• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can just imagine Geno in a sweet cinematic trailer. Great details on him and everything.

zippyskipy

Smash Cadet
hey guy i'm back from my "sprint" which was more of a power walk really lmao,
but dumb idea what if they kept doing the K Rool/Banjo joke for reveals
Like they just keep pilling more and more characters into DK's house
DK slowly becomes more perturbed with the situation
in fact the house is just literally destroyed by the end of all the reveals
basically what I'm saying is i kinda just want to see Geno deck Mega Man in the face
PS I say that as a Mega Man fan

D

Deleted member

hey guy i'm back from my "sprint" which was more of a power walk really lmao,
but dumb idea what if they kept doing the K Rool/Banjo joke for reveals
Like they just keep pilling more and more characters into DK's house
DK slowly becomes more perturbed with the situation
in fact the house is just literally destroyed by the end of all the reveals
basically what I'm saying is i kinda just want to see Geno deck Mega Man in the face
PS I say that as a Mega Man fan
Geno's Smash trailer involves him using Geno Beam on Mega Man from behind, then the camera zooms in on him and he poses for it.

That's how I imagine it anyway

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
"Summer" almost always means August for whatever reason so we're probably going to be sitting in purgatory for yet another two months... The ride never ends.

On an upnote: all the DLC characters have gotten cinematic trailers so if Geno does wind up getting in, he's getting a kick-*** trailer to go with him so there's that at least.
I was so pleasantly surprised to see both The Hero and Banjo Kazooie get proper cinematic trailers after Sakurai seemed to say that they weren't happening based upon comments in his book. I really hope that wasn't just because they were big reveals at E3 and it lasts for the rest of the Fighter's Pass... but that's also going to be MONTHS away at this point.

Firox

Smash Master
So I've been analyzing the movesets for Banjo and Hero and here's what I found:

Banjo-Kazooie:
-Down tilt is a low jab with Kazooie's beak. Looks to be fast with good range.
-Side tilt looks like a similar beak jab, but standing
-Side smash is a downward slam with Kazooie's body (poor girl). Looks slow but powerful with good reach.
-Back aerial is the triple peck jab with Kazooie's beak that most of us thought would be the forward air
-Jab is a 1-2-3 with Banjo punching and kicking ala Mario
-Up B is the Flight pad
-Side B looks like the Bird dash with Kazooie's wings offering super armor, kind of like Bowser Jr's clown car
-Down B looks like Banjo crapping out a grenade (Snake, eat your heart out)
-Normal B? Where Banjo uses Kazooie like a gun to shoot eggs.

Looks super fun and original with what I hope is some competitive viability.

Hero:
-Has Marth/Lucina's back aerial
-Link's dash attack
-Jab 1-2-3 looks similar to Roy's
-Side smash is the Marth brigade's side smash
-Specials look very similar to Robin's with lightning and fire along with a wind Up B

So far my consensus on Hero is that his normal attacks are as bland as we would've expected of a typical sword user. His magic attacks do look kind of interesting though, especially the fact that it looks like he can change his specials mid-battle. I'm thinking along the lines of Shulk's mode switching except with attacks instead of physical attributes. Like Palutena from Sm4sh, but during battle instead of equipping custom moves beforehand. I won't lie, I'm very biased against him as a character and as a swordsman, but I'll reserve judgment on his fun levels and competitive viability until after we've seen his kit fully broken down. If he turns out to be a good fusion of Robin, Marth and Link, I just might break down and get him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I've been analyzing the movesets for Banjo and Hero and here's what I found:

Banjo-Kazooie:
-Down tilt is a low jab with Kazooie's beak. Looks to be fast with good range.
-Side tilt looks like a similar beak jab, but standing
-Side smash is a downward slam with Kazooie's body (poor girl). Looks slow but powerful with good reach.
-Back aerial is the triple peck jab with Kazooie's beak that most of us thought would be the forward air
-Jab is a 1-2-3 with Banjo punching and kicking ala Mario
-Up B is the Flight pad
-Side B looks like the Bird dash with Kazooie's wings offering super armor
-Down B looks like Banjo crapping out a grenade (Snake, eat your heart out)
-Normal B? Where Banjo uses Kazooie like a gun to shoot eggs.

Looks super fun and original with what I hope is some competitive viability.

Hero:
-Has Marth/Lucina's back aerial
-Link's dash attack
-Jab 1-2-3 looks similar to Roy's
-Side smash is the Marth brigade's side smash
-Specials look very similar to Robin's with lightning and fire along with a wind Up B

So far my consensus on Hero is that his normal attacks are as bland as we would've expected of a typical sword user. His magic attacks do look kind of interesting though, especially the fact that it looks like he can change his specials mid-battle. I'm thinking along the lines of Shulk's mode switching except with attacks instead of physical attributes. Like Palutena from Sm4sh, but during battle instead of equipping custom moves beforehand. I won't lie, I'm very biased against him as a character and as a swordsman, but I'll reserve judgment on his fun levels and competitive viability until after we've seen his kit fully broken down. If he turns out to be a good fusion of Robin, Marth and Link, I just might break down and get him.
Hero looks to be high tier and Banjo looks to be mid tier to me.

Watch me be completely wrong when they come out haha

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another upside of the last two days is that Square Enix is still burying Nintendo with support, arguably now being one of its biggest third party supporters. It's hard to not be impressed with the huge turn around in support in just the last two years alone.

Firox

Smash Master
Hero looks to be high tier and Banjo looks to be mid tier to me.

Watch me be completely wrong when they come out haha
I correctly predicted that Joker would be high tier based on his speed and combo game, but that was only after I got a chance to play him. I learned my lesson a while ago that you can never truly know a character's potential until you have the controller in your hands a few hours under your belt.

That said, if the Marth brigade is considered high tier, then Hero's similarities may put him up there by default. Can't say I'd be too happy to have yet ANOTHER swordie being spammed in the meta but at least his magic attacks and variable play style should keep things fresh and fun to watch.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I cannot tell a lie, I really am greatly amused that the heros have a kamikaze move. I could see that move having some hilarious and trollish potential.

I would definitely use it as a "**** this ****" manuever if I'm on my last stock and way too behind.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Excited for Banjo-Kazooie - i personally dont care for Dragon Quest but congrats to those who wanted that character in.
THe E3 aside from Smash , zelda reveal - i was hopin on some update on Metroid and Bayonetta 3.
Well, Metroid got reset back to scratch with Retro because they weren't pleased with the final product.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I cannot tell a lie, I really am greatly amused that the heros have a kamikaze move. I could see that move having some hilarious and trollish potential.

I would definitely use it as a "**** this ****" manuever if I'm on my last stock and way too behind.
Hero: "I HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS."

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
May I give my take? As other people have said while yes we have Erdrick and he's a Square rep I still think we shouldn't give up entirely cause quite frankly we don't know how Nintendo views Geno as a Character they may see him as a Square Character or they very well may see him as a Mario Character, In-Fact we do know how they see him and that's as you can see here: A Mario character (Mario logo and Universe: Mario) so they obviously see Luminary as what he is, A Dragon Quest Character and Geno as what he is, A Mario Character. They aren't directly in competition with each other despite them being owned by the same company.

And this is only the second time we've gotten DLC so there is by no means a rule against a company having two characters as DLC despite how unlikely it may seem at first glance, They aren't actually in direct competition and if anything Luminary being in sort of helps Geno in a sense cause with DQ being represented we now have less characters and franchises to worry about getting in our way and as they view Geno as a Mario character if they want to put in a Mario Character they very well may choose Geno.

Even Banjo helps Geno, Especially Banjo may I add. Banjo was an irrelevant 3rd party character who only had nostalgia and fan favoritism going for him yet Nintendo specifically chose Banjo-Kazooie to be in Smash over even Master Chief or Steve so by all means the Irrelevance argument is fully dead, K. Rool heavily damaged it but people could spin it to be "No Irrelevant 3rd party characters" instead of "No irrelevant characters" while Banjo comes along and kills it for good. The last Banjo game was almost 12 years ago for goodness sake. The irrelevance argument is no more.

Not to mention the fact that after all of this happened Sakurai probably has more say in who gets in than we give credit for so he have chosen both Geno and Erdrick. People have also been theorizing that Erdrick was meant to be base game so if that is indeed true, it probably isn't but if it is indeed true we very well may have two Square Characters on our hands.

The simple fact is; We don't know and we still have two more character slots to go. Sakurai is obviously still paying attention to fan demand and that's a good thing for us despite that we do not know who the last two characters are and we don't know for a fact that we can't have two characters from the same company. We just have to wait and see so don't give up hope until the very end. Even then while Sakurai said no to another DLC pack we may have a Piranha Plant situation on our hands.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Another upside of the last two days is that Square Enix is still burying Nintendo with support, arguably now being one of its biggest third party supporters. It's hard to not be impressed with the huge turn around in support in just the last two years alone.
FF7 Remake being PS4 only ("muh grayfix!") and the huge lack of Square stuff in Smash (regarding spirits/music, pre-DQ DLC) make me question this. Not saying you're wrong or anything, but I do wish they'd be a bit more on board.

Obs Geno would be a huge swing in the right direction for me. I wouldn't really care what would happen afterwards (at least I got Banjo, my #2 pick though, so I'm satisfied Smash-wise).

Even Banjo helps Geno, Especially Banjo may I add. Banjo was an irrelevant 3rd party character who only had nostalgia and fan favoritism going for him yet Nintendo specifically chose Banjo-Kazooie to be in Smash over even Master Chief or Steve so by all means the Irrelevance argument is fully dead, K. Rool heavily damaged it but people could spin it to be "No Irrelevant 3rd party characters" instead of "No irrelevant characters" while Banjo comes along and kills it for good. The last Banjo game was almost 12 years ago for goodness sake. The irrelevance argument is no more.
Not to mention he's also low-key partially Nintendo-related in that he's only been in one game (two if you count his cameo in M&L Superstar Saga) which was an exclusive on Super Nintendo, which I'm unsure if it hurts his chances (not being a new universe character; would share the mushroom icon with other Smash fighters, while all DLC characters so far have been new-universe IPs in Ultimate), or helps it (the fact that he's a character from a Mario game, despite being owned by a third-party). I like to think it helps his chances a touch, since I doubt we'd have gotten Banjo-Kazooie if those original games were exclusive to PS1 instead of N64.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
FF7 Remake being PS4 only ("muh grayfix!") and the huge lack of Square stuff in Smash (regarding spirits/music, pre-DQ DLC) make me question this. Not saying you're wrong or anything, but I do wish they'd be a bit more on board.

Obs Geno would be a huge swing in the right direction for me. I wouldn't really care what would happen afterwards (at least I got Banjo, my #2 pick though, so I'm satisfied Smash-wise).
I think this is all because of legal things related to Final Fantasy. From what I remember, it's hard for even Square themselves to use some of their old tracks due to certain factors(I think the composers). And when it comes to FF7, yeah, I imagine a good bit of it is due to graphics, but the remakes already troubled development and possible backing from Sony itself(I imagine Sony would help support that, right?) makes a Switch port kinda difficult while they are still developing. Nintendo and Square are still getting better and better when it comes to their relationship.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My hopes for Geno are so much higher after today overall, even if I feel he's out of the running for Ultimate (unless we get further DLC). The amount of love put into Banjo and the excitement from Nintendo, Rare, and even Sakurai himself is monumental. Sakurai even apologized for keeping us waiting on the bear and bird. He's so very, very aware of what we want, and he tries his hardest to deliver.

I love that man. If we don't get Geno, it's okay because we can safely say he's been trying his damndest. Plus, he gave my childhood heroes back to me. I can never thank him enough. Today is the happiest I've been in a long, long time, and hopefully one day, Geno will also have his moment.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Please don't attack me, but.... LUMINARY LOOKS SO HYPE AND FUN! While I didn't necessarily want the character (obviously), the character themself looks mad fun and pretty good, especially as someone that pretty much uses every sword fighter in the game. Super excited for this one!!

AND MY GOSH, BANJO & KAZOOIE??? LET'S GO!! I had always had the thought we'd get one character at E3 this year (being Luminary/Erdrick/Hero or whatever lol), but for us to get two AND it's Banjo-Kazooie??!? That's insane!! Definitely unexpected for me! Really happy for his fans, and he looks like tons of fun! So happy to see him back!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm really glad to see that most of us are taking Luminary well and congratulating him and his fans. I know some people will be bitter and salty towards them, and alas, there's not much we can do about that, but honestly... we should never deny someone else's happiness because it isn't our own. Personally, he still doesn't interest me much, but at least I don't get to eat toilet paper!

Also, Slime is there. I am very happy for that Slime goodness.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, that Banjo trailer got me really hopeful for what a Geno trailer could do. They went the best route and had a Rare reunion! I bet they would do something very similar with Geno.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Not to mention he's also low-key partially Nintendo-related in that he's only been in one game (two if you count his cameo in M&L Superstar Saga) which was an exclusive on Super Nintendo, which I'm unsure if it hurts his chances (not being a new universe character; would share the mushroom icon with other Smash fighters, while all DLC characters so far have been new-universe IPs in Ultimate), or helps it (the fact that he's a character from a Mario game, despite being owned by a third-party). I like to think it helps his chances a touch, since I doubt we'd have gotten Banjo-Kazooie if those original games were exclusive to PS1 instead of N64.
Square Enix games have a tendency to struggle with performance (at least Final Fantasy XV certainly did and VII Remake seems built on that engine) and also we don't know what the deal might look like with the VII Remake and Sony. They could have a much bigger hand in that game than we know or have bought it's exclusive rights or something. It wouldn't be the first time.

And again, the lack of Final Fantasy content largely comes down to the fact that the rights for a lot of the earlier Final Fantasy content is a legal minefield with often ridiculous prices in licensing that material. Cloud was probably just a victim of the low DLC budget for Smash 4 and they didn't consider it worthwhile to correct it. And I imagine that Cloud wasn't easy to get back into the base game for Ultimate, so I suspect that they were probably more than content to leave the content as it was beyond the Geno and Mallow spirits.

The Hero paints a very different narrative than the one Cloud did with regards to cooperation between Square Enix and Nintendo.

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, that Banjo trailer got me really hopeful for what a Geno trailer could do. They went the best route and had a Rare reunion! I bet they would do something very similar with Geno.
Mario, Peach and Bowser would have to be involved.

have Mario and Peach be happy to see geno again similar to how DK and Diddy were happy to see banjo.

have Bowser act like he doesn't care, but when no one is looking have Bowser smile at Geno's return.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Mario, Peach and Bowser would have to be involved.

have Mario and Peach be happy to see geno again similar to how DK and Diddy were happy to see banjo.

have Bowser act like he doesn't care, but when no one is looking have Bowser smile at Geno's return.
Bowser was generally like that in SMRPG, so it would make sense. I imagine Mallow would appear in some way, even if he ends up just being a background element of the Geno stage. I am also thinking about how they would handle the crossover element in this trailer. As heartwarming as the reunion would be, seeing some crossover interaction would also be great.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Ha, glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't given up hope on Geno thanks to Hero's inclusion (god that is such a bad name. Call them by their titles, or Brave, or hell even Dragon Warrior).

There's still plenty of time to go before we see hide or hair of the Mii costume.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ha, glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't given up hope on Geno thanks to Hero's inclusion (god that is such a bad name. Call them by their titles, or Brave, or hell even Dragon Warrior).

There's still plenty of time to go before we see hide or hair of the Mii costume.
It's a bit generic, yeah, but I think it was the correct choice if they were looking for a name that fit every single character. The Luminary might be base, but it's clear they are trying to put all of them on as equal footing as possible.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Please don't attack me, but.... LUMINARY LOOKS SO HYPE AND FUN! While I didn't necessarily want the character (obviously), the character themself looks mad fun and pretty good, especially as someone that pretty much uses every sword fighter in the game. Super excited for this one!!

AND MY GOSH, BANJO & KAZOOIE??? LET'S GO!! I had always had the thought we'd get one character at E3 this year (being Luminary/Erdrick/Hero or whatever lol), but for us to get two AND it's Banjo-Kazooie??!? That's insane!! Definitely unexpected for me! Really happy for his fans, and he looks like tons of fun! So happy to see him back!
Like I keep saying, Sakurai finds a way. Characters like Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Ryu, Inceniroar, and now Hero were usually boring as all hell as basic concepts but Sakurai keeps finding ways to make characters interesting. They basically found a way to please the entire Dragon Quest fanbase and accurately represent 30+ years of a games with a single character. That's impressive.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, at least we finally know who the Square rep is and can stop talking about the DQ rep as some unknown quantity. Thank God, honestly. They even managed to surprise us by having the DQ rep actually be four different protags in one. Still don't love the character, but I'm mostly glad we can stop discussing Erdrick in the Geno thread, to be honest.
Also holy ****, that Banjo trailer was the greatest thing I've ever seen. Even aside from the bear and bird making their grand return, I think my new favorite headcanon is that DK, Diddy, and K. Rool (and I guess Banjo now) just hang out at DK's house in their spare time. I didn't think they could top the K. Rool trailer, but they did. (By directly lampshading the whole thing, funnily enough.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
With all that happened today, who the hell are the last two characters going to be? It's like... fan wise... how are they going to top this?
Hard to say.

Not counting Echoes, these major gaming companies got newcomers:

Konami got Simon Belmont from Castlevania.
Sega got Joker from Persona 5.
Square Enix got Dragon Quest Heroes.
Microsoft got Banjo-Kazooie.

Capcom and Namco didn’t get newcomers (not counting Echoes like Ken).

Capcom could get a Resident Evil character or a Monster Hunter character.

Namco could get a Tekken character or a Tales character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Like I keep saying, Sakurai finds a way. Characters like Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr, Ryu, Inceniroar, and now Hero were usually boring as all hell as basic concepts but Sakurai keeps finding ways to make characters interesting. They basically found a way to please the entire Dragon Quest fanbase and accurately represent 30+ years of a games with a single character. That's impressive.
And that is why I am never mad with any Smash choice.

In the Hero trailer, I definitely started to dread things when I realized the horse was probably from Dragon Quest, but then it was the Luminary! The shock of that kept me in trance up until all the other hero's showed up and then I was all sorts of hype when I saw the variety of spells and all the DQ fanservice, that while I didn't understand due to not knowing the series, showed all the love and heart Sakurai put into this iconic series.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Totally agree! Every character he makes into a fighter is always something super fun and (mostly) unique,it's amazing!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I had a feeling it was a Hero Class. Dragon Warrior and Dragon Questor as names are kind of fun ideas, but Hero fits just fine. It's just another class-based character like Villager, Pokemon Trainer, and Wii Fit Trainer. It fits perfectly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And that is why I am never mad with any Smash choice.

In the Hero trailer, I definitely started to dread things when I realized the horse was probably from Dragon Quest, but then it was the Luminary! The shock of that kept me in trance up until all the other hero's showed up and then I was all sorts of hype when I saw the variety of spells and all the DQ fanservice, that while I didn't understand due to not knowing the series, showed all the love and heart Sakurai put into this iconic series.
I have to agree with the both of you. Sakurai finds a way to truly make any character he comes across interesting and unique in their own ways while also honoring every individual legacy that needs to be acknowledged when choosing characters for Super Smash Bros. There is a reason he is basically the only developer I have complete faith in and he's the only developer that I would so blindly buy something like the Fighter's Pass from. He has earned it.

And I mentioned this in the Banjo Kazooie thread, but let's take a minute to appreciate how much Sakurai seems to have stepped up his DLC game from Smash 4 in terms of content. Joker came with a wide variety of content including special references to Persona 3 and Persona 4 in addition to unique victory screen animations and attributes, The Hero pulled a Bowser Jr. with Dragon Quest content and references literally every one of the main Dragon Quest games, and Banjo Kazooie alone would be such a big deal, but they seem to have some cool mechanics with the Golden Feathers and the Spiral Mountain stage maybe rotating alongside Grant Kirkhope composing a remix that he confirmed online would be in the game. Each of these characters also comes with a stage, a Classic Mode route, a brand new Spirit board, and music. This DLC just feels like such a cut above what we got from Smash 4 (Even someone like Ryu didn't come close to any of these characters in terms of content, and he probably had the most in Smash 4's DLC cycle). I see why Sakurai has taken so long to get this DLC to us and I'm so willing to forgive the limited communication thanks today's Smash offerings.

If Geno gets in, he'd be treated just as well in terms of content, and that makes the rest of the Fighter's Pass incredibly exciting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I had a feeling it was a Hero Class. Dragon Warrior and Dragon Questor as names are kind of fun ideas, but Hero fits just fine. It's just another class-based character like Villager, Pokemon Trainer, and Wii Fit Trainer. It fits perfectly.
Ah yes, we can never forget classic video game classes like the Hero, Villager and Yoga Instructor.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the Hero and Banjo both really helped Geno's chances. There's no giving up now, boys, there's still two slots in the pass, and who knows if there's more past that.

Dan

Smash Lord
Whether you like Banjo or not, today was a victory for us... Nintendo chose the DLC, and they put a '90s character with no foreseeable future in the game; no advertising for a new game (or even port) on their console, nada.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah yes, we can never forget classic video game classes like the Hero, Villager and Yoga Instructor.
No, no we cannot.

Classes without an official name is such a big thing.

Sarcasm or not, I think these are very healthy characters in game. I love the Hero Class for what it did. It introduced the idea of a character who can do anything. DQ1 is practically the original Red Mage. Mario didn't even start doing something similar till later, being your average character who can do anything you want to to some degree.

Firox

Smash Master
Almost every other Smash character: "Oh, so were NOT heroes!? :mad088:"
Ganondorf, Bowser, K. Rool, Ridley and Wolf turn in unison, "No. No we are not." (well, Ridley just screeches, but you get the idea)

D

Deleted member

I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, Hero and Banjo look extremely fun to play. When Banjo comes out in Fall, I may just pick him up and figure out his moveset and what not, see what combos he has. As for Hero though, I'm not as interested but I will still try them out, though the most I'll most likely do with them is complete Classic Mode and Mob Smash with them.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380

where did you get your profile pic.... i love it

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that all the DLC characters have in common is that they were all judged as virtually impossible before this DLC cycle.
Truth. I'm completely speechless that after so much copyright discussion that not only do we have Erdrick, but a few other Heroes as well. We also have a protagonist with zero Nintendo presence and a console competitor's IP.

Honestly, at this point I think Nintendo will take the plunge and represent survival horror with Resident Evil and just go full blown whacky and make a deal with Disney for Sora.

Doomguy and Ryu were once surprising and compelling suggestions. Now they feel too safe of guesses haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom