as those costumes based off his comments. Probably won’t be surprised if he debunks the leak.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Eh, I checked it out. I'm not 100% on it. I think both Geno and Doom Guy have great shots, but I'll wait for a confirmation first. If it's real, cool. If it's fake, oh well they both still have chances.

Just don't want to get burned again.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Something i havent seen anyone talk about is the character icons at the bottom wearing the hats. Would those be difficult to make?

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Guess we’ll have to see if he can make a mod clean as those costumes based off his comments. Probably won’t be surprised if he debunks the leak.
Bear in mind that it isn't just the costumes that needs to be addressed. There is also nature of the stopped timer, Ken despawning, and the Mii renames to consider, which suggest that the footage was taken from a debug mode.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I'd personally put geno at around 130-140%

because I think there's also a chance he could show up earlier than expected and end up in the pass.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Good point, but I think it's a bit different with regards to Geno's costume. If Geno's costume and the Mallow hat were ready around July, why wouldn't they just release them both during Hero's presentation alongside the other SquareEnix costumes? They're all owned by the same company, so it would make sense, but they weren't. Not only that, but every single leak/credible rumor we've had that had to do with SMRPG stuff has consistently left out any mention of Geno or his costume. Geno's costume is (no pun intended) old hat, it's nothing new, so why the hell has old costume not been discovered by now when, realistically speaking, we should've heard about it by now?
PapaGeno's source listed Mallow/Smithy, no Geno.
This leaked video has Mallow Hat, no Geno.
Like, am I supposed to believe that all of these insiders/leakers are all trying to hide the Geno costume in tandem? Am I to assume every one of these insiders/leakers are doing the same troll at the same damn time? Chrom or Shadow being absent in promotional material is one thing, but this? This goes way beyond mere coincidence, if you ask me.
A good chance on why the Geno & Mallow Mii Costume weren't released around July with Hero is probably because they were still work in progess. With this video we see with Mallow & Cacodemon I think it's safe to say that they were beta testing them, to see if they're working properly before release. They probably weren't ready to be release with Hero.
Also let's take into consideration that the only time we got a Mii Costume Leak was from that one guy who contacted PapaGenos (There might be more Mii Costume leaks from other people, but I can't remember any mention about that as of now), we know that guy use to be a troll. I always went with the possibility that this one guy purposely left out Geno when he gave the list to PapaGenos and everyone else into think Geno is coming. From what I can remember most insider/leakers weren't able to verify if what he was saying was true or not when it came to the Mii Costumes, but they were able to tell that his Crash claims were false. So from what I can tell we only have this one guy who had the information and it doesn't seem like other insiders can't get access to that info with their sources. So it's not that all these leakers are hiding Geno's Mii Costume, it's more like a lot don't know what costumes are going to happen and this one use-to-be-troll insider came out with the only list and just excluded Geno for troll factor.

I can be wrong on this, but I don't see much insiders coming out saying what their source told them about Mii Costumes, only this one guy who gave it to PapaGenos.

Becuase that would mean that Nintendo took the time to go out to Bethesda, an american company, to negotiate DLC content for Smash, and either Nintendo or Bethesda decided that all they wanted/were willing to provide, was a Doomguy Costume and a Cacodemon Hat.
With regards to Nintendo, why would you go out of your way to negotiate with a foreign company and NOT want to get a playable character out of them? Sure, they've done that with Wayforward and Ubisoft, but that was only for spirits, which was probably all they could include at the time. Recall that Sakurai has stated that he mostly never deviates from the project plan when he's finished it.

So when time came to negotiate with Ubisoft or Wayforward, they couldn't get their characters in as fighters, but they could as spirits since they're just PNGs with stats attached to them, which makes them easier to include, project plan be damned. But a DLC Mii Fighter costume? Unless that company is really easy to negotiate with, ie. a Japanese company like Konami, there's no way they'd do that all for just a simple costume. It would be like them going to Microsoft for just a Banjo or Minecraft costume, and they sure as hell didn't do that with Banjo.

And with regards to Bethesda? There are plenty of companies literally throwing themselves at the opprotunity to have their characters represented in Smash, it's one of if not the biggest celebration of video games in history, anyone who's anyone is in this game. You're telling me that Nintendo came to Bethesda to use their characters, and Bethesda for some reason DIDN'T want to push for getting one of their flagship character in Smash as a fighter? They only wanted some Mii Fighter costumes? If you went to Wayforward, Yacht Club Games, Nicalis, IntiCreates, Playtonic, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Sony, or even Disney, and offered to put one of their characters into Smash as a fighter, they wouldn't hesitate to make that happen. and the same would go for Bethesda.
I agree just about any company would jump at the chance of getting their character into Smash Bros (except for Activision with Crash, I can see them trying to get as much money out of it as possible since they're really greedy). However, it takes two to tango. I'm sure Bethesda would be willing to let Doomguy into Smash Bros, but the question is whether Sakurai wants him or not. Try all you want but if Sakurai doesn't have interest making them playable then that character won't happen (we learn that when it came to how Sakurai would drop Pac-Man if Namco gave him Ghostly Adventure version of him). So it really depends on what Sakurai wants to do. If Sakurai only had interest in having Doomguy in as a Mii Costume (cause he believes that Mii Costumes are view in extreme positive light within the userbase) then there's really not much Bethesda could do to change his mind.

I will state that this is pure speculation since I don't have access on what Sakurai is planning, but potentially Sakurai could just have gone after a Mii Costume to make fans of Doom happy while he focus on other characters that he wants to make instead. Or maybe Sakurai is interested in getting the father of FPS represented in Smash Bros. It could go either way.

And sure, Sans got in only as a Mii Fighter, and... yeah I'll admit I have no idea what went on behind the scenes there.
Perhaps they had already decided on a bunch of other characters and couldn't fit Sans into Smash as a fighter.
Or maybe Toby specifically wanted Sans as a Mii Fighter costume because of how in-character it would be for Sans to just take someone else's moveset rather than coming up with his own.
Or maybe these negotiations were done before they decided to make more DLC fighters post-Fighters Pass.
Or maybe Sakurai had no interest in Sans as a fighter and was just doing Toby a solid.
Or maybe Toby didn't care how Sans got into Smash and was happy with whatever?
Again, I have no idea, but in most instances companies would be entirely fine with providing their characters as fighters for Smash, so why would Bethesda be any different?
When it comes to Sans I honestly for the life of me can't figure out how they can make a moveset for him and I'm sure Toby might agree to that as well. Like, looking at the Sans fight he does a lot of impossible things, it's like trying to fight an obstacle instead of a character. Trying to replicate that could be extremely hard, so I think that Sakurai & Toby both agree that Mii Costume would've been the best route to make Sans playable. It might be possible but it does feel like they would have to take a bunch of creative liberty like they did with Fox & Captain Falcon (man, if they weren't in Smash Bros to begin with how would anyone think of a movest for those two?)

We also didn't hear about the Sans costume at all, but the list still got 4/7 costumes correct, with the Mallow hat bumping that up to 5/7, so... yeah.
If anything it most likely mean that Smithy is coming in as a Mii Costume.

He did show Terry, he was just using the hatless alt. :ultpacman:
Exactly. All the other Mii Fighters had hats except for Terry, poor guy.

Also look, I know I'm extremely pessimistic but I do try to look at many possible scenarios that could happen. I would love to be wrong and I would hate to be right about this. But if Smash Bros Ultimate has taught me anything is that almost anything can happen, so I rather be skeptical about what could possibly happen.

Oaterinos

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5149 9306 1606
Fellas fellas, if this all comes to fruition, may I present this:

*ahem*

GENO AMIIBO

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Gamexplain's logic

"everything looks good but it's too convienent so it's fake" rofl they said esrb is fake and that smash tower junk from 4 was real. Their condemnation is one of the most convincing things I've seen yet lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom