• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I’m really sorry I got so upset. I havent been doing great personally and ive been kinda irritable but thats not a good excuse. Im sorry if I upset anyone here, I like you guys.
Anyways Geno is cool. :)

Does anyone play project M regularly? I want to but my wii’s kinda broke lol. What’d you guys think of the Geno mod? I thought it was pretty fun but hard to get the hang of.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Aye, I come back to post frequently for the first time in what feels like forever and I get a warning. Really sends the message.

I supposed I understand why, but honestly I'm sick of the tone of the thread and I'm sick of the conversations we are having.

The leader of our movement would love nothing better than to put Sora's head on a pike and show it off to intimidate other fans, the entire thread keeps regressing in arguments and wasting time talking to certain members who offer nothing to the topic, and now this has extended to the point where we are debating whether spirits deconfirm...again...for the billionth time...when all these new characters are POST-FIGHTERS PASS! Meanwhile we have to tip-toe around making sure we don't say the wrong things while people hop in from other parts of the internet just to **** on us because of the character we want.

I'm not about this ever-inclining highroad that loops around with conversations that have already been had that is leading to nothing new or interesting under the sun. I'll think about returning when something actually interesting happens.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, since the spirit thing came up again, keep in mind that Sakurai brought up the DLC pass selling well and additional DLC being decided around the time they filmed everything for both Hero and B-K, presumably around late July (as that was when Hero's presentation was shown). My guess is copyright stuff probably happened near the beginning of the year for it to have all wrapped up by now, and whatever the case may be, it seems clear that it was after the game's release and after the pass sold in droves. That would mean spirits most likely are not disconfirmed for any future DLC past challenger pack 5. That also directly contradicts what Brew was saying about hearing about 10 DLC characters. Given the 10 extra WoL slots, it's making me start to wonder if his wires were crossed there. I'll trust what we've seen from what Sakurai has told us over a 'leaker'.

Also, in terms of Geno's name floating around back then, well... we already know through Verge and Sabi's old NoA source that his name was floating around as early as November of last year, but it seemed to only be water cooler rumors or direct statements that he is not the SE rep in the Fighter's Pass (as that was Hero). I wouldn't take that too seriously. The fact that more DLC has been decided with the possibility of his name going around now, however (if those two sources, both Brew and Papa's, are to be believed), is something I'd more keep an eye out for.

GENO *********
HAH, GOTEM
The jeans of *********?

Oh, dear...

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
If we're going off of Brew leak who was saying the Sakurai and his team already planned out 10 fighters back in 2018 then the Spirit argument has relevance. If they knew there were going to make more than the first five initial fighters they announce and already know who they were going to use then they wouldn't have turn those characters into Spirits. If what Brew says isn't true and the next wave of DLC was decided in 2019 then yeah the Spirit Argument holds no relevance.
No... that’s not how it works. Spirits were likely finalized well before the game released.

Geno could’ve reasonably been considered a fighter as early as November or even October 2018. Yes, when the Grinch leak got deconfirmed.

Even then, he could’ve also been greenlit in December due to the high sales of the Fighter’s Pass.

This is important. Beforehand, they may have been gauging gradual interest in him by the sidelines, ready to put his Mii Costume in Hero’s pack if they were disappointed.

Games go gold a while before they are released, you know.

I’m not saying he couldn’t just become a Mii Costume in the future, i’m moreso arguing that believing the Brew leak shouldn’t mean you are hardlocked to spirits deconfirm because even if you believe that spirits do in fact, deconfirm, there could have been a reasonable timeframe for Sakurai to be iffy on Geno’s inclusion and putting his Spirit in just in case the interest for him was not profound enough.

Tl dr; geno couldve been put in as a spirit but reconsidered for dlc 2 in the late months of the year 2018

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So remember when I made that offhanded Amaterasu reference the other day?
I was just using it as a hypothetical, but if they were able to finally get a true Kamiya-directed sequel in motion after all this time, maybe there was some catalyst for it behind the scenes. It’s funny that it’s happening around the same time as DLC pack 2 has been chosen, too. This is just conspiracy theory talk, though. Still, I hope something like this happens to Geno if he makes it to Smash too, as I’m sure we all feel.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
A sequel to SMRPG would be the biggest bombshell of all time. Or a remake, even. Glad to see Okami is coming back. I loved the first game so much.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
kamiya made okami?

you learn something new every day. the man's got a temper of an anger management guy but damn does he make good games.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
kamiya made okami?

you learn something new every day. the man's got a temper of an anger management guy but damn does he make good games.
Well, of course, he is a master of blocking things.

That includes blocking the very possibility of a poor quality game. Nothing is free from sin.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Things got of hand here quickly. I don't want to call specific people out, but I'd appreciate people stop crapping on other characters (Sora as the most recent example) in a gatekeeping sort of way, as well as some constantly making passive-aggressive comments about the DLC and roster picks so far. The people in this thread know the people who keep acting like this. Some people need to take Smash less personally, these are all fictional characters at the end of the day. And don't say "oh they feel real" or "I have emotional attachment to this character" or anything like that, as if that is any reasonable justification for toxic behavior. Just stop taking roster picks and desires so personally. It is really draining. It's a flippin' video game.

Again, I'm not a Geno fan and came in here to show my support since I genuinely believe Geno (and Ryu Hayabusa) is the most likely chatacter to be added. I wanted to see passion about GENO (since, again, he is a character I have no attachment to and I think it is cool to see so much passion), I didn't come for gatekeeping and being personally offended over a plant. I think I speak for most of this thread when I say that I'd prefer if the conversation got back to Geno (not saying you shouldn't ever go off topic, but lately some people have just been toxic).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Things got of hand here quickly. I don't want to call specific people out, but I'd appreciate people stop crapping on other characters (Sora in this case) in a gatekeeping sort of way, as well as some constantly making passive-aggressive comments about the DLC and roster picks so far. Some people need to take Smash less personally, these are all fictional characters at the end of the day. And don't say "oh they feel real" or anything like that. Just stop taking roster picks and desires so personally. It is really draining.
who the **** is gonna say "they feel real"

that's more something a creep would say about a girl in a dating sim

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, about what Brew said regarding 10 additional fighters...

Didn't Banjo & Kazooie come with an extra empty slot in the code or something? I remember people saying it seemed like they didn't take up a slot.

And either way, it's possible they just put 10 character slots in the code in case they decided on more DLC (to see if they'd make a big profit based on how much the pass sold), and since it started selling very well not too long after it was released, they went ahead and started making plans and negotiations for whoever they wanted, probably earlier this year. Even if it was late last year, it'd definitely have been after the base-game Spirits were negotiated for and finished, especially with what I said before with how Way Forward was regarding Smash stuff before the game's release.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Didn't Banjo & Kazooie come with an extra empty slot in the code or something? I remember people saying it seemed like they didn't take up a slot.
I mean, 10 slots was a given considering the WoL menu having them or something.

But I believe you meant the 3 extra voice slots in the sound thingy, which implied one of them had 2 alternate voicelines, something along the lines of Byleth or another genderswappable character like Robin or Corrin.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean, 10 slots was a given considering the WoL menu having them or something.

But I believe you meant the 3 extra voice slots in the sound thingy, which implied one of them had 2 alternate voicelines, something along the lines of Byleth or another genderswappable character like Robin or Corrin.
I think it was dataminers finding WoL character slots in the code.

Yes, and even Hero too in the files for the World of Light's CSS.
Thanks for telling me. I thought I remembered Hero, too, but wasn't sure since he came before B-K.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think it was dataminers finding WoL character slots in the code.

Thanks for telling me. I thought I remembered Hero, too, but wasn't sure since he came before B-K.
Well there was the voice room, too, but that only had 3.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
So remember when I made that offhanded Amaterasu reference the other day?
I was just using it as a hypothetical, but if they were able to finally get a true Kamiya-directed sequel in motion after all this time, maybe there was some catalyst for it behind the scenes. It’s funny that it’s happening around the same time as DLC pack 2 has been chosen, too. This is just conspiracy theory talk, though. Still, I hope something like this happens to Geno if he makes it to Smash too, as I’m sure we all feel.
Oh wow theyre making another amaterasu? Ive never played it but thats really cool. She may become a prime contender for the next capcom rep then.

And either way, it's possible they just put 10 character slots in the code in case they decided on more DLC (to see if they'd make a big profit based on how much the pass sold), and since it started selling very well not too long after it was released, they went ahead and started making plans and negotiations for whoever they wanted, probably earlier this year. Even if it was late last year, it'd definitely have been after the base-game Spirits were negotiated for and finished, especially with what I said before with how Way Forward was regarding Smash stuff before the game's release.
I believe when Banjo was added, one of the dummy slots in wol wasnt removed. That would be 13 empty slots in? With Terry presumably making it 12 and #5 making it 11. Meaning thered be enough for 2 passes plus 1 character. Not sure though

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I think it's funny how easy it is to come up with Geno's special moves with the glaring exception of his Up B. Reason being is because most Up B's have some element of recovery (ie upward movement) and he never demonstrated any such kind of technique in his own game. The only Up B I could come up with was some kind of rocket punch where he shoots his arm downward similar to Megaman's dair but with the upward blowback of Mii Gunner's Up B. What other ideas have people come up with for his recovery?

As for aerials, I like the idea of his Up air shooting a narrow barrage of finger bullets straight up (think Ivysaur's bullet seed but in the air). As for fair and bair, my head cannon has always imagined Geno having retractable blades in his wrists, This could be used to sexy effect for his normal melee attacks as well as fair and bair. One of the two could be a fast, somewhat weak slash while the other is a slightly slower but much more powerful sweep that could double as a kill move (think Greninja Fair). What do you think?
Thanks for responding! Yeah up B is tough. I like how PM handled it. I could definitely see what you were saying about a Mii gunner kind of recovery. Also, someone else mentioned awhile ago having his buffing move be turned into a recovery somehow could be cool too. I could also see the spirit leave the doll and fly up and the doll appear where the spirit is at the end of the move or when it reaches the ledge. Just throwing out a few options. I'm sure we could come up with plenty more.

As for aerials, I imagine his up aerial the same way. Personally those side aerials sound too much like MegaMan's for my taste. I envision Geno as a small, super flexible and agile character so I could see kicks, elbow strikes, punches, etc be worked into flashy aerial moves. Aside from those, shooting beams, stars, pellets, and rocket fists make sense too. For neutral aerial I really like using the cape to create a circular hitbox as Geno spins like Brawlfan1 suggested in his video but I could see plenty of other flashy moves working as well. Down aerial I can't imagine anything other than basically being the same thing as MegaMan's.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Geno’s Up B is obviously Geno Boost! But repurposed to be an actual jump boost instead of an stat-raising move.

Although, not gonna lie, it would be really interesting if Geno had an Up B that was both a recovery and a stat-booster.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Geno’s Up B is obviously Geno Boost! But repurposed to be an actual jump boost instead of an stat-raising move.

Although, not gonna lie, it would be really interesting if Geno had an Up B that was both a recovery and a stat-booster.
Yeah that would be interesting. I think it would need some kind of skill cap requirement for it to work well though at that point.

Also, not trying to be facetious or rude here as this question comes from a point of ignorance in the sense that I've never played Okami or know much about it, but does it even really have much of a legacy or enough fan demand Smash-wise to get on Nintendo/Sakurai's radar? I know Amaterasu has some really cool moveset potential and I'm definitely not saying I wouldn't want them or that they're not deserving I just don't know if it's realistic or not to expect them over other Capcom reps just because a new game is on the way. There are plenty of franchises that have similar factors going for them that still don't seem all that likely so I guess I'm just not sure why people would be so quick to jump on this wagon before it even has a chance to get going. If we got that art style in Smash I would be elated tho as that's like my favorite art style ever.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Yeah that would be interesting. I think it would need some kind of skill cap requirement for it to work well though at that point.

Also, not trying to be facetious or rude here as this question comes from a point of ignorance in the sense that I've never played Okami or know much about it, but does it even really have much of a legacy or enough fan demand Smash-wise to get on Nintendo/Sakurai's radar? I know Amaterasu has some really cool moveset potential and I'm definitely not saying I wouldn't want them or that they're not deserving I just don't know if it's realistic or not to expect them over other Capcom reps just because a new game is on the way. There are plenty of franchises that have similar factors going for them that still don't seem all that likely so I guess I'm just not sure why people would be so quick to jump on this wagon before it even has a chance to get going. If we got that art style in Smash I would be elated tho as that's like my favorite art style ever.
I think it does have a decent shot. Its been ported way too many times to count and im sure it sells well. Resident is probably still more likely because of just how popular it is and the longer legacy, but I wouldnt be too surprised if Amaterasu made it. She probably has a decent amount of fan demand, ive definitely seen some supporters around before.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I've seen a lot of people put forth their ideas for how Geno would play and what his moveset would be, and I've been wanting to make one of my own for a while now, so here it is. Let me know what you think.
Geno would be an average fighter stat-wise; decent weight, decent jump, decent fall speed. The only thing about him that wouldn't be average is his general movement speed, which would be slightly above average. In terms of size, he'd be somewhere around the ballpark of Mario's height, perhaps a tad bit shorter.

In terms of how he'd fight, Geno would be a sort of zoner type character, with a good number of his moves being long reaching attacks that hit harder the further away you are from your opponent, with the rest of his moves being aimed at forcing opponents away should they get too close. As most have envisioned, his special moves will involve his home game's signature Timed Hits mechanic that will power up his moves if the button is pressed or released at the right time.

-= Standard Attacks =-
Jab - A basic 1-2-3, nothing special. No rapid jab.
Side Tilt - A quick slap with an open palm.
Up Tilt - Geno thrusts his hands up in the air. Think Wario's Up Tilt.
Down Tilt - A low kick, comes out quick. Think Ness' Down Tilt, only it does more damage and can't be used as repeatedly.
Dash Attack - A sideways roll ending in a kick.

-= Aerial Attacks =-
Neutral Aerial - Geno faces towards the screen and spins around in a circle, using his cloak to attack. I'm probably doing a poor job at explaining this one, but just imagine Banjo & Kazooie's Neutral Air, only Geno uses his cape instead of big 'ol wings.
Forward Aerial - Geno punches forward, with his arm detatching for a split second to grant it some good range. There's a sweetspot at the tip of the attack.
Backward Aerial - Geno thrusts his elbow backwards and opens it up, creating a small explosion.
Upward Aerial - An overhead kick. Think Mario's Up Air.
Downward Aerial - Geno shoots both of his hands downward, basically Mega Man's Down Air. And just like that attack, it spikes if you hit the sweetspot.

-= Grab Attacks =-
Grab - Geno quickly extends his arm outwards. His arm detatches in order to give the grab more range. When done in the air, it acts like Samus's Grappling Beam or Young Link's Hookshot and does damage instead.
Pummel - Headbutts.
Forward Throw - A roundhouse kick.
Backward Throw - Geno tosses the opponent behind him and fires small pellets at them. Think Fox's Back Throw.
Upward Throw - Geno tosses the opponent in the air with an uppercut.
Downward Throw - Geno plants the opponent on the ground, points his gun hand at them, and hits them with an explosion to launch them.

-= Smash Attacks =-
Side Smash - Geno rears back, gun arm in hand. When released, he fires a burst of star projectiles in a narrow cone in front of him. Good range, sweetspot at the tip of the attack.
Up Smash - Geno crouches down, fist clenched. When released, he does an uppercut. His arm detatches slightly to give it more vertical range.
Down Smash - Geno faces the screen and rears back with both arms in the air. When released, he brings both his arms down, creating flashing rainbow columns of light, similar to Mega Man's Down Smash. This is how Geno Blast would be incorporated into his moveset. I know Project M or some such Brawl mod made it his Side Special, but it honestly doesn't look right to me.

-= Special Attacks =-
Neutral Special: Geno Beam - Just about every moveset I've ever seen for Geno has this as his Neutral Special, and it's not hard to see why. The move pretty much screams Neutral Special. Geno turns one of his hands into a gun and begins charging energy. Red stars appear above his head to indicate the level of charge. When the button is released, Geno fires a beam of light with great range. The more stars that are above Geno's head when the button is released, the more powerful it will be. If the button is not released at three stars, it will fire a beam with the power of a one star beam. This move can be canceled by jumping, dodging, or shielding. When used in the air, the beam will be fired at 30 degree angle downwards. It can only be fired at a one star power, but the very tip of the beam will have a sweetspot the can spike opponets at that same angle.

Side Special: Geno Whirl - Similar to Geno Beam being his Neutral Special, this move seems universally agreed to be his Side Special. Geno tosses out a disk of light at high speed, dealing good knockback and decent damage. This attack is notorious in his home game for being able to deal 9999 damage on whoever it hits if timed correctly. Being able to do that in Smash would make this move way too broken, regardless of how small the window for it is, so instead the disk would deal more damage if the button is pressed at the exact moment he throws it. This would be signified by a bright flash right when the disk is thrown.

Downward Special: Geno Boost - When activated, a star effect will appear over Geno, followed by several arrows. When the animation is finished, Geno's attack will be boosted for around 10 seconds. If the button is pressed right when the arrow effects is about to end, right before the boost occours, his defenses will also be boosted for around 10 seconds, and he will gain super armor for the duration of the boost. Once the boost wears off, Geno must wait 10 seconds before using it again. When used in the air, Geno's descent will be momentarily stalled during the move's duration.

Upward Special: Geno Shift - A lot of people are at a loss for what Geno's Up Special would be, since none of his moves, or anything in Super Mario RPG really, would appear to fit the bill. Of course, Sakurai and company aren't shy about creating entirely new moves for their characters based on who they are and what they're like: Joker's Up Specials, "Grappling Hook" and "Wings of Rebellion", are pretty much Smash originals, based more on Joker's physical anatomy than anything he regularly does in-game. Project M's potrayal of Geno made his Up Special like a less powerful version of Geno Flash, where he turns himself into a cannon and fires himself upwards. Gonna be honest, I don't really like this all too much. I think if Geno is to have any sort of recovery move, it should be something a bit more integral to the character as a whole. As such, I've come up with what I'm going to call "Geno Shift".

Upon using the move, Geno shoots out of his puppet body in the form of a yellow star for a split second, stopping suddenly once he's at a decent distance above it. Upon stopping, his body rushes back to him and he re-enters it. Once again, this may be a bit hard to visualize from this description, so think of it like this: It's kind of like Zelda or Palutena's Up Special where they teleport a set distance away from where they were, only there are several significant differences.
The first difference is that, unlike these two aformentioned Up Specials, Geno Shift can only move upwards. The angle can be adjusted a bit to the sides if need be, but otherwise it's onward and upward.
The second difference is that Geno doesn't become temporarily invisible during it's use, which may seem like a bit of a downside given the kinds of crazy reads people can make in this game, but I assure you that it's not anywhere near a problem for him, because...
The third difference is how the hitboxes of this move operate. Geno's star form cannot be attacked during the duration of this move, and the puppet body becomes an active hitbox as it's rushing back to Geno's star form, allowing you to recover safely. It's not entirely unpunishable, though. Geno's puppet body doesn't become a hitbox until it starts rushing to Geno's star body, so most attacks can interrupt the move. Kind of like Ness' PK Thunder now that I think about it.

Final Smash: Geno Flash - Geno's most powerful attack. He turns into a cannon that fires a bright red sun with a face a set distance, followed by it slowly expanding, dragging anyone caught in the blast inwards. After a bit, it expands and launches anyone caught up in it, sending them flying. Since it's a Final Smash, there's no Timed Hits mechanic. Overall, this move acts sort of like "Black Hole Bomb" part of Mega Man's Final Smash mixed with Rosalina's Final Smash.

-= Misc. Details =-
Up Taunt - Geno crosses his arms and nods. Based on his victory animation.
Side Taunt - Geno extends his hand outwards, as if trying to tell someone something. He does this quite a bit during the course of the game, such as when he's demanding Bowyer give back the star he has.
Down Taunt - Geno's star pops out of his puppet body and spins around a bit before returning. Upon leaving the puppet, it lifelessly falls to the ground, shortening his hitbox for the duration of the taunt. Geno's star body has no hitbox. This allows Geno to dodge attacks akin to one of Jigglypuff's taunts.
Idle Animation 1 - Geno raises his arms up and stretches.
Idle Animation 2 - Geno looks to his sides.

Victory Music - The victory theme from Super Mario RPG. Much like Cloud's victory fanfare, this music will loop indefinitely just like in the original game.
Victory Pose 1 - Geno steps forward, crosses his arms and nods. Based on his victory animation.
Victory Pose 2 - Geno steps forward a bit and dusts himself off.
Victory Pose 3 - Geno spins around a bit, followed by his star form leaving his puppet body. The puppet body falls lifelessly to the ground, and Geno's star form cheerfully dances around it.

-= Alternate Colors =-
I already posed this earlier, but for convenience sake I'll put it here as well.
GenoColors.png

Alt 1 - Default colors, based on his character art.
Alt 2 - Baby blue alt, resembling his in-game in Super Mario RPG. Brighter blue, brown eyes and more faded orange for his hair.
Alt 3 - Purple alt, based on his poisoned palette. I made his hair a bit more brownish, thought it'd look better.
Alt 4 - Yellow alt, based on the statues in Nimbus Land. I opted for blue accents so it wouldn't look too monotonous.
Alt 5 - White alt, based on Mallow. I'm actually impressed with how well this works.
Alt 6 - Green alt, based on Bowyer. I was originally going to make this a red alt, but I was struggling to think of something/someone significant that was green to base it on.
Alt 7 - Red alt, based on Yaridovich. Not gonna lie, I really like this one.
Alt 8 - Black alt, based on Smithy. Originally, I was going to make an entirely grey alt based on the Machine Made versions of the Smithy Gang leaders, but I thought that would be too boring and opted for this.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Geno's Up-B recovery should be a copy of Sonic's, but with a SMRPG springboard instead.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I've seen a lot of people put forth their ideas for how Geno would play and what his moveset would be, and I've been wanting to make one of my own for a while now, so here it is. Let me know what you think.
Geno would be an average fighter stat-wise; decent weight, decent jump, decent fall speed. The only thing about him that wouldn't be average is his general movement speed, which would be slightly above average. In terms of size, he'd be somewhere around the ballpark of Mario's height, perhaps a tad bit shorter.

In terms of how he'd fight, Geno would be a sort of zoner type character, with a good number of his moves being long reaching attacks that hit harder the further away you are from your opponent, with the rest of his moves being aimed at forcing opponents away should they get too close. As most have envisioned, his special moves will involve his home game's signature Timed Hits mechanic that will power up his moves if the button is pressed or released at the right time.

-= Standard Attacks =-
Jab - A basic 1-2-3, nothing special. No rapid jab.
Side Tilt - A quick slap with an open palm.
Up Tilt - Geno thrusts his hands up in the air. Think Wario's Up Tilt.
Down Tilt - A low kick, comes out quick. Think Ness' Down Tilt, only it does more damage and can't be used as repeatedly.
Dash Attack - A sideways roll ending in a kick.

-= Aerial Attacks =-
Neutral Aerial - Geno faces towards the screen and spins around in a circle, using his cloak to attack. I'm probably doing a poor job at explaining this one, but just imagine Banjo & Kazooie's Neutral Air, only Geno uses his cape instead of big 'ol wings.
Forward Aerial - Geno punches forward, with his arm detatching for a split second to grant it some good range. There's a sweetspot at the tip of the attack.
Backward Aerial - Geno thrusts his elbow backwards and opens it up, creating a small explosion.
Upward Aerial - An overhead kick. Think Mario's Up Air.
Downward Aerial - Geno shoots both of his hands downward, basically Mega Man's Down Air. And just like that attack, it spikes if you hit the sweetspot.

-= Grab Attacks =-
Grab - Geno quickly extends his arm outwards. His arm detatches in order to give the grab more range. When done in the air, it acts like Samus's Grappling Beam or Young Link's Hookshot and does damage instead.
Pummel - Headbutts.
Forward Throw - A roundhouse kick.
Backward Throw - Geno tosses the opponent behind him and fires small pellets at them. Think Fox's Back Throw.
Upward Throw - Geno tosses the opponent in the air with an uppercut.
Downward Throw - Geno plants the opponent on the ground, points his gun hand at them, and hits them with an explosion to launch them.

-= Smash Attacks =-
Side Smash - Geno rears back, gun arm in hand. When released, he fires a burst of star projectiles in a narrow cone in front of him. Good range, sweetspot at the tip of the attack.
Up Smash - Geno crouches down, fist clenched. When released, he does an uppercut. His arm detatches slightly to give it more vertical range.
Down Smash - Geno faces the screen and rears back with both arms in the air. When released, he brings both his arms down, creating flashing rainbow columns of light, similar to Mega Man's Down Smash. This is how Geno Blast would be incorporated into his moveset. I know Project M or some such Brawl mod made it his Side Special, but it honestly doesn't look right to me.

-= Special Attacks =-
Neutral Special: Geno Beam - Just about every moveset I've ever seen for Geno has this as his Neutral Special, and it's not hard to see why. The move pretty much screams Neutral Special. Geno turns one of his hands into a gun and begins charging energy. Red stars appear above his head to indicate the level of charge. When the button is released, Geno fires a beam of light with great range. The more stars that are above Geno's head when the button is released, the more powerful it will be. If the button is not released at three stars, it will fire a beam with the power of a one star beam. This move can be canceled by jumping, dodging, or shielding. When used in the air, the beam will be fired at 30 degree angle downwards. It can only be fired at a one star power, but the very tip of the beam will have a sweetspot the can spike opponets at that same angle.

Side Special: Geno Whirl - Similar to Geno Beam being his Neutral Special, this move seems universally agreed to be his Side Special. Geno tosses out a disk of light at high speed, dealing good knockback and decent damage. This attack is notorious in his home game for being able to deal 9999 damage on whoever it hits if timed correctly. Being able to do that in Smash would make this move way too broken, regardless of how small the window for it is, so instead the disk would deal more damage if the button is pressed at the exact moment he throws it. This would be signified by a bright flash right when the disk is thrown.

Downward Special: Geno Boost - When activated, a star effect will appear over Geno, followed by several arrows. When the animation is finished, Geno's attack will be boosted for around 10 seconds. If the button is pressed right when the arrow effects is about to end, right before the boost occours, his defenses will also be boosted for around 10 seconds, and he will gain super armor for the duration of the boost. Once the boost wears off, Geno must wait 10 seconds before using it again. When used in the air, Geno's descent will be momentarily stalled during the move's duration.

Upward Special: Geno Shift - A lot of people are at a loss for what Geno's Up Special would be, since none of his moves, or anything in Super Mario RPG really, would appear to fit the bill. Of course, Sakurai and company aren't shy about creating entirely new moves for their characters based on who they are and what they're like: Joker's Up Specials, "Grappling Hook" and "Wings of Rebellion", are pretty much Smash originals, based more on Joker's physical anatomy than anything he regularly does in-game. Project M's potrayal of Geno made his Up Special like a less powerful version of Geno Flash, where he turns himself into a cannon and fires himself upwards. Gonna be honest, I don't really like this all too much. I think if Geno is to have any sort of recovery move, it should be something a bit more integral to the character as a whole. As such, I've come up with what I'm going to call "Geno Shift".

Upon using the move, Geno shoots out of his puppet body in the form of a yellow star for a split second, stopping suddenly once he's at a decent distance above it. Upon stopping, his body rushes back to him and he re-enters it. Once again, this may be a bit hard to visualize from this description, so think of it like this: It's kind of like Zelda or Palutena's Up Special where they teleport a set distance away from where they were, only there are several significant differences.
The first difference is that, unlike these two aformentioned Up Specials, Geno Shift can only move upwards. The angle can be adjusted a bit to the sides if need be, but otherwise it's onward and upward.
The second difference is that Geno doesn't become temporarily invisible during it's use, which may seem like a bit of a downside given the kinds of crazy reads people can make in this game, but I assure you that it's not anywhere near a problem for him, because...
The third difference is how the hitboxes of this move operate. Geno's star form cannot be attacked during the duration of this move, and the puppet body becomes an active hitbox as it's rushing back to Geno's star form, allowing you to recover safely. It's not entirely unpunishable, though. Geno's puppet body doesn't become a hitbox until it starts rushing to Geno's star body, so most attacks can interrupt the move. Kind of like Ness' PK Thunder now that I think about it.

Final Smash: Geno Flash - Geno's most powerful attack. He turns into a cannon that fires a bright red sun with a face a set distance, followed by it slowly expanding, dragging anyone caught in the blast inwards. After a bit, it expands and launches anyone caught up in it, sending them flying. Since it's a Final Smash, there's no Timed Hits mechanic. Overall, this move acts sort of like "Black Hole Bomb" part of Mega Man's Final Smash mixed with Rosalina's Final Smash.

-= Misc. Details =-
Up Taunt - Geno crosses his arms and nods. Based on his victory animation.
Side Taunt - Geno extends his hand outwards, as if trying to tell someone something. He does this quite a bit during the course of the game, such as when he's demanding Bowyer give back the star he has.
Down Taunt - Geno's star pops out of his puppet body and spins around a bit before returning. Upon leaving the puppet, it lifelessly falls to the ground, shortening his hitbox for the duration of the taunt. Geno's star body has no hitbox. This allows Geno to dodge attacks akin to one of Jigglypuff's taunts.
Idle Animation 1 - Geno raises his arms up and stretches.
Idle Animation 2 - Geno looks to his sides.

Victory Music - The victory theme from Super Mario RPG. Much like Cloud's victory fanfare, this music will loop indefinitely just like in the original game.
Victory Pose 1 - Geno steps forward, crosses his arms and nods. Based on his victory animation.
Victory Pose 2 - Geno steps forward a bit and dusts himself off.
Victory Pose 3 - Geno spins around a bit, followed by his star form leaving his puppet body. The puppet body falls lifelessly to the ground, and Geno's star form cheerfully dances around it.

-= Alternate Colors =-
I already posed this earlier, but for convenience sake I'll put it here as well.
View attachment 242591
Alt 1 - Default colors, based on his character art.
Alt 2 - Baby blue alt, resembling his in-game in Super Mario RPG. Brighter blue, brown eyes and more faded orange for his hair.
Alt 3 - Purple alt, based on his poisoned palette. I made his hair a bit more brownish, thought it'd look better.
Alt 4 - Yellow alt, based on the statues in Nimbus Land. I opted for blue accents so it wouldn't look too monotonous.
Alt 5 - White alt, based on Mallow. I'm actually impressed with how well this works.
Alt 6 - Green alt, based on Bowyer. I was originally going to make this a red alt, but I was struggling to think of something/someone significant that was green to base it on.
Alt 7 - Red alt, based on Yaridovich. Not gonna lie, I really like this one.
Alt 8 - Black alt, based on Smithy. Originally, I was going to make an entirely grey alt based on the Machine Made versions of the Smithy Gang leaders, but I thought that would be too boring and opted for this.
Some good stuff here. I think a rapid Jab would be easy to make for Geno tho is there a reason you chose to omit one? I really like that back air and that his down Air uses both arms. I also like that we both chose to make Geno Blast Geno's down smash in our movesets as I think that's a good way to incorporate it. Taunts/animations are great. And as I already said I love the alts. Everything here makes sense and feels like things Geno could do which is certainly the mark of a well-made moveset imo. Well done!

D

Deleted member

Like the ideas for Geno's moveset. Based on everything I've heard or seen of the character seems exactly how he'd play in game.

Really awesome!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Some good stuff here. I think a rapid Jab would be easy to make for Geno tho is there a reason you chose to omit one? I really like that back air and that his down Air uses both arms. I also like that we both chose to make Geno Blast Geno's down smash in our movesets as I think that's a good way to incorporate it. Taunts/animations are great. And as I already said I love the alts. Everything here makes sense and feels like things Geno could do which is certainly the mark of a well-made moveset imo. Well done!
Thanks! Honestly, I've not made many movesets for characters, so I was kind of worried that this wouldn't be that good, but I'm glad you like it!
I think a rapid Jab would be easy to make for Geno tho is there a reason you chose to omit one?
Rapid jabs are usually reserved by characters who are naturally fast, either with regards to movement speed or attack speed. Geno is more about burst attacks and massive, concentrated damage rather than quick strikes, so I figured it wouldn't fit.
I really like that back air and that his down Air uses both arms.
Actually, his Back Air only uses one of his elbows, not both.
I also like that we both chose to make Geno Blast Geno's down smash in our movesets as I think that's a good way to incorporate it.
Yeah, totally. I've seen people sometimes try to incorporate it as his Side Special or, more perplexingly, his Up Special, but neither have ever felt right to me. Y'know originally I was going to make Geno Blast his Side Smash a la Palutena's Up Smash, but I couldn't figure out what to do for a Down Smash so... there we go.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Papa Geno's new video is interesting. Appearently, he knows a reliable source that's predicted a bunch of things. Interestingly, amoung things this source has said, he gave a list that predicted Mii Costumes. Goemon, Proto Man, Zero, Mallow, and Smithy. 3 of which have been confirmed. He also is calling Crash Bandicoot as our 5th fighter

Edit: If we are to believe this source, then things are looking extremely good for Geno. Mallow and Smithy Costumes but no Geno. Sounds pretty fishy

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
PapaGenos just put out a new video covering a leak regarding Crash that could also be good signs for Geno. What are everyone's thoughts about it?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
PapaGenos just put out a new video covering a leak regarding Crash that could also be good signs for Geno. What are everyone's thoughts about it?
So some leaker guy who correctly leaked to PapaGenos most of the Mii Fighter costumes that we've seen is claiming that we're going to get a Mallow and Smithy costumes, as well as the returing Chocobo hat, yet he doesn't mention the Geno cosutme coming back? Hmm...
GenoThinking.png

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
For those who have watched the video, was PapaGenos saying that the leaker told him correct information about other Nintendo stuff besides Smash in the past or am I understanding incorrectly?

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Oh my god im getting too hyped help.
I really hope this turns out true. If Crash is #5 the board is probably gonna implode with hype. I trust in Papa. Fingers crossed

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid to be overly confident, but I'm pretty much banking on Geno. Missing Mii Costume, anniversary tweet, SMRPG references showing up like Megaslimlax, Square on board, the additions of big fan favorites in this game, Sabi hearing rumors way way back, Brew hearing rumors, rumors of Mallow and Smithy costumes but no Geno. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but the more this goes on, the more likely he's looking to me

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Thanks! Honestly, I've not made many movesets for characters, so I was kind of worried that this wouldn't be that good, but I'm glad you like it!

Rapid jabs are usually reserved by characters who are naturally fast, either with regards to movement speed or attack speed. Geno is more about burst attacks and massive, concentrated damage rather than quick strikes, so I figured it wouldn't fit.

Actually, his Back Air only uses one of his elbows, not both.

Yeah, totally. I've seen people sometimes try to incorporate it as his Side Special or, more perplexingly, his Up Special, but neither have ever felt right to me. Y'know originally I was going to make Geno Blast his Side Smash a la Palutena's Up Smash, but I couldn't figure out what to do for a Down Smash so... there we go.
I meant to separate those two notions about the Aerials as in I really like the back air. And I like how that down Air uses both arms. Making movesets has been really enjoyable for me. I think I've completed ones for 9 characters now and most have gimmicks that need explaining and some I made more than one moveset.

On another note, holy moly if I get Crash AND Geno I'm not even going to know what to do with myself.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Bit off topic but Crash, Cloud, and Snake fighting in a Nintendo game and not the Sony one would be extremely surreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom