• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Just in case no one's thinking about it, I would very much like to point out how (after mulling over it) a Geno announcement at the VGAs wouldn't make sense, just as his inclusion in the base game wouldn't work out either due to Square already missing out on the Cloud DLC money.

A Geno VGA appearance doesn't work out due to the VGAs being, well about current and popular games getting the spotlight. A character from a 22 year old RPG from the Super Nintendo just doesn't make a lick of sense all things considered.

Though whether or not that's a good or bad thing regarding Geno's chances I can't say, but I am still holding on like a goshdang rock that he still has a good chance of being a potential fighter, but just not revealed at a grand event like the VGAs.

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
This definitely sends the message to me that the chances for Geno are gone. I have no problem with Persona at all, I've been into the games for years, but I'd be lying to you if I said I was a bigger Persona fan than a MegaTen fan.

And really, that right there sets the biggest nail in the coffin for me. The fact that Persona, an RPG series that's never had a mainline debut on a Nintendo console, got in over literally any other mainline Megami Tensei representative first, a series which was literally born on Nintendo consoles and is the very reason Persona exists at all, tells me that the DLC picks are going to be characters that have mainstream popularity over characters with legacy.

Also way to go, Atlus. Milk that Persona 5 teat just like you milked P4 :|

Pristine

Smash Cadet
This announcement made one thing very clear

A bunch of supposed “leakers” such as LeakyPandy got BTFO
I'm still interested to hear Vergeben's response. And it better be a damn good one considering Square rep fans of all kinds have practically hyped for nothing.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
A Geno VGA appearance doesn't work out due to the VGAs being, well about current and popular games getting the spotlight. A character from a 22 year old RPG from the Super Nintendo just doesn't make a lick of sense all things considered.
This is actually somewhat persuasive, but I am still not getting my hopes up. Geno's chances rely on Joker being an anomaly. I just have a bad feeling Joker is going to be representative of the dlc we get.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still interested to hear Vergeben's response. And it better be a damn good one considering Square rep fans of all kinds have practically hyped for nothing.
Who was the one that even started the rumor that the Square character would be first?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Joker was a popular request, like Geno. He's not out of the running just because Joker was announced first, remember that. The VGAs are not a Nintendo Direct. Even if I'm a little confused at what makes Joker so popular compared to previous protagonists, including those from SMT.

The battle rages on.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
The 4 other DLC characters are surely gonna be unpredictable with what we just got today

I’m kind of looking forward to it although my hopes for Geno have greatly fallen even if there is a little hope inside me that he’s one of the 4 characters

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
Joker was a popular request, like Geno. He's not out of the running just because Joker was announced first, remember that. The VGAs are not a Nintendo Direct. Even if I'm a little confused at what makes Joker so popular compared to previous protagonists, including those from SMT.

The battle rages on.
Popular, yes, but I'm pretty sure Joker didn't make the ballots, given that Persona 5 wasn't even out until September 2016, 7 months after Bayonetta released.

Advertising, my friend.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
And really, that right there sets the biggest nail in the coffin for me. The fact that Persona, an RPG series that's never had a mainline debut on a Nintendo console, got in over literally any other mainline Megami Tensei representative first, a series which was literally born on Nintendo consoles and is the very reason Persona exists at all, tells me that the DLC picks are going to be characters that have mainstream popularity over characters with legacy.
This also doesn't bode well for Geno, but I don't think I would say he has a 0% chance. I think he has a 2-5% chance of getting in at this point.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think people who keep saying Geno is an expected pick need to take a step back and remember the pages of discussions where the main thing people had against Geno was him being a side character from a 20 year old game. Reggie wasn't specifically speaking to Smash fans. He was speaking to the audience of the VGAs. Do you think the general audience of the VGAs including all the little zoomers on Twitch know/recognize Geno? There are a good amount of people in the Smash community that for years have said Geno is never going to happen because he's too obscure. So in the grand mainstream opinion (not in the Smash community) do you really think Geno is expected or unexpected?

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone has commented on this yet but Xenother posted on GameFAQs that the Joker reveal was news to him also.

Hmm...

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Yeah, not everyone who plays Smash keeps up with leaks and potential DLC characters. Geno, Banjo, and others like them would definitely be unexpected for a general audience, and that's clearly who Reggie was aiming the comments towards.

Also does this prove the French Train Station Video theory? Because that's honestly hilarious that Nintendo did this twice now.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah, not everyone who plays Smash keeps up with leaks and potential DLC characters. Geno, Banjo, and others like them would definitely be unexpected for a general audience, and that's clear who Reggie was aiming the comments towards.

Also does this prove the French Train Station Video theory? Because that's honestly hilarious that Nintendo did this twice now.
Nintendo marketing obviously gives zero ****s at this point. If a character is eventually going to be in a spot you can bet your ass they're going to include an obvious black space for that character subtlety be damned.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If Persona 5 is a PS game only right now does that technically give Sora more legs to stand on now? Kinda worried about that
Persona Q 2 recently released in Japan on the 3DS and Joker is one of the main characters in that game

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, not everyone who plays Smash keeps up with leaks and potential DLC characters. Geno, Banjo, and others like them would definitely be unexpected for a general audience, and that's clearly who Reggie was aiming the comments towards.

I know, right? At this point, I now know to believe any sort of box theory or missing slot theory that might arise in the future.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Why do you guy's think this spells doom for Geno? I personally don't think his chances have been any better!
I don't think Bethesda is getting a rep what so ever. The reason for that is that Doom Guy talks came after a person from Bethesda said that they had talked about Smash Bros. And I can't see, because of something that is called NDA, that this Bethesda individual would be able to speak about it so casually had they chosen or still at a talk about it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't think Bethesda is getting a rep what so ever. The reason for that is that Doom Guy talks came after a person from Bethesda said that they had talked about Smash Bros. And I can't see, because of something that is called NDA, that this Bethesda individual would be able to speak about it so casually had they chosen or still at a talk about it.
>Geno
>Bethesda rep

Is Todd Howard hiding something the greater public is not aware of?

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Look guys. I've calmed down a bit. There's no need to be gloom and doom. Even with his Spirit (however you feel about that, we've all talked about it before), this only spells good things for Geno. I'm confident that Geno's chances have not gone up or down because of this. He still has a great chance! So don't worry, I'm absolutely sure if Nintendo was considering a Square rep, Geno was definitely at least considered. And hey, I know a lot of you haven't played Persona, but it isn't going to be a typical anime swordsman dude type thing. Trust me, the music, stage and Joker himself will be verrry good. I wouldn't lie to you

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, but that's a spin-off. Persona 5 didn't debut on Nintendo.
I know, but who's to say a game has to debut on Nintendo to get in Smash? If Nintendo wants to put it in and can gets the rights to it then it's their decision

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
258ED138-F60A-4DA0-825F-7DA2EC18E397.gif

THE DAY IS FINALLY HERE! :colorful:

Can’t wait to play it this evening, gonna be going through Classic, VS, and World of Light until I have everyone unlocked.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Look guys. I've calmed down a bit. There's no need to be gloom and doom. Even with his Spirit (however you feel about that, we've all talked about it before), this only spells good things for Geno. I'm confident that Geno's chances have not gone up or down because of this. He still has a great chance! So don't worry, I'm absolutely sure if Nintendo was considering a Square rep, Geno was definitely at least considered. And hey, I know a lot of you haven't played Persona, but it isn't going to be a typical anime swordsman dude type thing. Trust me, the music, stage and Joker himself will be verrry good. I wouldn't lie to you
The Persona series is pretty great

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
I think when Reggie said “These characters and not ones that you would anticipate” he might have geared that message towards the Mainstream Media saying “Hey we have some characters that are from irrelevant yet popular games as DLC”

Idk just thinking things through it doesn’t feel like this changes anything about Geno’s chances.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think when Reggie said “These characters and not ones that you would anticipate” he might have geared that message towards the Mainstream Media saying “Hey we have some characters that are from irrelevant yet popular games as DLC”

Idk just thinking things through it doesn’t feel like this changes anything about Geno’s chances.
It might be another "Until Now" situation

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213

This. I feel like people are jumping into quick conclusions after his words, but we will see.

Actually, kinda unrelated, isn't Sakurai a Persona fan? I remember him talking about how great P5 is and how much he loved the UI.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't get this either.

But it kind of depends on Nintendo's definition of "popular with the general gaming crowd. Because as you can see from a lot of the comments here there are a lot of people who don't really know Persona. I wouldn't say it's a super mainstream game on the level of Final Fantasy or KH.
as an SMT fan myself, I can say with certainty that the persona series and smt in general are cult classics, and even the most gamer-y gamers that I know don't know too much about SMT/Persona aside from whats come out of my mouth. it would be one of those game series that I would completely ignore if I knew absolutely nothing about. in fact I only KNOW about persona because its affiliated with Shin Megami Tensei, and even then.. im more into the mainline SMT games, and don't bother with the Persona series at all.

im hoping joker brings over some old school SMT music!

JoeStronger

Smash Cadet
I know, but who's to say a game has to debut on Nintendo to get in Smash? If Nintendo wants to put it in and can gets the rights to it then it's their decision
You know what did debut on a Nintendo console?

The actual Megami Tensei series that Persona is a spin-off of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The fact that Nintendo jebaited its own employees to keep this a secret is pretty amazing. "You'll never see me coming" indeed. This swerved literally everyone behind the scenes. Bravo, Nintendo, bravo. Some of my takes:

-Further confirmation that newcomers will be wanted on a worldwide scale. (Dragon Quest BTFO, IMHO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will have global recognition and be important to gamers worldwide (Dragon Quest double BTFO)

-Further confirmation that newcomers will tread new ground in what they can do and how they can fight.

-Further confirmation that hard shills will probably not be part of DLC.

-Nintendo is going in deep and hard to please fans.

Tonight was a good night if you ask me.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Is anyone else seeing a bunch of people online quoting Reggie as saying the DLC will all be from franchises not yet in Smash? Because I didn't hear him say that. Just that they would be unexpected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom