• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The goofy voicelines are the main reason I'm hoping for Terry, honestly. I just wanna play as a buff man and yell "HEY, YOU!" and "CRACK SHOO" at people.
Also screaming “ARE YOU OKAY?” and “BUSTA WOLF!” at others would be equally hilarious. :laugh:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Again, guys, I'm telling you: while my hope is currently quite low with us getting to the last character, remember that we have to keep our voices loud. We don't know if future DLC is out of the question or if it's even being planned. There are ways Geno could still come back, even if not in Smash.

I am damn well not going to clam my voice up, and neither should any of you. Make fan projects. Make art. Write. Get as loud as you possibly can. If it takes having to make fan games and fan hacks that Nintendo and Square have to scramble to C&D, then heck, let's make a DAMN great fan game or fan hack. If they won't revive Geno, then we'll keep him alive. If they won't give him the spotlight he deserves, we will, legal dubiousness be damned.
That's the spirit! We're not out of the game yet!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Also, I have NO idea how ANYONE can think an SNK Rep would be boring.

Let me hit you with the fast facts real quick, because there are a number of choices:
  • Terry Bogard, the obvious pick. He is the face of KoF despite what others might say and everyone knows about "Powah Wave!", "Burn Knuckle!" "Crack Shuut!", "Raizing Tackool!", "BUSTA WOOLF!", "POWAH GUYZAH!", "Hey, c'mon c'mon!" and "R U OKAY?!" He is Japan's version of a American stereotype from way back when and it's amazing. He's also a goddamn beast and a badass to boot. Since he has recently made an appearance in Fighting EX Layer, I'm not sure if he will show up, but I wouldn't be surprised. GIMME THAT WILD WOLF ALTERNATE, NINTENDO!
OMG, I JUST realized that Terry would be the best character. Why?

Because taunting "R U OKAY?!" whenever someone SDs is going to be the MOST gratifying thing in the WORLD.

Second most would be doing his hat flip.

Sakurai needs to unban taunts from online JUST for this to be possible.
Is the only thing people have as to why Terry's a good pick that brings something new to the table? Dumb voice lines of an outdated era of gaming? I also personally find issue with him just being a caricature of American stereotypes since that's now really a good way to write or develop most characters, and becomes doubly problematic when Smash has only four characters from Western companies, only one of which from the US.

This is why I'm so against Terry as the choice for a SNK pick. I'll respect SNK to a degree because it deserves, but Terry feels like an absolute relic of a character in so many ways and just doesn't bring anything to the table that looks remotely interesting. Can Sakurai potentially give him great stuff? Sure, Sakurai works wonders quite frequently and can implement gimmicks. But when you watch Terry Bogard in KOF footage, he's about the most unremarkable character I've seen in a fighting game. And again, his voice lines and caricature are very unappealing.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's the spirit! We're not out of the game yet!
Even if we are, though, we have to be prepared for that possibility. I'm telling you guys, we have to make bigger content. I'm ready as **** to mobilize (... after this hurricane goes by lol) and make big stuff. If you know any game devs or people experienced in game development, recommend this to them. Put Geno in mods. Put him in fan games. Do whatever you possibly can.

We have to get louder. LOUDER.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Is the only thing people have as to why Terry's a good pick that brings something new to the table? Dumb voice lines of an outdated era of gaming? I also personally find issue with him just being a caricature of American stereotypes since that's now really a good way to write or develop most characters, and becomes doubly problematic when Smash has only four characters from Western companies, only one of which from the US.

This is why I'm so against Terry as the choice for a SNK pick. I'll respect SNK to a degree because it deserves, but Terry feels like an absolute relic of a character in so many ways and just doesn't bring anything to the table that looks remotely interesting. Can Sakurai potentially give him great stuff? Sure, Sakurai works wonders quite frequently and can implement gimmicks. But when you watch Terry Bogard in KOF footage, he's about the most unremarkable character I've seen in a fighting game. And again, his voice lines and caricature are very unappealing.
Ken and Guile are also charicatures of American stereotypes but you don't see anyone complaining about them. I don't know why use that as an argument against Terry.

EmeraldNate

Smash Rookie
Even if we are, though, we have to be prepared for that possibility. I'm telling you guys, we have to make bigger content. I'm ready as **** to mobilize (... after this hurricane goes by lol) and make big stuff. If you know any game devs or people experienced in game development, recommend this to them. Put Geno in mods. Put him in fan games. Do whatever you possibly can.

We have to get louder. LOUDER.
We really do

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Good thing you are part of the minority.

Literally every other person out there will be excited if Terry makes it to Smash.

OBVIOUSLY an exaggeration, but I hate how your socio-political identity stuff leaks into your choices for characters.

People love Terry for exactly who he is, and if you don't, then move on to #5 speculation my man.

I'll be enjoying making Wario eat "Burn Knuckle"s all day long.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m also uninterested in SNK, but I know others will be excited.

Maybe Terry would be cool, though I’d prefer the bird girl or fire bender based off of what I can tell from what people are saying and stuff.

Apparently the supposed screenshot take according to Sabi.... What the hedgehog is going on https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1168291279035256832?s=19
I have the feeling she’s covering her tracks; she answered someone asking about the stage with “KoF” and the person’s question and another’s “nice” comment are still there while her answer isn’t.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Regarding Terry Bogard, this gem came out back when I was in eighth grade apparently but I never heard of it until one of my friends during Freshman year in high school showed me.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Regarding Terry Bogard, this gem came out back when I was in eighth grade apparently but I never heard of it until one of my friends during Freshman year in high school showed me.
This...this made me smile.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The more we talk about Terry, the more hype I actually get for him. Unlike the slog it was during the days pre-DQ Heroes confirmation, this legitimately has me excited and optimistic for him or Mai.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, now that female SNK characters are back on the table, I do rather like the idea of Nakoruru getting in. Out of all the big SNK reps I have seen, I think she has the best to offer when it comers to a unique moveset.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I have the feeling she’s covering her tracks; she answered someone asking about the stage with “KoF” and the person’s question and another’s “nice” comment are still there while her answer isn’t.
Someone give me some popcorn because this mess is just confusing for every second

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Dropping in again on the latest stuff going on. However, first and foremost, I still hold to my belief that Geno will be coming to Smash Bros. Ultimate, and I'm willing to take the salt when such scenario is proven by Sakurai himself (i.e. the game).

Now, with regards to the SNK rep being most likely a KoF rep, I would like to bring to the attention something I mentioned a few hours earlier on this thread.

Team Japan [Kyo, Benimaru, Goro]: We could get a trio within a single slot; similar to the case of Pokémon Trainer (that has Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), in which players can rotate between the three members of Team Japan. Each character of course has different moves and playstyles, and to switch (or tag out) one would use the Down B. OR, to really add to the feel for the original KoF games, depending on the Stocks for the match, each time your KoF character gets KO'd, another of Team Japan's members comes up. Although in this sense, perhaps the tagging out mechanic would be best left to a Down B command? Dunno.
Now, in regards to each character's traits; Kyo would be balanced, with attacks (Smash attacks, and some Special moves) capable of inflicting burn on enemies. Benimaru would be slightly lighter in weight, however he could be the rushdown type out of the three with some of his moves inflicting shock/stun. Goro would be the tank; capable of taking the most hits. His movement would be rather slow, tho his smash attacks would have the highest launching potential. Grappler type fighting style.

I believe this implementation of Kyo (along with the rest of Team Japan) would be a unique way of representing the KoF series, as well as it would go along fittingly with a potential reveal alluding to the King of Fighters '94 intro , where you select teams rather than individual characters.

With the magnitude of this leak, it would be in Nintendo's best interest to put out the Direct ASAP. :eek:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
>Hero a DQ character and SE rep is confirmed to be a FP character
>People get super hopeful for Geno for SSBU

>An SNK/KoF rep is leaked as an FP character
>People's hopes for Geno go off a cliff

giphy (12).gif

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
People are totally allowed to dislike the concept of an SNK character, but the genre complaints in relation to another fighting game character are just rich. We currently have only two fighting game characters in Smash, and they’re both from the same franchise. Meanwhile, we at the Geno boards are hoping for another RPG character, and not only would he be the third one on the pass, but he would be the 23rd overall RPG character, counting all the Pokémon, FE characters, Ness + Lucas, Cloud Joker, and Hero. We could definitely do for some more iconic fighting game reps.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I guess like with Joker and Hero. I will be the only one that isn't hyped for a fighter pass character.

D

Deleted member

Someone give me some popcorn because this mess is just confusing for every second
the purposeful misinformation is almost as bad as the constant pleading the 5th from these esteemed insiders.

Just as guilty of stringing us along as Sakurai at this point, like it doesn't blow the surprise or cost sources to pick up the megaphone to tell the 20 Geno fans that their puppet isn't getting in so go pour a coffee and cry in a graveyard.

Zav22

Smash Cadet
I don’t remember anything about Nintendo taking down Undertale stuff from him, there was only a fanmade Smash Bros. Megalovania thing they striked last year during the music leak stuff, the same channel losing a fanmade Banjo-Kazooie Smash track and a fanmade SMRPG Smash track while they were in the process of nuking it. But this wasn’t on one of Brawl’s channels.
I don't remember what the other channel was but I do know that Brawls channel was one of them. Also why did they take down most fanmade Smash Bros tracks yet they took down 2 official soundtracks from SMRPG and NOT SquareEnix? That has to mean something considering that they are usually over protective of their
I don’t remember anything about Nintendo taking down Undertale stuff from him, there was only a fanmade Smash Bros. Megalovania thing they striked last year during the music leak stuff, the same channel losing a fanmade Banjo-Kazooie Smash track and a fanmade SMRPG Smash track while they were in the process of nuking it. But this wasn’t on one of Brawl’s channels.
I don't remember what's the other channel was but I do know that Brawls was one of them. Also why did Nintendo take down fanmade Smash Bros tracks from Banjo-Kazooie, Undertale, and SMRPG, yet ONE of those characters ended up getting confirmed for Ultimate and they took down 2 official soundtracks from SMRPG and NOT SquareEnix. That has to mean something since they're usually the ones who are very protective of what they own. That is unless Nintendo bought back the rights to it. We will just have to wait and see.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
>Hero a DQ character and SE rep is confirmed to be a FP character
>People get super hopeful for Geno for SSBU

>An SNK/KoF rep is leaked as an FP character
>People's hopes for Geno go off a cliff

View attachment 236393
What really upped hopes for Geno was the fact that his Mii costume was absent from Hero's showcase.

Now we have an SNK character, completely unrelated to Geno, which supports the idea that all these DLC characters will be from brand-new franchises. And on top of that, there's only one slot left for Geno to possibly make it, and that's hard to expect.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't remember what the other channel was but I do know that Brawls channel was one of them. Also why did they take down most fanmade Smash Bros tracks yet they took down 2 official soundtracks from SMRPG and NOT SquareEnix? That has to mean something considering that they are usually over protective of their

I don't remember what's the other channel was but I do know that Brawls was one of them. Also why did Nintendo take down fanmade Smash Bros tracks from Banjo-Kazooie, Undertale, and SMRPG, yet ONE of those characters ended up getting confirmed for Ultimate and they took down 2 official soundtracks from SMRPG and NOT SquareEnix. That has to mean something since they're usually the ones who are very protective of what they own. That is unless Nintendo bought back the rights to it. We will just have to wait and see.
I suppose, idk.

Honestly, there was a “leak” that mentioned Marco from Metal Slug and Frisk, but it seemed fake, and Marco was supposed to be the 5th character. Would be funny if this was how it turned out, but idk.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Ken and Guile are also charicatures of American stereotypes but you don't see anyone complaining about them. I don't know why use that as an argument against Terry.
You're right. Ken's an issue too and I don't particularly like him for that reason either. But he's just an Echo and comes from the biggest fighting game series in the world next to Smash, so I'm more tolerant of him even though I do think he has issues (he's not as blatant about the relying on the stereotypes as what I've seen of Terry, but I'm also not completely versed in Street Fighter to be fair).

Good thing you are part of the minority.

Literally every other person out there will be excited if Terry makes it to Smash.

OBVIOUSLY an exaggeration, but I hate how your socio-political identity stuff leaks into your choices for characters.

People love Terry for exactly who he is, and if you don't, then move on to #5 speculation my man.

I'll be enjoying making Wario eat "Burn Knuckle"s all day long.
"My socio-political identity stuff"? No. I'm going to stop you right there. You sound like one of those individuals determined to "keep the politics out of my precious video games" when you stay stuff like that. The life we lead and the conditions we're in impact every facet of our experience and how we interpret the things around us. Your lived experiences, which are heavily influenced by the socio-political factors you were born into, determine your reactions and interactions with media, just as mine do me, and so do everyone else. They impact Sakurai when he makes decisions on the game for which character to include, and he's had the awareness about issues with the roster before such as citing the lack of women in Smash 4 as an issue he was working to improve. That's an awareness to an issue of representation and the characters being included in the game that impacts the consumer.

Far too often, we hold on to things and characters of old eras that we shouldn't. Whether or not Terry Bogard fits that particular line of thinking or not is something we can get further into. I think we can do better than caricatures that rely on stereotypes as an industry, and for that matter, we absolutely have made better characters that don't rely on such things. I'm allowed to say that I recognize that as a larger issue as we need to stop relying on stereotypes as a species and work towards better understanding. Stereotyped characters don't help that notion. Art imitates life and life is social and political in nature by absolute definition of participating in a society (the economic, political, and social circumstances define your life almost completely on an individual level, and certainly all of the media you consume). I don't see any reason to have an issue with bringing up those topics and concerns when talking characters.

And you're right, I don't like Terry Bogard the more I find out about him, and again, I can get further into that. The news just broke and we're having conversations about a SNK rep from The King of Fighters based upon Sabi's comments. We're getting through this stuff now so you can be as excited as you want later once you have the character confirmed. And this thread, and several others around the internet, show that quite a few people are not necessarily happy with this decision either. So, yeah, tone down the hyperbole a bit further. It's also that I have never enjoyed characters that spit out dumb phrases in any context and find people's tendencies to endlessly repeat them beyond annoying (hence the fact I utterly despise Spongebob despite him being an American cultural icon at this point) and the Terry you seem to be pushing would just embody the worst of that as well. I'm not arguing about SNK's place, or even Terry's place within KOF, because I know I can't. And I know some people will be indeed be happy to see him in, but I'm also going to voice my opinions on the forum and we're going to let people here do the same. I'm certainly not everyone has to agree with my interpretations of Terry and a potential place in Smash.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
What really upped hopes for Geno was the fact that his Mii costume was absent from Hero's showcase.

Now we have an SNK character, completely unrelated to Geno, which supports the idea that all these DLC characters will be from brand-new franchises. And on top of that, there's only one slot left for Geno to possibly make it, and that's hard to expect.
That would have happened for literally any character that wasn't Geno and wasn't from previous franchise though. And most people were expecting character 4 to be something like Doomguy, Crash, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine, Hamburger Helper Glove, etc. So that's why I don't understand why people are suddenly losing their ****. The Geno costume being absent hasn't changed with this new information either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I suppose, idk.

Honestly, there was a “leak” that mentioned Marco from Metal Slug and Frisk, but it seemed fake, and Marco was supposed to be the 5th character. Would be funny if this was how it turned out, but idk.
I saw that one, and as much as I would like to see a run-n-gun get represented, I think Undertale has gotten more recognition than it deserves, period. There's loads of arguments for why basically every DLC character hasn't deserved their slot, and plenty for why Geno doesn't deserve one either, but Undertale is king of the mountain in "doesn't deserve a slot" land.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
SNK is sick as hell and a rep of theirs is MORE than deserved, I'm excited to see who it is.

My personal hope would be a Metal Slug rep or Athena or Yuri, but it'll probably be Terry, which is A-OK by my standards.

Still, Geno is more and more iffy every day. But keep on hoping!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Speak for yourself, my dude. A little silly goes a long way with some of us.
I thought that was fairly obvious when I said things like, "This is why I'm so against Terry as a pick for a SNK rep" and "I personally." The statements I'm making on Terry in these last couple of posts are 100% my opinions and interpretations and should be clearly taken as such.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I saw that one, and as much as I would like to see a run-n-gun get represented, I think Undertale has gotten more recognition than it deserves, period. There's loads of arguments for why basically every DLC character hasn't deserved their slot, and plenty for why Geno doesn't deserve one either, but Undertale is king of the mountain in "doesn't deserve a slot" land.
Alrighty dude.

Frankly, I don’t care for “deserving” arguments, and all you have to say is you don’t like it.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I thought that was fairly obvious when I said things like, "This is why I'm so against Terry as a pick for a SNK rep" and "I personally." The statements I'm making on Terry in these last couple of posts are 100% my opinions and interpretations and should be clearly taken as such.
Fair point. I still disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom