• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This pick gives me the confidence I need to say that the DLC pass will be about making dream's happen.
Joker
Lloyd
Banjo
Geno
Porky/ Insert First Party
Didn't Reggie say that all newcomers would be "one's you wouldn't anticipate"? Could've heard wrong though, albeit that's what's stated on Gamespot.
I'm honestly scratching my head at this. Did Joker ever make it onto any Ballot polls? Because if Nintendo is just going with picks that no one really asked for I could see a lot of people being a bit mad if their big character doesn't get in just because Nintendo wanted to be unpredictable.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5, characters that you wouldn't anticipate to be in Smash Bros Ultimate"
"New to the series."

That's literally every character in Video Game history that hasn't been playable.

TBone06

Smash Ace
The one thing I can say is that currently (aside from the Geno and Mallow spirits) Super Mario RPG has NOTHING in the game, no music, no stage. So maybe it doesn't rule him out completely. I guess we'll see.

D

Deleted member

Good night everyone! I am so surprised, there are no leakers anyone can trust, we just have to hope for our star boy :)

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I'm honestly scratching my head at this. Did Joker ever make it onto any Ballot polls? Because if Nintendo is just going with picks that no one really asked for I could see a lot of people being a bit mad if their big character doesn't get in just because Nintendo wanted to be unpredictable.
Well since Persona 5 released in Japan on September 2016, no. Maybe someone else from another Persona or Shin Megami Tensei game.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5, characters that you wouldn't anticipate to be in Smash Bros Ultimate"
I wonder what his definition of """new""" is. Like does he count costumes of characters as having been in the series?

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Yeah exactly. I can get Nintendo trying to be "quirky" by adding characters that no one would expect because it can lead to surprising reveals but honestly, that's just such a dangerous gimmick. People WILL get mad and Sakurai really won't have any way to defend himself, especially after seeing the fervent requests of long time fans via ballots.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think what happened is that they listened to more recent requests. Crash, Joker and Doom Guy have all blown up in the period leading up the Ultimate, so I think they're sampling some wishes from the cycle.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I just want one or two of the DLC characters to not be third party anime characters I don't know about... Please don't let this be anything like Smash 4's DLC.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Good thing I was right in saying I wasn't 100% sure on VGAs LOL. The thing that was implied to my source did not happen which is exactly why I said it wasn't 100%. I explained to many people in DMs the circumstances surrounding it and why I thought what he saw implied something at the VGAs. Otherwise, this would've blown up in my face after all.

I'll be straight up and say that everything here was a major surprise for me. This was INCREDIBLE. Joker was cloud-tier for me, I thought he'd be impossible... I'm so extremely happy right now.
Same here dude. Same here. I'm so happy to see Persona in Smash

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I'm fine with joker, but I'm worried about what this precedent portends for the rest of the DLC.
While I played SMTIV on the 3DS, I never played any Persona game, so Joker doesn't do anything for me at all except maybe point towards a Persona 5 port for Switch.

It wasn't Steve atleast I guess lol.
steve is still unexpected relatively speaking. and you know who else is? Katalina from granblue fantasy. If this ends up being our timeline, I will lose it.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I feel kinda meh about Joker's inclusion. Happy for people who wanted him though, but I can't seem to get myself hype over it and I found P5 to be a great game.

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Is anyone in pst having an issue getting into the game? I hope we dont have to wait til midnight in our timezone.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm a little worried that the rest of the DLC Packs may also end up being third parties that are popular with the general gaming crowd, but not within the Smash fanbase specifically. That's the precedent Joker sets, and if true, it doesn't look good for us, especially given all the talk about Sephiroth recently.
I dunno. I'm gonna go play some Smash to take my mind off the situation, then come back with a clear head and see what I think then.

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Eh at this point I wouldn't even doubt a Blazblue rep or even another Konami rep, namely Jehuty from Zone of The Enders.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think you should all cheer up a little bit! Nintendo is clearly going to make dreams come true with this fighters pass.

By the way: it was fighters pass.. ONE. If that implies what I think it implies.... ;3

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone in pst having an issue getting into the game? I hope we dont have to wait til midnight in our timezone.
I'm having issues too. Says it's not available... I thought it was a universal/simultaneous release.

EDIT: IT WORKED!! Just took 15 mins haha

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'm at least glad I can rip-off the band-aid immediately rather than wait for the final DLC character.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yes! I'm also having issues, and I'm on the east coast. I'm just redownloading the danged thing...hopefully that works
Edit: and it's going to take an hour!! So upset right now...:mad:

I thought predownloading was supposed to prevent this kind of thing.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I am fine with joker, but I am convinced that the characters I wanted to get in are 100% dead now.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Why do you guy's think this spells doom for Geno? I personally don't think his chances have been any better!
That's easy: Reggie said characters that are new to Smash and ones we would never expect. Joker was talked about early but got lost in the shuffle of fake ass leakers.

Geno isn't new: we had his Mii Costume in Smash 4 and he's a Spirit in Ultimate. This is the end of the road for our blue puppet boi I'm afraid...

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Why do you guy's think this spells doom for Geno? I personally don't think his chances have been any better!
In addition to polarpanda hearing news from reputable sources that Geno is leakbait, Reggie basically said the characters will be unexpected. With Joker being added, I think he really means it. There isn't anyone who is more expected than Geno imo.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't get this either.

I'm a little worried that the rest of the DLC Packs may also end up being third parties that are popular with the general gaming crowd, but not within the Smash fanbase specifically. That's the precedent Joker sets, and if true, it doesn't look good for us, especially given all the talk about Sephiroth recently.
I dunno. I'm gonna go play some Smash to take my mind off the situation, then come back with a clear head and see what I think then.
But it kind of depends on Nintendo's definition of "popular with the general gaming crowd. Because as you can see from a lot of the comments here there are a lot of people who don't really know Persona. I wouldn't say it's a super mainstream game on the level of Final Fantasy or KH.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Good thing I was right in saying I wasn't 100% sure on VGAs LOL. The thing that was implied to my source did not happen which is exactly why I said it wasn't 100%. I explained to many people in DMs the circumstances surrounding it and why I thought what he saw implied something at the VGAs. Otherwise, this would've blown up in my face after all.

I'll be straight up and say that everything here was a major surprise for me. This was INCREDIBLE. Joker was cloud-tier for me, I thought he'd be impossible... I'm so extremely happy right now.
This really is a good thing! Hopefully we're in for some good treats! :)
Here's my mind right now.

Melee Announcer: WOW, INCREDIBLE !

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sounds like all of you don't expect Geno.....

If only unexpected characters made it into the DLC pass.
That only works if he was unexpected when they finalized DLC, which is the exact opposite because we voted for him in droves.

At this point for the fan picks, I think we can only hope for Banjo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom