• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
You mean Mach Rider? I would love to see her, but I don't think they would have a retro rep be DLC.
Yeah, her. I'm just throwing out ideas.

I guess the other spot could be useful for a character they want to use for marketing, but I can't imagine who that could possibly be. *thinks*

I would love Nintendo forever if the last one was Earthworm Jim though.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Again I'm just frustrated and sorry about that. Im not giving up on Geno at all, ever.

I actually never had an issue with DQ or actually wanting the series in smash. Theyee good games and highly impactful. the popularity and longetivity is not to be understated. In fact I'd love to learn moretabout the series.

banjo is my third most wanted so dont get me wrong, I'm overjoyed. Its just that Geno is my favorite character and it stings. I will get over it, but these wounds are very fresh. I'm sorry I lashed out.

I could easily see Geno getting in independent of the pass, and I'll continue to enjoy being here till the time we can celebrate his arrival.

Congrats to DQ fans, cconsider this my olive branch. I've been having a bad day, and it just bottled up and exploded. Take care you guys.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Luminary's the face, not Erdrick. That's actually an important thing since it literally fits what you argued. You were sure a worldwide character would be used, and you were right. That's just what they did.
I honestly didn't expect to be right on that detail of all things, but I guess I just had some decent instinct this time around.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you think it's still possible for us to have Geno in this Fighter Pass or nah?
Like I've been saying, the trail was cold for pretty much everything but Banjo. So Verge's intel on Erdrick was technically right but nobody knew all the specifics and a couple of people like Tansut were flat out wrong. There's no clues for anyone else right now.

D

Deleted member

Now that both of Square's big boy franchises are in the game, I'm starting to think Geno may be inevitable at this point. It may not happen for Ultimate but just maybe for a future Smash title.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I am absolutely ecstatic about everything we got, but of course Geno is a no-show. This is the real test for this fanbase. Even with zero chance to make this Fighter Pass, we have to prove that we can still keep being active and supportive of Geno (and not by bashing other fanbases guys). If we can do that, we'll be impossible to ignore.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Now that both of Square's big boy franchises are in the game, I'm starting to think Geno may be inevitable at this point. It may not happen for Ultimate but just maybe for a future Smash title.
Well if he manages to get a new game before Smash 6.

I actually never had an issue with DQ or actually wanting the series in smash. Theyee good games and highly impactful. the popularity and longetivity is not to be understated. In fact I'd love to learn moretabout the series.
Congrats to DQ fans, cconsider this my olive branch. I've been having a bad day, and it just bottled up and exploded. Take care you guys.
Like said, DQ and Geno are both owned by Square, but DQ stands for a new franchise while Geno is a different story. Personally I don't think they bother each other's chance, nor would one's entry would boost the other's possiblity.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I think it's officially over for Geno with The Hero getting in.

I will say that if a Dragon Quest character were to get in it should've been like that, having alternate skins of different Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm not disappointed by that, but it seems like Geno isn't going to be in this game at all unless a second Fighters Pass happens.

I'm glad Banjo is a thing even though I don't really care for him. Glad for the fans, at least Steve is dead and a ballot character got in.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
With all that happened today, who the hell are the last two characters going to be? It's like... fan wise... how are they going to top this?
Smash never goes for the big guns first. Ridley and K. Rool before Incineroar and Ken. Ryu and Cloud before Corrin and (to a lesser extent) Bayonetta. Mega Man and Animal Crossing before Xenoblade and Duck Hunt.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord

Like said, DQ and Geno are both owned by Square, but DQ stands for a new franchise while Geno is a different story. Personally I don't think they bother each other's chance, nor would one's entry would boost the other's possiblity.
Are you a rock in the shoe? Here, let me take you out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly didn't expect to be right on that detail of all things, but I guess I just had some decent instinct this time around.
Hey, it was a logical conclusion. The Hero Class is very popular. Even Japan's own poll thought that would be coming, not Edrick. It makes sense.

I think it's an incredible stretch to call anything DQ related "worldwide" lol
It's not a stretch. DQ is still known worldwide. It's just niche.

The character they used is known worldwide, unlike Edrick, who is Japan only for the most part, with a tiny fanbase outside of it. So it was fairly obvious they'd use Slime or a more known worldwide appeal Hero. It wasn't that hard to see coming.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice

Yeah I want to agree with this. However, I feel like they're trying to represent different gaming companies with each character.

So theres part of me that feels Hero sealed the fate of anything Square related for the pass.

Though I'll continue to be hopeful!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am absolutely ecstatic about everything we got, but of course Geno is a no-show. This is the real test for this fanbase. Even with zero chance to make this Fighter Pass, we have to prove that we can still keep being active and supportive of Geno (and not by bashing other fanbases guys). If we can do that, we'll be impossible to ignore.
I may not have been atround that long compared to some otheres, but i know this fanbase has already survived similar situations. And hey, I am sure stick around for a game or two at least.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
They might bring Geno's mii costume back with other Square costumes when Erdrick is out.

I'm still holding out hope for the last DLC slot though, Corrin was last in SSB4 and no one really cared about him/her, hopefully they do a long time fan favorite instead of something shocking like, Doom Guy or Master Chief. Also I really hope there is another DLC Pass after this one.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I may not have been atround that long compared to some otheres, but i know this fanbase has already survived similar situations. And hey, I am sure stick around for a game or two at least.
Yeah, I'm certainly not about to quit. Why would we? We still want Geno on the roster, don't we? We can applaud other characters at the same time. I, for one, wanted both Banjo and Geno.

There really isn't anyone else in his way at this point, so I feel that if Geno doesn't make DLC then we'll just have to wait for the next Smash. Oh well. Banjo's in so I'm content until the end of summer, when the next direct presumably will come out.

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
ya know maybe it's the adrenaline talking or the cushioning blow of several DQ folks/Banjo but I think I've grown a fondness for Erdrick and his gaudy, neony primary colors outfit

and the purple one I like the purple one, I think his game was coming out or being remade or something around the time I was getting Nintendo Powers

Mainly it's just nice to shed like 6 months worth of anxiety. The bandaid is off, and to just say it again for like the 3rd time today, I think the future looks bright!

our wounds may be open but
they're breathing in the fresh air now and uh
and ok i think I'm actually going to go on that sprint now I can still barely think straight lmao

D

Deleted member

While browsing through Twitter I saw a post saying there's four slots for characters after Banjo on the website.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Screenshot_20190611-142100_Chrome.jpg

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
While browsing through Twitter I saw a post saying there's four slots for characters after Banjo on the website.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
View attachment 227385
Looks like they are literally updating the site as we speak. So odds are that image is just a glitch (Hero's page is up but not Banjo's). They appear to be moving the DLC section to the top of the page above Mario. It will probably be some time until its stable.

No Mii costumes mentioned today? That's weird.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Looks like they are literally updating the site as we speak. So odds are that image is just a glitch (Hero's page is up but not Banjo's). They appear to be moving the DLC section to the top of the page above Mario. It will probably be some time until its stable.

There will probably be another video like Joker's explaining, Hero's moveset, stage, new mode additions, and mii costumes later.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
If not glitch, the more likely chance is echoes than adding more DLC slots imo. If a second fighter pass happens (not likely imo tho) should double the dlc slots, not just two.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

I have this weird feeling that Sakurai will announce Geno as a final, bonus character. I just feel like its something he'd do.

To clarify its a character that has a certain place with Sakurai, yet always seems to not make the cut. Its clear ultimate would be the 3rd time he wasnt able to. I have a feeling Square will let him in the end

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I already edited my messages saying it was a glitch

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There will probably be another video like Joker's explaining, Hero's moveset, stage, new mode additions, and mii costumes later.
Ah, that makes sense. Probably the day Hero is released.

And hey, nothing stopping Sakurai from doing side DLC like Plant. I wouldn't care if Geno didn't get a stage or music. Its fine that he's playable.

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai were to add another bonus character like Piranha Plant, it would probably be Geno, actually. If not him, then I don't know who else he would pick.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So were there any leaks that had both Banjo-Kazooie and Hero on them? Because I know I had seen rumors of the DQ character being a Hero character rather than Erdrick somewhere.

And also this pretty much solidifies the fact that FP characters don't necessarily have to be "shill" characters. Because even though Hero is most definetely a shill (note the DQ11 port add afterwards) BK isn't connected to anything else at this point. So if anything that could be more of a plus for Geno and other "irrelevant" characters.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So were there any leaks that had both Banjo-Kazooie and Hero on them? Because I know I had seen rumors of the DQ character being a Hero character rather than Erdrick somewhere.
I think Tansut mentioned the Alt idea. His conversation with his insider was given a "Sure why not" when he asked if it was Erdrick. Which fits it being an alt perfectly. It's a vague answer intentionally, and not wrong on a technical level.

Erdrick was generally mentioned as the actual character, not an alt.

Verge actually talked about how Erdrick was more of a class name, so he's safe too.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think Tansut mentioned the Alt idea. His conversation with his insider was given a "Sure why not" when he asked if it was Erdrick. Which fits it being an alt perfectly. It's a vague answer intentionally, and not wrong on a technical level.

Erdrick was generally mentioned as the actual character, not an alt.

Verge actually talked about how Erdrick was more of a class name, so he's safe too.
Right, I guess I'm asking more were there any lists floating around with the Hero thing on them plus BK plus other characters.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So true, but now we've only got two slots left to go, and Erdrick reinforces the notion that Nintendo will push something that promotes newer, more "relevant" releases. Then again, I legitimately have no idea who else they could add.
Wait, relevant newer releases?

Dragon Quest has been around since the 80s, what are you talking about?

Seriously, Dragon Quest is on that Banjo-Kazooie/Geno level in terms of being around except they have been around WAY longer.

God, both these trailers were done so well. Sakurai never disappoints with Smash.

I think it's officially over for Geno with The Hero getting in.

I will say that if a Dragon Quest character were to get in it should've been like that, having alternate skins of different Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm not disappointed by that, but it seems like Geno isn't going to be in this game at all unless a second Fighters Pass happens.

I'm glad Banjo is a thing even though I don't really care for him. Glad for the fans, at least Steve is dead and a ballot character got in.
Imagine if at the end of the trailer, Banjo actually tripped and smashed his head on a the end of a pickaxe, and the camera pans to reveal Steve for Smash instead of Banjo.

That being said, starting tomorrow I will be livestreaming a Playthrough of Banjo-Kazooie in celebration of the reveal! Feel free to follow my twitter (please god please PLEASE! jk Dx) to stay posted as I will also be doing a completely blind playthrough of FF7 to experience the game before the Remake releases.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The bear and bird are in. There is a god in this world. I can't believe it.
I don't care about DQ in Smash at this point.

BANJO AND KAZOOIE ARE IN SMASH
GOD I WASN'T THIS HAPPY SINCE KING K. ROOL REVEAL TRAILER

43054395_288883585055542_8323690521975225615_n.jpg

Firox

Smash Master
Wait, relevant newer releases?

Dragon Quest has been around since the 80s, what are you talking about?
I was specifically referring to DQ 11 which is the latest to debut on Switch. Hence, newer and more relevant than say, DQ 3 or the vintage SNES games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"Summer" almost always means August for whatever reason so we're probably going to be sitting in purgatory for yet another two months... The ride never ends.

On an upnote: all the DLC characters have gotten cinematic trailers so if Geno does wind up getting in, he's getting a kick-ass trailer to go with him so there's that at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom