• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
*looks at Steve's popularity in other places*

It is time.
inb4 that Geno and Steve leak is actually true. I'd take it honestly I think that would be a marvelous DLC line up.

While it's weird to Double dip not once but twice I'd be more than accepting of that line up.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's from the ending of Cowboy Bebop. Spoiler Free, it ends in a way that is rather ambiguous about the main character's fate and the whole series is mostly nothing but sad and depressing moments of realism. Each episode had a one-liner of text at the end, the finale ends with "YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT." referring to likely the emotional experience of the series as a whole.

Watching that video reminded me even more about how awesome Iwata was in most things in his life and how it feels like he was taken for granted by us. Not in a bad way, but in a way where we thought we would have him for a long while longer and because we didn't, we couldn't show him enough appreciation while he was alive.

It just really hit me in the feels and my stomach felt like a boulder.

Hence the quote.
Okay, thanks for explaining.

Sad to say, I don't recall Iwata being to appreciated by the fan base, especially when it come to the perception of the casual market and how he fostered it. Heck, one of the last times the community really interacted with him was the fan response to Nintendo's E3 that year. There is a reason why there is a portion of the "My God, What Have I Done?" page on TV Tropes actually notes that E3 in relation to his death.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
inb4 that Geno and Steve leak is actually true. I'd take it honestly I think that would be a marvelous DLC line up.

While it's weird to Double dip not once but twice I'd be more than accepting of that line up.
Same, there's very few deals I wouldn't be willing to make at this point. I love minecraft but don't care much for steve, honestly more for the smash drama than the actual character at this point probably.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
As far as DLC picks go I’m not as selective since I got Banjo-Kazooie, and I’d be fine with Steve if he was cool and fun to use. But Grotesque Steve has scarred me, man...

Just for kicks, my top 5 for DLC (and base game) have been Elma, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Phoenix Wright, and Dixie Kong. But I’d rather crowd pleasers like Isaac, Waluigi, etc. get in for now since those fan bases have been at it for awhile and deserve something.

But man, if it’s all third party characters, I still have the potential to have 3 out of 5 be my most wanted characters. That’d be incredible for me (but Elma is my most wanted ever so Sakurai if you’re there please help).

I will also not rest until Booster Tower is a music piece in Smash. That s*** slaps.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks for explaining.

Sad to say, I don't recall Iwata being to appreciated by the fan base, especially when it come to the perception of the casual market and how he fostered it. Heck, one of the last times the community really interacted with him was the fan response to Nintendo's E3 that year. There is a reason why there is a portion of the "My God, What Have I Done?" page on TV Tropes actually notes that E3 in relation to his death.
I always loved Iwata, and while knowing about what happened between him and Sakurai about Brawl does upset me, it doesn't tarnish my view of him. The man did so much in his time. I know he got a lot of guff about things shortly before his passing and I never understood it. I just remember being so torn apart about losing him that I was upset about it for the better part of the month and anything Nintendo-related in the following months tended to bring it back up.

I remember the first thing I did when I first started getting past it was making a Mii Fighter of each kind of his official Mii in Sm4sh and just playing him a bunch both offline and on. It was the only thing I could do since I'm not very talented, and I felt like having his likeness in a game I loved to play would be a great honor to him and me having fun rather than being sad was something he would have wanted.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
*looks at Steve's popularity in other places*

It is time.
I'm never ever going to understand why people keep pushing Steve of all characters. I get that Minecraft is popular, but Steve isn't the way to represent Minecraft. Minecraft is a game of exploring and building whatever you want, it's full of freedom. So why do people want Minecraft to be represented by a character that a blank husk that limits the freedom of the series by sticking you with the default design & name? Wherever people get a chance they change out Steve's skin to something else despite it being a First Person View game so it honestly doesn't matter. The Minecraft players don't care about Steve because Steve isn't even a character, it was a joke name. It's original name was just Player. Steve is so much a noncharacter that he's not even represented in Minecraft Dungeon.

I know people are going to throw out Villager being a character so why not Steve, but Villager isn't given a real name Chris or Zoey. It's given the name Villager so it can represent more what the games are like by having different design builds and not being tied down to a canon name. Steve meanwhile does create a disconnection by tying down what this character is suppose to be while not being a character at all.

Also there's the expression & animation problem. People throw out Mr G&W as a way to prove Steve can work in Smash, but one is a 2D Sprite and the other is 3D Square Model. It's like comparing apples to lettuce because there's absolutely nothing in common. If they keep true to how Steve moves then you have a character that doesn't change his face and can use any of his joints like knees or elbows to move around. It would look horrible. Or you having him move like Minecraft Story Mode which also looks horrible.

I'm never going to understand why people are legit serious of getting Steve into Smash Bros and I'm pretty sure if it did happen they're realize it wasn't a smart move to do so.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I'm never ever going to understand why people keep pushing Steve of all characters. I get that Minecraft is popular, but Steve isn't the way to represent Minecraft. Minecraft is a game of exploring and building whatever you want, it's full of freedom. So why do people want Minecraft to be represented by a character that a blank husk that limits the freedom of the series by sticking you with the default design & name? Wherever people get a chance they change out Steve's skin to something else despite it being a First Person View game so it honestly doesn't matter. The Minecraft players don't care about Steve because Steve isn't even a character, it was a joke name. It's original name was just Player. Steve is so much a noncharacter that he's not even represented in Minecraft Dungeon.

I know people are going to throw out Villager being a character so why not Steve, but Villager isn't given a real name Chris or Zoey. It's given the name Villager so it can represent more what the games are like by having different design builds and not being tied down to a canon name. Steve meanwhile does create a disconnection by tying down what this character is suppose to be while not being a character at all.

Also there's the expression & animation problem. People throw out Mr G&W as a way to prove Steve can work in Smash, but one is a 2D Sprite and the other is 3D Square Model. It's like comparing apples to lettuce because there's absolutely nothing in common. If they keep true to how Steve moves then you have a character that doesn't change his face and can use any of his joints like knees or elbows to move around. It would look horrible. Or you having him move like Minecraft Story Mode which also looks horrible.

I'm never going to understand why people are legit serious of getting Steve into Smash Bros and I'm pretty sure if it did happen they're realize it wasn't a smart move to do so.
Idk man, I was in your same shoes about Steve, but I think Steve would be represented fine. If your saying Steve isn't a smart move at the end there, that's kind of wrong. Because I guarantee you, Steve would be the best selling Smash DLC fighter ever, the ultimate cash cow, Nintendo would want that, and Sakurai would be up for making a very creative moveset out of the best selling game of all time. Ultimate as a whole changed my perspective on a lot of characters that could join, I used to laugh off the idea of Steve happening, but now I think Steve will be completely fine, animation wise as well.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Minecraft fans DO care about Steve, as he’s basically the face of the game alongside Alex and the Creeper with some people building statues of him or just including him in their builds. Plus if he wasn’t popular then there wouldn’t be a Steve Smash Bros. moveset video with over 90k likes and only 1.4k dislikes, with other similar videos having little dislikes in comparison to likes. Mojang even acknowledges him and he and Alex are named in the Bedrock Edition/main version. He may not be treated the same way he was when he was even the main character in the 2011 Minecon trailer, but he’s still a big icon and such and people like him whether due to his design, having grown up knowing him as a face for their favorite game, or both. You can even give him a personality based on his surroundings and the silly stuff in the game.

Minecraft is about doing whatever, yes, including building, surviving with various tools and other items, and exploring. Steve can represent the game just fine with a building move, a range of items and tools, maybe a crafting move that gives a buff to some weapons or adds armor if he has resources, and a stage will complete that. And I personally think he would look fine even with stiff limbs, and Steve fans would still be smart because we actually like his art style. If you want expressions, they could change the pixels on his face (or as an example, make his eyes blink the same way mobs’ eyes blink in Minecraft Earth, but could still change pixels to make his eyes widen when hurt) or look at Minecraft Dungeons.

Why would they stay 100% true to the original animations, anyway? I still want the stiff limbs personally, but it’s not like they didn’t also add stuff to Game & Watch, and Steve’s animations already show he can move his limbs in all directions. Of course, again, there’s Minecraft Dungeons. You will actually be able to change your skin in Dungeons, too, so you could use a Steve skin still.

Villager can still be used as a good example, as his game is the only thing defining him as well, and some things Steve detractors say can also be applied to him. Steve is a legitimate choice and I’m tired of seeing some people treat him as nothing more than a meme, doesn’t help that those fake fans on 4chan spammed that deformed render; not that it should matter, as it’s stupid to define a fanbase and what the fanbase is for based on the very small minority if they were even real fans to begin with.

Honestly I’m not surprised people don’t see the popularity of Steve around here, because haters here were already scaring off fans and then there’s jerks like that scumbag that came to the Steve thread a couple of times who’s also a jerk to anyone who disagrees with him in general.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I do find it unfair how people **** on Iwata as a business person. It seemed that people judged him solely on the Wii U, and completely forgot about the DS, 3DS, and Wii, which IIRC he was largely responsible for; he became CEO near the end of the GC days I think? And while some people complained about casualization, eh, I still ended up having plenty of fun gaming with the DS, 3DS, and even Wii and Wii U, and thought there were still some great games from Nintendo between these systems, so the casualization was never an issue to me at all.

Not to say Iwata was perfect as a CEO or didn't have his mistakes, but I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some made him out to be. And of course, business stuff aside, Iwata seemed like a great dude.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Idk man, I was in your same shoes about Steve, but I think Steve would be represented fine. If your saying Steve isn't a smart move at the end there, that's kind of wrong. Because I guarantee you, Steve would be the best selling Smash DLC fighter ever, the ultimate cash cow, Nintendo would want that, and Sakurai would be up for making a very creative moveset out of the best selling game of all time. Ultimate as a whole changed my perspective on a lot of characters that could join, I used to laugh off the idea of Steve happening, but now I think Steve will be completely fine, animation wise as well.
But majority of the people are playing Minecraft are only playing Minecraft because it's cheap and easy to run on a computer. Good majority of those fans aren't interested in other type of games, they just want to play in a sandbox with no real objective. I really doubt that all the Minecraft players are going to buy a game console to they can purchase a fighting game then pay $6 just because a character they don't really care about, especially when a good majority of the are children who have to ask their parents for it. If they don't care for Steve then why would they be interested? People see that 100 million user base and just think that all they have to do is just slap that character into Smash Bros and that it, everyone will line up the door to get it. But honestly that's not the case. You need to look at what exactly the audience like about the game and see how you can implement that into a game like Smash Bros. Look at all the Third Party Characters we got, not only do people like to play those games but they also like the characters associated while them even if they're on a simplistic side. People like Mega Man's, Sonic's, Snake's, and Simon's character so having them be in a crossover roster means you're attracting the fans of the characters to be interested in your game. The best example of how putting in a character from a big franchise doesn't equal massive success & new audience would have to be hypothetical putting in a Call of Duty rep. CoD is huge with a giant player base, but a good majority of those people are only playing CoD and nothing else. Now let's say Nintendo put Captain Price in Smash Bros, I guarantee you that barely any of the CoD fans will care about because they only care about the online battles instead of the story mode. Certain franchise will work in Smash Bros and certain franchise won't work.

Also I agrue that Steve having the potential to put blocks down that would affect terrain isn't an interesting moveset, but a move that could either be extremely broken or extremely useless depending on limitation of how many block that can be put down. It you can just put blocks anywhere including the air then you break the game, you can just put a block down when you're falling and then catch it and recover. If it has to be connected to the ground and all you can really make is a wall go vertical or horizontal then the only use you get from that is blocking the edge to prevent recovery which is also broken. There's so many things that can break the game with that moveset.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

Bad animation? This video shows the best way to handle Steve as a fighter. Minecraft is alright at best to me but saying he couldn't work is bull crap. https://youtu.be/akMjMxXEpTY
Steve has a lot to offer and he is very much a gaming icon. People may not care for him all that much but he is definitely iconic as the face of Minecraft. All in all, he could work and he would make a lot of money because it's Minecraft and that game has been getting huge again thanks to people like PewDiePie and Vanoss and plenty of other YouTubers. Steve is a very viable choice that doesn't have to look bad or be broken to fit into the Smash formula. Besides, the Fighter's Pass is about well-requested characters with new things to diversify the roster. Steve having an almost sandbox-like arsenal would be very fitting for his character and make him incredibly unique. I would pay for a character that brings something fresh to the fight, regardless of his history or popularity.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Bad animation? This video shows the best way to handle Steve as a fighter. Minecraft is alright at best to me but saying he couldn't work is bull crap. https://youtu.be/akMjMxXEpTY
That's actually a little bit cool. It still looks a bit stiff to me but to say Steve can't work is kind of bull. He totally can if a Piranha Plant who only moves up and down in the Mario games can work then Steve with plenty of arsenal at his disposal can totally work too.

Steve has a lot of moveset potential and while I still think he would look a tad stiff and awkward Sakurai could totally find a good work around for that like he did with Pac-Man.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But majority of the people are playing Minecraft are only playing Minecraft because it's cheap and easy to run on a computer. Good majority of those fans aren't interested in other type of games, they just want to play in a sandbox with no real objective. I really doubt that all the Minecraft players are going to buy a game console to they can purchase a fighting game then pay $6 just because a character they don't really care about, especially when a good majority of the are children who have to ask their parents for it. If they don't care for Steve then why would they be interested? People see that 100 million user base and just think that all they have to do is just slap that character into Smash Bros and that it, everyone will line up the door to get it. But honestly that's not the case. You need to look at what exactly the audience like about the game and see how you can implement that into a game like Smash Bros. Look at all the Third Party Characters we got, not only do people like to play those games but they also like the characters associated while them even if they're on a simplistic side. People like Mega Man's, Sonic's, Snake's, and Simon's character so having them be in a crossover roster means you're attracting the fans of the characters to be interested in your game. The best example of how putting in a character from a big franchise doesn't equal massive success & new audience would have to be hypothetical putting in a Call of Duty rep. CoD is huge with a giant player base, but a good majority of those people are only playing CoD and nothing else. Now let's say Nintendo put Captain Price in Smash Bros, I guarantee you that barely any of the CoD fans will care about because they only care about the online battles instead of the story mode. Certain franchise will work in Smash Bros and certain franchise won't work.

Also I agrue that Steve having the potential to put blocks down that would affect terrain isn't an interesting moveset, but a move that could either be extremely broken or extremely useless depending on limitation of how many block that can be put down. It you can just put blocks anywhere including the air then you break the game, you can just put a block down when you're falling and then catch it and recover. If it has to be connected to the ground and all you can really make is a wall go vertical or horizontal then the only use you get from that is blocking the edge to prevent recovery which is also broken. There's so many things that can break the game with that moveset.
How do you know what the Minecraft fans think when you don’t even know them and I assume you don’t bother with the community at all, because if you did you would see people like it much, much more than because it’s cheap and a sandbox? Assuming “cheap” is even a reason anyway; the game has existed since 2009 and has been well-known since 2011 or 2012, fans from 2010 and maybe 2009 are still playing it even (I myself am from Spring 2011; it’s a game you can spend endless hours on if you know what you want to do), it’s seriously popular and that should be obvious and accepted (gosh it really hurts to feel like I need to use “accepted” in this context around here + with how huge Minecraft has been for a long time and how dedicated its fanbase is and everything). It’s also a big survival game, and a creative game with enough freedom that we have people like SethBling making amazing stuff the average player couldn’t do. You know the redstone, command block, and datapack stuff, right? That’s not even close to the end of it.

I even gave an example for how big Steve’s popularity is, which likely isn’t the end of it either.

As you all can see, I take Minecraft very seriously.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
That's actually a little bit cool. It still looks a bit stiff to me but to say Steve can't work is kind of bull. He totally can if a Piranha Plant who only moves up and down in the Mario games can work then Steve with plenty of arsenal at his disposal can totally work too.

Steve has a lot of moveset potential and while I still think he would look a tad stiff and awkward Sakurai could totally find a good work around for that like he did with Pac-Man.
Exactly! Plenty of characters have been molded to fit Smash like R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Piranha Plant, and Pac-Man, and Steve would be no exception. He'd look a bit odd compared to the roster but that's what we need! We need more oddballs to join the brawl!
Honestly, that's why the idea of Joker, Hero, Banjo, Steve, and Geno being in the Fighter's Pass makes sense to me. All of them are well-requested in their own ways and each could provide a new gameplay style towards Smash, which I'm kind of sure is what Reggie might have been referring to (not new franchises but new gameplay styles).

Joker: Arsene
Hero: JRPG Commands
Banjo & Kazooie: Possibly a collectathon mechanic (note the Golden Feathers)
Steve: sandbox-styled Arsenal utilizing materials from his game
Geno: timed-hit projectiles

Nothing about this lineup screams impossible to me.
We've gone from the starling to hero to Edelgard to Sonic 06 to SMRPG remasters and rumors to arguing over Steve being a viable Smash contender. Whew, what a ride

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As someone who never got into any Sony's first party stuff past the PS1 outside of Shadow of Colossus (PS2 was a JRPG/third party machine, never got a PS3 or 4), I can't say I really want any Sony character in Smash.
Same here. I mostly grew up with the N64 and the Gamecube so I didn't really play that many games on the PS2 back in the day due to my favortism towards Nintendo as a child. The only PS2 games I played back in the day was the Kingdom Hearts games, Soul Caliber 3, and the Dance Dance Revolution games. I do have a PS4, but the only games I played on it so far are the Spyro Trilogy which I really enjoyed, the WWE 2K wrestling games, and any fighting games. The only Sony rep I really want or would like to see is Sora even though technically he would be a Square-Enix rep.

I do find it unfair how people **** on Iwata as a business person. It seemed that people judged him solely on the Wii U, and completely forgot about the DS, 3DS, and Wii, which IIRC he was largely responsible for; he became CEO near the end of the GC days I think? And while some people complained about casualization, eh, I still ended up having plenty of fun gaming with the DS, 3DS, and even Wii and Wii U, and thought there were still some great games from Nintendo between these systems, so the casualization was never an issue to me at all.

Not to say Iwata was perfect as a CEO or didn't have his mistakes, but I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some made him out to be. And of course, business stuff aside, Iwata seemed like a great dude.
I think Iwata was a amazing CEO and gamer at heart. Iwata has done a lot of things I can't even begin to mention. A couple of those things I know was he was a tremendous help in coding Mother 2 and the Kanto region in one of the GB Pokemon games. Iwata was a genius.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Based on how he is viewed in the gaming industry, Minecraft probably deserves a spot into Smash Bros just as much if not more than Banjo. I mean, I can easily say that about Steve over Geno as well. I think all three in Smash Bros in the end would be phenomenal. But as of right now, i'm all in on Geno.

I'll get to Rayman/Heavy Weapons Guy support after this 15 year journey is over...

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Based on how he is viewed in the gaming industry, Minecraft probably deserves a spot into Smash Bros just as much if not more than Banjo. I mean, I can easily say that about Steve over Geno as well. I think all three in Smash Bros in the end would be phenomenal. But as of right now, i'm all in on Geno.

I'll get to Rayman, Heavy Weapons Guy etc after this 15 year journey is over...
I feel bad for Rayman honestly. The guy had a trophy and now a png. What a terrible way to represent a classic platformer protagonist. Shantae is the exact same way... :'(

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel bad for Rayman honestly. The guy had a trophy and now a png. What a terrible way to represent a classic platformer protagonist. Shantae is the exact same way... :'(
I was never a Rayman supporter, but that trophy in Smash 4 felt like the biggest slap in the face to any highly requested character fanbase ever.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Based on how he is viewed in the gaming industry, Minecraft probably deserves a spot into Smash Bros just as much if not more than Banjo.
Based on the concept of a Nintendo all-stars fighting game (which is what Smash is at its core--the guest characters are not nor should they be the primary focus), Banjo is leagues ahead of any other 3rd party property, mostly because he used to belong to Nintendo, and in a world where Rare was never sold and Smash never had 3rd parties, Banjo would have been in for the last couple of games.

The 3rd party characters are beginning to be a bit of a drag for me, to be honest. Not really pleased with the prospect of the entire fighter pass being 3rd party (although I don't really consider Banjo and Geno to be in the same category as characters like Joker).

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I don't think you can say people only play Minecraft. Video games (and we're going very broad here because there's no reason to exclude people) are played by over 2 billion people in the world in some capacity. Gaming went mainstream a while ago and every game that someone plays might be their way into more games. Minecraft might be the first game that someone plays and leads to a lifetime hobby. Like, when you're literally the best selling video game of all time, you're going to have a diverse as hell player base with lots of people interested in lots of things. Minecraft has been out for a decade, drop the narrative that it's only played by kids. A lot of people who are playing games these days grew up with it and people are continuing to grow up with it. It's difficult to find a 20 year old who doesn't know the game fairly well. I know plenty of people who still play the game as adults and plenty of adults can play the game these days as well.

Whether you like it or not, Steve has become a character. Maybe he wasn't originally intended to be as such, but that doesn't matter. He's gone beyond original intentions at this point and has developed as a character because of the community. We have Mii's in the game, so it's not like we've been relying on the whole "character" thing really ever. Mr. Game and Watch doesn't have character in his own games, R.O.B. literally doesn't exist in video games outside of Smash and Mario Kart with zero character other than Robot, Pokemon in of themselves do not have character since they're generic species which also applies to Plant, and Villager just represents AC. You can't really just arbitrarily apply the whole character label to third parties just because. For example, Joker is largely intended to be a stand-in for the player in Persona 5 and Hero is just supposed to be another insert for each of the games. There's just not a lot of room to make that argument anymore. As I've argued many times before, representing the franchise can be as important, if not more so, than representing the individual character in question. And there's nothing really wrong with that. We don't get to decide what is or isn't appropriate representation for a new franchise coming to Smash. And the point of Steve or other really popular franchises is to expand the crossover of Smash and appeal to other people. Not every character is going to be for the hardcore Smash fan and not every character will appeal in the same way. If it's a video game franchise, it can work in Smash. There's no restrictions beyond that. If Sakurai has a unique moveset for a COD character, I'm more than happy to entertain that idea. Also, there's no real reason Steve would be inherently broken when Sakurai generally does a good job of implementing and balancing fighters for the game.

Based on the concept of a Nintendo all-stars fighting game (which is what Smash is at its core--the guest characters are not nor should they be the primary focus), Banjo is leagues ahead of any other 3rd party property, mostly because he used to belong to Nintendo, and in a world where Rare was never sold and Smash never had 3rd parties, Banjo would have been in for the last couple of games.

The 3rd party characters are beginning to be a bit of a drag for me, to be honest. Not really pleased with the prospect of the entire fighter pass being 3rd party (although I don't really consider Banjo and Geno to be in the same category as characters like Joker).
Smash isn't just a Nintendo All-Stars fighting game anymore, you've got to move on from that mentality. We're up to 11 unique third party characters and franchises playable in Smash (13 counting Echoes) alongside the likes of Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Rayman, Monster Hunter, Shantae, Virtua Fighter, and Fatal Frame all having content in the game as third parties outside of fighters. We're well past the point of third parties "just being guests" and have been since Smash 4.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I feel like Sakurai views Ubisoft in the same boat as Namco where he just isnt interested in any of the characters within the company. (Aside from Pacman)

Rayman as a disjointed brawler would be so unique. It's a shame really. He's been my second most wanted for a while now. A distant second, but silver is not too shabby at all.

Believe me xpnc xpnc , 3rd parties are starting to annoy me too. At least the ones that seem to have little to no history with Nintendo. But my top 5 almost writes a different story when it comes to that.

I'm just glad I can view Geno as a Mario character and not solely as a Square-Enix character.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You know, all this talk about Steve and Geno and them has given me a discussion topic: What characters would you want to represent each of the following genres? I'll put my list right here. Feel free to give your reasoning.

Platformer: Rayman or Shantae: I feel like both of them should have some playable representation in Smash because the pngs are terrible ways of representing both their franchises. Besides, Rayman was done dirty in Sm4sh. They are two of the most commonly requested platformer characters as of right now, from my knowledge. Shantae would provide a very unqiue transformation mechanic while Rayman's body could work as a sort of bundle of projectiles that can be used and manipulated by the player.

RPG: Frisk or Geno: Many people would say Sans is just a meme character and though you'd be right, Undertale is definitely a unique take on RPGs. Frisk makes for a far more obvious choice than Sans, as they are the main protagonist. Besides, Sakurai has played Undertale and Nintendo may have acknowledged its potential (?). Geno makes sense, as he represents a unique genre in the Mario series and is easily one of the most requested fighters in Smash's history. Frisk could utilize a time-mechanic or, more likely, a soul-manipulation mechanic that would work similar to the Monado arts to a degree. Geno would have timed-hit projectiles.

Sandbox: Steve: Sackboy could make sense but Sony. Anyway, Steve, as I've mentioned before, has plenty of potential in terms of moveset and although he'd look a bit off, he could definitely fit in with some of Smash's other odd fighters. He could utilize a build mechanic, where he could use a small arsenal of reloadable objects.

Horror: Leon Kennedy or Pyramid Head: Leon Kennedy is kind of the obvious choice here but I feel like he, as well as Pyramid Head, are both pretty bland in terms of diversity but I'm certain they could do something with them. I wanted to avoid a certain Fazbear on this one...

First-Person Shooters: Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Heavy, or Tracer: Master Chief is basically the mascot of Microsoft and is very iconic amongst the FPS community. Doom Slayer is right up there with Master Chief as an FPS icon. Heavy is sort of the most iconic character from TF2 and TF2 is a pretty unique take on FPS titles. Tracer is easily the poster child of Overwatch and she would make for a slightly more modern FPS character. I know little about FPS titles but I'm pretty sure they could do plenty with these characters...

Fighting Game: Heihachi or Scorpion: I feel like Heihachi is kind of the obvious one here but Scorpion makes so much sense to me. Both are big characters from their respected franchises and I feel like they'd bode pretty well in the Smash formula. I mean, Ryu and Ken did, so why not another shot?

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Wait, has anything big been going on? My main device (my tablet) has recently broke so I don’t really have an efficient way of being on here. ;_;

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
What characters would you want to represent each of the following genres? I'll put my list right here. Feel free to give your reasoning.
I took liberties and added my own categories. Also chose as few 3rd party characters as possible

Platformer: Chibi Robo. Wikipedia tells me that his games are considered "platform-adventure" so I'm on board. Great character, unique potential for a moveset, literally zero compelling arguments against his conclusion. Unfortunately, as Nintendo does, a single 6/10 game in an otherwise solid series (we'll see this come up a few times) has doomed him to the shadow realm. There's a part of me that wants to put Starfy in here instead.

RPG: Isaac and Geno. I feel completely okay with demanding two characters in this genre because I believe it's an absolutely tragedy that these very highly-requested characters have to this point been left out. Golden Sun's treatment in Smash Bros is completely unacceptable (no doubt due to a 6/10 game in an otherwise solid series again) and Geno being the topic of this thread needs no introduction.

Sandbox: Feel free to eliminate this choice in favour of adding a second character to the RPG slot. If you really pressed me for someone I would probably say Undo-dog because at least he's a Nintendo character and also a dog. His moveset would involve undoing himself from being in the game.

Horror: Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness. No idea who this guy is? Me neither, I never played Eternal Darkness. All I know is that it's a Nintendo game and he's a skeleton wearing Roman centurion armour. He's also significantly cooler than the protagonist, mostly for the fact that you could make a combo montage with Spooky Scary Skeletons as the music.

First-Person Shooter: There aren't any. I've once heard Doom described as the "most Nintendo game Nintendo would never make" which sounds pretty fair to me. If you held a gun to my head I'd pick Doomguy. At least he's been on several Nintendo consoles which is more than I can say for half of the 3rd parties they've shoved in our faces.

Fighting Game: Sukapon. Joy Mech Fight might be the most boring fighting game I've ever played but somehow Sukapon manages to eke his way into every Smash speculation season, which him finally making a substantial role in this game after years.

Rhythm Game: The Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven. By far the coolest character in all of Rhythm Heaven. I don't care about the Chorus Men and I have an irrational dislike of Karate Joe so the Wrestler is my dude. Lucha libre would be a pretty cool "fighting style" to put in Smash.

Strategy Game: Andy from Advance Wars. This would have been a no-brainer but Nintendo decided that Advance Wars was dead after a (you know it's coming) 6/10 game came out in an otherwise solid series. He has a giant wrench. There are so many cool moves you could make for a character like that, a chance to flex some creative muscles like when movesets for Captain Falcon and Fox were designed.

Whatever genre Custom Robo is supposed to be: Ray Mk III. Nintendo apparently cares so little for this series that they decided it wasn't even worth it to re-register their trademark for it. Why did this happen? Well if you've been paying attention you may be able to figure it out! Yes, Nintendo did completely kill Custom Robo because of a 6/10 game in an otherwise solid series! Whodathunkit?

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
You know, all this talk about Steve and Geno and them has given me a discussion topic: What characters would you want to represent each of the following genres? I'll put my list right here. Feel free to give your reasoning.

Platformer: Rayman or Shantae: I feel like both of them should have some playable representation in Smash because the pngs are terrible ways of representing both their franchises. Besides, Rayman was done dirty in Sm4sh. They are two of the most commonly requested platformer characters as of right now, from my knowledge. Shantae would provide a very unqiue transformation mechanic while Rayman's body could work as a sort of bundle of projectiles that can be used and manipulated by the player.

RPG: Frisk or Geno: Many people would say Sans is just a meme character and though you'd be right, Undertale is definitely a unique take on RPGs. Frisk makes for a far more obvious choice than Sans, as they are the main protagonist. Besides, Sakurai has played Undertale and Nintendo may have acknowledged its potential (?). Geno makes sense, as he represents a unique genre in the Mario series and is easily one of the most requested fighters in Smash's history. Frisk could utilize a time-mechanic or, more likely, a soul-manipulation mechanic that would work similar to the Monado arts to a degree. Geno would have timed-hit projectiles.

Sandbox: Steve: Sackboy could make sense but Sony. Anyway, Steve, as I've mentioned before, has plenty of potential in terms of moveset and although he'd look a bit off, he could definitely fit in with some of Smash's other odd fighters. He could utilize a build mechanic, where he could use a small arsenal of reloadable objects.

Horror: Leon Kennedy or Pyramid Head: Leon Kennedy is kind of the obvious choice here but I feel like he, as well as Pyramid Head, are both pretty bland in terms of diversity but I'm certain they could do something with them. I wanted to avoid a certain Fazbear on this one...

First-Person Shooters: Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Heavy, or Tracer: Master Chief is basically the mascot of Microsoft and is very iconic amongst the FPS community. Doom Slayer is right up there with Master Chief as an FPS icon. Heavy is sort of the most iconic character from TF2 and TF2 is a pretty unique take on FPS titles. Tracer is easily the poster child of Overwatch and she would make for a slightly more modern FPS character. I know little about FPS titles but I'm pretty sure they could do plenty with these characters...

Fighting Game: Heihachi or Scorpion: I feel like Heihachi is kind of the obvious one here but Scorpion makes so much sense to me. Both are big characters from their respected franchises and I feel like they'd bode pretty well in the Smash formula. I mean, Ryu and Ken did, so why not another shot?

So, what do you guys think?
i will try to say my thoughts quickly because i'm having trouble sleeping.

Rayman and Shantae: i absolutely agree that these two should've been playable and not used as SPIRITS!!! as a sad way of...promotion, they both have a legacy that is bigger for them to be given great care.

Frisk and Geno: i agree with frisk reping undertale more than sans and she can definitely use a unique mechanic for her arsenal, same with geno(despite not going further into his game to see it.)i hope he still has a chance.

Steve:his idea of a moveset might be interesting, but i still find him to look bad in terms of movement.

Leon and Pyramid Head:i think the former would make much sense since resident evil is popular and the 4th entry is the most recognized. however for the latter despite being iconic wouldn't really represent the silent hill series to it's fullest, i say give the role to harry,heather,james,or alex.

Also on a side note on the certain fazbear i would understand why you want to avoid him but i found a journal explaining how he would work and i think it's decent enough to make him work well, i'll leave a link to it right here: https://www.deviantart.com/zacmariozero/art/Smash-Bros-Ultimate-Bio-Freddy-Fazbear-789697989

Chief,The Slayer,Heavy,and Tracer: they are good chooses for a shooter rep,but if i where to guess who's likely i think doomslayer might make sense since bethesda was suggesting for a smash rep to nintendo,i like heavy,but i fear he's too unlikely(but i can proven wrong if he actually makes it in), master chief is another good one but i think he might not make it this time,as for tracer she might happen,but i don't see her game making it on switch.

Heihachi and Scorpion:the former could easily be the 2nd namco rep and would be a safe pick to represent the fighting genre, while the latter could probably cause controversy in japan(mortal kombat was banned i think in japan), but since the former might have problems with movesets and voice additions(stock voices whatever)i'm leaning towards the latter for a "WTF" character,

i really want to sleep now

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I do think the Geno and Mallow spirits reduce his chances on the fighter pass, as DLC spirit boards are coming with each fighter. While it ain’t remotely impossible, it favours series without any spirits imo, especially with the first three being completely MIA in Smash prior.

That said I still stand by Geno having a real shot as a bonus DLC, especially being a fan favourite. Also the fact Square have only two characters makes getting a third not out of question. I can imagine a remake of the Piranha Plant trailer being interrupted by a Geno whirl.

Phoenix Wright (Fighter 4), Crash Bandicoot (Fighter 5), Geno (Bonus). I’m calling it.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I do think the Geno and Mallow spirits reduce his chances on the fighter pass, as DLC spirit boards are coming with each fighter. While it ain’t remotely impossible, it favours series without any spirits imo, especially with the first three being completely MIA in Smash prior.

That said I still stand by Geno having a real shot as a bonus DLC, especially being a fan favourite. Also the fact Square have only two characters makes getting a third not out of question. I can imagine a remake of the Piranha Plant trailer being interrupted by a Geno whirl.
If we're talking about Chrono or Sora, that isn't really the case since it can still be other characters from other companies that have new releases on sales. Theories don't deconfirm but also don't confirm the remaining DLCs would be from Square. It's everyone's game in my opinion.

Still like said, technically Geno doesn't count a Square rep, so his chance does not have direct relatiohship with Cloud and DQ heroes. It's more about whether Nintendo wat to make the deal with Square to present him in Smash, and whether more Mario rep is welcomed.
Yet like said above, it would be luckier if Square can do a Geno game so he can be nominated legally as a rep of his own franchise.

At this point expecting a bonus DLC to happen out of blue is not likely, if it could be more direct to insert Geno in the base roster. I would just think NIntendo could had insert Geno in more Mario games if they are willing to be so open about him.

Sorry I'm alittle confused, do you count all the genres that have been in Smash bros (since we already have platformer and RPG franchises within Smash), or you're counting games from all genres that haven't been to Smash bros? Like a post I made before, I would just say what if we're asking for genres that we never had before in Smash bros series: https://smashboards.com/threads/is-game-genre-a-factor-of-smash-bros.485115/

To be real, I say Geno deserves a chance for promotion since he has the populartiy and fan demand that NIntendo should take into consideration. But in an objective view of gaming history, Geno did not influence the entire RPG industry like Dragon Quest and Zelda did, if that is what you mean with Leon and Steve to their respective genre. If we only take influence on gaming as a factor to choose characters, I can clearly say Geno is not the pick.

Mario franchise isn't basically about RPGs in the first place, and even if we count it, Mario is the protagonist in all the Mario RPGs as we know.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to spirits...

I honestly think there's no consistency about them mattering at all, when the Mario series keeps getting extra spirits when new games come out anyway. Even Mario Party got a DLC spirit.

I don't get why people are hoping for a Sony character to be revealed at EVO when Smash Bros Ultimate already has Joker, Cloud, and Solid Snake. Smash Bros has more Playstation All-stars then Playstation All-stars Battle Royale. Kratos as in inclusion is... complicated. Kratos from GoW 1 through 3 is a terrible character, I would hate his inclusion more then a certain characters that I'm not allowed to name. Kratos from GoW 2018 is a better character so it wouldn't be that bad, but honestly that version of Kratos is extremely different from the original trilogy's Kratos so they might as well be two different characters. Honestly it's kind of weird how little characters Sony owns.
Does the character's personality even matter? More people care about Corrin's gameplay style than the actual character (especially since Fates' story is terrible).

Though I will agree about Sony not having much, seeing as they treat their mascots like yesterday's garbage to the point that third parties had to save some of them. Sony visibly doesn't give a rat's ass about their own games' history, when even Microsoft has Rare Replay. It's a wonder that they keep using Kratos at all, really.

Maybe it's just me but I really wanted a "boss mode" where one person played as a Dream Friend while the other played as Kirby. They'd have to balance it but I thought that would be really cool. Also, kind of a shame Drawcia, Prince Fluff, Shadow Kirby, Elline, and Galacta Knight were cut but I understand that they wanted to keep mainline games as Dream Friend reps, so I'm ok with that.
In fairness, Fluff wasn't meant to be in a Kirby game in the first place too. Never expected Drawcia and SK to initially be planned though.

I always loved Iwata, and while knowing about what happened between him and Sakurai about Brawl does upset me, it doesn't tarnish my view of him. The man did so much in his time. I know he got a lot of guff about things shortly before his passing and I never understood it. I just remember being so torn apart about losing him that I was upset about it for the better part of the month and anything Nintendo-related in the following months tended to bring it back up.

I remember the first thing I did when I first started getting past it was making a Mii Fighter of each kind of his official Mii in Sm4sh and just playing him a bunch both offline and on. It was the only thing I could do since I'm not very talented, and I felt like having his likeness in a game I loved to play would be a great honor to him and me having fun rather than being sad was something he would have wanted.
He meant well, although not everyone shared his sense of humor, unfortunately. Him establishing a Mother 1 remake behind Itoi's back before formally having him as the director was probably a factor in the latter leaving Nintendo. Amusingly enough, Bamco would have been the publisher.

Though I am thankful for his quirky sense of humor still living on through Nintendo's presentations, it gives them a human face that folks can relate to.

Edit: Huh, incidentally, this just came up: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ke_all_of_us_still_dearly_misses_satoru_iwata

At least WayForward must be happy to have Shantae in at all. Let's not be so down in the dumps here man, her series is still healthy as ever and S5's OP managed to attract more people, so she'll always have a chance to get in Smash.

Ubisoft just shrugged and settled for Brawlhalla. Would be nice if Rayman even got a new game, hasn't had any since the Wii U era...Doesn't help that their recent E3 conference was worthless to all but Let's Dance and Tom Clancy fans. At this point, it's up to the Rayman fans to get less complacent and make a louder movement for Rayman's inclusion.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Steve has a lot to offer and he is very much a gaming icon. People may not care for him all that much but he is definitely iconic as the face of Minecraft. All in all, he could work and he would make a lot of money because it's Minecraft and that game has been getting huge again thanks to people like PewDiePie and Vanoss and plenty of other YouTubers. Steve is a very viable choice that doesn't have to look bad or be broken to fit into the Smash formula. Besides, the Fighter's Pass is about well-requested characters with new things to diversify the roster. Steve having an almost sandbox-like arsenal would be very fitting for his character and make him incredibly unique. I would pay for a character that brings something fresh to the fight, regardless of his history or popularity.
Bro that video makes Steve look horrible with his stiff he is. It's like that video with Pikachu from Brawl that had no animation. It's a fan made video so I'm not going to give it that much crap, but my God if Steve moves like that it would be freaking horrible. It's not just bad animation, it's a lack of animation.

Does the character's personality even matter? More people care about Corrin's gameplay style than the actual character (especially since Fates' story is terrible).

Though I will agree about Sony not having much, seeing as they treat their mascots like yesterday's garbage to the point that third parties had to save some of them. Sony visibly doesn't give a rat's *** about their own games' history, when even Microsoft has Rare Replay. It's a wonder that they keep using Kratos at all, really.
Yeah it does because majority of the people who choose characters to be in Smash Bros are only choosing characters they personally like. I hate Kratos as a character in GoW 1-3, so his inclusion for me would be bad. The moveset isn't what just sells the character, best example would be Joker reveal. People like Joker and you didn't need to show what he can do in order to convince people that he would be a great addition. Crossover is all about the characters, so how that character is recieved is more important. If it's all about having a unique moveset then instead of basing them on existing characters they should just make completely new characters like the other fighting game do.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Since when did this become the 'bash Minecraft Steve' thread?

Listen, I'm not a fan of Steve either, and my feelings for Minecraft are... a hot mess. However, people like who they like, find viability where they logically find it, and form their own opinions. It's extremely subjective. Keeping that in mind, we have Steve fans in this thread as we speak, people who support him AND Geno. Can we not do this here? We don't like when people openly trash Geno, so let's be the example of what to do instead of what NOT to do.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
How do you know what the Minecraft fans think when you don’t even know them and I assume you don’t bother with the community at all, because if you did you would see people like it much, much more than because it’s cheap and a sandbox? Assuming “cheap” is even a reason anyway; the game has existed since 2009 and has been well-known since 2011 or 2012, fans from 2010 and maybe 2009 are still playing it even (I myself am from Spring 2011; it’s a game you can spend endless hours on if you know what you want to do), it’s seriously popular and that should be obvious and accepted (gosh it really hurts to feel like I need to use “accepted” in this context around here + with how huge Minecraft has been for a long time and how dedicated its fanbase is and everything). It’s also a big survival game, and a creative game with enough freedom that we have people like SethBling making amazing stuff the average player couldn’t do. You know the redstone, command block, and datapack stuff, right? That’s not even close to the end of it.

I even gave an example for how big Steve’s popularity is, which likely isn’t the end of it either.

As you all can see, I take Minecraft very seriously.
The game cost less than $30, it's a cheap game. Because it was cheap and didn't require that much power to play on PC is why it spread so quickly. It's like how Angry Birds was so popular because it was a free game on a device that almost everyone owns. Regardless just because a franchise is popular doesn't mean it should be in Smash Bros, because if that was the case then we should have series like Call of Duty, Grand Thief Auto V, Just Dance, Candy Crush, Fortnite, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Madden, StarCraft, Counter-Strike, and Destiny in Smash Bros Ultimate because of how popular the series is.

Also didn't give me an example of how big Steve's popularity is, you gave me example of how popular Minecraft is. Most people don't care for Steve, why put an aspect of Minecraft that barely anyone cares about in Smash Bros? He's the face of Minecraft sure, but that doesn't change the fact that people don't care. There's a good reason why they didn't show Steve in Minecraft Dungeon, it wouldn't have made much of an impact.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm not expecting the video detailing the DQ heroes to drop tonight, but I am guessing they're going to be released on Thursday, maybe Friday if NOJ wants to release them on the weekend since DQ has always been released on weekends after 3's infamy.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So this is happening now? Have we really hit a wall where we have to bash another character? WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS! (I feel like a broken record either saying it here or in the Banjo thread lol)

I will say this, Sakurai has the power and creative mind to make ANY potential fighter work. This is a point that has not been made while reading up on this page (might have missed it in spoilers tags).

Also to Glitch-EGamer Glitch-EGamer those are some good picks!
Platformer: I got Banjo, am happy.
RPG: Geno. With the times hit mechanics and also being a love child of Square and Nintendo is just a great addition.
Horror: Jill Valentine. Cannot deny the defacto of Horror itself.
Shooter: Doom Slayer just makes to much to me. Also, not the first, but definitely the bringer of the modern shooter formula.
Simulator: Goat....don't @ me!

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT...
Oh, an Alpharad fan.

(Sorry for double posting. I know there's a "Edit" option, but this post was WAY longer than the last.)
The game cost less than $30, it's a cheap game. Because it was cheap and didn't require that much power to play on PC is why it spread so quickly. It's like how Angry Birds was so popular because it was a free game on a device that almost everyone owns. Regardless just because a franchise is popular doesn't mean it should be in Smash Bros, because if that was the case then we should have series like Call of Duty, Grand Thief Auto V, Just Dance, Candy Crush, Fortnite, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Madden, StarCraft, Counter-Strike, and Destiny in Smash Bros Ultimate because of how popular the series is.

Also didn't give me an example of how big Steve's popularity is, you gave me example of how popular Minecraft is. Most people don't care for Steve, why put an aspect of Minecraft that barely anyone cares about in Smash Bros? He's the face of Minecraft sure, but that doesn't change the fact that people don't care. There's a good reason why they didn't show Steve in Minecraft Dungeon, it wouldn't have made much of an impact.
Did you... just... swear... on my.... CHRISTIAN SERVER?!?!?!

But yeah, I'll agree with you there. Although I do like Minecraft myself, I just don't think Steve was meant for Smash. That's why I want characters like Vincent Valentine. He had a similar backstory to Cloud, and I think that's what made him popular amongst the fans. And now that guns are a thing in Smash now, I think a gunslinger from Square Enix would be just the thing to make Square's second fighter. Sure, I know you guys want Geno first, but I think he can still be a fighter, despite that four star primary attack spirit lowering his chances...

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I think we're all getting way too deep into a tangent regarding characters that ARE NOT Geno.

In other news... I'm loving the quality of the content and posts from Operation Starfall. Learned a couple of neat things and eager to learn more. The little factoids are really interesting and I think it's smart to rally the fanbase while speculation for Geno is at its peak highest.

Speaking of, was anyone around in the days of the early internet and remember the fansite Secrets of the Seven Stars? Whenever I get on a nostalgic web kick, this is one of the websites I usually remember. When Paper Mario and Superstar Saga released, the site had detailed guides and walkthroughs of each game. It was nice to see a community rallying around this weird style of game that 10ish year old me was previously unaware of and at present obsessing over.

I'm looking for more sites and old archived internet sites dedicated to SMRPG, so if you can find one let me know. Of the top of my head, here are a couple that I can remember...
I'm looking for a specific one that a girl used to run that was cat-themed but all about Super Mario RPG. It had some fanart but was laid out similarly to icybrian or fantasyanime.com with a ton of guides and content from SMRPG... I forget what it was I was looking for from there, but I'm spending my afternoon at work trying to dig it up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom