• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I thought that was fairly obvious when I said things like, "This is why I'm so against Terry as a pick for a SNK rep" and "I personally." The statements I'm making on Terry in these last couple of posts are 100% my opinions and interpretations and should be clearly taken as such.
alright I gotta do it, its gone on too long.

"woah bro don't attack me for my opinions I'm speaking for myself"

*attacks people for their opinions constantly*

Sakurai is punishing the Genobro for their incessant civil war.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
big quote
Yeah, this proves my point. You are complaining about Terry being a stereotype when that is one of the reasons everyone loves him.

You are acting like something is a problem when it's not. It's the same for people who think Terry is the worst pick ever because he's another human male, it's warped identity politics judging a character as 'negative' in some form instead of looking at why people love the character.

I DO want politics to stay out of gaming, unless that's the point of the game itself. Every time politics get involved, it ruins games. I have lots of evidence to stupid socio-political garbage ruining games during development and causing controversies that shouldn't even exist.

Detroit Become Human is an example of socio-political in games done right, as that is part of the game. Dogging on developers because their artistic freedom doesn't fit your views and causing fan-funded games to lose that funding because you attack and insult those fans who funded the game?

That's not how you do it.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Giant Post.
Dude, you're taking this **** way too seriously.

You're acting out as if Terry Bogard is the most offensive American stereotype out there, even though I could bring up an even more offensive character, from the same company nonetheless. But the answer is, Sakurai wouldn't care about such a trivial thing when he didn't hesitate including Ken and Guile, and people love those characters in the same way as Terry, because they found something cool about them. Just look at Maximillian Dood, the guy's American and you won't ever see anyone complaining about these stereotypes in his channel, not even about the guy I linked to.

Also, Ken not as blatant as a stereotype? He's a white, blue-eye, blonde guy with a giant company, a pretty boy face and a martial artist. What's not stereotypical about that?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't have much faith in the fighter pass right now. Out of all the characters in the pass they've been about fifty fifty with picking characters the community as a whole really wants to see.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Funny how people come to the defense of Piranha Plant as a character people should appreciate, but Terry and the other SNK Crew though YEESH. Talk about salt.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Boy, just think... We still have another 4-6 months of this... *blank stare and ringing in ears gets even louder*
At a minimum. Not sure if that is a positive or a negative in this circumstance, but hey, it should be said.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Boy, just think... We still have another 4-6 months of this... *blank stare and ringing in ears gets even louder*
Actually, it'd be just 4-5 months, since the DLC ends in February. Granted, the long wait was a price to pay since Hero and Banjo were revealed in the same Direct.

It's only four months before the year ends, and if people could endure the giant four months wait for Joker, I'm sure they can stomach the same time period, if not, less (since Nintendo will probably need to reveal at least the fourth character before 2020) for another Smash announcement.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I can hardly wait for us to have the same argument about assumptions being presented as facts, text walls that would make china blush, and genghis khan accept it as a challenge, hopes going through an absolute rollercoaster of ups and downs. Ain't it grand?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man guys, I don't like Little Mac in Smash. He's such a stereotype of a New York Bronx kid. Like, come on Nintendo, people from the Bronx don't JUST like boxing. Such a dumb idea, I can't believe Sakurai is letting walking stereotypes into Smash Bros. And don't even get me started on Doc Lois!

SMH Nintendo. SMH.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh come now, New Jersey ain't THAT bad. :ultpacman:
I won't escalate this further myself. If it does escalate, let it not be because of me.

However, how about I add some clarity for you guys about Sabi?

1567381947792.png

There you go, guys. It's definitely a KoF character, but those DMs of the character not being female are fake.

If we don't get Terry, I hope we get Nakoruru as I just love her design and think she would be cool for Smash.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Damn it man, not another self inflicted leak by Nintendo. It doesn’t help that I’m completely ignorant to the games so this is of no interest to me as of yet. But so far, the other 3 (especially Banjo) have been cool so I’m chill.

All these damn leaks have been like seeing a cool present under a tree on Xmas, and before you unwrap it, your sibling blurts out « it’s an N64 ». It’s still cool, but damn is it anticlimactic, especially with a direct likely on the horizon.

On a positive note, can those of you excited for and familiar with this leak educate a fellow Genobro on the games and characters? :grin:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Let's talk more about how we're basically just get another fighting games moveset transplanted to another game rather than the dumb stereotype thing. Cause that's what I hate. Can't even speculate about the moveset.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I won't escalate this further myself. If it does escalate, let it not be because of me.

View attachment 236400

There you go, guys. It's definitely a KoF character, but those DMs of the character not being female are fake.

If we don't get Terry, I hope we get Nakoruru as I just love her design and think she would be cool for Smash.
Isn’t Nakoruru from SamSho?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Being sincere, most SNK characters have been in KOF at least once. Now, whether it'd make sense for Terry or Nakoruru to represent that franchise instead of their roots (Fatal Fury and SamSho respectively) is open for debate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The difference between Hero and SNK in terms of why people may or may not be losing hope for Geno is for all the crap we've given Hero and Dragon Quest prior to it's reveal it's actually the DLC character that has given us the biggest thing pointing towards him getting in and that's of course the lack of Geno's Mii costume. That goes a long way and it's pretty much the only thing giving us any semblance of hope nowadays.

SNK on the other hand is a bullet point of things against us:

1) It further proves that Spirits may disconfirm characters as SNK has had no representation in Base game.

2) It shows that Sakurai may be focusing more on companies that have no representation in Smash and that would again be SNK, Geno comes from Square Enix which is an already represented company.

3) The Starling pic may have always been referencing Samsho and Nekoruru, Sure it doesn't point towards KoF but Nekoruru is more well known for being in Samsho if not only appearing in Samsho. Starling = Bird Bird = Nekoruru. The Starling was one of the two things that were giving me hope and it may be null.

So on so forth, Smash almost never ends with a bang either and Geno would be that. Plus the Mii costume may not matter in the end, It may. Nobody knows.

Expect the worst hope for the best as I always say.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 236400

if I may be so bold, I feel like the people sabi is in contact with know both fighters - why doesn't sabi just end this thread outright by saying Geno ain't in the game? Who does that hurt aside from our hearts?

maybe there's some kind of implication I'm not thinking of but when one the fanbase voted "most likely to sperg out" could be killed with one sentence I'd go for it.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Let's talk more about how we're basically just get another fighting games moveset transplanted to another game rather than the dumb stereotype thing. Cause that's what I hate. Can't even speculate about the moveset.
I agree that the stereotype thing even being a problem is dumb, so let's talk about moveset.

First off, EX Moves could be really cool! If they work like Smash Crusade but have a meter it would be crazy to have the ability to enhance a character's B moves! MAX Mode where he could spam enhanced B moves for a period of time would be NUTTY! Also, just because you know what moves he would likely get doesn't mean that he won't look cool and we still don't know exactly how they will work in Smash. There is actually tons to speculate, but it's more about frame data and unique mechanics more so than movesets.

Isn’t Nakoruru from SamSho?
Nakoruru IS originally from SamSho, but she has blended into KoF flawlessly unlike really any other SamSho character. When SamSho tanked and died out for a while, Nakoruru still lived on in KoF. Thus she can represent both roots and be unique and cool AND fit into some of the leaks.

Oh, and be a female, because that's super important too...

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
People try to build up optimism but once that SNK leak oh boy did things come crashing down.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Damn it man, not another self inflicted leak by Nintendo. It doesn’t help that I’m completely ignorant to the games so this is of no interest to me as of yet. But so far, the other 3 (especially Banjo) have been cool so I’m chill.

All these damn leaks have been like seeing a cool present under a tree on Xmas, and before you unwrap it, your sibling blurts out « it’s an N64 ». It’s still cool, but damn is it anticlimactic, especially with a direct likely on the horizon.

On a positive note, can those of you excited for and familiar with this leak educate a fellow Genobro on the games and characters? :grin:
Most certainly, my dood.

SNK is a long running company who had a particularly strong running in the arcades. They have made a TON of fighting games over the years, but are known for plenty of other games as well, with Metal Slug in particular being pretty popular here overseas.

They also had their own console, the Neo Geo, in the 90s, among other less successful attempts. While touching the likes of Nintendo and SEGA was no easy feat, they did pretty well all things considered.

They're no strangers to crossovers either. Most notably with the much beloved Capcom vs. SNK games (Which are AMAZING by the way), as well as Geese Howard showing up in Tekken 7, and Terry showing up in Fighting EX Layer.

They've since become a third party developer, much like SEGA, but they still put out plenty of quality games, most notably Samurai Showdown a few months ago.

King of Fighters (KoF) is pretty much SNK's Street Fighter and seems to be the front runner for a Smash rep. KoF and SF actually use to be bitter rivals, to the point where one of KoF's characters is a full on Parody of Ryu (Unless I'm mis remembering), but it's a long running fighting game series that, while a bit more niche than some other fighters, is still a classic amongst the FGC.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Yeah if it's not geno; sabi is just sort of being cruel at this point
Sabi is having to deal with legal threat from Nintendo at all times, and she’s risking her neck at all times to tell us anything at all. She doesn’t owe us anything, nor has she ever teased that Geno would be coming. People are starting to act entitled again.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
alright I gotta do it, its gone on too long.

"woah bro don't attack me for my opinions I'm speaking for myself"

*attacks people for their opinions constantly*

Sakurai is punishing the Genobro for their incessant civil war.
I had no issue with someone calling me to discuss on my opinion, just the specific assertion that I would ever be speaking for anyone.

Yeah, this proves my point. You are complaining about Terry being a stereotype when that is one of the reasons everyone loves him.

You are acting like something is a problem when it's not. It's the same for people who think Terry is the worst pick ever because he's another human male, it's warped identity politics judging a character as 'negative' in some form instead of looking at why people love the character.

I DO want politics to stay out of gaming, unless that's the point of the game itself. Every time politics get involved, it ruins games. I have lots of evidence to stupid socio-political garbage ruining games during development and causing controversies that shouldn't even exist.

Detroit Become Human is an example of socio-political in games done right, as that is part of the game. Dogging on developers because their artistic freedom doesn't fit your views and causing fan-funded games to lose that funding because you attack and insult those fans who funded the game?

That's not how you do it.
I'm allowed to identify Terry Bogard as a problem if I so choose to and to use that presupposition to then make an argument. Stop rallying against "identity politics" every time someone brings up certain attributes of a character they like or dislike and being surprised at the notion that all people interpret characters the same and might have more issues with certain portrayals or just want to see meaningful representation in their media.

My point is also that "politics (and social circumstances, and economic circumstances, and history, and etc.)" all play a role in the world we live and determine a great deal of our lives, and as I've mentioned before, the media we consume. My point is that you don't really separate products, especially ones designed by massive corporations on a fairly unregulated capitalistic market are extremely entrenched in those issues and the world. The issue isn't that these things "ruin" games. Is a game worse because a LGBTQ+ character got included or another minority group got included? Absolutely not. The issue is that, these massive games made by companies with plentiful resources, don't want to actually hire people to speak and write to those experiences. When your game is made by 100+ people, there's much less of an excuse for not addressing other issues and certainly much less of an "artistic" vision. You have a point when you're talking "indie" developers who have a specific vision and limited resources. But that's actually where most of the meaningful "representation" ends up these days. Big name developer with actual "artistic freedom and credibility" are few and far between. And there are rarely instances where people asking for more meaningful "representation" are wrong to do so when confronting these entities. We're not talking about a single person's labor of love in most instances, we're talking a much greater scale with issues that probably should be addressed (not to mention the disparity between men and women in the video game labor force, which is most usually due to the hostility of those working environments and bro culture for women despite having as much passion for it as their male counterparts).

Dude, you're taking this **** way too seriously.

You're acting out as if Terry Bogard is the most offensive American stereotype out there, even though I could bring up an even more offensive character, from the same company nonetheless. But the answer is, Sakurai wouldn't care about such a trivial thing when he didn't hesitate including Ken and Guile, and people love those characters in the same way as Terry, because they found something cool about them. Just look at Maximillian Dood, the guy's American and you won't ever see anyone complaining about these stereotypes in his channel, not even about the guy I linked to.

Also, Ken not as blatant as a stereotype? He's a white, blue-eye, blonde guy with a giant company, a pretty boy face and a martial artist. What's not stereotypical about that?
I'm not saying he's the most offensive American stereotype out there and not acting like it either. I'm just saying I have issues with him as an option for the way I've seen embody that caricature. I know for the fact that won't affect Sakurai's decision making (none of our comments will in all honesty), but I'm still going to address it from my personal point of view. As for Ken vs. Terry, I don't know enough about Ken in any story or speaking context outside of the Ken reveal trailer to be perfectly honest, and I was speaking to more of Terry's (to me) cringe inducing lines that people seemed to be really supportive of (also, the hat and attire goes a much longer way than Ken who is less blatantly supposed to embody some sort of American ideology).

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
I genuinely believe that if we get Geno, he'll be the final character.
Agreed. Also I don't think he would be in the fighter pass, I think he would be a bonus characters we'd get later because that way he would be both the final character in the roster and the seventh dlc character.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Look, I’m an exceedingly liberal guy, but I have no idea why you’re so upset over Terry. I kind of fail to see why the idea of depicting an American character as a buff blonde badass is an offensive thing, and his iconic Engrish stuff is just due to the voice acting limitations of the arcade era. Terry is a character made with love, not hate, and he’s not exactly depicting a minority anyway, so...?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Sakurai just seems really tone deaf sometimes. I wonder why his mind works at such polar opposites. I'm not like mad; it's just a little tiring and confusing.

D

Deleted member

Sabi is having to deal with legal threat from Nintendo at all times, and she’s risking her neck at all times to tell us anything at all. She doesn’t owe us anything, nor has she ever teased that Geno would be coming. People are starting to act entitled again.
"entitled" is getting up there next to "toxic" and "problematic" to be my least favorite, misused insult of of the 2010s. Can you for even one minute explain how, out of literally tens of thousands of characters in video game-dom, picking exactly one who it is *not* and saying "ok dawg it isn't geno let's put this miserable community in the ground" is "risking" anyone's neck? That's not a leak, it's a mercy kill. It can't implicate leakers, it can't be considered legally damaging. It's just a statement of what not to expect.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
This is so horrible! What's happened to this thread?! We look like imbeciles and we have almost 90 guests! Get it together! This isn't the end of Geno. This is the beginning!

Keep your head held proudly that we've come this far for the star boy! It's a long journey to #5 but I'm certain it won't be in vain. This may not age well but I'll take those blows! I'm proud to support Geno and I'll do it until he's in or I'm dead! So let's get back to speculating on what this could mean in a civilized manner without going insane about it, please.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of ironic that people were super concerned about Nintendo picking the characters and now it shows that at least 3 of the 5 are hardcore Sakurai picks and now people are stressing about that for #5.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
"entitled" is getting up there next to "toxic" and "problematic" to be my least favorite, misused insult of of the 2010s. Can you for even one minute explain how, out of literally tens of thousands of characters in video game-dom, picking exactly one who it is *not* and saying "ok dawg it isn't geno let's put this miserable community in the ground" is "risking" anyone's neck? That's not a leak, it's a mercy kill. It can't implicate leakers, it can't be considered legally damaging. It's just a statement of what not to expect.
It's not even remotely that simple. You have NO idea how carefully these people have to trend in order to keep their skin. The moment they say something so much as slightly incorrectly phrased or too specific is the moment a company can sick their lawyers on em and whoever their source is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakurai just seems really tone deaf sometimes. I wonder why his mind works at such polar opposites. I'm not like mad; it's just a little tiring and confusing.
He gave us Banjo, Ridley and K. Rool all within the same game. Not every character added can be a crowd pleaser, but the fact that he's added any of them at all shows that he isn't deaf to fan outcry.

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Kind of ironic that people were super concerned about Nintendo picking the characters and now it shows that at least 3 of the 5 are hardcore Sakurai picks and now people are stressing about that for #5.
Gets even more so when Geno would totally be in line with a hardcore Sakurai pick.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Man guys, I don't like Little Mac in Smash. He's such a stereotype of a New York Bronx kid. Like, come on Nintendo, people from the Bronx don't JUST like boxing. Such a dumb idea, I can't believe Sakurai is letting walking stereotypes into Smash Bros. And don't even get me started on Doc Lois!

SMH Nintendo. SMH.
I think the most egregious point of issue is how they potrayed OCD in such an offensive light with Mike Tyson. People with OCD can be perfectly functioning members of society, but Mike's tic of having to blink his eyes rapidly is used as a weakness for Mac to exploit. Where does their disregard of afflicted peoples end?! :ultpacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom